Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The more i think about it i can def see Major Lazer being the "big" dance act this year since they seem to be getting a few high billings at festivals this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

The more i think about it i can def see Major Lazer being the "big" dance act this year since they seem to be getting a few high billings at festivals this year

Let's hope EP don't follow suit.
    The Fri night dance slot is one of my favourite parts of the weekend, they had better not ruin it with Major Lazer :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

they've already headlined Longitude, so wouldn't be at all surprised. i'm sure a large amount of the EP audience these days would be delighted with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭glencurtis252

I have a hunch it's gonna be calvin Harris don't no why!!

When is the first main announcement generally March isn't it??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I have a recurve bow and set of fully re-vaned arrows in case it is Calvin Harris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

When is the first main announcement generally March isn't it??

a very very unlikely to play act to have a "hunch" about lol

Mumford and sons seem to be around and would fit?
    the prodigy too, they seem more like something they would have on that friday night slot.

Snarky Snark Snark

showpony1 wrote: »
    Mumford and sons seem to be around and would fit?
    the prodigy too, they seem more like something they would have on that friday night slot.

I have a lot of arrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Let's hope EP don't follow suit.
    The Fri night dance slot is one of my favourite parts of the weekend, they had better not ruin it with Major Lazer :(.

I agree 100%. The big dance act is usually one of the acts I look forward to most, Underworld, Chemical Brothers and Disclosure have been some of the highlights of the past few years (we didn't really get one in 2014). There aren't that many acts who could play that slot realistically (compared to who can headline the other slots).. If we rule out the ones I've already mentioned, there aren't many other contenders - Kraftwerk, Orbital, Leftfield, Faithless, The Prodigy, Chase & Status, Groove Armada, Basement Jaxx, Justice, Major Lazer? Probably forgot a few. Kraftwerk are unlikely as they are playing Dublin already, Groove Armada & Basement Jaxx I'm unsure if they even play live anymore, I personally wouldn't like Chase & Status or Major Lazer at all. Doesn't leave me with many good options really :pac: Justice or Faithless would be who I'd be hoping for. Caribou aren't necessarily dance music but I think they could do a good job of that slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Aphex could do the Friday slot if he done all the hits or MTV classics, but you know he won't and if he does play I hope he is hidden in the Electric Arena as the counterpart to the main stage act. Anyways my facebook campaign is now at 965 so its growing a wee bit. Whats the capacity for the Electric Arena marquee?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Whats the capacity for the Electric Arena marquee?

It's got to be 3-4K ish I would have thought? (Maybe more?)

It's got to be 3-4K ish I would have thought? (Maybe more?)

The original blue one used up to about 2013 or 2014 used to hold 10,000, so maybe about half of that or possibly 6,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

Frank Ocean Saturday night EA headliner would be magic

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Not liking any of the rumoured acts for EP. Will wait and see and then sell my tickets (at face value!) if it's crap.

I've been disapointed with the last 2 years. 2013 was great though.

Snarky Snark Snark

Is there any one actually rumoured though yet? All we have here so far are peoples wish lists.

Until the other summer festivals are properly firmed up then we dont really know who'll be knocking round Europe at the end of the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Prodigy will be touring. I'd like to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Is there any one actually rumoured though yet? All we have here so far are peoples wish lists.

Until the other summer festivals are properly firmed up then we dont really know who'll be knocking round Europe at the end of the summer

There's enough regular posters here that we could get some rumours going.

"I saw Calvin Harris camping down Stradbally last week. Told me he was testing out the ground for his Muse duet next summer."

Everyone go tweet that and we see what happens...

--

In reality, though, we know who is knocking around Europe earlier in the summer. It's likely a few of those - say Arcade Fire, the xx, Bon Iver - will still be around at the end of the summer, especially those who may have skipped Ireland on recent tours.

But others, such as Frank Ocean, are probably more likely for Longitude, for e.g., based on their current touring timeframes.

It's hard to say beyond a "I reckon x, y and z could be good bets" at this stage.

What festivals does EP have a decent crossover with?

Snarky Snark Snark

erm, not a whole lot from what I can see over the past few years, you'd think that the festival republics other gigs would be an indicator but lollapalooza barely had any this year. We do seems to get treated to the bigger but not headliner acts from Glastonbury (LCD/New order this year, flo Jo last year (though she got bumped to headliner due to Foo Dave's Achey Breaky Leg))

Think it's more about looking at who's still in yurp at that time of year and giggin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There'd be a fair bit of crossover between picnic headliners and the acts that play last on the other stage at Glasto. Based off that I think we've already mentioned a few of the potentials. Prodigy, Bon Iver, The Xx. Also Nine Inch Nails are supposed to be touring I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

The Prodigy would be a massive nostalgia buzz and could be amazing. Surely most of the youngsters won't have a clue who they are either and their original fans are aul ones like me now, so should be a fun non-mahem-inviting experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

sadie06 wrote: »
    The Prodigy would be a massive nostalgia buzz and could be amazing. Surely most of the youngsters won't have a clue who they are either and their original fans are aul ones like me now, so should be a fun non-mahem-inviting experience.

Prodigy for the Electric Ireland Throwback Party :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Synode wrote: »
    sadie06 wrote: »
    The Prodigy would be a massive nostalgia buzz and could be amazing.  Surely most of the youngsters won't have a clue who they are either and their original fans are aul ones like me now, so should be a fun non-mahem-inviting  experience.

Prodigy for the Electric Ireland Throwback Party :pac:

They'll have to fight Aphex for that. Swans as warm-up.

erm,  not a whole lot from what I can see over the past few years, you'd think that the festival republics other gigs would be an indicator but lollapalooza barely had any this year.  We do seems to get treated to the bigger but not headliner acts from Glastonbury (LCD/New order this year,  flo Jo last year (though she got bumped to headliner due to Foo Dave's Achey Breaky Leg))

Think it's more about looking at who's still in yurp at that time of year and giggin.
    We usually get one of the headliners from Coachella (LCD, Outkast, Blur, Arcade Fire, Chemical Brothers in past five years) and a fair sprinkling of acts from there. If the rumours are true on this year's main acts (Radiohead, Beyonce & Kendrick Lamar) then I'd say the Oxford boys are most likely for Stradbally.
    Ever the optimist.

Snarky Snark Snark

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    If the rumours are true on this year's main acts (Radiohead, Beyonce & Kendrick Lamar) then I'd say the Oxford boys are most likely for Stradbally.
    Ever the optimist.

oh god, are we back on the R-Word train again?

Bouncy Bouncy I'd be shocked at, just on a cost basis.

Know nathin about Kendrick Lemur.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    If the rumours are true on this year's main acts (Radiohead, Beyonce & Kendrick Lamar) then I'd say the Oxford boys are most likely for Stradbally.
    Ever the optimist.

oh god, are we back on the R-Word train again?

Bouncy Bouncy I'd be shocked at, just on a cost basis.

Know nathin about Kendrick Lemur.
    Apologies. Thought they were likely this year, and reckon so again in 2017. EP have the money, they're doing fests and I'm hoping it's not just early Summer stuff.
    Lamar is a bit special, brought out what I reckon was the album of 2015. Not sure whether he cuts it live but he has the tunes. Anyone catch him at Longitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah, it was alright. butchers a few tracks with the band trying to make them into big dramatic things rather than just doing them straight.
    saw him with just a DJ in Vicar Street after GKMC came out and it was much better.

Sziget festival is apparently making their first announcement on Thursday so it should be interesting to see what is floating around in August, a bit nearer to Picnic time.

any chance of the foo fighters or too big/unsuitable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

showpony1 wrote: »
    any chance of the foo fighters or too big/unsuitable?

I can't imagine them as they're too 'hard rock' for EP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The Weekend announced for Openair festival in Poland

Advertisement