Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Nothing new in their stuff would be true but for derivative sh1te, the first two albums were crackers, some of the later singles too

As I said, "your mileage may vary". Derivative is obvious. Sh1te is subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

it has followed them around ever since.

So there's no real comparison and the media are to blame, and yet here you are digging it up 20 years later.

This isn't going very well for you, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Pickpocket wrote: »
    So there's no real comparison and the media are to blame, and yet here you are digging it up 20 years later.

This isn't going very well for you, is it?

Am I missing something? What's not going well? Should something be going well?

I'm not sure a passing comment constitutes digging anything up. If anything you are the one digging it up.

Or do you think I should be "defending" myself for a throw away comment just because it annoys you?

a throw away comment

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You can barely tell the difference between Noel's solo stuff and any era Oasis song (have nae heard any of Liam's). You can hear a vast difference between early Blur (when they were far more directly comparable to Oasis) and latter day stuff, never mind Gorillaz and all Damon's side projects.

For many, they don't give a **** about that and that's fine. I have liked some Oasis tunes, but most of them have been irrevocably tainted for me by blokey-blokes, and I don't think they have any great musical depth, so they're not my kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

https://youtu.be/9rkSGxh0jw8

Doesn't sound much like Oasis to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i'm pretty sure no Noel stuff sounds like Headshrinker or Bring It On Down either...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Ah well, Radiohead show sold out this morning, guess they'll have to make up for it at EP then..............(run and ducks for cover!!!)

Ah well, Radiohead show sold out this morning, guess they'll have to make up for it at EP then..............(run and ducks for cover!!!)

No chance. Not with Oasis and David Bowie already announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Intersting to read that in an effort to stop touting the Radiohead tickets will have the purchasers name on the ticket and they will have to show I.D. when entering the gig.

I wonder how strict they are with that type of stuff. Given how bad Irish people are at leaving it until the last minute to enter venues it could cause serious backlogs trying to get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Would love to see it properly enforced but I doubt the bulk of people trying to buy this morning paid any attention to it.

de whineline de next day is goin to be only fabliss

(wouldn't mind seeing them again after the last album but figured ticketbastard would be a sh1tshow at 9am this morning so couldn't be arsed)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Would love to see it properly enforced but I doubt the bulk of people trying to buy this morning paid any attention to it.

de whineline de next day is goin to be only fabliss

(wouldn't mind seeing them again after the last album but figured ticketbastard would be a sh1tshow at 9am this morning so couldn't be arsed)

I was on at 9 this morning, put into the virtual queue and spat back out onto the ticketmaster homepage, went back in and guess what "none available". I'd love to know how much was allocated to ticketmaster from all the presales in advance..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

I was on at 9 this morning, put into the virtual queue and spat back out onto the ticketmaster homepage, went back in and guess what "none available". I'd love to know how much was allocated to ticketmaster from all the presales in advance..

All of the (one) presale(s)?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spreece

The War on Drugs planning new music for 2017. Too soon for a return to EP, this time to the main stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Arcade Fire announced for Isle of Wight. Surely in the running for EP again?

And alas the Foo Fighters are back on the festival scene (doing NOS Alive, possibly Glasto). Please reassure me that EP won't go near them.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Intersting to read that in an effort to stop touting the Radiohead tickets will have the purchasers name on the ticket and they will have to show I.D. when entering the gig.

I wonder how strict they are with that type of stuff. Given how bad Irish people are at leaving it until the last minute to enter venues it could cause serious backlogs trying to get in.
    They were very strict on that with the Radiohead gig I went to at the O2 London in 2012. And I believe again at the Roundhouse this year. People were advised to go there two hours beforehand.
    I guess it depends on promoters & security but I'd expect reasonable scrutiny at the Dublin gig. If not they may not get to book Radiohead again.

Snarky Snark Snark

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    And alas the Foo Fighters are back on the festival scene (doing NOS Alive, possibly Glasto). Please reassure me that EP won't go near them.

I ****ing love the Foos, but they won't be at EP, waaaaaaay to big and expensive in their own right.

I ****ing love the Foos, but they won't be at EP, waaaaaaay to big and expensive in their own right.
    I think you're probably right. But are the Foos really bigger than Radiohead or the Roses? You've got to assume that we'll have one of the three this September, or an act of similar calibre & cost.
    FR can afford to book two such acts these days but they'll likely skimp again on the headliners. One biggie & two cheaper headliners, but there'll still be plenty there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I hope Fever Ray release that second album that was hinted at in February, they would be a nice addition to the 2017 line up and a bit more like a band compared to the Knife's 2013 appearance which I still enjoyed.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Snarky Snark Snark

I think you're probably right. But are the Foos really bigger than Radiohead or the Roses?

I'm assuming it's the Stone Roses, then yes I'd think they probably are (outside the UK/Ireland anyway) ("Guns and" then probably not, until Axel pisses everyone on the planet off again).

The Foos are consistently one of the biggest acts of the last 15 plus years.

Radiohead are no doubt far more important musically but their appeal is to a much smaller audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Me suspects this might be an ad for a world tour but then again its Aphex, so it might not be.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Me suspects this might be an ad for a world tour but then again its Aphex, so it might not be.

I'm gonna start a "just giving" page just for you BD, if we could get a €5'er for everytime you've mentioned Aphex twin on boards....;)

Snarky Snark Snark

it's likely just be an advert for the festival that's listed in the video which he's playing at.

http://www.dayfornight.io

r6m5Pj7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Jeez, let the man dream

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spreece

Hope you're right about Arcade Fire. New album next year I think. For me they're the best headliner around, its a proper show, Marlay in 2014 was great.
    Foo fighters would be good too but don't see it happening.
    I love the roses since the 80s but Brown's vocal just not good enough for large outdoor gig imo

Snarky Snark Snark

Synode wrote: »
    Jeez, let the man dream

yeah, fair enough, bit much, changed it (a bit)

Sorry B'dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think you're probably right. But are the Foos really bigger than Radiohead or the Roses? You've got to assume that we'll have one of the three this September, or an act of similar calibre & cost.
    FR can afford to book two such acts these days but they'll likely skimp again on the headliners. One biggie & two cheaper headliners, but there'll still be plenty there for me.

In terms of ability to shift tickets id say the Foos are much bigger than Radiohead or The Stone Roses. They're like Bruce Springsteen or Coldplay, it's rock music for people who don't really like music and just want something that they can bop along to without knowing the lyrics because the lyrics are irrelevant. It's nice inoffensive bland music for the masses, that's why it's so popular.

Snarky Snark Snark

MadYaker wrote: »
    In terms of ability to shift tickets id say the Foos are much bigger than Radiohead or The Stone Roses. They're like Bruce Springsteen or Coldplay, it's rock music for people who don't really like music and just want something that they can bop along to without knowing the lyrics because the lyrics are irrelevant. It's nice inoffensive bland music for the masses, that's why it's so popular.

today i learned i am the masses

**** the stone roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Spaceshanty

MODERAT were amazing at Metropolis last Friday night. Would be delighted if they were announced. ðŸ™ðŸ‘

Headliner wise my top two are gone and I've not managed to get tickets for either, still hoping for a strong line up of the rest. Radiohead - n/a
    Coldplay - n/a
    Leftfield
    Massive Attack
    Depeche Mode
    Arcade Fire
    Foals
    Royksopp
    Moby
    Two Door Cinema Club
    De la soul
    Ice Cube
    Jungle