Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Todd Terje

MODERAT were amazing at Metropolis last Friday night. Would be delighted if they were announced.

Moderat's show was breathtaking on Friday.

Hoping for The xx. The snippets of new material they've released in the last few weeks are sounding very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The xx would be nice alright. I still think The Weeknd is a good bet. His initial Europe / US tour takes him up to June 6th but there are no festival dates yet as far as I can see. Would love to see Foals headline, but I don't think they'll be touring next year, probably working on their next album instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

MODERAT were amazing at Metropolis last Friday night. Would be delighted if they were announced. ðŸ™ðŸ‘

Headliner wise my top two are gone and I've not managed to get tickets for either, still hoping for a strong line up of the rest. Radiohead - n/a
    Coldplay - n/a
    Leftfield
    Massive Attack
    Depeche Mode
    Arcade Fire
    Foals
    Royksopp
    Moby
    Two Door Cinema Club
    De la soul
    Ice Cube
    Jungle
    Justice
    Jagwar Ma
    DBFC
    John Grant
    Steve Mason
    The Coral
    Gaz Coombes
    Metronomy
    The Horrors
    Sasha
    Alan Fitzpatrick
    James Zabiela
    Jon Hopkins
    Richie Hawtin
    Laurent Garnier
    Carl Cox
    Trentmoller
    Bookashade

yay to steve mason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

MODERAT were amazing at Metropolis last Friday night. Would be delighted if they were announced. ðŸ™ðŸ‘

Headliner wise my top two are gone and I've not managed to get tickets for either, still hoping for a strong line up of the rest. Radiohead - n/a
    Coldplay - n/a
    Leftfield
    Massive Attack
    Depeche Mode
    Arcade Fire
    Foals
    Royksopp
    Moby
    Two Door Cinema Club
    De la soul
    Ice Cube
    Jungle
    Justice
    Jagwar Ma
    DBFC
    John Grant
    Steve Mason
    The Coral
    Gaz Coombes
    Metronomy
    The Horrors
    Sasha
    Alan Fitzpatrick
    James Zabiela
    Jon Hopkins
    Richie Hawtin
    Laurent Garnier
    Carl Cox
    Trentmoller
    Bookashade

Would Jon Hopkins be back so soon after playing in 2015? Would love to see him again at EP - what a performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Coldplay - n/a
    Leftfield
    Massive Attack
    Depeche Mode
    Arcade Fire
    Foals
    Royksopp
    Moby
    Two Door Cinema Club
    De la soul
    Ice Cube
    Jungle
    Justice
    Jagwar Ma
    DBFC
    John Grant
    Steve Mason
    The Coral
    Gaz Coombes
    Metronomy
    The Horrors
    Sasha
    Alan Fitzpatrick
    James Zabiela
    Jon Hopkins
    Richie Hawtin
    Laurent Garnier
    Carl Cox
    Trentmoller
    Bookashade

This is a fine list. It would be a tragedy of a line up if we don't get at least 5 from this list.

Would love to see Trentemoller again. Really liked his last show.

There was me thinking that Royksopp had retired .. it seems not.

DBFC must happen after this year's cracking set in B&S.

Depeche Mode would be epic.

• Advertisement

Would Jon Hopkins be back so soon after playing in 2015? Would love to see him again at EP - what a performance.

Unless there is a new album out (not aware of anything in the pipeline), I would fear for over-saturation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I think you're probably right. But are the Foos really bigger than Radiohead or the Roses?

I'm assuming it's the Stone Roses, then yes I'd think they probably are (outside the UK/Ireland anyway) ("Guns and" then probably not, until Axel pisses everyone on the planet off again).

The Foos are consistently one of the biggest acts of the last 15 plus years.

Radiohead are no doubt far more important musically but their appeal is to a much smaller audience.
    Radiohead confirmed to headline Glasto, Foos very likely for the Friday slot . Thus a seemingly equal status there, though I'd expect the former to draw a larger crowd.
    I'd also expect Radiohead to headline Coachella again in 2017 and are already down for several large European festivals next Summer following headline slots at US, Japanese & European fests this year. Should they have chosen stadia instead they'd easily have sold out worldwide as they have on previous tours to the US, Latin America, etc.
    Radiohead have had enormous record sales worldwide including two US number ones. I can't find the figures but sales for both acts are probably comparable (edit -apparently both have approximately 30 million album sales worldwide). Their Facebook pages are both just below 12 million followers which implies similar sized fanbases.
    I didn't really want to start a discussion on the relative merits of both but for me Radiohead are easily as big a band as the Foos and arguably much bigger on these islands. I thus think there's a chance of either playing at EP and I have a very obvious preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I didn't really want to start a discussion on the relative merits of both but for me Radiohead are easily as big a band as the Foos and arguably much bigger on these islands. I thus think there's a chance of either playing at EP and I have a very obvious preference.

I'd agree for the most part but I still think Foos would be the much bigger touring act with wider appeal (as was flagged earlier about other acts, music for people who don't like music and much as I like em, I couldn't see R-word selling out Wembley two nights on the trot as the Foos have done in recent years)

Really don't think the Foos would be a "fit" for EP either, would rather see them on their own.

R-word at EP would make me happy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gabe265

Unless there is a new album out (not aware of anything in the pipeline), I would fear for over-saturation.

He's mentioned on twitter a few times he's a new album coming out in 2017, can't link to anything as i've a low post count, but it's happening. Can't wait.

I'd agree for the most part but I still think Foos would be the much bigger touring act with wider appeal (as was flagged earlier about other acts, music for people who don't like music and much as I like em, I couldn't see R-word selling out Wembley two nights on the trot as the Foos have done in recent years)

Really don't think the Foos would be a "fit" for EP either, would rather see them on their own.

R-word at EP would make me happy though.
    You're probably right. Wembley not the Radiohead thing, but if they played they'd probably sell out one night rather than two.

I also don't see the Foos as an EP fit but it depends on the FR direction. They have a history with them and while a lot of Picnic punters wouldn't be happy they'd still draw a huge crowd there.

It'd also be nice to have something other than random speculation to chat about here.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

It'd also be nice to have something other than random speculation to chat about here.

Yeah, think we'll need to check back in a few months on that front,

It's actually quite impressive how non-leaky the whole thing is for something that takes place here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Radiohead confirmed to headline Glasto, Foos very likely for the Friday slot . Thus a seemingly equal status there, though I'd expect the former to draw a larger crowd.
    Radiohead are playing the Friday at Glastonbury, which is generally regarded as the lower of the 3 Pyramid headline slots.

gabe265 wrote: »
    He's mentioned on twitter a few times he's a new album coming out in 2017, can't link to anything as i've a low post count, but it's happening. Can't wait.

Good news indeed. I didn't know that. Definitely something to look forward to.

Really liking the new Ulrich Schnauss album. Its been a while since he played and it was interesting to say the least. Would like to see him again. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me.

Radiohead are playing the Friday at Glastonbury, which is generally regarded as the lower of the 3 Pyramid headline slots.
    Not so - Muse, Arcade Fire, Neil Young, U2, REM, Coldplay, Oasis, The Arctic Monkeys (twice) and Gorillaz are amongst those who've had that slot this century.
    Sunday used to be the weak slot in the past but it's fair to say there's no particularly stronger day anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

They had their symbol painted on the field as an announcement for it, no other act gets that treatment over there. Make no mistake Radiohead are THE act of next year's Glastonbury.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

No way Foo's will do EP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

I'd be very apprehensive of Foos or Radiohead at EP.

The xx, The Weeknd, Gorillaz, Two Door Cinema Club and an oldies act (depeche mode?) seems like a much more reasonable bill. Maybe an Aphex Twin/Moby if we're lucky!

Snarky Snark Snark

heh, Depeche Mode, I think you're seriously underestimating how big they are as a touring act or how much they would cost.

Kasabian are rumoured for Reading and Leeds could be around for EP (awaits the hatred now )

Snarky Snark Snark

Kasabian are rumoured for Reading and Leeds could be around for EP (awaits the hatred now )

meh, my hatred wad was shot over the radio this morning when i woke up.
    they're kinda popular, probably ok live, have their first album (utter meh in its own right, some good songs but mostly meh)

meh meh meh

• Advertisement

heh, Depeche Mode, I think you're seriously underestimating how big they are as a touring act or how much they would cost.

Oddly enough, probably not that big in Ireland. Probably thought of by many as a nostalgia act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

meh, my hatred wad was shot over the radio this morning when i woke up.
    they're kinda popular, probably ok live, have their first album (utter meh in its own right, some good songs but mostly meh)

meh meh meh

Go way with your meh, Kasabian's eponymous album is absolutely class. Flawless live band too, though it's been a while since I've seen them (think Marley Park was the last one I was at)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Synode wrote: »
    Go way with your meh, Kasabian's eponymous album is absolutely class. Flawless live band too, though it's been a while since I've seen them (think Marley Park was the last one I was at)

Not sure I'd go quite as far as 'flawless', but they're absolutely brilliant live.

And 'West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum' is such a great album, too. Actually, so is 'Velociraptor'. Its just 'Empire' thats a bit meh, and even then it has great singles on it.

Do they have a new one coming out?

[also does anyone know why all their stuff except 'West Ryder' is on Spotify?]

Snarky Snark Snark

Go way with your meh, Kasabian's eponymous album is absolutely class.

listened to it again, there's some stompin dancey stuff on it but it's all very samey..

it's not bad but ...

meh...

listened to it again, there's some stompin dancey stuff on it but it's all very samey..

it's not bad but ...

meh...

Each to their own and all but calling it samey is like saying all dance music is samey. You know you're getting old when you say that :pac:

Snarky Snark Snark

Each to their own and all but calling it samey is like saying all dance music is samey. You know you're getting old when you say that :pac:

I am old. But by samey, I mean the tracks on the album. There's not a lot of variation on there. Yeah though, each to own. Wouldn't cheese me off if they played.

Not sure I'd go quite as far as 'flawless', but they're absolutely brilliant live.

And 'West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum' is such a great album, too. Actually, so is 'Velociraptor'. Its just 'Empire' thats a bit meh, and even then it has great singles on it.

Do they have a new one coming out?

[also does anyone know why all their stuff except 'West Ryder' is on Spotify?]

Think an album is due out at some stage next year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The xx new album out on January 17th. Surely a tour to follow, fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

MadYaker wrote: »
    The xx new album out on January 17th. Surely a tour to follow, fingers crossed!

New song is really cool, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_oA9UmRd4I

Would love to catch them in Ireland. I know the boat has totally sailed for them, but how great would they be late night at Body & Soul for EP?

As I say, it's Main Stage for sure if they are at the festival, but that'd be a dream slot.

• Advertisement

Xx are a bag of ****e. Same with that other crowd Alt-J. Please don't book either of these hipster bollox acts for the main stage EP

Advertisement