Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

ah now, XX are decent, but I'm not sure how their stuff which is pretty quiet would translate to a main stage.
    Anyone seen them live know what their shows are like?

Alt-j? Not a clue what they're like

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'm a big Kasabian fan but they really need to start balancing the vocals and the instrumentation a lot better than on the last 2 albums, lyrics have never been their strongest suit but leaving Tom to sing repetitive lyrics takes away from mostly great instrumentals. The subtlety of the lyrics with the music was great about their earlier stuff. Velociraptor was overproduced off the cliff and 48:13 was all over the place in terms of quality, the instrumental part in the middle of 'Treat' is better than half the songs on the album, except for 'Bow' which was superb but otherwise a letdown.

Would love to see Everything Everything in a Picnic atmoshere, would alone push me over the line to get a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

ah now, XX are decent, but I'm not sure how their stuff which is pretty quiet would translate to a main stage.

Caught The XX in the Electric Arena in 2009. Huge hype but I was massively underwhelmed. Also saw them at Primavera the following year and no better. They played the main stage at EP as sub-headliners to Sigur Ros in 2012, I skipped them but supposedly much improved. Am not a fan but reckon with three albums behind them by next September they'll be worth a look.
    Alt-J an acquired taste so they may not be your thing. However the one time I got to see them they were superb. A much-maligned band here but I think their two albums are excellent. And ideal for headlining the EA or subbing on the main.

Along the lines of a superior Glass Animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Coz

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Along the lines of a superior Glass Animals.
    I'd have described Glass Animals as Alt J who found their parents Bristol Trip Hop collection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Coz

Based on there their involvement with Hacendia Classical this year I wouldn't be surprised to see 808 State.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I like the XX now, never was into them much before but they have evolved into a tighter group musically. Their new song 'On Hold' is a nice throwback of a song actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Todd Terje

Corholio wrote: »
    I like the XX now, never was into them much before but they have evolved into a tighter group musically. Their new song 'On Hold' is a nice throwback of a song actually.

Can definitely hear Jamie's influence on this track with the sampling of Hall and Oates. They did a good interview and live performance on Annie Mac's BBC radio show last night.

Worth a listen if you are a fan. Interview starts 29 mins in.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b080hvsr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So anything happening for this, they need to give us something to talk about.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Snarky Snark Snark

They don't really, if there's nothing before christmas, then we know we've a wait till March to get the initial acts (unless some decide to self announce (rare))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Wouldn't hold your breathe for any type of announcement this side of Feb/March

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Paddy2012

Synode wrote: »
    Go way with your meh, Kasabian's eponymous album is absolutely class. Flawless live band too, though it's been a while since I've seen them (think Marley Park was the last one I was at)

Not sure I'd go quite as far as 'flawless', but they're absolutely brilliant live.

And 'West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum' is such a great album, too. Actually, so is 'Velociraptor'. Its just 'Empire' thats a bit meh, and even then it has great singles on it.

Do they have a new one coming out?

[also does anyone know why all their stuff except 'West Ryder' is on Spotify?]
    I love bands like Oasis and The Stone Roses but apart from the odd song (Fire, Bow, Days are Forgotten) Kasabian have never really done it for me (that Eez Eh song was brutal), also they seem to rely too much on backing tracks while playing live.

So anything happening for this, they need to give us something to talk about.
    Should be getting Coachella & Primavera news soon. That'll restart the speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Should be getting Coachella & Primavera news soon. That'll restart the speculation.

I don't expect any Primavera announcement until well into January

I don't expect any Primavera announcement until well into January
    Full announcement is usually near the end of January. But stuff drips through beforehand, eg in November 2014 we were aware that Ride were playing in 2015 through a series of posters billed around Barcelona. And that was a few days after they'd announced The Strokes.

But I'm hopeful more than expectant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Jeaaazzzz! EP just asked "what act would you like to see at EP17" on their FB and the replies are woeful to say the least. I didn't think I was that out of touch with the general population or that they were that out of touch with the EP.
    "Walking on Cars...Scatman john....nDubz....the script.... kings of Leon"

Snarky Snark Snark

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Scatman john

but..... he is dead....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Jeaaazzzz! EP just asked "what act would you like to see at EP17" on their FB and the replies are woeful to say the least. I didn't think I was that out of touch with the general population or that they were that out of touch with the EP.

They need to resuscitate Oxegen fast. :eek:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Walking on Cars..jaysus, they sound like a knock-off of The Coronas. Along with Kodaline and The Script, Irish bland bands.

Scatman John? Do people not know he's dead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

In people's rush to be indie music snobs, did it not occur to anyone that it was a joke?

• Advertisement

In people's rush to be indie music snobs, did it not occur to anyone that it was a joke?

That what was a joke? People commenting on EP's Facebook page listing bands they want to see?

Just had a look at the EP Facebook page. To be fair most of the acts mentioned are ones we've speculated about here, and a few new realistic ones. Though I can't see The Jam reforming!

That what was a joke? People commenting on EP's Facebook page listing bands they want to see?

Well, yeah.

Take a breath. Now, do you think that anyone is really hoping to see Scatman John at EP, or ndubz?

In fairness, Scatman John rising from the grave and doing a set at the Electric Ireland tent is about as realistic as some of the stuff you read on these threads.

Kings of Leon doing a Madrid fest in July. Please let their European tour be over by late-August. Same goes for the Foos & Green Day who are joining them there. Apologies to the posters who admire those bands, I'd just rather the huge fees were spent elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

The XX just announced an European tour for Feb-March, no Irish date so far.

Well, yeah.

Take a breath. Now, do you think that anyone is really hoping to see Scatman John at EP, or ndubz?

In fairness, Scatman John rising from the grave and doing a set at the Electric Ireland tent is about as realistic as some of the stuff you read on these threads.

Ah, take a breath. Cheers for that condescending post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Scatman john
    but..... he is dead....

R.I.Peeee ba-bop-ba-dop-bop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Now, do you think that anyone is really hoping to see Scatman John at EP, or ndubz?

I doubt anyone was hoping to see the various novelty acts that have played over the past few years, but that doesn't prevent the tent being absolutely rammed each time.

I think this is EP's (cheaper, smaller and tongue-in-cheek) version of the Sunday afternoon slot at Glastonbury. It's just a bit of fun. I hope they continue to book absolutely ridiculous dance acts.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I doubt anyone was hoping to see the various novelty acts that have played over the past few years, but that doesn't prevent the tent being absolutely rammed each time.

I think this is EP's (cheaper, smaller and tongue-in-cheek) version of the Sunday afternoon slot at Glastonbury. It's just a bit of fun. I hope they continue to book absolutely ridiculous dance acts.

I love the EI tent. I happened past Dr Alban this year as he was launching into "It's My Life", followed by "Sing Halleluia" and the place was going absolutely mental. (Begs the question what else he had played up to that point, but anyway...)

It's good that not everyone takes the EP as seriously as a few people on boards.ie

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

They could do with making the area a little larger tbh, absolutely jammed to the gills every year.

Advertisement