Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

WM18 wrote: »
    Surely everyone knows he was lip syncing....feel like i was robbed.... left after 4 tunes disappointed

Didn't sound like it to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

They were talking about sneaking cans into the main arena, which is very much against the rules.

Seemed to be very easy alright. Saw a guy wandering around drinking a 2-litre flagon of Scrumpy, which would indicate he wasn't rigorously searched.

I walked in to the main area with cans. Drinking one and another in my pocket on more than one occasion. I did not know we were not allowed to bring them in :o.
    Nobody even questioned me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

kg703 wrote: »
    Didn't sound like it to me?

Nah, as mentioned above there was a split second sync issue with the screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

No restrictions all weekend when walking in from Boutique camping with cans.
    It was always hit or miss whether you could walk through the farmyard but this year, so long as the arena was open, the farmyard access was open too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Nah, as mentioned above there was a split second sync issue with the screens.

Wish they'd have just ditched the "live" video if they couldn't sort that out, it has to have no delay at all to be useful and not incredibly distracting.

• Advertisement

It was always hit or miss whether you could walk through the farmyard but this year, so long as the arena was open, the farmyard access was open too.
    Yeah, that is where i was. Did not get stopped or even have it mentioned to me.
    The farmyard access was blocked a couple of times on Saturday evening though (more specifically the old dairy yard). I think someone fell or slipped and they were not allowing while rain was heavy. I had to walk the long treacherous walk back, being redirected everwhere by the younger security. In the end i just slipped through a crack in the fence. At that stage i was soaked to the bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shimurr

threein99 wrote: »
    Its mad hearing how messy with rubbish the campsites get. I remember my first Picnic in 09 we were giving plastic bags on the way in for rubbish and recycling, and I think they gave people something for bringing full recycling bags to a recycling area. I would have felt bad just throwing stuff on the ground.

It was disgustingly messy, although there were no bins that I could see and weren't given any bags to use. Having said that, it's not difficult to just bring in a roll of refuse bags yourself and use as needed. Can't understand people just throwing rubbish around like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

MJohnston wrote: »
    Wish they'd have just ditched the "live" video if they couldn't sort that out, it has to have no delay at all to be useful and not incredibly distracting.

Yep agreed, also found the onscreen ads right up until an act was about to come on stage to be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

60cb1c8bf0b83547ce480ce1d6388803be6b54d17dd2b854f59008513b625e55.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

60cb1c8bf0b83547ce480ce1d6388803be6b54d17dd2b854f59008513b625e55.jpg

Ha, the distance between the main stage and the sound desk is maybe about 20m max, so it's way off accounting for milliseconds worth of delay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

I noticed the delay too, but I don't think it's possible to fully sort it out, since sound travels so much slower than light. If you're 50 meters from the speakers and screens, you're getting the visuals instantly and the sound more than 1/10th of a second later, which is very noticeable.

Edit: Just saw the later responses. I'd say the sound desk was at least 30-40m back from the stage (open to correction) and at that distance, I reckon it's quite noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I had a brilliant weekend as always. Madness, The Pretenders, Bicep and Kiasmos were my highlights.
    Only thing that was lacking was the usual excitement I get for 1 or 2 headliners but I was kept busy at the other stages.

Can't understand girls wearing the shortest of shorts that barely cover anything, especially the bigger girls who looked a state.
    I saw a few of them throwing fellas dirty looks who stared at them..what did they expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Great weekend. Enjoyed it far more than last year, I was genuinely thinking this would be my last year but I’ll be getting my early birds this Friday. As usual I over indulged and missed loads of acts I wanted to see but caught plenty too and seen most of wanted to see.

Friday: London Grammar, XX, Bicep, New Jackson
    Saturday: Everything Everything, Jagwar Ma, Mr Jukes, Mura Masa, Annie Mac, Pete Tong
    Sunday: King Kong Company, Rag N Bone Man, Elbow, Duran Duran, Mother Dj’s

Seen bits and pieces of other bands over weekend. Comedy tent great as usual. Raging I missed Phoenix. And didn’t get over to Other Voices. Trailer Park and the Caravan Karaoke was a brilliant laugh.

Did a bit of exploring, not as much as I’d liked to but we had wristbands for the CASA and made use of the bar at the back and the Kinara Kitchen table service. Every year I have regrets the week after. I always say next year less drinking more exploring. Beers for breakfast and rums for lunch are never a good idea but that’s what happens. We lose the run of ourselves. Roll on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Higgeldy

Absolutely Pablo, your app made our weekend! Kept saying if I met ya, I owed you a pint!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭WM18

Ah, sounds like you were watching the big screens then? They were on a few milliseconds of a delay, so every single act over the weekend looked like they were lip syncing.

No i know that re: screens....my point is he sounded exactly like all the records absolutely perfect sound.... not even slightly different.....like this is a guy mid 50's jumping around stage singing and not once out of breath come on sync all the way...............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

WM18 wrote: »
    No i know that re: screens....my point is he sounded exactly like all the records absolutely perfect sound.... not even slightly different.....like this is a guy mid 50's jumping around stage singing and not once out of breath come on sync all the way...............

Hmmmmm, I'd have to disagree with that one and I have some videos......

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

Only thing I was disappointed with was the Duran Duran (as headliner) only did 1 hour 15 mins...
    The XX, Tribe, Pete Tong all did 1 hour and 30 mins...
    Not sure if blame lies with the band or organisers.. They certainly have the hits to play.. Felt I was robbed of my 15 extra mins...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Think i am feeling human again(ish).

So who's going to be the brave soul to start the EP 2018 thread?
    (and can we instaban any use of the R-Word & the "i didn't get my code"?)

I think we should just let this thread run its course it will probably be the first time that the EP thread will hit the 10,000 posts mark. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

I love the singalong to the melody of this, I stopped filming as soon as the lens was blocked by the fellah's back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Where did it bring you in? I was using the road as you come out of Boutique until Sat night. Had used farmyard gate a few years back, but was stopped so didn't even try this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

sassyj wrote: »
    Where did it bring you in? I was using the road as you come out of Boutique until Sat night. Had used farmyard gate a few years back, but was stopped so didn't even try this year.

Takes you up to the entrance of the VIP bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I think we should just let this thread run its course it will probably be the first time that the EP thread will hit the 10,000 posts mark. :)

Well I'm still suffering today if this counts as a contribution!!

I think there's only one solution :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭rubick

Woke up Sunday morning to a flooded tent, lads. It had a decent run of 5 Picnics, sad to see the old girl go. Of course we ritually folded it up into the bag on Monday morning because we aren't animals.
    Decent oul weekend, although we weren't match fit for Sunday and called it a show after Car Seat Headrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

thebusher wrote: »
    Strange decision not to have toilets at Salty Dog given there is a bar there and everyone drinks their own there.
    MaxManis wrote: »
    Would have to agree from what I could see there was no toilets too serve the Salty Dog, Trenchtown and the other voices stages. This make no sense with the amount of people who were attending these stages over the weekend

Access for the trucks that empty the toilets might be an issue in these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

There's nothing like post festival sadness. It's so strange to be painfully nostalgic about something that was only two days ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Someone back a few pages enquired about my arse - thanks so much for thinking of me (it?) I really appreciate it. (Cant find the post to quote now - was reading on my phone and couldn't reply) Anyway - was going to update from the site (because surely that's all everyone cared about during the festival) but agree with others, (three) coverage was absolutely rubbish and I didn't have the patience.

Arse started peeling on Saturday morning (again- you're welcome. Apologies if anyones eating). I brought a huge tub of aloe vera and E45 cream with me and kept piling it on. It actually healed really quickly!! (may possibly have been numbed from the pain with drink, to be fair).
    Its lovely and tanned today. I'm really happy with it.

Fantastic weekend here! really fantastic. Fear was so horrendous yesterday (oddly I was fine on Monday) that I swore I was never doing it again. Kept thinking about everything that I've done wrong since 1980 and considering I wasn't born until 1985, that was severe. Today I'm grand and am planning on picking up early birds.

As usual, didn't see loads I wanted to see. Camped in Chaplin again and the crowd were just gorgeous - bit older as expected and just sound. Had the best chats and craic with all of our neighbours.

I loved the Dublin Ukulele Collective on Saturday. Such uplifting stuff. Caught Divine Comedy, Hudson Taylor, little bit of London Grammer (not for us), The Riptide Movement (always love them), These Charming Men, Booka Brass. Loads of comedy.
    Did the absolute dog on it Saturday evening/ night. A man gave us salty dog bands (and another man gave us Bacardi 'vip' bands) and went back to the Salty Dog. I was drinking wine out of a Ballygowan bottle and lost everything and everyone. Tent leaked Saturday night. I was already saturated from not having the sense to go back earlier Saturday night (and slept in my wet clothes). Floor/ Sleeping Bags/ clothes - everything saturated. Did 'dampen' things for his (phahahaha!), husband was dying with the fear and we ended up going home Sunday evening as we just couldn't face a night in wet everything.

We're old now.

That Kinara really does amazing food! went there twice.

Oh I agree with others - a much nicer vibe and sounder crowd that in previous years (although, to be fair, I've never had any major problems)

and oh! yes! security did not give a ****e - when we initially arrived (red carpark, walked straight through with no delays - unlike last year when I was caught in a crowd for 30 minutes at the exit gate and they started pushing). I brought my bags up to the security check and three women just looked at me. Awkward silence for a few seconds as the 4 of us just stared at each other until I finally said 'em - do you want to search me??' and they just shrugged and said 'no'.
    Thought it was weird because I'd heard so many reports on heightened security this year (same at main arena entrance - no one cared, really looked)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Seems as though they got security right to me seemed a bigger presence but friendlier on the whole

Advertisement