Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Love and hate ;)

He was excellent, pity he didn't have a bigger crowd.

I am still convinced I am a black man in a white world.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Graham1978 wrote: »
    I've being saying it for years, I think James would be a great booking . Perfect picnic band . Also Peter Hook and the light, great live .

Agreed, tis quite odd that they've never been booked.
    Hooky & the light would be great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sweeneed

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Love and hate ;)

He was excellent, pity he didn't have a bigger crowd.

Thought he was class. I was watching rubber bandits and it sounded like a pink floyd gig or something so i left the comedy and caught the last 15 of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Northside festival in Denmark announced its headline acts, think its the first European one to announce. Takes place in early June so some of the acts may be touring Europe at that end of the summer and more likely for the likes of Primavera than EP but at least we know who is around.

The National, Queens of the Stone Age and Father John Misty announced as headliners, with Cigarettes After Sex on the bill too.

Wouldn't expect Father John Misty again after performing this year but the National are surely a good shout? Apparently QOTSA are doing big outdoor shows next year too so would expect a mid-summer Marlay Park or a festival slot here. How big a demand would there be for QOTSA here? Like their 3Arena show (15k) sold out pretty sharpish, so would they sell out 30-45k in a big field in the summer, or would they be more likely to do a festival show?

You'd expect the likes of the War on Drugs, Tame Impala (if they release new music), Beck, the Killers and St Vincent to be doing the rounds on the festival circuit next year after new albums and smaller tours (in some cases) this year. Any or all could be a good bet for EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Did anyone catch Clark's or Tiga's sets, were they good.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

My missus told me we were at Clark and that I was enjoying myself
    That's about all I'm able to tell you.
    Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

room_149 wrote: »
    My missus told me we were at Clark and that I was enjoying myself
    That's about all I'm able to tell you.
    Sorry!
    Just to confirm for me , was Clark the guy with 2 dancers who were really weird and wonderful ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Queens arent big enough for a field yet IMO. I do think they'd sell out a show in Cork and/or Belfast along with a 3Arena date to surmount this... To my mind theres nothing on the current record which will see 'em jump past this level.

Trying to work out what their biggest show (non festival) to date has been. Manchester Arena, 21k?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I was at Tiga and thought he was disappointing, it was a DJ set so he didn't play many of his own tunes, I left before he ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

We were at Clark - simply fantastic. I was about 10 back from the front. The dancers were also great, if a little freaky..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Wooderson wrote: »
    Queens arent big enough for a field yet IMO. I do think they'd sell out a show in Cork and/or Belfast along with a 3Arena date to surmount this... To my mind theres nothing on the current record which will see 'em jump past this level.

Trying to work out what their biggest show (non festival) to date has been. Manchester Arena, 21k?

duran duran or atcq wouldnt fill or come close to filling the three arena. Qotsa have sold out the three arena months in advance.they have headlined much bigger festivals than EP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think if QOTSA are doing festivals next summer there's a good chance EP will book them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You could probably stick 2018 speculation on the 2018 thread! This one's for us whingy feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Peter File wrote: »
    Wooderson wrote: »

duran duran or atcq wouldnt fill or come close to filling the three arena. Qotsa have sold out the three arena months in advance.they have headlined much bigger festivals than EP
    With the greatest of respect that's just nonsense. Duran's last two Dublin shows were selling out The Point in 2011 and a standalone at Phoenix Park in 2007.

ATCQ have just had a number one album in the US and could easily sell out a 9,000 capacity venue.

Where have QOTSA headlined that's far bigger than EP? Bearing in mind that the Picnic's capacity is now 55,000 and is in the top twenty largest festivals on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    With the greatest of respect that's just nonsense. Duran's last two Dublin shows were selling out The Point in 2011 and a standalone at Phoenix Park in 2007.

ATCQ have just had a number one album in the US and could easily sell out a 9,000 capacity venue.

Where have QOTSA headlined that's far bigger than EP? Bearing in mind that the Picnic's capacity is now 55,000 and is the top twenty largest festivals on the planet.

They headlined Reading and Leeds festivals in 2014 I believe.

mutley18 wrote: »

Where have QOTSA headlined that's far bigger than EP? Bearing in mind that the Picnic's capacity is now 55,000 and is the top twenty largest festivals on the planet.

They headlined Reading and Leeds festivals in 2014 I believe.
    Co-headlined with Paramore. Never outright headlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

They were last on the main stage of Reading on the Friday night, this is headlining no?

They were last on the main stage of Reading on the Friday night, this is headlining no?

Not seen by FR to be big enough to headline so given a shared co-headlne slot with Paramore. But yeah, if they were headliners for Reading then Paramore were for Leeds. Where then are the other headlining slots for QOTSA at festivals far bigger than EP as he referred to them in the plural? All the ones I've seen bar Reading 2014 are at smaller festivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

"Headlining" means being the first act listed on the poster; e.g. Pete Tong came after ATCQ this year, but ATCQ were the headliner.

• Advertisement

Not seen by FR to be big enough to headline so given a shared co-headlne slot with Paramore. But yeah, if they were headliners for Reading then Paramore were for Leeds. Where then are the other headlining slots for QOTSA at festivals far bigger than EP as he referred to them in the plural? All the ones I've seen bar Reading 2014 are at smaller festivals.

I am not sure I was only saying they headlined Reading, I recall watching it on tv.

I am not sure I was only saying they headlined Reading, I recall watching it on tv.

Mutley, it was the other poster (Peter File) I was referring to who was saying they'd headlined several festivals bigger than EP. It's just not true. He was making a point about Duran Duran & ATCQ having no pulling power.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Synergism

On their last touring cycle QOTSA headlined a whole load of European festivals of equal size or bigger than EP; Rocke en Seine, Pukkelpop, Sziget, Open'er, Benicassim etc.

Expect to see them at the top of lineups when European fests are announcing for next summer. They'd be a great fit for EP, fingers crossed.

Mutley, it was the other poster (Peter File) I was referring to who was saying they'd headlined several festivals bigger than EP. It's just not true. He was making a point about Duran Duran & ATCQ having no pulling power.

My point was that qotsa are much more popular and contrary to what you wrote and continue to deny qotsa have headlined a large number of festivals worldwide.
    I understand the phoenix park concert by duran duran you mention was in a tent in the park in December 2007.
    There are other festivals out the Seathrun66, I would suggest you take off the EP fanboy/girl blinkers and experience the world of festivals beyond EP.

Synergism wrote: »

On their last touring cycle QOTSA headlined a whole load of European festivals of equal size or bigger than EP; Rocke en Seine, Pukkelpop, Sziget, Open'er, Benicassim etc.

Expect to see them at the top of lineups when European fests are announcing for next summer. They'd be a great fit for EP, fingers crossed.

Sziget - 90,000
    Rock En Seine - 30,000
    Pukklepop - 60,000
    Open'er - 60,000
    Benicassim - 30,000
    So one much bigger festival, two of comparable size and two half the size of EP. 
    And I'm not a fan of QOTSA but I agree they'd be a good for for EP and would check them out if they didn't clash with something I was very keen to see.

Mutley, it was the other poster (Peter File) I  was referring to who was saying they'd headlined several festivals bigger than EP. It's just not true. He was making a point about Duran Duran & ATCQ having no pulling power.

My point was that qotsa are much more popular and contrary to what you wrote and continue to deny qotsa have headlined a large number of festivals worldwide.
    I understand the phoenix park concert by duran duran you mention was in a tent in the park in December 2007.
    There are other festivals out the Seathrun66, I would suggest you take off the EP fanboy/girl blinkers and experience the world of festivals beyond EP.
    I agree with the original poster who said they weren't big enough to sell out an outdoor standalone gig of 30/40,000 capacity. They're popular alright but your point was that Duran Duran & ATCQ couldn't sell out the 3Arena which is patent nonsense. 
    Duran's last two Dublin gigs were selling out that very same venue in 2007 and Phoenix Park in 2011 (A marquee with a capacity of 10,000, thus greater than the 3 Arena).
    In terms of defensive ad hominen attacks this isn't the forum for it so wind your neck in please. I, like many of the posters here, go to several festivals every Summer, 2017 for me involving a couple in London & Pohoda in Slovakia. Reactionary comments aren't necessary.

I agree with the original poster who said they weren't big enough to sell out an outdoor standalone gig of 30/40,000 capacity. They're popular alright but your point was that Duran Duran & ATCQ couldn't sell out the 3Arena which is patent nonsense. 
    Duran's last two Dublin gigs were selling out that very same venue in 2007 and Phoenix Park in 2011 (A marquee with a capacity of 10,000, thus greater than the 3 Arena).
    In terms of defensive ad hominen attacks this isn't the forum for it so wind your neck in please. I, like many of the posters here, go to several festivals every Summer, 2017 for me involving a couple in London & Pohoda in Slovakia. Reactionary comments aren't necessary.

The capacity of the three arena is actually over 13,000

The capacity of the three arena is actually over 13,000
    Yes, you're right. The figure I saw (9,000) was obviously for an all-seated gig. Which would probably cause a riot if they tried to do that to QOTSA fans.

Yes, you're right. The figure I saw (9,000) was obviously for an all-seated gig. Which would probably cause a riot if they tried to do that to QOTSA fans.
    you could try asking them to sit down!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Synergism

Sziget - 90,000
    Rock En Seine - 30,000
    Pukklepop - 60,000
    Open'er - 60,000
    Benicassim - 30,000
    So one much bigger festival, two of comparable size and two half the size of EP. 
    And I'm not a fan of QOTSA but I agree they'd be a good for for EP and would check them out if they didn't clash with something I was very keen to see.

Lowlands (55,000), Montebello Rockfest (100,000), Frequency (120,000), Oya (60,000), Orange Warsaw (73,000), Rock in Roma (60,000), Volt (70,000), Hurricane (75,000), Southside (55,000).

The capacity of EP is 55,000 so 60,000 is a 9% increase, a big enough jump. I mentioned Rock en Seine and Benicassim because they attract similar sized headliners to EP.

I agree they haven't headlined a 'load' of festivals bigger than EP but they're more than big enough to do it. The problem I can see with them is EP's history of avoiding anything even slightly hard rock/metal.

IMO they've more pulling power than ATCQ (even as a big fan myself) and Duran Duran.

Advertisement