Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

EP can't bring Heineken on board and then let a load of competitors set up shop.

Well this is different from what you said. You said there was enough choice already. Now you are making the point that I already made - that Heineken seems to have a monopoly deal to the exclusion of competitors. I'm not denying that's what has happened, my point is that I wish it wasn't so.

Given the scale, and that most people's preference will probably still be for Heineken beers, convenience etc, I really don't see how letting a few smaller breweries set up a stall or two would make a massive dent in their profits, and it would make the festival better for awkward customers like me! In fact, it would probably make me drink more of the Heineken beers towards the end of the night.

In Beatyard Becks and the Brewtonic tents were happily situated side by side. If Heineken refuse to have any competition in the same festival, they could go to Diageo, InBev, Carlsberg group etc, Molson Coors who all have the capacity and branding to cover such a large festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

How were London Grammar? Haven't seen them mentioned much, were they on the main stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

MadYaker wrote: »
    How were London Grammar? Haven't seen them mentioned much, were they on the main stage?

I thought they were great. Hannah Reid's voice is insanely good. I was very impressed with how great lyrically she was live. Probs would have been better in EA though.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

Cracking Picnic. Crowd was great, saw zero trouble

Only gripe I had was the lack of camping space. We arrived at half 1 on Fri and the place was absolutely jammed. Couldn't find a anywhere to camp. Bad buzz when you have all your camping gear/cans
    Eventually found somewhere in Joplin after an hour or so of looking

Will go through the acts tomorrow when my brain re-balances!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Thoughts after my first picnic

The Good

- Great 3 days of music overall.
    - Band of Horses was my highlight. The reaction to The Funeral was unbelievable! The band even paused half way through to acknowledge it. Think they were pleasantly surprised.
    - Japandroids were also very good. Loved Brian kneeling behind the oblivious security guard with the wooly cap and rocking the sh!t out of his guitar at the end. Seeing the security supervisor explain and reenact the whole thing to the guard after was brilliant to see.
    - Security was very very sound. Polite, searches were quick (and mostly surprisingly not thorough at all) and they weren't afraid to have a laugh. Also got into main arena with cans a good few times by using the entrance out of Hendrix beside the lake swimming. (Think public shouldn't be allowed through this but we were only turned away once.)
    - Good policy on shtuff for personal use. We got talking to an undercover and he said they were told during a briefing to let people on with amounts considered for personal use. They were only targeting dealers - which is fair enough.
    - Very good vibe overall. Only saw one bit of potential trouble as I was leaving on Sunday when two lads started squaring up to each other in Hendrix. They hugged it out in the end.
    - Michael Kiwanuka was very good. Could see his passion.
    - No garda checkpoints on Sunday night - hadn't drank but was good to not be held up coming home.

The Bad

- Was very disappointed with Perfume Genius. Sound was off and just wasn't what I was expecting. Left after a few songs.
    - Friday's cold weather was Baltic.
    - Hendrix noise from amusements and rides. My god, why do they pump loud horrendous music out of the rides until 4am? A mix of this, the cold weather and people walking on my tent meant I got feck all sleep on Friday night.
    - Chatters during acts - Very bad group in front of me during Kiwanuka. Women chatting about their weddings and futures.
    - Lack of camping space - arrived at half 12 and place was packed - squashed our tents beside the path after 20 mins of looking. Campsites were very cramped.

The Ugly

- Lot of robbing in Hendrix, especially of chairs, gazebo type things and tents.
    - Drank Heineken all weekend.
    - Kids around collecting the cups - good idea to reduce rubbish but at night defo not the place for kids. Saw a few individuals with eyes as wide as digestive biscuits, wandering aimlessly around - do you really want children around this?
    - Keywest (I think) were on early on Sat and cursed a lot which felt very unnecessary - especially with a good few very young audience members.

Goods far outweighed the bad. Really enjoyed myself and hope to return next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Can't sleep body is detox you win again ep see ya next for our yearly battle

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

So........... How was Radiohead? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Given the scale, and that most people's preference will probably still be for Heineken beers, convenience etc, I really don't see how letting a few smaller breweries set up a stall or two would make a massive dent in their profits, and it would make the festival better for awkward customers like me!

In Beatyard Becks and the Brewtonic tents were happily situated side by side. If Heineken refuse to have any competition in the same festival, they could go to Diageo, InBev, Carlsberg group etc, Molson Coors who all have the capacity and branding to cover such a large festival.

You're being very naive. Heineken are out to maximise their own profits. Do you honestly think a company of that size would even consider sharing space with direct competitors like Diagio just so you can have a better time? Don't be ridiculous. Ditto your comparison to a dedicated food and drink set-up like The Big Grill. It's a music festival we're talking about here.

I'd love if it there was more choice, but glad that we even have the options that we do. It's not that long ago when all you had at an Irish festival were Heineken, Sprite, Fanta, Coca Cola and Deep River Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,721 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Awful. Didn't recognise any of their songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

MJohnston wrote: »
    Sad little idiots all weekend who loved to remark (too loudly, but obviously they meant it) that it was crazy bringing a kid to a festival (ours is a toddler but he was there last year too). Listen f*ckos, you might not realise it while you're filling your tent with pill farts, but there are hours and hours of the festival that happen before you drag your stupid glitter costumed arses away from the rubbish pile of ****e you've discarded around your tents and head into the arena for a wakeup snack at 7pm. Before then, the festival is its best self, empty of the self-involved, ignorant pricks who love to mash their jaws off later in the evening, and it's absolutely lovely for kids and families. Nobody wants to hear your worthless opinion, least of all the parents who have to trudge through the campsite you've turned into a landfill because Festival Republic refuse to sell more than 10 family campervan tickets.

I've been to every Electric Picnic, as an 18 year old right through to now, as I approach my mid-30s. I've been there up to my neck in drugs, and I've been there up to my neck in baby wipes and anti-bac.

Whether or not Electric Picnic is suitable for children depends on the attitudes of the parents/adults with responsibility over those children.

I saw both extremes this weekend. Responsible parents like yourself enjoying what the festival has to offer families, and irresponsible parents enjoying what the festival has to offer adults, only bringing their kids along for the ride.

People shouldn't be insinuating that you're a poor parent. They don't know you. At the same you can't be surprised by people's attitudes when there's so many examples of absolutely shocking parenting happening in front of them.

Finally, you could do with winding your neck in a tad. Labelling people "stupid", "worthless", "self-involved", "ignorant pricks" isn't a good look. People are going to take drugs at music festivals and festival campsites will always look like landfill sites. If, as a parent, you cannot develop strategies for dealing with that, or are having trouble processing it, which you clearly are, then you categorically should not be there with your child.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Can't believe they didn't play creep! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

What was it like getting out of the car parks on Monday? We nearly got stuck in the mud twice coming out on Sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Can't believe they didn't play creep! ;)

No bother, the Eukelele Collective did a cracking version on the Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What kind of drugs were available up there anyone know? Any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

moonshadow wrote: »
    We stayed in Joplin... it was perfect , toilets were clean, food and coffee available....BUT who the feck was COLIN ?
    All weekend he was missing ....Colin..Colin ...COLIN where are ya??

Great great weekend !

Is that still happening ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

What was it like getting out of the car parks on Monday? We nearly got stuck in the mud twice coming out on Sunday morning
    no problems for us getting out of the red car park around 10:30am on Monday anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Suckit wrote: »
    I just saw this and i honestly do not know what they are screaming at or for..

http://www.irishexaminer.com/examviral/watch-doireann-garrihy-and-james-kavanagh-perform-at-electric-picnic-804432.html

am i just old? This guy is not doing anything at all. :confused:
    I do not think he is even particularly good on the that hoverboard thing

They must be the same people that were giving the "Oooii oooii oooo" at Jenny Greene + RTE Orchestra.
    :D

All the same, great to see everyone enjoying themselves.
    I forgot to mention earlier run the Jewels also had quite a powerful performance. I have never been a fan, but would definitely have a listen to them now.

Romantic EP is dead and gone,
    It’s with Oxegen in the grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Paddy2012

Sorry if this is a bit of a mess but

Friday: seen a few acts in body & soul followed by Rejjie Snow who was very good then Young Father's who's set was one of the best of the weekend. Vince Staples was a bit disappointing but still good. The XX I thought were excellent too (the mix at the end was incredible).

Saturday: Saw Phil Jupitus in the comedy tent then Arron Lee Tasjan who was great fun and Touts who were incredible, Lewis Capaldi is good at what he does I suppose, Madness played a brilliant hits filled set, Run The Jewels sounded good and saw a bit of Phoenix (had a pretty small crowd) before Japandroids who were brilliant and a great live band, A Tribe Called Quest I enjoyed but it was a struggle with the rain by then, Le Galaxie had a massive crowd and were not bad then watched Interpol untill the end of TOTBL before seeing the end of Pete Tong.

Sunday: The Skatalites music was perfect as the sun came out (after Toots last year can the Sunday afternoon reggae slot become a regular thing please), Goat Girl were really impressive, Lemon Twigs are probably one of the best young live bands around, Michael Kiwanuka is really talented, Band of Horses were good but I don't know a lot of their stuff, Kelly Lee Owens was brilliant, Elbow had very good crowd interaction, Kiasmos were excellent but left early for Ash which I regret a bit, King King Kompany at salty dog was good fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

thebusher wrote: »
    Pogueology as the gig gets pulled

https://youtu.be/yXi_jt0n3O4

Ha ha - i was right beside you. Probably had my around you singing (shouting) in your ear)!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

What kind of drugs were available up there anyone know? Any good?

Cake (from Chris Morris' lab).

PS if you're an undercover cop posing the above question I'll explain the cultural reference later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Paleblood wrote: »
    I've been to every Electric Picnic, as an 18 year old right through to now, as I approach my mid-30s. I've been there up to my neck in drugs, and I've been there up to my neck in baby wipes and anti-bac.

Whether or not Electric Picnic is suitable for children depends on the attitudes of the parents/adults with responsibility over those children.

I saw both extremes this weekend. Responsible parents like yourself enjoying what the festival has to offer families, and irresponsible parents enjoying what the festival has to offer adults, only bringing their kids along for the ride.

People shouldn't be insinuating that you're a poor parent. They don't know you. At the same you can't be surprised by people's attitudes when there's so many examples of absolutely shocking parenting happening in front of them.

Finally, you could do with winding your neck in a tad. Labelling people "stupid", "worthless", "self-involved", "ignorant pricks" isn't a good look. People are going to take drugs at music festivals and festival campsites will always look like landfill sites. If, as a parent, you cannot develop strategies for dealing with that, or are having trouble processing it, which you clearly are, then you categorically should not be there with your child.

"festival campsites will always look like landfill sites"

Utter horse****e from you. The family camping was spotless when we left yesterday at 2pm. Go figure.

Leaving your campsite as a ****ing landfill isn't a "good look". Put yer ****e in a binbag you loons. Don't care what gear you've been on for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Went with a loose attitude this year to timetables and clashes and instead went with the flow with friends and family and it was so bloody enjoyable.

Purposely on Sunday I just bounced from Arena and tent to tent up through Trailer Park and B&S catching two songs at each. What a joy and what a great mix of sounds and performers. That was two hours really well spent before we caught some Elbow, Father john and Duran Duran.

I had a great time this year and I'm a boring middle aged sod. Yes I brought kids, no I don't think its suitable anymore (due to size of crowds) but I had no choice (lack of babysitters). Shipped them out on saturday and drank and danced my ass off while staying sober and responsible the other two days we had them. I wasn't letting them out of my sight really because of the crowds and not so much peoples behaviour which I thought in general was excellent.

The music was great...
    King Kong Company AGAIN..a highlight
    The Pale in the pissing rain saturday night
    Otherkin..rocked my tits off
    Parquet Courts..sublime
    Father John Misty..just WOW
    Rag N'Bone Man..in the sun..Yes Man!!!!
    London Grammer...hugely impressed..working my way through their stuff now.
    Various artists in B&S...one lady in particular on Sunday around 8.30pm in that tiny little stage down the corner with a guy on guitar playing a rory gallagher style strat blew my mind..take a bow lady..what a voice!!!

Small gripes or constructive feedback if you prefer...

Facilities in family camping were cramped this year and toilets , showers and catering options very sparse and of poor quality

Security were fine for the most part but did see some of them skulling cans outside venues or on phones oblivious to men using womens portaloos for example and not doing anything when challenged by some women. Security staff very young also in some areas and were easily dominated by agressive people.

Some of that stuff is safety related and for the money they make can be easily addressed.

Overall though way more positives than negatives. As I said we had a blast, no drama's and great music. Roll on next year.

Oh yeah..could really do with seeing less cleavage and side boob on teenage girls. Less is more ye know!!!...bloody hell everywhere i turned on Sunday it was boob exposure. Not sure if that should be filed under positive or negative ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Beer - choice okay but a poster here had a suggestion that Heineken bring in some of their other beers and I fully agree with that. Lagunitas is a lovely IPA and would go down well at EP.

Kids - the festival would be a much poorer place without them. I wouldn't dare to give parents advice on how to deal with their kids and I saw no examples of what would be termed bad parenting at the weekend. I have a sixteen month old boy and plan on taking him there soon. Hopefully he'll be welcomed and not seen as a hindrance.

Corporate tents - too much. And gaining in noise & intensity every year. They were a necessary evil when the festival was struggling, but is that still the case? I'm resigned to them staying but they really have to sort out the nosebleed for the Jerry Fish tent. Entirely disrespectful to him given the effort him & his crew put in. They're also attracting better acts each passing year & FR will have to deal with this sooner than later. Moving Logic towards the Hendrix exit would be the first step.

Atmosphere
    - best in years I thought. Glad that others here seem to agree.

Tribute bands - there've been some complaints about them but I had some of the best fun of the weekend at them. And if Jenny Greene/RTE Orchestra & Pete Tong are allowed their large scale tribute acts then why not the smaller ones? These Charming Men very enjoyable & Le Freak good, Pogueology hilarious and could have ended very badly but best of all were Harvest. Guy's voice was excellent and I'd happily pay to see them. They deserve a plug so for those of you in Dublin they're playing the Sugar Club next weekend doing the Harvest & Heart of Gold albums.

Stages/Areas - Trailer Park gets better every year, B&S always great, Other Voices nice. Still haven't made it to the Rave in the Woods. And didn't bother with the Red Bull thing. Any good? Seemed Despacio-inspired, but a low-rent version.

Main Acts - a lots of bands let me down but it's a bit pointless listing them here as other people would have enjoyed them so why ruin someone's buzz. Loads & loads of great stuff:

Young Fathers - Only God Knows my track of Friday
    Touts - blew the cobwebs away
    Paul Kelly - crowd undeservedly small but he wasn't put off by that; some beautiful tunes
    The XX - caught last forty minutes and much more impressive than previously
    The Pretenders - those guitars still sound great & you can hear why the young Marr was so inspired
    Michael Kiwanuka - wow, voice & band superb; he lost the audience a bit with the penultimate track but won them back with Love & Hate
    Father John Misty - another wow; tunes, voice & performance all top notch
    Band of Horses - The Funeral as good as I heard all weekend
    Kila - what a groove they got going for the last thirty minutes
    Duran Duran - criticised by some beforehand but that was fun, that really was fun; very unhappy to miss Kiasmos, Ash & Soulwax in the worst clash I've seen there for 6/7 years but Duran were for me ideal way to finish and I loved that they put the effort in

Thanks to all the lovely people I went with & those I came across there. I'd also like to thank Festival Republic for putting on this festival which means so much to us. It has its faults but our lives would be a poorer place without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Pretty great weekend I must say

Friday | Saturday | Sunday
    Talos | Touts | King Kong Company
    Oh Boland | Madness | Michael Kiwanuka
    Vince Staples | Jagwar Ma | David Kitt
    The XX | All Tvvins | Ash
    Booka Brass Band | Floating Points |
    | Perfume Genius |
    | Public Service Broadcasting |
    | Clark |

PSB were ****ing amazing in the downpour at Body and Soul - must get tickets for their January show

Perfume Genius the surprise of the weekend, thought they were great although not sure about his dance moves :pac:

Ears are still fûcking ringing from Ash but delighted they were a late addition

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Kids - the festival would be a much poorer place without them. I wouldn't dare to give parents advice on how to deal with their kids and I saw no examples of what would be termed bad parenting at the weekend. I have a sixteen month old boy and plan on taking him there soon. Hopefully he'll be welcomed and not seen as a hindrance.

We'd our two along for their 4th Picnic. People were v supportive in general. Was great to see the fest change the access route for familys back this year. Last year's jaunt around the lake wouldve been v tricky (and unsafe?) given the weather.

Seeing youngsters rooting around in bins for cups wasnt great, agreed. Arena was absolutely spotless though. Gotta hand it to their entrepreneurial spirit. Kids next to us were collecting to buy a Nintendo Switch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

Have read through all the pages now since early friday and the most important question from the weekend left unanswered is  how did ICANNWEVERFINDIT get on with her tanning salon burned butt cheeks :D - that story was comedy gold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Wooderson wrote: »
    The family camping was spotless when we left yesterday at 2pm. Go figure.

Same with the Eco Campsite, it was spotless all weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Aiken Promotions
    #GIGNEWS Perfume Genius has just announced a date for Tivoli Theatre on December 2nd. Tickets priced €23.50 go on sale this Friday at 9am!

Advertisement