Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Arcade Fire
    The Flaming Lips
    The XX
    Aphex Twin
    Chromatics
    Grizzly Bear
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Modest Mouse
    Spiritualized
    St. Vincent
    The KLF

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Only caught the first half-hour as went off to see The Shins. What I saw was great and he supposedly got better as it went on. He finished with The Masterplan, Wonderwall, AKA...What A Life! & Don't Look Back In Anger so I reckon you'd have been reasonably pleased.

God that sounds unreal!

Thanks everyone for replies! If he comes to Ireland again I'll definitely be attending!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

EIREDriver wrote: »
    God that sounds unreal!

Thanks everyone for replies! If he comes to Ireland again I'll definitely be attending!

New album on the way this year I think. Shouldn't be waiting too long!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Time to inject a little life into this thread as seemingly no Festival Republic disclosures until March. 
    I suggest anyone who has the inclination gives a list of ten acts (good or bad) they believe will be playing at EP in September. Not just acts you're hoping for but those whose tour schedules and suitability imply could be turning up.We can then have a look back the week before the fest and see how off target we all were. I'll start off:

Radiohead
    Aphex Twin
    Mumford & Sons (alas)
    Two Door Cinema Club (not my bag, but very likely)
    DJ Shadow
    Father John Misty
    Jagwar Ma
    Let's Eat Grandma
    Alt-J
    Moderat

We get most of those and I'll be happy. Any other predictions?

Have you not learned your lesson after last year? They're not playing EP. Last year was the year they did festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Have you not learned your lesson after last year? They're not playing EP. Last year was the year they did festivals.

Think the OP is referring to those bands that are on tour, so technically speaking, the OP is correct :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

I like that kind of music but id be shocked in Major Laser actually appeared on the line-up, a few seem to be predicting that.
    One i've seen on another festival somewhere I'd like to show up is Foster the People.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

showpony1 wrote: »
    I like that kind of music but id be shocked in Major Laser actually appeared on the line-up, a few seem to be predicting that.
    One i've seen on another festival somewhere I'd like to show up is Foster the People.
    They played back in 2011 (I think). It was early on the Friday, but the tent was rammed. It's still one of my favorite EP sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

so this year they're doing
    Cochella, Glastonbury, Best Kept Secret Festival, Rock Wechter....

no festivals this year, no siree what so ever...

I think we've a much better chance of seeing them there this year, they were negotiating for 2016 at one point and have done other FR gigs so there's a relationship there. I know they're in the point but there have been other acts who've done summer gigs and festivals too.
    Just depends on where they are playing last before EP time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

so this year they're doing
    Cochella, Glastonbury, Best Kept Secret Festival, Rock Wechter....

no festivals this year, no siree what so ever...

I think we've a much better chance of seeing them there this year, they were negotiating for 2016 at one point and have done other FR gigs so there's a relationship there. I know they're in the point but there have been other acts who've done summer gigs and festivals too.
    Just depends on where they are playing last before EP time.

Were they?

I'm not saying they won't crop up at EP (I'd be surprised because of their Dublin show - I just don't expect them to do more than 1 Irish show this year) but that's a line that has been trotted out over and over again on Boards and I've never actually seen context.

I've never seen it reported elsewhere that they were negotiating, everyone just seemed to assume and now it has become fact...

Snarky Snark Snark

Were they?

I'm not saying they won't crop up at EP (I'd be surprised because of their Dublin show - I just don't expect them to do more than 1 Irish show this year) but that's a line that has been trotted out over and over again on Boards and I've never actually seen context.

I've never seen it reported elsewhere that they were negotiating, everyone just seemed to assume and now it has become fact...

poster Effects had some details on it at the time and was bang on the money...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98935874&postcount=1901
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98936078&postcount=1907
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98936144&postcount=1911

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Think the OP is referring to those bands that are on tour, so technically speaking, the OP is correct :P

He said post bands that you think will play EP.

He said post bands that you think will play EP.

Pointing out the post that all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

none of those mention anything about them being in negotiations? :confused:

Time to inject a little life into this thread as seemingly no Festival Republic disclosures until March.
    I suggest anyone who has the inclination gives a list of ten acts (good or bad) they believe will be playing at EP in September. Not just acts you're hoping for but those whose tour schedules and suitability imply could be turning up.We can then have a look back the week before the fest and see how off target we all were. I'll start off:

Radiohead
    Aphex Twin
    Mumford & Sons (alas)
    DJ Shadow
    Father John Misty
    Jagwar Ma
    Let's Eat Grandma
    Alt-J
    Moderat

I suppose 2 further acts to add to the list, off the top of my head

Depeche Mode
    Prodigy

That would be pretty cool to seem at the Picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Of the bands listed so far, i'd like to see
    Radiohead (no chance imo)
    Arcade Fire (always great)
    Alt-J (good live)
    Warpaint (never seen them, love their albums)
    Metronomy (good at EP a few years ago)
    Modest Mouse (only caught the tail end of their last EP gig)
    St. Vincent (foolishly left halfway through the SV/DB gig to go see Franz Ferdinand!!)
    Depeche Mode (never seen them, unlikely they'll play?)

Royal Blood are also touring as well this year, albeit, a solitary festival performance in the states in June. Could be an interesting addition , if selected. Although the rumour mill, is saying that they could be on the bill at Slane......

Snarky Snark Snark

none of those mention anything about them being in negotiations? :confused:

if they tried to get them and R-Word said no, then that's a negotiation.

Not a positive one, but it is one. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

if they tried to get them and R-Word said no, then that's a negotiation.

Not a positive one, but it is one. :p
    it doesn't say that they tried getting them though, just that they wouldn't be doing it for valid reasons. Benn has his finger in many pies, so it might have been nothing to do with EP specifically and had to do with them not wanting to play any festivals/european dates in Aug/Sept outside Lolla Berlin? or maybe their booking agents specifically had them unavailable for that weekend due to some personal commitments or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

There was definitely something posted in the 2016 thread about them being in advanced negotiations with Radiohead but FR pulled the plug when the festival sold out. It was obviously unverifiable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Radiohead
    Aphex Twin
    Mumford & Sons (alas)
    DJ Shadow
    Father John Misty
    Jagwar Ma
    Let's Eat Grandma
    Alt-J
    Moderat

Eight festivals and counting next Summer.

• Advertisement

Arcade Fire
    The Flaming Lips
    The XX
    Aphex Twin
    Chromatics
    Grizzly Bear
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Modest Mouse
    Spiritualized
    St. Vincent
    The KLF
    Wow. First I'd heard of that.
    And all the others very likely too.

Synode wrote: »
    There was definitely something posted in the 2016 thread about them being in advanced negotiations with Radiohead but FR pulled the plug when the festival sold out. It was obviously unverifiable
    Yeah, I saw that too. The poster mentioned another couple of things that turned out to be true so there's a chance there was something to it. I'm hoping that if FR said they couldn't afford them in 2016 due to LCD cost and that Radiohead management then agreed to 2017. The same band are playing much smaller fests than EP this year so there's a fair chance they'll play EP if they're doing gigs in late Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Pukkelpop announcing in February should bring some ideas a lot closer to Picnic time.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Of the bands listed so far, i'd like to see
    Radiohead (no chance imo)
    Arcade Fire (always great)
    Alt-J (good live)
    Warpaint (never seen them, love their albums)
    Metronomy (good at EP a few years ago)
    Modest Mouse (only caught the tail end of their last EP gig)
    St. Vincent (foolishly left halfway through the SV/DB gig to go see Franz Ferdinand!!)
    Depeche Mode (never seen them, unlikely they'll play?)

Would love Depeche Mode but can't see it, think they'll do a standalone gig somewhere instead.

I hope Franz Ferdinand were worth it!(They weren't :D)

I thought Franz Ferdinand were brilliant on the main stage, they were on before The Arctic Monkeys (I'm a huge fan) and thought Franz Ferdinand put on a better live set,than The Arctic Monkeys, i think it was the sunday in 2013 they both played, memory very fuzzy!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I thought Franz Ferdinand were brilliant on the main stage, they were on before The Arctic Monkeys (I'm a huge fan) and thought Franz Ferdinand put on a better live set,than The Arctic Monkeys, i think it was the sunday in 2013 they both played, memory very fuzzy!!!

Yea it was Sunday the both played. Agreed FF def put on a better set imo although their set just flew by. Wasnt pushed on AM tho , felt a little flat imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah, I saw that too. The poster mentioned another couple of things that turned out to be true so there's a chance there was something to it. I'm hoping that if FR said they couldn't afford them in 2016 due to LCD cost and that Radiohead management then agreed to 2017. The same band are playing much smaller fests than EP this Summer so there's afair chance they'll play EP if they're doing gigs in late Summer.

Did Jim Carroll write an article after the EP line up saying something like there were a few big names absent that he was assured would be on the line up? He didn't mention Radiohead but a few on here were under the impression that's who he was talking about anyway. I would love to see them this year but I'd be very surprised if they play Dublin in June and then EP in September!
    showpony1 wrote: »

Why would you be shocked at Major Lazer? They're playing Reading/Leeds and Sziget in August so they are touring festivals close to the time, wouldn't be the first time EP and Longitude have exchanged acts either, and they are one of few candidates who could fill the main stage dance slot I think. Personally I cannot stand Major Lazer so I hope I am completely wrong, would much prefer Justice!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Did Jim Carroll write an article after the EP line up saying something like there were a few big names absent that he was assured would be on the line up? He didn't mention Radiohead but a few on here were under the impression that's who he was talking about anyway. I would love to see them this year but I'd be very surprised if they play Dublin in June and then EP in September!

Why would you be shocked at Major Lazer? They're playing Reading/Leeds and Sziget in August so they are touring festivals close to the time, wouldn't be the first time EP and Longitude have exchanged acts either, and they are one of few candidates who could fill the main stage dance slot I think. Personally I cannot stand Major Lazer so I hope I am completely wrong, would much prefer Justice!

Major Lazer played EP in 2009, so not unusual to book them again.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I love me a good Radiohead rumour, so it pains me to put a practical spin on all the talk of them playing EP.

I hope with all my heart it happens BUT with the recent death of Thom Yorke's long-term partner (they only separated in the last year also) it will be a miracle if they fulfil their existing bookings, but I'd be surprised if they take on more. He is now a single parent of two children that will be preparing to go back to school at around that time.

Sorry to put a dampener on this....I would rejoice if they were announced as I missed the boat completely on their standalone gig.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Speaking of Radiohead talk , When are QOTSA gonna be announced................

Advertisement