Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

The Weekend announced for Openair festival in Poland

I wouldn't be too put out it if he was the commercial poppy type act we end up getting considering some of the alternatives. New tune sounds very similar to some of Michael Jackson's 80's output ----> not exactly a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

Pink11 wrote: »
    Not liking any of the rumoured acts for EP. Will wait and see and then sell my tickets (at face value!) if it's crap.

I've been disapointed with the last 2 years. 2013 was great though.

For me, last year was arguably the worst line up but arguably the best EP I've had out of the ten or so I've been to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

roll wrote: »
    For me, last year was arguably the worst line up but arguably the best EP I've had out of the ten or so I've been to!

same wasnt a fan of any of the headliners but did my research and had great craic at acts then like Mura Masa as i much prefer the being in the tents than main stage at EP. Then the things you don't think about when you read the line-up like mother DJs sunday night, Attention Bebe at 2am in the trailor park sat night made the weekend.

The Weekend announced for Openair festival in Poland

id be surprised if he doesnt headline longitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Sigur Rós announced their US tour for 2017, finishes up mid June, likely to be in with a shout?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

sadie06 wrote: »
    The Prodigy would be a massive nostalgia buzz and could be amazing. Surely most of the youngsters won't have a clue who they are either and their original fans are aul ones like me now, so should be a fun non-mahem-inviting experience.

You'd be surprised. Their original fans are, by definition, aul ones, at least when compared to the legions of 20 year olds at EP. However The Prodigy's (at times misleading) reputation as a dance act precedes them and they'll always get a good crowd of people looking for that type of experience. I'd expect them to get a similar size crowd (perhaps slightly smaller) to The Chemical Brothers and for much the same reason. Then again it could be bigger. I've seen them a fair few times over the years and they've always been a big draw.

Their gigs are always bittersweet affairs for me. I'm a fan from way back and their new albums just depress me. That sounds like typical 'back in the day' talk but I just feel that they were capable of so much more.

In my mind the only album that comes close to Radiohead's stylistic transformation from The Bends into OK Computer was The Prodigy's from Music for the Jilted Generation into The Fat of the Land (both 1997). Radiohead are my favourite band so I don't make that comparison lightly. The Fat... is not a perfect album (OK Computer is ;)) but it's more than just the three singles it released. It's full of ideas and different sounds and textures. Just listen to how different 'Smack My Bitch Up', 'Minefields' and 'Narayan' are from each other and yet they all feel part of the same album.

Liam made a huge decision in dispensing with Keith and Maxim for their fourth album, Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned, and it wasn't a success. However he at least laid his influences bare, as he did on The Ditchamber Sessions mixtape, and what we seen was a producer with a very broad taste in music, one that completely dwarfs the producer he's become today, drawing as he does from the most superficial of contemporary electronic music.

The sound they created in 1997, which practically died with the 'Baby's Got a Temper' single (not all bad, but singing about rohypnol is not a good look) is what I'd like to see again. But never will.

The lonely cry of a sad, 30-something music fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Pickpocket wrote: »
    You'd be surprised. Their original fans are, by definition, aul ones, at least when compared to the legions of 20 year olds at EP. However The Prodigy's (at times misleading) reputation as a dance act precedes them and they'll always get a good crowd of people looking for that type of experience. I'd expect them to get a similar size crowd (perhaps slightly smaller) to The Chemical Brothers and for much the same reason. Then again it could be bigger. I've seen them a fair few times over the years and they've always been a big draw.

Their gigs are always bittersweet affairs for me. I'm a fan from way back and their new albums just depress me. That sounds like typical 'back in the day' talk but I just feel that they were capable of so much more.

In my mind the only album that comes close to Radiohead's stylistic transformation from The Bends into OK Computer was The Prodigy's from Music for the Jilted Generation into The Fat of the Land (both 1997). Radiohead are my favourite band so I don't make that comparison lightly. The Fat... is not a perfect album (OK Computer is ;)) but it's more than just the three singles it released. It's full of ideas and different sounds and textures. Just listen to how different 'Smack My Bitch Up', 'Minefields' and 'Narayan' are from each other and yet they all feel part of the same album.

Liam made a huge decision in dispensing with Keith and Maxim for their fourth album, Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned, and it wasn't a success. However he at least laid his influences bare, as he did on The Ditchamber Sessions mixtape, and what we seen was a producer with a very broad taste in music, one that completely dwarfs the producer he's become today, drawing as he does from the most superficial of contemporary electronic music.

The sound they created in 1997, which practically died with the 'Baby's Got a Temper' single (not all bad, but singing about rohypnol is not a good look) is what I'd like to see again. But never will.

The lonely cry of a sad, 30-something music fan.

Bah... kids these days! .. Experience was the best Prodigy album ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Sigur Rós announced their US tour for 2017, finishes up mid June, likely to be in with a shout?

I wonder could they command the main stage now since they stripped back on the live orchestra setup? I would love to see them again but having seen them back in 2008 with the epic orchestral performance I'd have high expectations.
    Anyone see them at EP in 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I wonder could they command the main stage now since they stripped back on the live orchestra setup? I would love to see them again but having seen them back in 2008 with the epic orchestral performance I'd have high expectations.
    Anyone see them at EP in 2012?
    I reckon you're right. Loved their sets at EP in 2008 & 2012 but felt they were flat at Field Day this Summer. Would love to see them headline the Electric Arena but they probably remain too big for that. Suede, Air and The Avalanches would be other goodies for such a slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Experience was the best Prodigy album ;)

Yeah I don't think Fat... was the best, it just stands out because of how they evolved as a band.

I'm undecided between the first two albums. I love them both although the drums in 'Their Law' might tip it in favour of Jilted.

• Advertisement

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Yeah I don't think Fat... was the best, it just stands out because of how they evolved as a band.

I'm undecided between the first two albums. I love them both although the drums in 'Their Law' might tip it in favour of Jilted.

Both great albums no doubt about it. Have been listening to these for the afternoon since you mentioned Prodigy. To be honest Jilted is probably the better album of the two technically, but I just get all nostalgic over Experience. It's like your first child, you're not supposed to prefer it to the better behaved second child, but you just do.

I only ever saw them once and that was around the time of Experience. Was good craic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

RUN DMC just announced to co headline IOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

RUN DMC just announced to co headline IOW

Arcade Fire, Bastille, George Ezra, David Guetta, Run DMC and Rod Stewart.

Bloody hell.

That is dreadful.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Arcade Fire, Bastille, George Ezra, David Guetta, Run DMC and Rod Stewart.

Bloody hell.

That is dreadful.

Yea not looking like its gonna be a good IOW festival.

I can see Mumford and Sons being one of the headliners this year since they didnt do any big summer gig last year and have also been announced for Lowlands.

Lowlands Paradise 2017
    Mumford and Sons | The xx | Editors | alt-J | Elbow | Flume | Iggy Pop | Moderat | Ben Klock | Cashmere Cat | Dixon | Mac DeMarco | mura masa | Noord Nederlands Orkest | Nothing But Thieves | Ty Segall | Tove Lo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I can see Mumford and Sons being one of the headliners this year since they didnt do any big summer gig last year and have also been announced for Lowlands.

Lowlands Paradise 2017
    yeah could definitely M&S headlining, perfect mix of pop and "indie" for EP these days.
    The xx looking even more likely to headline now that they're definitely doing European festivals towards the end of summer.
    could imagine most of the others showing up at EP this year too.

e: some good names for Flow Festivla in Helsinki the week before too:
    "The wait is over! We are excited to reveal the first acts for Flow Festival 2017! Lana Del Rey, The xx, Aphex Twin, Flume, London Grammar, Vince Staples, Angel Olsen, Jenny Hval, Maceo Plex, Jon Hopkins, FEEL MY BICEP, ALMA, MC Taakibörsta, Femme En Fourrure and Kauriinmetsästäjät will perform in Suvilahti, Helsinki next August!"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

IOW are fúcked I reckon. They struggled to sell tickets last year and this year the headliners are Arcade Fire (fair enough) Rod Stewart and David Guetta :pac: what are they thinking?!? A lot of people in the UK seemed to think that this was a make or break year for that festival. Nails in the coffin I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

yeah could definitely M&S headlining, perfect mix of pop and "indie" for EP these days.
    The xx looking even more likely to headline now that they're definitely doing European festivals towards the end of summer.
    could imagine most of the others showing up at EP this year too.

e: some good names for Flow Festivla in Helsinki the week before too:

Nice to see Aphex is still touring around August, more hope for EP then.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Looks like it will actually be David Guetta we are getting as our main dance act this year, would be good in either the friday night slot or the late sat night main stage spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

If it's David Guetta and Mumford & Sons i think i might be done with the Picnic.

I've had a good 12 year run!

showpony1 wrote: »
    Looks like it will actually be David Guetta we are getting as our main dance act this year, would be good in either the friday night slot or the late sat night main stage spot.

:eek:

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Seriously, what are you basing that one on?

It would not be good in any slot except the Electric Ireland Thunderdome murder bowl tent in 2032
    (two djs enter, then both get shot to death with balls of their own sh1te)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

There should be a public execution for Mumford & Sons, seriously.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

There should be a public execution for Mumford & Sons, seriously.

if i had to back anyone to be the main headliner now it would be either them or arcade fire or both - do people think it won't actually be M&S?

Snarky Snark Snark

if i had to back anyone to be the main headliner now it would be either them or arcade fire or both - do people think it won't actually be M&S?

People can wish what they want but frankly, they don't have a f'ing clue as to who we will get in the announcement.

I could see M&S doing an outdoor in RHK tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Kiasmos are just announcing their first summer festivals of 2017 and will be releasing new music. Fingers crossed for EP!

Seriously, what are you basing that one on?

It would not be good in any slot except the Electric Ireland Thunderdome murder bowl tent in 2032
    (two djs enter, then both get shot to death with balls of their own sh1te)

How its shaping up so far imo;
    David Guetta Mumford & Sons Arcade Fire
    Iggy Pop Run DMC Major Lazer
    Flume Editors Mura Masa George Ezra The Coronas

Snarky Snark Snark

Editors played this year so they're out.
    Pop has a gig scheduled for mid summer in France but he did a lot of the European festivals this year so I'd be surprised if he goes on another festival bout (esp when he's reckoned to be retiring from the big tours).

But apart from that, what are you basing the Guetta on apart from wishful thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Pop has a gig scheduled for mid summer in France but he did a lot of the European festivals this year so I'd be surprised if he goes on another festival bout (esp when he's reckoned to be retiring from the big tours).

But apart from that, what are you basing the Guetta on apart from wishful thinking?

Trolling??

Not necessarily, could easily again Florence played 3Arena next day after EP.
    Iggy pop was announced for Lowlands Paradise 2017
    David Guetta was announced for Isle of White literally a few posts back.

have you not been even reading the thread before posting? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Not necessarily, could easily again Florence played 3Arena next day after EP.
    Iggy pop was announced for Lowlands Paradise 2017
    David Guetta was announced for Isle of White literally a few posts back.

have you not been even reading the thread before posting? :rolleyes:

Flo Jo played the thursday following EP, but that's fcuk all to do with playing EP two years in a row which you have the Editors on for.

Pop, i didn't see that one, i was going from his website.

IOW is two months before EP, they've Rod Stewart too, why not fetishize him for EP instead of Gutter?

You seriously have the rampant horn for David Goiter, i'd see a doctor if I was you.

Advertisement