Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Oh there was a Scottish guy - Billy. He was on security in Chaplin. Said the company do all the festivals - they travel for the summer. Were just back from Reading. He came over for a chat once I'd pitched my tent/ poured my first drink. He was so so lovely.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

WM18 wrote: »
    Duran Duran: You always have to take Duran with a huge side order of cheese but i enjoyed the **** out of that set Shoutout to the guy in the Russian style furry hat right in front of us who was absolutely loosing his **** during Ordinary World!

Surely everyone knows he was lip syncing....feel like i was robbed.... left after 4 tunes disappointed

Simon leBon? Definitely not. Sure they had to restart a song because he missed his cue and he said "what can I say, it's a live show"!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Think i am feeling human again(ish).

So who's going to be the brave soul to start the EP 2018 thread?
    (and can we instaban any use of the R-Word & the "i didn't get my code"?)

Well, I for one won't bring up the above band. I've wanted to see them at EP for years, but after they broke the Palestinian boycott i never want to see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Higgeldy

Very similar line up as myself, Bears Den were top of my list but Im sure they'd have appreciated Cosby Tent or something a bit smaller?? and I thoroughly agree about moving Jerry Fish, the clash of sounds in that Bermuda Triangle was infuriating!!!! King Kong Company were EPIC (both times!! ). Still missed the Eskies this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Higgeldy wrote: »
    Still missed the Eskies this year!

Yeah - wonder why they weren't playing - didn't mention much on Facebook until afterwards :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

I breezed through security coming in from the Red Car park, didn't even get me to open my backpack. My 20 year old son coming from Yellow had everything searched thoroughly. I was a bit cheesed off seeing so many people with cans in the arena, and me with my overpriced Paulaner. Going into the music arena, my backpack was searched, but I wasn't really, so I could have brought something in, just not into the potential hassle.

I went home Sunday night after Duran Duran. The son rocks in Monday afternoon with a bigger bag of cans than he left home with. A lot of people had left their unused cans in the campsite as well. He was a happy man. That's his parties sorted till about Christmas. or maybe next Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Anyone know what the story is with the code for early bird. Supposed to be applications opened today. For whatever reason I never automatically get one even though this year was my 7th EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

MediaMan wrote: »
    I noticed the delay too, but I don't think it's possible to fully sort it out, since sound travels so much slower than light. If you're 50 meters from the speakers and screens, you're getting the visuals instantly and the sound more than 1/10th of a second later, which is very noticeable.

Edit: Just saw the later responses. I'd say the sound desk was at least 30-40m back from the stage (open to correction) and at that distance, I reckon it's quite noticeable.

You're on the ball.

I'm an audio engineer, was actually working at EP for the weekend, and there's a very good reason for the delay on the video screens. As you say, sound is much much slower than light.

People don't realise that the SPEAKERS are also on a timed delay. Again, due to the size of the place (and other outdoor venues), a single set of speakers up the front is not usually enough to cover the whole area, so you might have noticed extra speaker towers beyond the main front of house sound tower.

Obviously, the sound from the main front of house speakers on the stage doesn't just stop suddenly once it reaches the second, more distant set of speakers. If you were to stand by the second set of speakers, and the sound from the main speakers was coming out at the exact same time, you'd notice a weakening, weird effect happening. This is because by the time the sound waves from the main speakers reached the second set of speakers, there'd be a noticeable delay. The sound waves would be out of phase (the sound waves wouldn't match up perfectly) and cancellation would happen. The extra speakers, therefore, have to be set up with a delay, so that the sound coming from the front is reinforced, rather than cancelled and echoed. The delay depends on many things, such as atmospheric conditions, which is why outdoor venues are such a balls to set up!

Here's a little video explaining it better and showing the effect for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Simon leBon? Definitely not. Sure they had to restart a song because he missed his cue and he said "what can I say, it's a live show"!

This is what I was going to post in reply to the lip sync comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

MediaMan wrote: »
    I noticed the delay too, but I don't think it's possible to fully sort it out, since sound travels so much slower than light. If you're 50 meters from the speakers and screens, you're getting the visuals instantly and the sound more than 1/10th of a second later, which is very noticeable.

Edit: Just saw the later responses. I'd say the sound desk was at least 30-40m back from the stage (open to correction) and at that distance, I reckon it's quite noticeable.

No it was the the *visuals* that were delayed, not the sound. So it seemed to me to be possible to sort that out. But either way, if it's not fixable, then take away the screens to the sides of the main stage as they're just massively distracting for some people when you're trying to enjoy the performance.

The ones further back are probably fine as the sound starts getting weird back there anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

Loved Duran Duran but can't believe they didn't play The Reflex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Anyone know what the story is with the code for early bird. Supposed to be applications opened today. For whatever reason I never automatically get one even though this year was my 7th EP.

If you have opted out of email notifications from Ticketmaster, then you won't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If you have opted out of email notifications from Ticketmaster, then you won't get it.

Have they actually started sending these out yet though?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MaxManis

[/QUOTE]

Saw Columbia Mills at the Salty Dog stage on Friday night because Jenny Greene was too busy and they were terrific. I saw them on the Jerrry Fish stage on Saturday too. I would love to know what the keyboard player was on Saturday because he went full on Baz dancing around like a mad yoke to the music :) Two great gigs from them overall though

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

The Rusangano Family were bonkers! One of them was leaping around the stage like a 'buck eejit', as my late dad would have said. Highly entertaining; highly brilliant! I've been hoping to catch these guys for a couple of years, now. Such talent; such tight 'rhyming' or whatever it is called when rappers bounce stuff back off each other! Some nice 'gentle' political pokes about various things. Very savvy lads, I'd expect. Probably have put up with their fair share of sh*t over the years. Oh, & what about the mind boggling video of the cows - looked like Aberdeen Angus cattle (my father in law keeps Aberdeen Angus, but never saw them do this!!), their heads bobbing in time to the music. Then, they became all 'mutated'?! Anyone got a link to that?! And their 'tea' song...!
    Great picnic, for mad stuff like this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

mgkelly wrote: »
    The Rusangano Family were bonkers! One of them was leaping around the stage like a 'buck eejit', as my late dad would have said. Highly entertaining; highly brilliant! I've been hoping to catch these guys for a couple of years, now. Such talent; such tight 'rhyming' or whatever it is called when rappers bounce stuff back off each other! Some nice 'gentle' political pokes about various things. Very savvy lads, I'd expect. Probably have put up with their fair share of sh*t over the years. Oh, & what about the mind boggling video of the cows - looked like Aberdeen Angus cattle (my father in law keeps Aberdeen Angus, but never saw them do this!!), their heads bobbing in time to the music. Then, they became all 'mutated'?! Anyone got a link to that?! Ant their 'tea' song...!
    Great picnic, for mad stuff like this!

Ireland's best live band IMO. Have seen them in tiny bars and big festival tents and they never fail to deliver.
    Debut album was a cracker and the new song is brilliant too so I'm optimistic about the follow up.
    Lovely guys too so I'm really thrilled that they are getting such a good response.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭stead

https://www.electricpicnic.ie/news/2018-tickets-sale-week
    This year's process for applying for your discount code for Electric Picnic 2018 tickets will open on Wednesday, 6th September for those of you who don't automatically receive a code from Ticketmaster.
    What's the story with this? First time attending EP. Haven't a clue how the process works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

No code received here yet - have done 5 picnics :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

We booked Early bird for boutique camp, had a nightmare on Thursday getting sorted. Were told to use Yellow Car park, Stopped at gate 7 to ask how to get there, guy in hi-vis hadn't a clue what we were talking about. Drove on into Town and asked 6 different staff there who had no idea either. The real life map from twitter helped us work out how to get there, arrived to find it was closed.
    A group of lads were at gate 4A where they had entered last year, the guy was telling them they had to go to gate 7 to get their early bird bands. That's some walk in the cold, so took pity on them and dropped them round to gate 7 on opposite side. Went back round and were told we had to park in Green. Fair enough, we will just drive up here close to campsite and drop our stuff off, cant do that came the reply.  We had our bands etc on, and showed them how much hassle it would be carrying our gear from green vs. a few meters on up from them. Still no dice.Were cold and hungry by this point and not in the form for arguing the bit out any further so just went back and parked in green and lugged our stuff the long way.  Shambolic communication and organisation all round must say.
    Thankfully things got immensely better from then on, lovely coffee in the camping and a brekkie roll followed by hot shower and we were happy bunnys. Broke into the cans and the tunes and that was us delighted with life for rest of day. Drank our way from camp through trenchtown, salty dog and sat in trailer park for a few hours.Was a bit  cold and tired for the XX, so just had an early night. ****e dance music from the carnival was only downside of the boutique campsite. Wouldn't have known about the farmyard shortcut only for reading it here, once we had that sussed it was a different festival altogether. Took as many cans as we could carry every time we nipped back to site, never any issues. Didn't feel gouged that badly tbf either when we did buy a few rounds. Had some unreal food too, place doing porchetta sambos was divine. Spice bag from Saba delish as well, and grilled cheese sambos/lobster rolls from vans near trailer park all superb.
    There was a lot of noise spill from that heinekin and the other dance tent into Jerry Fish, sounded like Ash being remixed at various points lol.
    Was blown away by King Kong Company, they were worth the entrance fee alone. Gonna get a a gang together for their academy gig in December. Can see why everyone is talking about next year already, cant wait to pull the trigger now myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

optogirl wrote: »
    No code received here yet - have done 5 picnics :confused:

Later today we will get the info

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This was the description I wrote for the clip in Youtube. "Although you can't see too much in this video as the venue is tiny, you just get lost in that music, this was after passing about eight relentless house/techno stages in the arena, this was an absolute paradise with the softest of seats that were hard to move from with the cyclone outside and the most unearthly beautiful music, it was like walking into a set on a David Lynch film. :)"

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Made an awful mistake in that Haunting place by putting on the gas mask beside the old typewriter and inhaling. Dust flew into my eyes and mouth and I nearly choked. Great little spot though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

stead wrote: »

What's the story with this? First time attending EP. Haven't a clue how the process works.

Think it's two or more for initial discount and 3 or more for full discount.

(outside of the standard early bird pricing)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭PinkCamper

stead wrote: »

Does anyone know if it's possible to avail of instalment plan if using loyalty discounts? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

PinkCamper wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to avail of instalment plan if using loyalty discounts? Thanks in advance

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭stead

These are last year's prices according to http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/festivals/heres-how-to-get-the-discounts-when-electric-picnic-2017-tickets-to-go-on-sale-today-35029431.html
    Electric Picnic 2017 Early Bird ticket prices
    Weekend Camping tickets
    €165 if you can prove you've been to 3 or more Picnics
    €185 if you can prove you've been to the Picnic once/twice before

€205 if you haven’t been before

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MaxManis

Does Pink Moon camping be bought separately to your electric picnic ticket?

Snarky Snark Snark

MaxManis wrote: »
    Does Pink Moon camping be bought separately to your electric picnic ticket?

Yes, http://www.pinkmooncamping.co.uk/

And note, it'll likely be the same price as a ticket for a two man tent.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Synode wrote: »
    Made an awful mistake in that Haunting place by putting on the gas mask beside the old typewriter and inhaling. Dust flew into my eyes and mouth and I nearly choked. Great little spot though

You Sir, are why warning labels were invented.

Advertisement