Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

kg703 wrote: »
    It was ridiculously easy to sneak in, I was never checked. My friend had a can in his shirt pocket sticking out and it wasnt even taken off him.

One friends trick was to put the cans under her jacket in her hand - anytime they (half) looked in her bag they never looked at the jacket she was carrying.

In saying that I still treated myself to some lovely cold pints in the arena but including food and drink I spent about 120 all weekend. Not too bad.

we spent average €150 a day EACH on food and drink! really can't figure out how we did tbh. loads of €10 mojitos and €10 redbull+vodkas add up i suppose.

i was just unlucky most days on salty dog and hendrix entrance. they'd search me everywhere when i had stuff and wave me through when i'd gave up and had nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

So, for me, highlights:
    Friday:
    Arrived to the tones of London Grammar in the distance. Sounded good!
    The XX - they got a fairly hard time here (& I do understand why) - I thought they were excellent. Some spine tingling moments.
    Another highlight was that I paid attention to weather forecast, both here & online, & brought my layers! Was never so glad - was bollock freezing on Fri night!
    Sat:
    Touts - they were amazing! As I called it on Twitter, all sideburns & attitude! Probably the 3 of them, put together, are younger than me - felt like it anyhow! As long as the industry doesn't 'abuse' them.
    Rusangano Family - as I said elsewhere, these guys were superb! So 'tight' with their rapping. Full of beans. Can i have some of what they are on?!
    Mr Jukes - possibly the highlight of the weekend. Spine tingling all the way. The man really wants to be a jazz musician! Beautiful female vocals from Freida. Listened to the album again on way home on Sunday evening.
    Elaine Mai - a Mayo lady doing a song about Enniscrone, but not what you'd expect! Really enjoyed her.
    Floating Points - mad! Bits of Orb, Future Sound of London, Aphex Twin etc etc. Great.
    ATCQ did good, too.
    Sun:
    Fang Club - Ireland's Nirvana?! 
    King Kong Company - what are they on - lunatics! Very entertaining. 
    Real Estate - oh, melodic loveliness. They look like nerds, however!
    So, top 3:
    Rusangano Family
    Mr Jukes
    Fang Club

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭stead

Zip lock bags in the jocks worked out well. Didn't have to buy a single drink in the arena, bar mixers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

We arrived down about 9pm Friday, stayed in campervan, hit body and soul about 9.30pm, bumped into Molly and the bitch hit me such a fecking slap I am rolling like something not wise, went to bicep and were having a great time but had to leave as one of the lads was wrecked and kept shining a lamp in peoples face and shouting 'life is grim up north' at the top of his voice, it was funny but could have resulted in a bad situation so we headed on. Walking through the crowd was a kaleidoscope of colour and noise, pure sensory overload, left the mad mate shining his lamp at a stuffed bird in the haunt and headed for hmltd who were great. After some time rambling body and soul retired for the night.
    Saturday- headed in for touts who were class, checked out Wolff in the Jerry fish, dandered around mindfield, listened to Phil Jupitus being interviwed, left when he said drugs were for shallow people, thought feck you Phil you twat, nothing worse than an ex druggie/drinker/smoker spouting their ****e. Then trouble pilgrims in Jerry Fish again, class. Caught Madness on the main, Im not a fan but they put on a great show and the crowd were buzzing. At this stage it was getting cold so we headed back to campervan to get some warm clothes, rain started pretty heavy as we got back. Had a chat with Molly again waiting to the rain to ease as we wanted to see PSB later on but, Molly kept building her chat and the rain kept falling and that was Saturday finished.
    Sunday morning I like a good dander around the site on my own with a smoke and a can or 2, the hoards in Hendrix were a site to behold, like a scene out of the walking dead, horrendous, words cant really capture just how terrible it is. Gangs of yoofs wearing football tops. Wtf, football tops, I just don't get it. Thats the alarm bells for me. Oxygen here we are.
    Sunday is a day for catching plenty of bands, started with goat girl, very good, minimal crowd interaction, caught the end of the mighty KKC who I have seen plenty of times, they are going from strength to strength, feck Pete Tong its now King Kong, great crowd they pulled. I hope they continue on their upward curve.. Then it was Klark Cant body and soul main stage, great tunes, kinda wasted there at that time of the day. Off to the Prentenders who were good. Caught a bit of Hanna wants in Rankins but crowd was a bit young for my liking. Caught the mighty Parquet courts and a bit of a dander around body and soul and sadly had to leave due to family reasons. The Sunday night is usually the best for the craic but cest la vie.
    alas I am finished with the picnic, I find it just a bit too young now for my liking, its been great but all good things come to and end. Sorry for boring the **** out you. Slan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Loyalty codes are out!

Window to use them is between Friday 8 September at 09:00 and Tuesday 31 October at 17:00.

Usual caveats
    Please note that tickets are subject to availability. The loyalty scheme (and use of discount codes) will end at 17:00 on Tuesday 31 October, or in the event of a sell-out of the allocation, whichever comes first. A discount code or request for a discount code does not guarantee a ticket purchase and tickets are sold on a first come first serve basis. The number of available discounted tickets are limited and receipt of a discount code does not guarantee a purchase of a ticket(s). Tickets may sell out before the stated deadlines. The use of discount codes will end once the loyalty tickets have sold out.

"[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sunday morning I like a good dander around the site on my own with a smoke and a can or 2, the hoards in Hendrix were a site to behold, like a scene out of the walking dead, horrendous, words can't really capture just how terrible it is."[/font]
    That's very funny! It was bad enough, walking through on Friday evening to get to Pink Moon!!
    Don't give up on it! I am 47, only started going when in early 40's & will keep going. There were folks at Touts that were much older! I guess it all depends on where you go/who you interact with.

Loyalty codes are out!

Window to use them is between Friday 8 September at 09:00 and Tuesday 31 October at 17:00.

Usual caveats
    Please note that tickets are subject to availability. The loyalty scheme (and use of discount codes) will end at 17:00 on Tuesday 31 October, or in the event of a sell-out of the allocation, whichever comes first. A discount code or request for a discount code does not guarantee a ticket purchase and tickets are sold on a first come first serve basis. The number of available discounted tickets are limited and receipt of a discount code does not guarantee a purchase of a ticket(s). Tickets may sell out before the stated deadlines. The use of discount codes will end once the loyalty tickets have sold out.
    Hasn't arrived in my box yet (missus!) - assume will filter through in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Would love to go ahead and start my instalments for next year on Friday but I ain't gonna be able to pull 60 quid out of my hat before then :'(

Do the early bird tickets usually sell out fast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Wasn't a fan of elbow and Duran Duran finishing off the festival but actually... they were both great.

Ordinary world is a f**kin superb song

BTW, as someone else mentioned them, honorable shout out to Wolff who were excellent in Jerry Fish.

mgkelly wrote: »
    Loyalty codes are out!

Usual caveats
    Hasn't arrived in my box yet (missus!) - assume will filter through in due course.
    My box is now loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

D.Q wrote: »
    There's nothing like post festival sadness. It's so strange to be painfully nostalgic about something that was only two days ago :(

Going through this big time today. It's an extremely emotional time after picnic every year, so many great memories of that special place and it has brought me a lot of happiness and made me a lot of friends over the past few years.

The most beautiful thing about it is that it can be whatever you want it to be. Whether you are an 18 year old being introduced to gigs for the first time, a 50 year old reminiscing with old friends over a few nostalgic tunes, a 30 year old couple off celebrating a honeymoon, a bunch of 23 year olds on a rip roaring session in the campsite or a 4 year old playing in the mud and being pushed around in your pram, it can be such a different experience for everyone yet such a communal experience at the same time.

Saw so many happy faces over the weekend doing what they clearly love doing, without a care in the world. That in itself is magic. I would not swap EP for any other weekend in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Is it possible to do instalments at the early loyalty cheaper price or is it full whack if you go the instalment route?

We missed the early bird last year and ended up paying full amount through instalments.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

thebusher wrote: »
    Is it possible to do instalments at the early loyalty cheaper price or is it full whack if you go the instalment route?

We missed the early bird last year and ended up paying full amount through instalments.

Instalment plan is possible..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Was questioning my life choices yesterday, sweats were so bad Monday night I think the missus thought I'd pissed myself at one point ;) but really enjoyed the weekend.

Chaplin was lovely, apart from this girl walking around scratching her red flakey sunburned arse:) :)
    Nice more mature crowd in there, they were handing out clear bags for every can counts. It wasn't quite ECO camp level, I think most 'got it' bar the odd pocket.

Drove in via the main road @1:30 approx (the road between site and red/green car parks) zero! I mean zero delays, right into the red car park, across 1 field and was at the wrist band exchange, again zero waiting, wasn't searched at all.

Nice mixed crowd throughout the festival from 16 I'd say to 70, far less obnoxious than the previous year.

Site mangement I thought was on a different level this year, helped by early entry, good traffic plan, hard filling through campsites, bark dropped down after sat night rain bins emptied regularly, each toilet area seemed to have a dedicated attendant. No real queues at the bar.
    Security was lax but random, wallet searched twice, guy near me had to take off his shoes heading into the arena at one point.

Too long to cover my fav acts, maybe again.
    Yet again no sign of early bird code :(

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

Fatfrog wrote: »

Chaplin was lovely, apart from this girl walking around scratching her red flakey sunburned arse:) :)

did u meet canneverfindit?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

mgkelly wrote: »
    "[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sunday morning I like a good dander around the site on my own with a smoke and a can or 2, the hoards in Hendrix were a site to behold, like a scene out of the walking dead, horrendous, words can't really capture just how terrible it is."[/font]
    That's very funny! It was bad enough, walking through on Friday evening to get to Pink Moon!!
    Don't give up on it! I am 47, only started going when in early 40's & will keep going. There were folks at Touts that were much older! I guess it all depends on where you go/who you interact with.

Seconded. I'm 51 and there were at least a dozen guys at Touts that were 10-15 years older than me.

• Advertisement

roll wrote: »
    did u meet canneverfindit?!

Unfortunately no...I wish I had

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

[
    Yet again no sign of early bird code :([/QUOTE]

You need to turn "allow updates/news/offers " i.e. spam on Ticketmaster account to get auto code. Not sure if it works retrospectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Seconded. I'm 51 and there were at least a dozen guys at Touts that were 10-15 years older than me.

Aye! Punk's not dead or should that be dad!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

There's never any hassle with sending the pictures of files wristbands off and getting the code back though is there? I do it every year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There's never any hassle with sending the pictures of files wristbands off and getting the code back though is there? I do it every year

Nah you'll be fine doing this, although maybe not in time for the tickets going on sale, but that's really only something to worry about if you're looking for Campervan or Family tickets, which disappear in about 2 minutes.

I think I opted out initially before there was such a thing as a loyalty ticket, ive changed it many times now, but dont get anything, really annoying.

They messed me around in FR last year big time, I went through the process of applying for a code, along with photos of about 6-7 wrist bands I managed to keep.They came back and said that wasn't good enough and needed a photo of me on site.. bollox which I mailed back right away, but FR only got back to me about 5 days later saying it didn't matter as loyatly tickets were sold out.
    Luckily from advice on here Id ditched them and rang ticketmaster direct, guy was sound enough got them 1 day before sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I checked donedeal a fair bit last week, I'd say if you're based in any decent sized town or city you could have had a ticket for €170 last Friday morning. I know one person who got one at this price and another 2 lads who got 2 for €350, there was loads going for under €200 and that's just in Galway. Someone who is still trying to offload tickets on the Friday morning of the festival will take whatever they can get. Waiting is a risk but I think it would be safe enough and you'd probably save a few quid if you can't get early bird tickets. Maybe if they announce 3 massive current headliners you might get caught out but they skimped on the headliners this year and the festival was still a great success by all accounts so I don't see why they wouldn't do the same next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭Charlie

MadYaker wrote: »
    I checked donedeal a fair bit last week, I'd say if you're based in any decent sized town or city you could have had a ticket for €170 last Friday morning. I know one person who got one at this price and another 2 lads who got 2 for €350, there was loads going for under €200 and that's just in Galway. Someone who is still trying to offload tickets on the Friday morning of the festival will take whatever they can get. Waiting is a risk but I think it would be safe enough and you'd probably save a few quid if you can't get early bird tickets. Maybe if they announce 3 massive current headliners you might get caught out but they skimped on the headliners this year and the festival was still a great success by all accounts so I don't see why they wouldn't do the same next year.

Whilst I agree with you that there's a good chance you could grab a late one, I don't think there will be as much of a glut of excess tickets floating around last minute next year. Maybe it's rose tinted glasses, but the feedback/reviews of this year, to me, are as good as I can remember for EP, and I think lingering doubts people have had around the festival the last few years have really been put to bed.

On top of this, sentiment around Body & Soul has taken a bit of a hit, given the increase in prices and the perceived value of their lineups. I think there's going to be as big a surge as ever for people looking to get tickets for EP 2018. I wouldn't want to risk missing a €165 ticket at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

MadYaker wrote: »
    but they skimped on the headliners this year and the festival was still a great success by all accounts so I don't see why they wouldn't do the same next year.

Skimped? First of all and I'm sure you know this, the Picnic was never, ever about Massive headliners. That said the likes of Duran Duran probably cost in excess of 300K. And that's a conservative figure. They have been headlining huge festivals across South American throughout our winter and because they offer a solid show, they are in demand. Looking back over the headliners since day one, this years cost no less than any others. The only skimping is in the musical tastes of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

300k is cheap for a festival headliner. I agree with you that picnic has never been about massive headliners and I think that's a good thing. I've nothing against Duran Duran but there's a reason they are headlining unknown festivals in South America for relatively small fees and not getting close to a million quid for playing the likes of Reading, Leeds, Rock Wretcher, Primavera etc etc, they aren't relevant in this day age to the vast majority of festival goers.

Advertisement