Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

room_149 wrote: »
    Thing is, I reckon 75% of Campervan/ Caravan folk have pals in tents staying out that site with them (From my own experience this year we had three 4 man tents beside two Campervans underneath a double awning. Have done the same out in the crew camping too for years without any hassle. One year we had 3 campers and two caravans with 8 tents!!)
    I do agree that the security needs to beefed up out there but I'd hate to see them throw the baby out with the bathwater and ban tents completely by looking for special wristbands

I am not sure it is quite 75%, but yeah that sort of thing happens. But in fairness, its not supposed to happen like that and strictly speaking bringing all your buddies around to camp their tents beside your van and building your own camp within a camp is not what the campervan ticket is about.

I will be addressing security in my own van regardless of what FR do about it (if anything).

These things are great btw. Top notch security and a guaranteed deterrent.

31kGRqbTaJL.jpg

Used to have these on the camper in the past and I will be putting one my caravan over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

camp within a camp is not what the campervan ticket is about.

Always viewed it differently I guess.
    Never had anything stolen from me or the rest of the group at a festival to date over the years and always had it down to having strength in numbers.

Always viewed it differently I guess.
    Never had anything stolen from me or the rest of the group at a festival to date over the years and always had it down to having strength in numbers.

Hey, I have done it myself many times, so I'm not judging. I would just hate to come home some evening and see my door broken and swinging open. It would break my heart.

I have also never had anything stolen in the campervan field, but clearly it happened this year to at least 6 others that we know of. That's what started this conversation in the first place. This year I didn't have the door security lock fitted, so I had a radio on and a light on while I wasn't there. But it seems it was when people were sleeping that it happened, which is quite shocking really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

These things are great btw. Top notch security and a guaranteed deterrent.

31kGRqbTaJL.jpg

Used to have these on the camper in the past and I will be putting one my caravan over the winter.

Might want to include a linky to that for the rest of the class there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

MJohnston wrote: »
    No, you're overthinking it. Theres already a campervan wristband exchange tent setup, and youd just need to hand out campervan passes at the same time as you're taking the weekend tickets. Pink Moon allows people to check in later after their mates and still pick up a wristband, so theres plenty of precedent.

But you can only give out wristbands if you're charging on a per person basis and everyone is registered beforehand.

If the campervan crowd are happy with that, then it's a breeze to resolve.
    How about four campervan site wristbands per campervan? You can then distribute any excess to trusted pals.

• Advertisement

Hey, I have done it myself many times, so I'm not judging. I would just hate to come home some evening and see my door broken and swinging open. It would break my heart.

I have also never had anything stolen in the campervan field, but clearly it happened this year to at least 6 others that we know of. That's what started this conversation in the first place. This year I didn't have the door security lock fitted, so I had a radio on and a light on while I wasn't there. But it seems it was when people were sleeping that it happened, which is quite shocking really.

6 people? That's pretty dread. I'll be making sure my convoy are all in the Crew camp next year if this is the craic out in the General Campersite now.
    I left the door of my van wide open all night on Sunday with an Ipad on the table outside in the awning! Never figured to close it.
    We had a couple of souls sat all night boozing & talking in it to scare off any thieves in saying that though.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    How about four campervan site wristbands per campervan? You can then distribute any excess to trusted pals.

This is the solution ... simple and effective.

Might want to include a linky to that for the rest of the class there.

They are called "Fiamma Safe Door" ... you get them on amazon or ebay.

Good idea-
    Could get messy though.
    One of our crew came with a Horsebox yoke one year!!
    Slept 9 in it
    Couple of 8 berth ones parked beside me this year- presume 8 bands per vehicle for these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

That creates about five more issues though.

This whole argument is based on the idea that the thieves came from outside the campervan area but maybe they didn't?

And you can't do any of this without jacking up the cost and that will probably end the debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Back to the music...
    Have been doing some frequent listening to Mr Jukes album.
    Real quality stuff. Very impressed. They said on the day that it was their 3rd ever gig.
    Anyone else there?
    Was one of the highlights of the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

mgkelly wrote: »
    Back to the music...
    Real quality stuff. Very impressed. They said on the day that it was their 3rd ever gig.
    Anyone else there?

yes, their very funky Lauryn Hill cover was most enjoyable.

This whole argument is based on the idea that the thieves came from outside the campervan area but maybe they didn't?

And you can't do any of this without jacking up the cost and that will probably end the debate.

Balance of probabilities and past history has the thieves from outside. Organised most likely, and quite possibly the gang that were arrested on the site.
    The post above has put my reply as your post. Gremlins ahoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Back to the music...
    Anyone else there?
    Yep.They were great. Brilliant funky brass before the backing singers came out and onto a different level after that. Cool atmosphere.

Back to the music...
    Anyone else there?
    Love the album but didn't get into the gig. Just didn't suit my mood as the rain was starting. Gave it 30 mins then left. But I'd give them another try when they come back over.

Balance of probabilities and past history has the thieves from outside. Organised most likely, and quite possibly the gang that were arrested on the site.
    The cost of Campervan wristbands will be minimal. Similar with relocating a couple of security staff from elsewhere in the site. It's not like there was a shortage of such personnel last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So is that the festival over for this year now or is it still ongoing. :):)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

You can close it up now.

I'd like to say thank you and behalf of the group and ourselves I hope we've passed the audition.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No, I don't always try to get the last word in!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oh come on, it's *exactly* how Pink Moon operates. Campervan attendees pay €100 more than any regular campers going to EP, so we could expect really anything for that money. We get Thursday access, call that €25, but that's it.

Again see above, campervan pass attendees are already paying €100 for feck all, it's time Festival Republic started actually doing something.

• Advertisement

Love the album but didn't get into the gig. Just didn't suit my mood as the rain was starting. Gave it 30 mins then left. But I'd give them another try when they come back over.

This is exactly how I felt about it. Couldn't get into it at all. I headed back over to All Tvvins. Love the Mr Jukes album though, especially that leap of faith song.

Close the thread?!! I reckon we've another few weeks of post Picnic whinging & positing left in us..:)!!!
    Let's keep it lit-
    Anyone heading for Metropolis at the RDS next month?! Boards meet up outside the main hall before Leftfield do Leftism? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Close the thread?!! I reckon we've another few weeks of post Picnic whinging & positing left in us..:)!!!
    Let's keep it lit-
    Anyone heading for Metropolis at the RDS next month?! Boards meet up outside the main hall before Leftfield do Leftism? ;)

See you there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Let's keep it lit-

Here's my whinge - less talk of Pink Moon (the same posters post the same drivel every year), and more talk of music, activities and Electric Picnic stories from days gone past would make for a more interesting read. :)

By the by, I meant no ill will to any punters who had their vans/tents broken into & belongings stolen at the Picnic.
    You are blameless victims- not whingers

I'm not George Hook..

#Topical

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Sad news reports from Bestival about the death of a young girl Louella Michie, rumoured to have taken the lethal drug doing the rounds in the US, the daughter of the Holby City and Casualty actor, John Michie, Her body found in the Ambient Woods area. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-41233845

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

does the article not say someone was arrested on suspicion of murder?

Sad news reports from Bestival about the death of a young girl Louella Michie, rumoured to have taken the lethal drug doing the rounds in the US, the daughter of the Holby City and Casualty actor, John Michie, Her body found in the Ambient Woods area. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-41233845

... and yet the police have arrested a man on suspicion of murder

By the by, I meant no ill will to any punters who had their vans/tents broken into & belongings stolen at the Picnic.
    You are blameless victims- not whingers

I'm not George Hook..

#Topical

This narrows down your true identity. We are closing in on you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Incredible.

Read the news piece that you've linked to ffs.

Advertisement