Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shimurr

Was my first picnic and must say I'm so glad I went! Stayed in Oscar Wilde as a group of our friends were there since the Thursday evening. However, got there at 10.00 in the morning and place was already crammed! This meant that we couldn't pitch our tent exactly how we wanted to but we managed to do it in a way that lasted throughout the weather anyway! Must say though, our stretch of land was like a disaster zone by Sunday, all tents around us caved in/flooded (I assume due to the fact it was difficult to pitch tents properly because of the lack of space), a gazebo thingy blew over almost onto our tent and rubbish just abandoned everhwhere which was disgusting. We ended up picking up rubbish around our tent from others as we didn't want to stay in a landfill, will most likely stay in eco if we camp in general campsite again. Apart from this, our neighbours were friendly and didn't actually cause too much noise which meant we could get some decent sleep at least.

The security were lovely, chatty and up for a laugh but we're pretty casual about checking for anything. There were times I wished I actually slipped some drink into my pockets because they were so lax! Haha

There were only a few acts that we really wanted to see but it meant that we could just go with the flow and listen to new music which was lovely and also meant less stress. All music was very enjoyable, atmosphere was great, and we found everyone we met were so friendly and chatty.

We met a guy in the trailer park who came up to us and introduced himself as "Tommy with a T" whoever you are, you were so funny, he told us three jokes/riddles and said he was the quizmaster hahahah. There was also a primary school teacher we met while eating food from kinara, she was on her own as she said her friends were staying at the campsite a lot, she was also so nice, interesting and chatty, she shared her food with us as we were sharing a meal that for some reason was a very small portion compared to hers. Her name was Grace Campion, I told her I'd post this so I hope you're reading! :) Thanks for the chats, food and recommendation for attending a mental health talk on next week :)

I have so many highlights from the weekend I won't list them all, most people on here already have :) . One thing I have to say is, the Friday night, my sister and I were roasted in our tent!! Maybe because we made sure we kept our tent well insulated with foam mats and all hah. Could not understand the majority of girls wearing next to nothing, I have no problem with it, each to their own but I kept thinking are they not frozen!! Also the effort they all went through to have perfect hair and makeup, fair play like. My sister and I looked some states with oil skins on and rain jackets, next to no makeup and messy hair, so if you saw ginger twin girls looking like that, that was us! Were too preoccupied roaming around to bother looking decent hahah.

Like I said, think we'll stay in eco campsite if going again. We're up for the craic and all but prefer a space that would be cleaner and away from the chaos that we saw in Wilde.

Thank you Pablo for the app, used constantly. And thanks to everyone for their advice on here, was a godsend :).

Shiv.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

Quick note on the phone coverage, I'm back with meteor now and had great coverage all weekend. Even managed to stream the entire hurling final in mindfield! Newstalk tent was way too full. There was loads in there doing the same. Loads of little's huddles of people watching on their phones. Then saw the pretenders. Sunday was great actually. Duran Duran were so much better than I thought they would be.

Saw so many great bands over the weekend. Booka brass on Friday was a great way to start the weekend. Think a lot of people here saw mostly the same bands I saw actually.

Overall a great picnic. Big cut-down on the scumbag factor from previous years. Weather was mostly OK aside from the cold on Friday night. Rain in Saturday didn't bother as I had good wet gear with me. Now normally after a picnic I'm thinking maybe I won't go next year getting too old etc. But this year I'm mad for next year already, I think I'll be Still going to this thing when I'm 50!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

One of the more enjoyable picnics for me. It could have been my last, but wont be now. Got around to see a good bit of stuff, some highlights, Phoenix, just love them, Run the Jewels, All Tvvins, Bears Den,Duran Duran, Booka Brass Band at Salty Dog, caught a bit of La Galaxie as well. loved Trailer Park, ended up in some mad little place in B&S Sat night/Sun morning, possibly the Haunt? Very nice fire pit which was good for a warm up. All We Are was disappointing for me, just didnt feel it. Missed a few I intended and cant think what else at the minute. Felt it was a better age mix this year.
    Enjoyed a few gins in Trailer Pk, thanks to Wile E Coyote who posted about it I think. Stayed in the Festihuts again, we were able to go up the road until Sat evening, coming in at Global Green, but they stopped it for some reason. It's a right pain walking through the campsite. As someone else said, 6 showers for women in that entire boutique camping area is ridiculous, Id be happy to pay, bring more showers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Mr.S wrote: »
    What was all the kids collecting rubbish about!?

20c refund per plastic pint glass returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Enjoyed this year but had to leave Sunday evening so didn't get the full weekend.

Purely from a personal point of view, I have to wonder WTF do people be thinking not checking the weather forecas??

I know it's not always 100% accurate but this years weekend was pretty easy to forecast.

The number of people I heard complaining about not being prepared for the cold Friday night or the rain Saturday was a joke.

OK OK not everyone is a weather nerd like me but surely if you are heading camping in a field for a weekend you check the forecast!

I saw people putting on sun lotion Saturday morning and saying the rain will miss us, like WTF!

Sorry rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Villain wrote: »
    Enjoyed this year but had to leave Sunday evening so didn't get the full weekend.

Purely from a personal point of view, I have to wonder WTF do people be thinking not checking the weather forecas??

I know it's not always 100% accurate but this years weekend was pretty easy to forecast.

The number of people I heard complaining about not being prepared for the cold Friday night or the rain Saturday was a joke.

OK OK not everyone is a weather nerd like me but surely if you are heading camping in a field for a weekend you check the forecast!

I saw people putting on sun lotion Saturday morning and saying the rain will miss us, like WTF!

Sorry rant over.

I was amazed too, even a cursory glance at the forecast on Saturday would have warned people (and the free The Ticket mentioned the rain too), because the forecast was almost exactly spot on from Thursday onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

Sorry rant over.

I can imagine your frustration as I'm a bit of a weather nerd too. To be honest, I just laugh at people who weren't prepared. Takes 2 seconds to google a weather forecast but for some reason many Irish people won't do it. I've no pity for them

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

if its any consolation villain, i was both warm on friday night and dry saturday night-thanks to you and mj among others..... great weekend and all but i'm curious about how sat and sun are clash city whereas fri is still light when it comes to the main stages anyway (had a great fri evening in trailer park!)-more than enough acts overall this year to fill 3 full days imo. can't complain about anything else unduly coz i barely queued at all for anything between 1pm friday and 11am monday..... i thought the gardai were exemplary also...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

great festival. we camped in the back field of joplin where the average age was wayyy older than other campsites, older than even the first joplin field. loads of space, quiet enough and toilets in good condition, and no queues for coffee kiosk in the morning. big disadvantage it 20 minutes walk from the arena. music highlights were bicep, phoenix and le galaxie. le galaxie crowd were crazy! i regret missing interpol, clark and PSB saturday night but the rain was just too much.

surprised how smallish the crowd was for phoenix, there was good space up the front. anyone have videos of him crowd surfing?! my only big personal regret was hitting the buckie a bit too hard! friday and saturday weren't too bad but i barely remember anything Sunday night starting from kelly lee owens (i remember an abysmally small crowd though), car seat headrest or soulwax! ah well, i'm told i thoroughly enjoyed them! i did this before with hot chip in 2015, barely remember it. next year i want to just stick to beer and keep a steady buzz going.

always shocked by the difference in crowd going through hendrix/warhol compared to the music tents late at night. you rarely see that young crowd in rankins, cosby or little big tent. friday at 4pm, some 18 year old girl walked straight into me and didn't seem to notice. i dunno if she lasted the full weekend if she starting that early.

we spent a fortune on drink cos we couldn't sneak that much in. you forget how much you save at glastonbury and B&S with the freeflow. to think i could bring in 6 cans of dutch gold for less than every pint of heineken i bought!

definitely going again next year especially with a lineup like that.

edit: few additions.
    1) maykay is a great addition to le galaxie. just a better frontperson than pope.
    2) to the girl selling the vodka jellies up the front Friday at London grammar, jesus they were strong! you could have increased profit margins with them a bit more jelly

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Pablo, I never thanked you for the app. Very remiss as I based my whole weekend around it. God bless you.

Very welcome :) I do appreciate all the thanks. About 500 downloads, which is the same as last year. Ye are a loyal bunch. Am I they only one that it was crashing on?

Oh yeah, the fecking Three network was totally rubbish this year after being excellent for the last 5 years at least. wtf?
    Totally agree, don't know how I managed before without it. Brilliant! And yes, it was a bit unstable & kept crashing! However, if I 'gave it a rest' or didn't 'work it too hard', it would be ok. Temperamental wee thing! But pure brilliant.
    Mobile network coverage was rubbish.

Martin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

mgkelly wrote: »
    Totally agree, don't know how I managed before without it. Brilliant! And yes, it was a bit unstable & kept crashing! However, if I 'gave it a rest' or didn't 'work it too hard', it would be ok. Temperamental wee thing! But pure brilliant.
    Mobile network coverage was rubbish.

Martin
    You've reminded me I bumped into 2 lads, from Limerick I think, who gave us free jelly shots, gas pair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Public Service Broadcasting were an absolute highlight for me. Thought it was going to be rammed, but the weather must have put a lot of people off.

Ended up staying around chatting at the B&S stage after PSB until the next band came on. About 8 of us were then treated to a rather interesting performance by a band from London called 'Sweat'. The lead singer kept eyeballing us and thanking us for coming, while simultaneously climbing the rigging and balancing on the front railing. We felt so bad at the lack of crowd we couldn't leave for their entire set!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

Folks,
    How did you get sneaking booze into main arena? Did you find searches thorough?
    Anyone get cans in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Sorry rant over.

Tabloid media and rags such as Joe.ie and Spin jumped on the initial forecast several days out of 3 dry mostly sunny days - ME tweeted as such and Facebook pages dove on it.

Most people (especially younger people) A) don't watch the weather on telly or B) don't search online for forecasts.

A sunny, dry three days that required sun cream as said on Facebook several days out was as much of a forecast many I'm sure had seen. I don't recall one of the above media pages back track and repost an article at a later time saying expect a solid 10 hours of rain overnight Saturday.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Folks,
    How did you get sneaking booze into main arena? Did you find searches thorough?
    Anyone get cans in?

Found it very easy to get them through tbh - down the front of the trousers.

I found approaching the checkpoint with your phone, wallet, cigarettes etc out of your pockets and in your hands, they gave you a cursory glance and let you through.

Got caught on the way in on Sunday evening @ about 10 and he pretended he didn't feel anything and told me to enjoy them. Same chap told the guy ahead of me that he looked like a guy who had hoped over a fence earlier and he'd have to leave. Look on your mans face was priceless.

They were sound tbh.

If it was a fiver a pint I would have no problem paying in there - but €6.20 is just far too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I can imagine your frustration as I'm a bit of a weather nerd too. To be honest, I just laugh at people who weren't prepared. Takes 2 seconds to google a weather forecast but for some reason many Irish people won't do it. I've no pity for them

To be fair, most 18 year olds these days probably don't realise their phone can be used for more than Facebook or instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Back at work this morning. Oh golly golly gosh what a slap of reality :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Bit of a hidden gem I caught at a late hour on The Rankins Wood stage,Mairead,great performance ,very much in the Martha Wainwright category,beautiful voice and good on guitar as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Back at work this morning. Oh golly golly gosh what a slap of reality :(

Same here. Sitting in the car park wishing I was 20 years younger and didn't have to do this **** job.
    Said to the wife at the weekend" what if this could be the heaven you could choose" I'd go now lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Its mad hearing how messy with rubbish the campsites get. I remember my first Picnic in 09 we were giving plastic bags on the way in for rubbish and recycling, and I think they gave people something for bringing full recycling bags to a recycling area. I would have felt bad just throwing stuff on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Good morning all
    Just about feeling human again after a weekend of solid over indulgence
    Friday, Saturday a bit blurry but Sunday was lovely and chilled
    Got to see everything I hoped to bar Fr John Misty & PSB.
    Run the Jewels, ATCQ, Parquet Courts, the Rubberbandits, Phoenix, Rusangano Fam, Young Fathers all good. Was too wasted to enjoy Interpol unfortunately.
    Trenchtown was a blast, the Salty Dog a bit too crowded anytime I was out there. Not too sure that I like the new expanded version of it much tbh
    Some of the Dance music coming out of the main arena tents & corporate sideshows was pure cookie cutter garbage though. Sideboob central.
    Bring back Arcadia!!!!

Fair play to Body & Soul sticking that new stage in front of the Heineken nonsense stage to block out some of the noise bleed.

The facilities out in Gen pop Campervan site are crap. Feck all toilets & full bins all weekend. I'll insist on the crew one next year. I didn't venture anywhere near the other sites but Oscar Wilde looked like the Jungle in Calais each time we passed. Not surprised all those tents were left behind after Saturdays rain. No excuse for leaving rubbish behind though

Legs are still aching despite having use of a buggy to ferry us round most of the the weekend (only way to get slabs in- feck that walking in and out with bags lark!)

Hope you all had a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

.we spent a fortune on drink cos we couldn't sneak that much in. you forget how much you save at glastonbury and B&S with the freeflow. to think i could bring in 6 cans of dutch gold for less than every pint of heineken i bought!

It was ridiculously easy to sneak in, I was never checked. My friend had a can in his shirt pocket sticking out and it wasnt even taken off him.

One friends trick was to put the cans under her jacket in her hand - anytime they (half) looked in her bag they never looked at the jacket she was carrying.

In saying that I still treated myself to some lovely cold pints in the arena but including food and drink I spent about 120 all weekend. Not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Think i am feeling human again(ish).

So who's going to be the brave soul to start the EP 2018 thread?
    (and can we instaban any use of the R-Word & the "i didn't get my code"?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Like others i'm just about back in one piece after another great festival. For various reasons i wasn't able to do the usual full frontal attack on what music i wanted to see this year but a few highlights included:

Friday:

Young Fathers, London Grammar, Bicep.

Saturday:

Madness: Excellent as always

These Charming Men: As tribute bands go, top notch.

Tribe: Made people who said they weren't headline material look silly.

Public Service Broadcasting: The rain and the delay put a bit of a dampener on it but they were worth the wait.

Sunday:

Dublin Gospel Choir: As usual brilliant pick-me-up for the Sunay afternoon.

Bear's Den: Only caught the last 10 minutes of these but they sounded good

Pretenders: Their set varied between decent and exceptional. Very underrated vocalist is Chrissie.

Chaka Khan: The woman's a force of nature.

Elbow: Were ok, thought it was a bit flat tbh.

Duran Duran: You always have to take Duran with a huge side order of cheese but i enjoyed the **** out of that set :D Shoutout to the guy in the Russian style furry hat right in front of us who was absolutely loosing his **** during Ordinary World!

Also have to say the sound on the main stage was probably the best i've ever heard it all weekend, especially for Duran Duran it was incredible. And BYEco camping brilliant again, couldn't do the weekend without you.

Only real negative was the noise bleed from the corporate installations, outside Jerry Fish and that triangulation between the 3 tower, Logic & Casa Bicardi was ****ing ridiculous. But other than that thought it was a great weekend with a great crowd. Still raging i missed RTJ & Soulwax thou!

I got chatting to one of the pub owners on the Monday afternoon and he was saying that according to Garda figures there were over 65,000 people on the site for the festival, you could tell too as there was very little empty space in the main area.

He also said that the word in the town is that they are going to apply to have music on site from the Thursay next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭WM18

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Different security there this year. They seemed friendlier. Glad the brought the family camping route back. Last years was a disaster. A lot of people getting wrong change (in favour of the barman) last year at the bar. Any mention of that happening this year.?

Thats so funny,happened to me twice in my favour,,i'm a tenner up woohoo :):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

kg703 wrote: »
    It was ridiculously easy to sneak in, I was never checked. My friend had a can in his shirt pocket sticking out and it wasnt even taken off him.

One friends trick was to put the cans under her jacket in her hand - anytime they (half) looked in her bag they never looked at the jacket she was carrying.

In saying that I still treated myself to some lovely cold pints in the arena but including food and drink I spent about 120 all weekend. Not too bad.

It wasn't really that easy to sneak in as you didn't really have to sneak it in. Security was told to allow cans in. It was 48 cans per person camping and supposed to be limited to 4 per person in the arena after 1am. The only restriction was glass bottles tbh. No real restrictions on cans of alcohol being brought through the main gate once they were cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

more to the point-how much will the early bird tickets be?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭WM18

Duran Duran: You always have to take Duran with a huge side order of cheese but i enjoyed the **** out of that set Shoutout to the guy in the Russian style furry hat right in front of us who was absolutely loosing his **** during Ordinary World!

Surely everyone knows he was lip syncing....feel like i was robbed.... left after 4 tunes disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yawns wrote: »
    It wasn't really that easy to sneak in as you didn't really have to sneak it in. Security was told to allow cans in. It was 48 cans per person camping and supposed to be limited to 4 per person in the arena after 1am. The only restriction was glass bottles tbh. No real restrictions on cans of alcohol being brought through the main gate once they were cans.

They were talking about sneaking cans into the main arena, which is very much against the rules.

Seemed to be very easy alright. Saw a guy wandering around drinking a 2-litre flagon of Scrumpy, which would indicate he wasn't rigorously searched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

WM18 wrote: »
    Duran Duran: You always have to take Duran with a huge side order of cheese but i enjoyed the **** out of that set Shoutout to the guy in the Russian style furry hat right in front of us who was absolutely loosing his **** during Ordinary World!

Surely everyone knows he was lip syncing....feel like i was robbed.... left after 4 tunes disappointed

Ah, sounds like you were watching the big screens then? They were on a few milliseconds of a delay, so every single act over the weekend looked like they were lip syncing.

Advertisement