Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Did anyone hear about the trees collapsing onto two tents on Saturday night in the Hendrix campsite, got a text from a mate the Monday after saying that happened, luckily there was no one in both tents at the time.

How long before you're accused of incorrect reporting BD?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oh and another security measure they should do is actually checking that people with a campervan pass have festival tickets when they drive onto the site. A thief who has to fork out €300+ to actually get in and steal things might be discouraged more than the one who currently only has to pay €93.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    The tents themselves are of minimal value. The campervans are not. Damage to the latter would make for a very costly (and unenjoyable) experience.

I agree but the additional wristband doesn't solve this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

MJohnston wrote: »
    The campervan site could probably do with extra security presence in the actual site too, not just at the entrance (similar to how there are permanent security presences throughout the regular campsites).

I agree wholeheartedly, I'd think this would be much more effective than having restricted access via wristbands, which I don't think would solve the problem.

As far as I'm aware glastonbury and the likes all have the same arrangement as EP currently?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    The tents themselves are of minimal value. The campervans are not. Damage to the latter would make for a very costly (and unenjoyable) experience.

I agree but the additional wristband doesn't solve this either.
    Why not? Extra security and checks as we've suggested. Highly likely to discourage thieves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

No, it really really doesn't. I'm sorry, but nothing you have listed there is worth €10, let alone €75. We're already paying the general ticket prices too remember, so we would definitely take up some space in the campsites that we're freeing up by using the campervans. And the campervan site always requires significantly less cleanup afterwards (comparable to the Eco campsite actually).

They currently provide nothing for our campervan pass money, and it's entirely viable that they could start doing so.

It's a luxury item. It's worth what someone will pay for it. Based on demand, you'd imagine they could charge a lot more and still get it.

You're asking FR to take something that sells out almost immediately, year after year, then significantly improve the product at additional cost to them, with no increase in the purchase price. I don't think that is realistic or reasonable.

So far, MJohnston, you've called me silly, pedantic and arguing for the sake of it. I don't think any of that is necessary to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yeah your right it was Sunday morning the incident happened, just looked back on the text there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I agree wholeheartedly, I'd think this would be much more effective than having restricted access via wristbands, which I don't think would solve the problem.

As far as I'm aware glastonbury and the likes all have the same arrangement as EP currently?

Body and Soul doesn't anyway iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It's a luxury item. It's worth what someone will pay for it. Based on demand, you'd imagine they could charge a lot more and still get it.

You're asking FR to take something that sells out almost immediately, year after year, then significantly improve the product at additional cost to them, with no increase in the purchase price. I don't think that is realistic or reasonable.

So far, MJohnston, you've called me silly, pedantic and arguing for the sake of it. I don't think any of that is necessary to be honest.

But they have steadily increased the price of campervan tickets over the last few years have they not? And they have provided zero extra services for this.

I don't see why you have such a problem with it. Festival Republic make a huge profit off this festival every year, a basic wrist banding system would be simple enough to implement and would go a long way to solving this issue and it wouldn't eat into their (steadily increasing) profit margin much at all. I was amazed when I heard there was no wristband necessary for access to the campervan fields, it's standard practice at every other EP sized festival that allows campervans.
    Meh, the campervan field is a lot less crowded than the other fields, there's a cost associated with that, and you don't have to haul your stuff across a load of fields, you just drive right in. Is that worth €75? I don't know.

However, in your proposed model, €75 between six people is not a premium price at all, it's €12.50 a head for all the above, plus more facilities and more security. It's not viable.

So you would need to charge more, and that's really my only point. This is all eminently sensible and possible but it has to be paid for.

This is nonsense to be honest. How is the fact that the campervan field is less crowded than the tent fields costing EP more money? They pay €75 and all they get is a few sh!tty compost toilets and a place to empty their toilets from the campers, that's it and it's miles from the arena compared to all the other campsites. By your logic I should have to pay extra to pitch my tent up the top of Oscar Wilde or Hendrix just because they're right beside the arena entrances. Come off it. Also I think you'll find none of the campers actually have 6 people staying in them, the most is almost always 4.

Nope, glasto has extra security and wristbands for people staying in campervans. Go to any other EU festival thats the same size as EP and it's they way they all do it because it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Oh and another security measure they should do is actually checking that people with a campervan pass have festival tickets when they drive onto the site. A thief who has to fork out €300+ to actually get in and steal things might be discouraged more than the one who currently only has to pay €93.

Does this not happen at EP? :eek: I'm shocked!

At Indiependence everyone in the CAR has to show a ticket on the way into the parking lot

• Advertisement

A great interview with Tara McGuinness, who runs the Bandstand stage at the Body&Soul Village/Electric Picnic, she champions the unknown Irish acts giving them a chance for a spotlight on the stage. https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/finding-musical-serendipity-at-electric-picnic-s-smaller-stages-1.3202279

But that makes no sense to what I'm talking about here, which is what people would like Festival Republic to do, and what is viable for them to do. What they will do is a completely different issue.

First of all, again you're arguing that just because FR are unlikely to do something, we shouldn't bother asking them.

I'm not arguing that they're likely to do anything (in fact I'm pretty convinced FR couldn't give two hoots about anyone attending the festival), I'm just pointing out what people who are attending would like for their money, and what we would like to see improved.

The 'value for money' issue, I'd agree that FR offering more would certainly eat into their substantial profits from campervan passes, but I'm not arguing for anything that would turn them into losses. Currently they basically offer nothing for €75, so there's plenty of profit there to be eaten into.

I don't think I've called you anything, I've said that certain things in your posts are, however.

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Does this not happen at EP? :eek: I'm shocked!

At Indiependence everyone in the CAR has to show a ticket on the way into the parking lot

No, they didn't even ask for 1 single ticket on the way in this year.

So, very possible there were people in the campervan site who only had a campervan pass, and didn't have any festival tickets.

And as I've said before, there were multiple occasions where I went from the campervan site into the Joplin campsite (which is then open to everywhere but the main arena) and did not have my festival wristband even looked at, let alone checked.

Which means it was entirely possible that some people bought a campervan pass, and were able to access all of the general campsites, as well as all of the stages outside of the main arena, all without a festival ticket.

Yeah your right it was Sunday morning the incident happened, just looked back on the text there.
    Wasn't saying you're wrong, just that another poster here may soon question your reporting. And that does sound pretty scary. Not a good festival experience to have a tree land on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

No, they didn't even ask for 1 single ticket on the way in this year.

So, very possible there were people in the campervan site who only had a campervan pass, and didn't have any festival tickets.

And as I've said before, there were multiple occasions where I went from the campervan site into the Joplin campsite (which is then open to everywhere but the main arena) and did not have my festival wristband even looked at, let alone checked.

Which means it was entirely possible that some people bought a campervan pass, and were able to access all of the general campsites, as well as all of the stages outside of the main arena, all without a festival ticket.

Over the whole weekend I only remember being asked to show my wristband once, that was going into the arena and when I went to show it to the girl I realised my jacket was covering it but kept walking and she didn't care... :rolleyes:
    I was camped in Chaplin btw which was just splendid (except for the guy screaming about a banana on sunday night/monday morning...

Actually, special mention to the portaloo stewards in chaplin, toilets were kept immaculate all weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ah. This is what happens when we let it linger. It's where EP threads go to die. Farewell, EP 2017. I loved your early stuff. To the future!

Did anyone get to see Jack L at the Hazelwood stage, looks like a nice gig.

One of the better acts at Other Voices.

Aw man that looks wicked, despite the pouring rain, wish I went to see them now and thank you to Mike McCarthy for uploading as there is very few clear audio clips of ATCQ at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

As a rumoured EP 2018 headliner would say "don't pay the ferryman, don't even fix a price, until he gets you to the other side".
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I can only assume that this is a nasty, vicious, unsubstantiated rumour, designed to cause upset.....?![/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]:wassat:[/font]

• Advertisement

Aw man that looks wicked, despite the pouring rain, wish I went to see them now and thank you to Mike McCarthy for uploading as there is very few clear audio clips of ATCQ at EP.

They really were quite good. Better than I expected. Still, I couldn't help thinking about the 'elasticated waistband' comment somewhere on here, very early on in the thread! 
    Someone had been talking about old rap/hip hop acts, and the profusion of elasticated waistbands!
    Boy, these lads had piled on the beef, too! Wondered if one of them was going to cowp on stage & what we'd all do?!
    Worth the listen, tho'. People doubted their ability to carry it off.

A well made video highlighting the Haunt venue in Body&Soul Village.

mgkelly wrote: »
    They really were quite good. Better than I expected. Still, I couldn't help thinking about the 'elasticated waistband' comment somewhere on here, very early on in the thread!
    Someone had been talking about old rap/hip hop acts, and the profusion of elasticated waistbands!
    Boy, these lads had piled on the beef, too! Wondered if one of them was going to cowp on stage & what we'd all do?!
    Worth the listen, tho'. People doubted their ability to carry it off.

You mean Jarobi I guess - that man's actually thinner than he used to be though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Someone had been talking about old rap/hip hop acts, and the profusion of elasticated waistbands!...

Pretty sure that was in relation to De La Soul

...yes, I think it was! 
    Would have loved to have seen them! Could have joined Mr Jukes on stage for their joint song - Leap of Faith!

Someone had been talking about old rap/hip hop acts, and the profusion of elasticated waistbands!...

Pretty sure that was in relation to De La Soul
    And Wu Tang Clan. The day-glo stretchy sportswear not a great look in the late-August late-afternoon Laois sunshine. Unless you're Har Mar Superstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Fcuk wu tan clan, They played 4/5 years ago and were utter ****e, buncha lads leppin, screaming and cursing to beat the band. Total ****e esp when compared to Atcq or more modern acts like young gods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I'm still singing that earworm from Michael Kiwanuka - Bah, bah, badadadadda, Bah, bah, badadadadda. Savage. The only song I seen on the way home after the Pretenders and it felt like it went on for hours.

Bloody good song sir

• Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Synode wrote: »
    I'm still singing that earworm from Michael Kiwanuka - Bah, bah, badadadadda, Bah, bah, badadadadda. Savage. The only song I seen on the way home after the Pretenders and it felt like it went on for hours.

Bloody good song sir

Love and hate ;)

He was excellent, pity he didn't have a bigger crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

I've being saying it for years, I think James would be a great booking . Perfect picnic band . Also Peter Hook and the light, great live .

Advertisement