Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Lol

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭the_gommes

Only the 'Uggy Uggy Uggy' sh1thead was playing any loud music on Thursday night at the carnival in Hendrix, we had to get as far from the sound as possible, thankfully someone was playing some Grace Jones in Body&Soul. Trenchtown was quiet and deserted. There was probably someone playing sounds later in Body&Soul. Actually my mate found a small marquee in the arena that was playing some decent dance music. Yeah loads of food stalls in the Hendrix was open as the majority of volunteers would've landed to work the weekend shifts, plus the early camping option for festival punters.

Ah fair enough, sounds light enough on the craic then. I always head down late Thursday, getting to the campervan park about 1 or 2am. Would've considered heading earlier if there was much happening but hardly worth the hardship. €25 just to get a decent camping spot then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I was there for a considerable part of the set, were you there Former Former, was the Message by Grandmaster Flash played:"Don't push me cause I'm close to the edge, I'm trying not to loose my head." What about Rappers Delight by the Sugarhill Gang or Can I Kick It by a Tribe Called Quest or Fcuk the Police by NWA. :)

I'm gonna guess, there was no Schooly D, MC Shan, Boogie Down Productions, Marley Marl either... Come on we all knew it was gonna be sh1te, that's why all us old school Hip Hop people sneered at the stupid title with our smug music snob attitudes and went elsewhere.

"Only God Knows" why you weren't somewhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Young Fathers were so good. I can't remember when but I was standing on my own in the crowd when your man with the beard was belting something out on his own and I had actual goosebumps.

MJohnston wrote: »
    One thing I noticed about the campervan site - you could easily enter it with no weekend ticket and just a campervan pass. And there were times (quite a lot of them actually) when security weren't bothering to check people had wristbands when going from Campervan site into Joplin (and therefore any area outside of the main arena). Thats a massive security gap imo.

It's one reason I wasn't as happy with the lax security this year as some of ye!

I would also like to see stronger security in campervans, considering that we fire out the best part of €100,000 collectively. Broken campervan doors (through burgulary) can be VERY expensive. There should be separate wristbands for campervan area, easily implemented. Boutique & Pink Moon get this, why not campervans. OK, it means my mates in Joplin cannot drop over for breakfast or late drinks and shelter from the rain, but I would forego that for some better security in the field and knowing that not anyone can just wander in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I thought there was wristbands for campervan fields??? That's ridiculous.

MadYaker wrote: »

Amazingly no. Anyone with a regular camping wristband can just walk in there, sometimes, you don't even need that. Shocking.

Now ideally, if I roll in there on a Thursday night and my better half turns up on the Friday after work, we both will need the bands, so there is a bit of logistics that would need to be worked out, but considering that we pay 97 quid for a spot in a field, maybe EP/FR could figure that out ... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Amazingly no. Anyone with a regular camping wristband can just walk in there, sometimes, you don't even need that. Shocking.

Now ideally, if I roll in there on a Thursday night and my better half turns up on the Friday after work, we both will need the bands, so there is a bit of logistics that would need to be worked out, but considering that we pay 97 quid for a spot in a field, maybe EP/FR could figure that out ... ?

Some this year werent even paying for a spot, they were paying to drive around for a couple of hours on Friday afternoon looking for some space to wedge into, with little or no help from the stewards.

It's pretty clear that Festival Republic sold campervan/caravan passes based on the idea that there would be zero awnings, tents, or pagodas put up, and so they quite heavily oversold.

Then of course they provided 6 portaloos for most of the campervans and a fair portion of the Joplin campsite too (because they could just walk in anyway). It's one of the things turned me off the Picnic, there has been absolutely zero justification for why they added that extra €30/40 on top of the 2015 campervan pass price.

Some this year werent even paying for a spot, they were paying to drive around for a couple of hours on Friday afternoon looking for some space to wedge into, with little or no help from the stewards.

It's pretty clear that Festival Republic sold campervan/caravan passes based on the idea that there would be zero awnings, tents, or pagodas put up, and so they quite heavily oversold.

Then of course they provided 6 portaloos for most of the campervans and a fair portion of the Joplin campsite too (because they could just walk in anyway). It's one of the things turned me off the Picnic, there has been absolutely zero justification for why they added that extra €30/40 on top of the 2015 campervan pass price.

And yet, the stewards always ask "Which side is your awning on?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

How would you manage it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

How would you manage it?

If Pink Moon can do it then so can the campervans

I'm gonna guess, there was no Schooly D, MC Shan, Boogie Down Productions, Marley Marl either... Come on we all knew it was gonna be sh1te, that's why all us old school Hip Hop people sneered at the stupid title with our smug music snob attitudes and went elsewhere.

He was somewhere else, that was the problem.

Synode wrote: »
    If Pink Moon can do it then so can the campervans

But in Pink Moon, you pay on a per person basis, campervans is on a per-vehicle basis (I think?)

So you'd have to have a rule whereby only people who are physically in the campervan at the time it enters the site could get a wristband, so there'd be no possibility for one guy to drive it down on Thurs and his mates to come down the day after... then, do you limit it to two per campervan, four per campervan...

But in Pink Moon, you pay on a per person basis, campervans is on a per-vehicle basis (I think?)

So you'd have to have a rule whereby only people who are physically in the campervan at the time it enters the site could get a wristband, so there'd be no possibility for one guy to drive it down on Thurs and his mates to come down the day after... then, do you limit it to two per campervan, four per campervan...

No, you're overthinking it. Theres already a campervan wristband exchange tent setup, and youd just need to hand out campervan passes at the same time as you're taking the weekend tickets. Pink Moon allows people to check in later after their mates and still pick up a wristband, so theres plenty of precedent.

He was somewhere else, that was the problem.

You seem a little bit antagonistic today former farmer.... Everything okay?

You seem a little bit antagonistic today former farmer.... Everything okay?

Monday, innit

No, you're overthinking it. Theres already a campervan wristband exchange tent setup, and youd just need to hand out campervan passes at the same time as you're taking the weekend tickets. Pink Moon allows people to check in later after their mates and still pick up a wristband, so theres plenty of precedent.

As my better half always says to me "don't bring me problems, bring me solutions "... She's a proper smart arse I must say.

But you can only give out wristbands if you're charging on a per person basis and everyone is registered beforehand.

If the campervan crowd are happy with that, then it's a breeze to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Us complaining on boards.ie isn't going to do anything though. We need to email festival republic, tell them you've been going for years, you've already got tickets for next year etc. If enough people do it they will listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Thing is, I reckon 75% of Campervan/ Caravan folk have pals in tents staying out that site with them (From my own experience this year we had three 4 man tents beside two Campervans underneath a double awning. Have done the same out in the crew camping too for years without any hassle. One year we had 3 campers and two caravans with 8 tents!!)
    I do agree that the security needs to beefed up out there but I'd hate to see them throw the baby out with the bathwater and ban tents completely by looking for special wristbands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davew121

I would also like to see stronger security in campervans, considering that we fire out the best part of €100,000 collectively. Broken campervan doors (through burgulary) can be VERY expensive. There should be separate wristbands for campervan area, easily implemented. Boutique & Pink Moon get this, why not campervans. OK, it means my mates in Joplin cannot drop over for breakfast or late drinks and shelter from the rain, but I would forego that for some better security in the field and knowing that not anyone can just wander in.

Completely agree mate after what I experienced waking Saturday morning wasn't pleasant to me or the other people impacted to see loads of strangers floating about afterwards left us all uneasy trying to enjoy the rest of the weekend. I've been onto FR expressing this opinion to keep it separate and told them their was a lot of discussion being had both here and on social media even the security guy said it's one of the few events he works where it's not enforced! Here's hoping they take notice.

But you can only give out wristbands if you're charging on a per person basis and everyone is registered beforehand.

If the campervan crowd are happy with that, then it's a breeze to resolve.

Why do you need to do that? Pink Moon isnt charged on a per person basis. You could certainly designate a maximum number per campervan/caravan, I think most campervan folks would be happy with that in exchange for actual security.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davew121

The person who drives the campervan in could provide names as in a guest list to allow up to 4 friends in? It keeps control of who's coming and going. Believe me it would provide some sort of comfort having some low life come into your van while sleeping taking your cash for the weekend and then costing me an arm and a leg to get a door fixed doesn't do your weekend experience any use!!

Us complaining on boards.ie isn't going to do anything though. We need to email festival republic, tell them you've been going for years, you've already got tickets for next year etc. If enough people do it they will listen.

Yeah, tried that, they're not responsive. Ultimately I don't think they care about much beyond profit, certainly if something headline worthy bad happened they'd be all over it, but they aren't going to care about a bunch of campervan owners!

Yeah, tried that, they're not responsive. Ultimately I don't think they care about much beyond profit, certainly if something headline worthy bad happened they'd be all over it, but they aren't going to care about a bunch of campervan owners!

When i fly my caravan into their skyscraper they will take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

When i fly my caravan into their skyscraper they will take notice.

Topical.

D.Q wrote: »
    Topical.

Oh sh1t .. I only just realised the date ... a bit disrespectful in retrospect. Sorry if I offended.

Why do you need to do that? Pink Moon isnt charged on a per person basis. You could certainly designate a maximum number per campervan/caravan, I think most campervan folks would be happy with that in exchange for actual security.

It is though. What I mean is, you can't buy a two-man tent and rock up with four people to squeeze into it. You can't bring your non-PM mates back to the tent for a few beers. If you want six people in Pink Moon, then you pay for six people.

TBH, your gear is a lot safer in a campervan than it is in a tent. I'm not sure there's much of an issue really.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

you can't buy a two-man tent and rock up with four people to squeeze into it....

17-23 yr old me regularly did this at the likes of Reading, Witness & Glastonbury!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I'm after booking a 2 man rainbow Tipi in Pink Moon. Has anyone ever brought their kids down for a night into Pink Moon? They ask when booking how many people will be staying in it and the max you can pick is 2. Wonder would they let me bring 2 kids in for just the Friday night, Saturday afternoon. I'm guessing the answer is no. I should have been on the ball last week and booked a family camping spot.

Advertisement