Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

FL11 I just bought mine and it's 165 in total. It was 55 plus booking fee today then it's 55 on 1st Nov and 55 on 1st December.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Stillill42 wrote: »
    I just wrote a huge post addressing Thundercats Ho's right to enjoy a picnic with These Charming Men as his highlight. It was deadly, and would have ended all discussion on  the matter but it seems to have disappeared into the ether. Not to worry, we're all friends again. Carry on.
    Yeah, I had one that was etherised earlier too...! Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 FL11

andreac wrote: »
    FL11 I just bought mine and it's 165 in total. It was 55 plus booking fee today then it's 55 on 1st Nov and 55 on 1st December.
    Hope that helps.

It does indeed. Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

just about recovered from an epic weekend in time to pickup tickets this morning :D
    have even avoided this thread for fear of flashbacks,just want to say how brilliant Elbow were, the last 3 songs were just perfect.

didn't see half of what I wanted, and some things I really shouldn't have, like a bongo player on Sunday at The salty Dog wearing the shortest cutoffs in the history of mankind:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Granite Head

FL11 wrote: »
    40m or so from the entrance to Joplin from the camper van campsite.

40m into Joplin along the road or 40m along the fence? We camped in Joplin close to the corner nearest campervan fence. There were funny goings on in our tent @ 4.30 / 5.00am Saturday morning but in my fuggy state I was'nt sure what - just recall the door being opened by someone. My car keys were found outside the tent in the morning:confused:

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

I moderate all posts disagreeing with my superior opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

FL11 wrote: »
    davew121 wrote: »
    Pretty annoyed with last week's event early hours of Saturday morning after 4:30am some low life broke into my caravan stole my wife's bun bag that contained our weekends cash while we were sleeping . This parasite tried 13 vans that we know of and was successful getting into 8 of them, he was confronted by a girl across from us and ran off. The next morning when we went looking for the bag we noticed the damage to the door and knew instantly what had happened, I left the caravan found another bun bag underneath a vehicle one section open phone and cards still inside then found a green handbag same thing cash only missing as people started to steer I could see some going through the same emotions I had experienced when I first realised what had happened. Got security involved to be fair the guy was decent and handled the situation well called for the Gardai who also did their best going from one van to another taking the details. My wife's bag was found later that morning all cash cleaned out everything else was there including her iPhone so leads me to believe this lad knew what he was doing all in he got a considerable amount of cash from the area. Have been in touch with the organisers to see if they plan to put stricter measures in place for people accessing the campervan area to avoid this from happening again they are still reviewing the incident at this time!! Read that they arrested 5 males fora lot of theft this year with lots of cash and valuables recovered so looks like there was some planned targeting going on from this group of scum...

Have always used this thread for tips etc. before heading off for EP but never have posted anything.

Sorry to hear what happened to you early Saturday morning but had a run with a thief myself early Saturday morning and wonder if it was the same personnel that hit your camper van.

We camped out in Joplin with some friends and mutual friends about 40m or so from the entrance to Joplin from the camper van campsite. Arrived back after some food just after 5:00 AM. Noticed a light moving around in one of our friends tent and presumed he was just looking for something in his tent. My girlfriend noticed there was someone in his tent with him. In the shhtate we were in - we thought it was one of the other lads playing a prank.
    I went over and asked him what he was up to and a guy popped his head out of the tent. He had been rummaging through the tent with a flashlight while our friend slept.
    There was an altercation and he kept shouting 'Rizzla' as if he was looking for rolling papers. Rizzla must of been some sort of code word for getting caught because when he shouted it - two other guys came up from behind me with their hoods up.
    He was A broad guy about 6'3 or 4 - I am tall and he was towering over me. He had a black wooly hat with a grey trim. I'd know his face if I saw him again. Didn't get much of a look at the other two.
    They moved along down through more tents and my girlfriend ran for security. Later I got the guards and took my details etc. and also put it out on their radio.
    I'm not not making any accusations but only pointing out that all three had Northern English accents - the same as I realized over the weekend as a lot of the security and staff around the campsites. Could explain the free movement inside but obviously it would be hard to say.
    There was a fiver note left on the ground of the tent but our friend wasn't missing his wallet thank god.

Hope you get your camper sorted and them bastards got caught.

On another note - does anyone know what each of the three installments payments will cost with a code for 3 EPs or more?
    I'm getting confused by some of the previous posts.

We had a guy in our group wake up early Saturday morning wake up freezing. He thought one of us opened the tent to check he was alright. After laughing about it one of our neighbors started shouting his name. His wallet was found dumped by their bins with all the cash gone.

We also weren't far from the entrance to the campervan site in Joplin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Jaysus, heard about a few incidents from the girls in the tent next to mine during the weekend.
    Am usually more than a little paranoid at the best of times anyway so when going sleepy times, i have a small bag that i use in the arena, wallet+phone go into it and it always goes into sleeping bag with me

Probably a dumb idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Beekay wrote: »
    We had a guy in our group wake up early Saturday morning wake up freezing. He thought one of us opened the tent to check he was alright. After laughing about it one of our neighbors started shouting his name. His wallet was found dumped by their bins with all the cash gone.

We also weren't far from the entrance to the campervan site in Joplin.

One thing I noticed about the campervan site - you could easily enter it with no weekend ticket and just a campervan pass. And there were times (quite a lot of them actually) when security weren't bothering to check people had wristbands when going from Campervan site into Joplin (and therefore any area outside of the main arena). Thats a massive security gap imo.

It's one reason I wasn't as happy with the lax security this year as some of ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Poorside wrote: »
    just about recovered from an epic weekend in time to pickup tickets this morning :D
    have even avoided this thread for fear of flashbacks,just want to say how brilliant Elbow were, the last 3 songs were just perfect.

didn't see half of what I wanted, and some things I really shouldn't have, like a bongo player on Sunday at The salty Dog wearing the shortest cutoffs in the history of mankind:eek:

Matthew McConaughey again?

Excellent again Niall. Would love to have been there for the few days pre-festival and I may manage it sometime.

I agree with you fully about the hip-hop selection at the RTE Orchestra set. I watched ten minutes of it and the choices seemed poor. Worse given the acts you said were excluded. Though the Orchestra could at least be heard as opposed to last year with Jenny Greene.

And cool that you got all those great tunes at The Haunt. The only time I was in there they were playing Toto.

Give us the lowdown on the Bill Bailey Mumford's takedown.You've also reminded me to catch Donal Dineen next time, your description makes it sound like an ideal EP-closing set.

And one minor correction - The Pretenders were British, not American. Chrissie is from Ohio but was based in London & was working in the shop owned by Vivienne Westwood & Malcolm McClaren on the Kings Road before starting the band.

Finally, I've got to watch the Angel's Share. Been meaning to do so for years but keep forgetting. Enjoy a mellower weekend than last. Geoff

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Excellent again Niall. Would love to have been there for the few days pre-festival and I may manage it sometime.

I agree with you fully about the hip-hop selection at the RTE Orchestra set. I watched ten minutes of it and the choices seemed poor. Worse given the acts you said were excluded. Though the Orchestra could at least be heard as opposed to last year with Jenny Greene.

And cool that you got all those great tunes at The Haunt. The only time I was in there they were playing Toto.

Give us the lowdown on the Bill Bailey Mumford's takedown.You've also reminded me to catch Donal Dineen next time, your description makes it sound like an ideal EP-closing set.

And one minor correction - The Pretenders were British, not American. Chrissie is from Ohio but was based in London & was working in the shop owned by Vivienne Westwood & Malcolm McClaren on the Kings Road before starting the band.

Finally, I've got to watch the Angel's Share. Been meaning to do so for years but keep forgetting. Enjoy a mellower weekend than last. Geoff

I changed the Pretenders bit, to state that they are mainly a British band but influenced possibly by Blondie and the New York punk scene to an extent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Jaysus, heard about a few incidents from the girls in the tent next to mine during the weekend.
    Am usually more than a little paranoid at the best of times anyway so when going sleepy times, i have a small bag that i use in the arena, wallet+phone go into it and it always goes into sleeping bag with me

Probably a dumb idea though.

Not a dumb idea at all. I always keep my bag on me in my sleeping bag, and I never leave cash in the tent when I'm not in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I keep my valueables in my zipped pockets when im sleeping. But that's horrible to hear, I'm lucky that it's never happened to me at any fest, it would put a downer on the whole weekend for me.

As I wasn't at the fest this year I don't know what security were like, but last year security were dicks and I wouldn't have put it past any of them to go robbing tents, if it was the same company this year who knows.... It has happened at glasto in the past where security have been caught robbing tents. They have also been caught selling drugs that they had confiscated. You hear it happening at other festivals too. I'm not saying it was definitely security, most of them are just there to do their jobs, but I wouldn't put any more trust in them than I would in any other attendee that I didn't know.

Don't leave cash, drugs or any other valuables in your tent if you're not there and keep them on your person when you're asleep. If you do that you should be ok.

Excellent write up again BD. Makes me even sadder I missed it this year.

You should definitely try and get on one of the volunteering crews for Glasto in 2019. You've been doing it for years for EP so if you could get references from whoever you've been working for I think they'd definitely give you a similar job doing something in the set up for Glasto. If if you had to do one or two shifts during the fest it would be worth it. Unless I drop dead between now and June 2019 I'll be there with bells on and you should to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I agree with you fully about the hip-hop selection at the RTE Orchestra set. I watched ten minutes of it and the choices seemed poor. Worse given the acts you said were excluded.

Lol. The guy only caught the very end of it then wondered why the older acts were left out. It went in chronological order...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

They're not though.

There was one guy who mentioned a couple of tribute acts. I got through the weekend without seeing any. None of them were advertised in the lineup.

They're filler material, a bit of craic and no more.

Prince Revelation is an awesome tribute to the Purple One. Him and his band are eerily close to the real thing.

He played the Red Cow last Christmas, completely inappropriate for him up there with Red Hurley and Laurie Hartz.

C'mon EP give it to us in 2018.

I agree with you fully about the hip-hop selection at the RTE Orchestra set. I watched ten minutes of it and the choices seemed poor. Worse given the acts you said were excluded.

Lol. The guy only caught the very end of it then wondered why the older acts were left out. It went in chronological order...

Where did Bodhrandude say he only caught the end of it? He stated in his piece that he wasn't there for all but didn't say what part he'd seen.

I was there at the start. And a bit in the middle.  I noted the most obvious & commercial choice of tracks. Not the most influential nor those in the hip-hop canon. Pals confirmed the poor choice later.

If you're going to bill your set as the Story of Hip-Hop then you've got some cojones to include Nelly & Beyonce but exclude Grandmaster Flash, Public Enemy & NWA.

Hip-hop for the Frozen generation.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Excellent write up again BD. Makes me even sadder I missed it this year.

You should definitely try and get on one of the volunteering crews for Glasto in 2019. You've been doing it for years for EP so if you could get references from whoever you've been working for I think they'd definitely give you a similar job doing something in the set up for Glasto. If if you had to do one or two shifts during the fest it would be worth it. Unless I drop dead between now and June 2019 I'll be there with bells on and you should to!

I might try and go for this yet or maybe Latitude next year as Body & Soul have an area in that and I could apply through them. :)

• Advertisement

I was there for a considerable part of the set, were you there Former Former, was the Message by Grandmaster Flash played:"Don't push me cause I'm close to the edge, I'm trying not to loose my head." What about Rappers Delight by the Sugarhill Gang or Can I Kick It by a Tribe Called Quest or Fcuk the Police by NWA. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I was there for a considerable part of the set, were you there Former Former, was the Message by Grandmaster Flash played:"Don't push me cause I'm close to the edge, I'm trying not to loose my head." What about Rappers Delight by the Sugarhill Gang or Can I Kick It by a Tribe Called Quest or Fcuk the Police by NWA. :)

You're missing my point.

You only got the end of the show. It was in CHRONOLOGICAL order. You couldn't possibly have known what earlier tunes were or were not played. But you still made the criticism anyway.

If you're genuinely interested, I was there and they played Can I Kick It and not one but two Sugarhill Gang songs. Crowd went nuts for 'Apache'.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

Anyone got any idea who the Ska band at Trailer Park were last Saturday lunch time?

5 girls, they were excellent. Just stumbled across them as we wandered about. Defo not the Skatalites.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Simon leBon played White Lines, so I suppose they didn't want to step on his toes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Dermwex

Just about sums up the wife and I on the way home on Monday:( https://www.facebook.com/YourEdm/videos/10157204992087837/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

don't take it personal, it is a discussion board after all. Im sorry if I caused you annoyance. I just feel such a major festival the main attractions should not be tribute bands, you can see them up and down the country any given weekend.

We were in the Today FM Sound Garden a few times over the weekend and had a great time. We still saw plenty of live music and saw the headliners we were interested in but we basically spent a lot of our time at EP listening to the radio like we would have done at home. Each to their own. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Can confirm tribe and sugarhill gang were played ... those sets are not to be taken too seriously imo if you enjoy grand if you don't then also grand there a bit of fun and I liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭the_gommes

Was there any craic on the Thursday evening this year? Couldn't make it this year & the FOMO drove me into getting my 2018 tickets this week.

I always bring the campervan down on the Thursday evening. Could you walk from Campervans into the campsites or were they kept separate? Any food options open on the Thursday?

Unless you're crew who've been there all week id say there isn't much happening on a Thursday. It's just the campsites that are open, are there even food places open?

• Advertisement

the_gommes wrote: »
    Was there any craic on the Thursday evening this year? Couldn't make it this year & the FOMO drove me into getting my 2018 tickets this week.

I always bring the campervan down on the Thursday evening. Could you walk from Campervans into the campsites or were they kept separate? Any food options open on the Thursday?

Only the 'Uggy Uggy Uggy' sh1thead was playing any loud music on Thursday night at the carnival in Hendrix, we had to get as far from the sound as possible, thankfully someone was playing some Grace Jones in Body&Soul. Trenchtown was quiet and deserted. There was probably someone playing sounds later in Body&Soul. Actually my mate found a small marquee in the arena that was playing some decent dance music. Yeah loads of food stalls in the Hendrix was open as the majority of volunteers would've landed to work the weekend shifts, plus the early camping option for festival punters.

Advertisement