Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Great shout out for Royskopp. Also Childish Gambino in the right slot!

I'd love to see Nick Cave for sure also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

If the NME are right about the Stone Roses playing Reading/Leeds then I'd wager they're Stradbally-bound, as many posters have already predicted here.  Here's hoping they're alongside Radiohead or Arcade Fire rather than blocking them.

Isn't it also about time the Buzzcocks played?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Saw the buzzcocks at Glastonbury. They were relentless and brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    If the NME are right about the Stone Roses playing Reading/Leeds then I'd wager they're Stradbally-bound, as many posters have already predicted here.  Here's hoping they're alongside Radiohead or Arcade Fire rather than blocking them.
    that seemed to be based on lemon posters in Leeds and some fakes ones from Manchester a year or 2 ago which people were saying were appearing in Reading.

they announced 2 dates at Leeds Arena last night, so NME have very likely got it wrong.

that seemed to be based on lemon posters in Leeds and some fakes ones from Manchester a year or 2 ago which people were saying were appearing in Reading.

they announced 2 dates at Leeds Arena last night, so NME have very likely got it wrong.
    I suspect you're right. Lemon posters link into the Leeds Arena gigs. Muse headlining Reading/Leeds, efestivals.co.uk seem to think that Kasabian are the second headliner so it's hard to see someone as similar to both as the Roses taking the third slot. To be honest I'd rather an EP with none of the above.

Much more preferable would be Eminem, the other rumoured headliner for Reading, Maybe he's not so stellar as a decade ago but I can't see us getting him. But we've had Nas, Wu Tang & Outkast (who headline Coachella) so can I dare to hope?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

roll wrote: »
    Steve Mason's played before, 2010 i think. I'd take him back next year though, really enjoyed the last 2 albums.

All 3 'solo' albums have been very strong. That 2010 EP appearance took me totally by surprise-can't remember if there was much of a crowd but the gig was fantastic (Boys Outside was a great album to be fair)
    I was at the Steve Mason wing ding. Truthfully, I had no idea who he was (philistine!!) but a quick Google sorted that out. It was a really good gig. Have bought the last 2 albums & I think I either downloaded or bought hard copy of the remix album. 
    I like his style. He seems to be a bit of a 'hard luck' sort of dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Imagine the crowd eminem would attract! No thanks. He's **** live these days anyway and hasn't released anything good in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

There are so many acts touring next summer that could possibly headline, it's hard to guess who will turn up at EP.

The XX
    Gorillaz
    Stone Roses
    Muse
    Arcade Fire
    Nick Cave
    Foals
    The Weekend
    Radiohead (unlikely)
    Bon Iver
    Frank Ocean
    Justice
    The Pixies

Probably plenty more that I am forgetting but that is a big list of possibilities, we'll probably end up with 1 or 2 of them and then another few that I haven't mentioned. The Gorillaz are the stand out on that list for me, as Radiohead won't play the 3arena + EP, and I will get to see Arcade Fire and the XX at Primavera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Fingers crossed for Eminem. It'd be great knowing exactly where all the scum are for 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭glencurtis252

Seathrun66 wrote:
    Much more preferable would be Eminem, the other rumoured headliner for Reading, Maybe he's not so stellar as a decade ago but I can't see us getting him. But we've had Nas, Wu Tang & Outkast (who headline Coachella) so can I dare to hope?

Definitely couldn't see that.. even though he's not everybody's cup of tea he is still a massive draw and too massive for stradbally in my opinion

• Advertisement

I can't understand why anyone would be worried about Eminem attracting a bad crowd. EP will be sold out before we know who's playing.
    And as I said, he's unlikely to play EP but they can afford him and he is in the area. There aren't many acts who are out of bounds to a 55,000 festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

There are so many acts touring next summer that could possibly headline, it's hard to guess who will turn up at EP.

The XX
    Gorillaz
    Stone Roses
    Muse
    Arcade Fire
    Nick Cave
    Foals
    The Weekend
    Radiohead (unlikely)
    Bon Iver
    Frank Ocean
    Justice
    The Pixies

Probably plenty more that I am forgetting but that is a big list of possibilities, we'll probably end up with 1 or 2 of them and then another few that I haven't mentioned. The Gorillaz are the stand out on that list for me, as Radiohead won't play the 3arena + EP, and I will get to see Arcade Fire and the XX at Primavera.
    The Gorrillaz and Nick Cave would be ace.
    I doubt NC will be there though. I think there was a statement about not playing festivals or some such?
    I'd prefer to see Bon Iver on there own tbh
    It'd be great, but i doubt Radiohead will be back after their gig in the point.
    AF are a possibility and are really good live.
    I'd like Pixies too, but you'd want to catch them on a good day or they'll pull the plug before the big hitters (they did this supporting AF a few years ago). Their last few albums are right up my street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I can't understand why anyone would be worried about Eminem attracting a bad crowd. EP will be sold out before we know who's playing.
    And as I said, he's unlikely to play EP but they can afford him and he is in the area. There aren't many acts who are out of bounds to a 55,000 festival.

Don't think it will sell out until after the first announcement at the earliest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Synode wrote: »
    Don't think it will sell out until after the first announcement at the earliest

It sold out 9 days after the first announcement this year. It'll be even faster next year!
    Over half the tickets for next year's are sold already.

It sold out 9 days after the first announcement this year. It'll be even faster next year!
    Over half the tickets for next year's are sold already.
    and that was said in October, probably more like 3/4ths after Xmas presents are bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

If the first announcement is any good and it happens after a payday, the tickets wont last the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

MadYaker wrote: »
    Imagine the crowd eminem would attract! No thanks. He's **** live these days anyway and hasn't released anything good in ages.

Even back in the day he was a let down live. He ran loads of his stuff together as medleys in Punchestown going way back and seemed like he'd rather be anywhere but on stage. A giant let down of a gig.

I doubt NC will be there though. I think there was a statement about not playing festivals or some such?
    I'd like Pixies too, but you'd want to catch them on a good day or they'll pull the plug before the big hitters (they did this supporting AF a few years ago). Their last few albums are right up my street.

Yeah I don't think Radiohead will be back in Ireland with the gig they have in June, and you're right the organiser of Primavera said Nick Cave will not be touring festivals this year. A solo gig would prob work better for Bon Iver as I think he could be lost on a lot of the crowd at EP (not a big listener myself) and it would be quite mellow for a headliner.

There were rumours at various points that David Byrne, Fleetwood Mac and the Cure would all be touring in 2017, not going to hold my breathe that any will appear at EP but would absolutely love to see any of them announced.

I would be surprised if tickets sold out before a single act was announced, that is a rarity for any festival, but I agree that they will surely be gone within a few days of the line up coming out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 JiimWicklow

Few yokes with the boyyyzzz

Yeah I don't think Radiohead will be back in Ireland with the gig they have in June, and you're right the organiser of Primavera said Nick Cave will not be touring festivals this year. A solo gig would prob work better for Bon Iver as I think he could be lost on a lot of the crowd at EP (not a big listener myself) and it would be quite mellow for a headliner.

There were rumours at various points that David Byrne, Fleetwood Mac and the Cure would all be touring in 2017, not going to hold my breathe that any will appear at EP but would absolutely love to see any of them announced.

I would be surprised if tickets sold out before a single act was announced, that is a rarity for any festival, but I agree that they will surely be gone within a few days of the line up coming out.
    Selling out earlier and earlier each year. Loyalty tickets went quicker than ever. Early birds all gone. Xmas sales will be pretty high I'd expect and many buyers will be wary of losing out by waiting for the day of the announcement. Mostly conjecture of course but EP has reliably good lineups and people are happy to buy blindly. I'd wager that the tickets will be gone before the first big announcement.

• Advertisement

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but interesting article on how Irish festivals are taking away from a lot of acts doing solo gigs in Ireland over the year.

The author may have a point, definitely feels as if there are not many gigs for the acts that are "too big for Vicar St but not big enough for the 3Arena" as they put it. I would think this is possibly down to the lack of a suitable sized venue than festivals taking them exclusively though? As someone who doesn't live in Dublin it suits me a lot better to go to festivals rather than travel up to Dublin regularly, but I do realise it isn't the same experience as going to a solo gig of course.

The speed of which concerts seem to be selling out this year (Radiohead, Kraftwerk etc.) would make me think there is an appetite there for more shows. Do many people go to festivals just to see one or two acts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The speed of which concerts seem to be selling out this year (Radiohead, Kraftwerk etc.) would make me think there is an appetite there for more shows. Do many people go to festivals just to see one or two acts?

Gutted I can't make that Kraftwerk show. They were class at Longitude a few years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but interesting article on how Irish festivals are taking away from a lot of acts doing solo gigs in Ireland over the year.

The author may have a point, definitely feels as if there are not many gigs for the acts that are "too big for Vicar St but not big enough for the 3Arena" as they put it. I would think this is possibly down to the lack of a suitable sized venue than festivals taking them exclusively though? As someone who doesn't live in Dublin it suits me a lot better to go to festivals rather than travel up to Dublin regularly, but I do realise it isn't the same experience as going to a solo gig of course.

There's some interesting points, but also some ****e in that article.

Firstly, logistics are a problem - musicians have told me so. Ireland is one step extra on a congested tour, sometimes it's just a case of weighing up the options - an extra few days for what could be quite a small earner, or just scrap it.

While Dublin does have that venue issue - Vicar Street - GAP - 3 Arena - outdoor shows, that may not be why Bon Iver, the xx or others left it out. For one, those two sold out the 3 Arena (O2) when they last played and have just gotten bigger since. That's not a venue issue, it's more likely a cost issue.

I reckon that's what it boils down to for a lot of acts - Ireland is a small market. Even a big gig (say 3 Arena) in Ireland may be less lucrative than an extra night somewhere else. A high-up slot at an Irish festival may return more cash than a standalone show at the 3Arena, and there's also the exclusivity clauses that the likes of Festival Republic write into contracts that can prohibit shows.

No doubt, a lot of bands see the festival circuit as the easy way to tick the boxes - crossing several countries off while not invoking any risk factor of not selling your own show, your own costs, etc.

Also, that James Blake section was nonsense - Blake himself asked the crowd to stop talking at the Olympia show. It wasn't this ethereal, perfect show by any stretch - and I'm a huge fan of his. His EP show a few years back was much better, for e.g.

Festivals (especially if all booked through one promoter) can be much more cost effective than a series of smaller dates, for e.g. Adding a 7,500 seater venue in Dublin, for e.g., won't change it I don't think.
    Selling out earlier and earlier each year. Loyalty tickets went quicker than ever. Early birds all gone. Xmas sales will be pretty high I'd expect and many buyers will be wary of losing out by waiting for the day of the announcement. Mostly conjecture of course but EP has reliably good lineups and people are happy to buy blindly. I'd wager that the tickets will be gone before the first big announcement.

My bet, sold out the day of or the day after the announcement.

I reckon there's still a clutch of people holding off, just in case, and they'll pounce once all is revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

There's some interesting points, but also some ****e in that article.

Firstly, logistics are a problem - musicians have told me so. Ireland is one step extra on a congested tour, sometimes it's just a case of weighing up the options - an extra few days for what could be quite a small earner, or just scrap it.

While Dublin does have that venue issue - Vicar Street - GAP - 3 Arena - outdoor shows, that may not be why Bon Iver, the xx or others left it out. For one, those two sold out the 3 Arena (O2) when they last played and have just gotten bigger since. That's not a venue issue, it's more likely a cost issue.

I reckon that's what it boils down to for a lot of acts - Ireland is a small market. Even a big gig (say 3 Arena) in Ireland may be less lucrative than an extra night somewhere else. A high-up slot at an Irish festival may return more cash than a standalone show at the 3Arena, and there's also the exclusivity clauses that the likes of Festival Republic write into contracts that can prohibit shows.

No doubt, a lot of bands see the festival circuit as the easy way to tick the boxes - crossing several countries off while not invoking any risk factor of not selling your own show, your own costs, etc.

Also, that James Blake section was nonsense - Blake himself asked the crowd to stop talking at the Olympia show. It wasn't this ethereal, perfect show by any stretch - and I'm a huge fan of his. His EP show a few years back was much better, for e.g.

Festivals (especially if all booked through one promoter) can be much more cost effective than a series of smaller dates, for e.g. Adding a 7,500 seater venue in Dublin, for e.g., won't change it I don't think.

My bet, sold out the day of or the day after the announcement.

I reckon there's still a clutch of people holding off, just in case, and they'll pounce once all is revealed.

Yeah agree with this, its the same nationwide, there just isn't enough big venues to attract the acts in most of the cities. Galway is screaming for a regular large size venue and its usually only when the big top makes the appearance around the Arts Festival that they would get some considerable sized acts, the same with Cork and the Marquee venue, why not permanent structures with these capacities. I mean Castlebar has a bigger concert hall than Galway which is nuts.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Yeah agree with this, its the same nationwide, there just isn't enough big venues to attract the acts in most of the cities. Galway is screaming for a regular large size venue and its usually only when the big top makes the appearance around the Arts Festival that they would get some considerable sized acts, the same with Cork and the Marquee venue, why not permanent structures with these capacities. I mean Castlebar has a bigger concert hall than Galway which is nuts.

Really is baffling no-one with gumption & cash has attempted to put their weight behind this in a city renowned for it's bohemian tendencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Heard that You Me At Six have been booked to play this with their new album out in January. Can't say that I'm a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Anyone else pay their final instalment in the last few days?

I got the €205 early bird instalments
    So first amount in October was €69 plus service charge
    2nd was €68 in November
    And paid final amount today which was meant to be €68 but got charged €77?
    I know it's only €9 but ticketmaster charge us enough as it is, just wondering did anyone else get charged the same? Maybe it was a late fee cos I didn't pay the final instalment until today?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Anyone else pay their final instalment in the last few days?

I got the €205 early bird instalments
    So first amount in October was €69 plus service charge
    2nd was €68 in November
    And paid final amount today which was meant to be €68 but got charged €77?
    I know it's only €9 but ticketmaster charge us enough as it is, just wondering did anyone else get charged the same? Maybe it was a late fee cos I didn't pay the final instalment until today?

The price of €205 didn't include ticketmaster's extortion "service charge"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Bazzo wrote: »
    The price of €205 didn't include ticketmaster's extortion "service charge"

Yea I know I should have paid €211.10 but ended up paying €220.10 in total. Can't figure where the €9 has been added

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Justice would be ideal for the friday night, get on it!

doing a live set in Brixton on 29th September so will presumably be touring around then too.

Advertisement