Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Incredible.

Read the news piece that you've linked to ffs.
    28-year old man arrested on suspicion of supply of a controlled substance and murder. Initial post-mortem shows no sign of assault. 

You'll likely find there'll be no murder charges, though possibly manslaughter. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-dorset-41238633

And from The Guardian, quoting her father:

Despite the arrest, Michie told the Sun that his daughter’s death at Bestival was a “tragic accident”. 
    The 60-year-old said that the family had “lost an angel”, but that the death was “not murder”.
    He told the paper: “We’ve lost our angel. It’s not murder - they were friends. It was just a tragic mistake, a tragic accident.

Please do some research before attacking other posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

eplady2017 wrote: »
    Pink moon seems to have gone up in price again this year... 4 man tent I paid €410 for last year is showing up as €450 on their site..

i paid 450 last year for 4 man,
    they had an early bird last year which i missed out on,
    they dont seem to be doing it this year,
    i assume you booked really early last year hence the 410

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

wait, so it was a drug overdose at bestival? and they're calling it murder. that's a strange one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

wait, so it was a drug overdose at bestival? and they're calling it murder. that's a strange one

more likely charging some one with murder in order to be able to hold and question him longer to get the actual story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Anyone else think Mother DJs weren't as good this year? They played some great songs but also some rubbish. I was too far back to see if it was Ghostboy I was watching but it didn't look like him. He's also on the mic a good bit and there was none of that while I was there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Supplying drugs to someone who dies because of them is essentially prosecutable as manslaughter. Murder would be a stretch, but could be a tactic used by the police to get a confession.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭Charlie

Synode wrote: »
    Anyone else think Mother DJs weren't as good this year? They played some great songs but also some rubbish. I was too far back to see if it was Ghostboy I was watching but it didn't look like him. He's also on the mic a good bit and there was none of that while I was there

I thought they were immense myself, but we were right up the frog which I always finds helps with these things.

The likes of Mother are the unsung heros of Irish festivals. To me, I'll have as good a time seeing them close a stage, as I would swing any headliner on the main stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Charlie wrote: »
    I thought they were immense myself, but we were right up the frog which I always finds helps with these things.

The likes of Mother are the unsung heros of Irish festivals. To me, I'll have as good a time seeing them close a stage, as I would swing any headliner on the main stage.

Same for me I thought they were brilliant, always the perfect way to end the festival. Great combination of songs you can dance to and songs you can sing your heart out to, I feel as if everyone goes to the rave in the woods by default and most people are going through the motions whereas at Mother everyone is there because they love the music. I've a playlist of tunes I've heard mother play over the years at festivals, mainly obvious ones but a great one to stick on before a night out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't think I've ever seen the mother DJs, I'm always so goosed by that hour and I always end up in the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

.....I always end up in bed :(
    Sorry lads, but I'm 47 & not fit for any of that carry on at my age!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

mgkelly wrote: »
    .....I always end up in bed :(
    Sorry lads, but I'm 47 & not fit for any of that carry on at my age!

The spirit is willing but the flesh is spongy and bruised...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Charlie wrote: »

Is that another term for 'mad ouv it'? :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭evani1976

Lads, first time at EP in 9 years (kids..:()and had a great time. Only thing missing for me was somewhere to crash around 2 or 3 am and recharge batteries..!...the little tea tent was great in b&s any more like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

room_149 wrote: »
    Close the thread?!! I reckon we've another few weeks of post Picnic whinging & positing left in us..:)!!!
    Let's keep it lit-
    Anyone heading for Metropolis at the RDS next month?! Boards meet up outside the main hall before Leftfield do Leftism? ;)

Really looking forward to this - Happy to meet up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Really looking forward to this - Happy to meet up :D

A group of us were going to this and so far I'm the only one to fork out for the ticket so I may agree to this yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Where was Mother? I missed this completely

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Where was Mother? I missed this completely

At the Earthship stage at Body&Soul Village Sunday night/ Monday morning from 12 AM onwards.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davew121

Official Response from Festival Republic for anyone who thinks it might be worth adding pressure by sending an email for them to issue a separate wristband and extra security measures for the campervan section??

Hi David
    Thank you for your email.
    We work very closely with An Garda Síochána and our onsite security companies to prevent crime from occurring. Unfortunately, an element of this is reliant on the integrity of other festival attendees.

I am sorry to read that this occurred whilst you were attending the festival. Please be assured, we continually review our security and stewarding plan and I assure you that we will continue to put systems in place to combat this type of crime. We are continually looking at ways to improve on all aspects of the festival each year, your comments in relation to a supplementary wristband have been passed on to our ticketing and access team for review.

Many thanks for taking the time to bring these matters to our attention, your feedback and suggestions are much appreciated and have been passed on to our management team. I hope this did not mar your overall enjoyment of the festival.
    Kind Regards,
    Electric Picnic team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Well it sounds like they are listening at the very least. The more people who email and tweet them the more likely they are to do something. The problem with EP is every aspect of it is guaranteed to sell out, tickets, campervan passes, pink moon etc and when that's the case there is little incentive for the organisers to change anything.

I followed up with -

Many thanks for the reply,
    With the amount of vehicles that were interfered with I doubt this person was there for the music and enjoyment on offer. Thank you for taking on board the comments, there has been a lot of talk on various social channels regarding the situation and the general feeling is that there should be controlled access to the site restricting anyone who is not using a campervan or caravan. I tried to get along with the weekend as best as possible but with it happening on the very first night it did leave me with a feeling of unease for the rest of the festival due to the amount of people who were walking around all weekend in the area looking for somewhere to crash away from the campsites for a while. The value of the vehicles and mobile homes in this area supersedes anywhere else on site for festival goers and is a magnet to people who see it as easy pickings whether that be break into a cara/campervan of the vehicle towing it for a quick profit from committing a crime.

and they replied -

Hi David

Thank you for your response. As mentioned, your comments have been noted and passed on to all relevant parties for consideration.

We do appreciate you getting in touch with your concerns, your comments are vital in helping us improve on such aspects for future events.

So I do think it is worthwile for others to get in touch.

What email did you contact them on?

MJohnston wrote: »
    What email did you contact them on?

enquiries@festivalrepublic.com

Since campervan tickets have already gone on sale, I can't see any changes happening for next year. Any significant changes would have to be in place from day 1.

Since campervan tickets have already gone on sale, I can't see any changes happening for next year. Any significant changes would have to be in place from day 1.

Why would they? All they've done so far is take people's money. They don't send out the passes until about 2 weeks before the festival, and can easily update their policies in the intermediate period.

Capping the number of people allowed in for a single campervan at like 6 or 8 seems pretty reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I think we would be happy enough with an increased dedicated security presence. I know I keep mentioning it, but together we pay best part of €100,000. I would expect that €10,000 would go a long way to improving the security presence in the field.

Regardless, we should be proactive. I am investing in security door locks and motion alarms over the winter. You can secure your van for less than €100, if you can use a drill and a bit of Sikaflex.

Why would they? All they've done so far is take people's money. They don't send out the passes until about 2 weeks before the festival, and can easily update their policies in the intermediate period.

Capping the number of people allowed in for a single campervan at like 6 or 8 seems pretty reasonable.

Exactly. They've taken your money. Would you be OK if they come back and ask for more?

Exactly. They've taken your money. Would you be OK if they come back and ask for more?

You're the only one suggesting they'd need extra money for these changes though!

• Advertisement

You're the only one suggesting they'd need extra money for these changes though!

Well, is not very likely?

Sale price of ticket = cost of service + profit margin.

If you bring in increased security and additional wristbanding, whatever else, then the cost of the service goes up. That means either increased price for you or reduced profit for them. So either they take the hit, or you do...

Advertisement