Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Any feedback on the Flaming Lips album? 

Lollapalooza Paris just announced for late July. Alt-J and Pixies again. Surely at least one of those for Stradbally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Any feedback on the Flaming Lips album? No chance to listen to all of it but the two tracks I heard didn't grab me.

I enjoyed it far more than their last few. Couple of great tracks on it - 'We A Famly' is cool, I think - but there's a few that are worth skipping right over.

I'll listen to it more than anything they've done since 'At War With the Mystics', but it's still not a patch on that, Yoshimi, the Soft Bulletin, etc as far as I'm concerned.

For me, last week's releases go:

1) Run the Jewels (I know, streaming since last year but physical release was Friday so I'm cheating!!)
    2) Bonobo
    3) The Flaming Lips
    4) The xx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Any feedback on the Flaming Lips album? No chance to listen to all of it but the two tracks I heard didn't grab me.

I enjoyed it far more than their last few. Couple of great tracks on it - 'We A Famly' is cool, I think - but there's a few that are worth skipping right over.

I'll listen to it more than anything they've done since 'At War With the Mystics', but it's still not a patch on that, Yoshimi, the Soft Bulletin, etc as far as I'm concerned.

For me, last week's releases go:

1) Run the Jewels (I know, streaming since last year but physical release was Friday so I'm cheating!!)
    2) Bonobo
    3) The Flaming Lips
    4) The xx

Agree regarding the two Lips' masterpieces, but I also loved The Terror from 2013. Third place in your list hasn't got me rushing to the shops.

Will check out the Run the Jewels newbie. Loved the second album but then caught them at Field Day in London and they were poor. But maybe it's me, I try to get into it but find that hip-hop very rarely works in an outdoor live setting. Exceptions are Public Enemy, and of course Nas at EP '16.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Does anyone know how strict they are on not allowing campers to park in the carpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Did anyone catch the first episode of this ain't no disco presented by Donal Dineen, some interesting artists on it, was well impressed with Philip Kelleher.

https://www.facebook.com/thisaintnodisco/?pnref=story

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Did anyone catch the first episode of this ain't no disco presented by Donal Dineen, some interesting artists on it, was well impressed with Philip Kelleher.

https://www.facebook.com/thisaintnodisco/?pnref=story

Gonna give it a spin now. Irish radio is shockingly bad at this time of the day

Edit: Enjoyed that. The rap from your man in All City Records was great

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Boardmasters has announced the first wave of acts for the returning festival in 2017 – with Alt-J, Jamiroquai and Two Door Cinema Club headlining.

Also on the line-up for the UK surf and music festival are Andy C, Jake Bugg, Slaves, Patrick Topping, Wild Beasts, Roger Sanchez, Becky Hill, Solardo, TQD, Theo Kottis, Tom Grennan, Cadenza and Youngr.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/music/alt-j-jamiroquai-two-door-cinema-club-boardmasters-1951016#MrZfIXaqldX5Lywq.99

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

+1. I've seen them twice and they are an exciting band to see live.
    As much as I like DJ sets it would be great to see a live electronic band like Pendulum on the Friday night.

They were the highlight of Glasto for me one year, amazing live show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Jimmy Somerville apparently playing this year, was talking to some Glaswegian friends who know him and he said he was playing a gig in early September in Ireland, he wasn't specific but I can imagine that its got to be the Picnic.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Jimmy Somerville apparently playing this year, was talking to some Glaswegian friends who know him and he said he was playing a gig in early September in Ireland, he wasn't specific but I can imagine that its got to be the Picnic.

I'd be happy with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

dmm82 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how strict they are on not allowing campers to park in the carpark?

You see plenty of people sleeping in vans in the car park, but I dont recall ever seeing a Campervan in the regular car park?

On the approach roads the Guards divert Campervans down a special route, I suppose you could just say you're passing through and not going to the EP, that would get you down the car route, then you're at the mercy of the Stewarts in the car park.

Given the lack of supply vs demand there must be a good reason why the car park isn't filled with campers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Hopefully not the electric Ireland stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

To me it's shaping up to be a headliner bunch of xx, Alt-j, two door cinema club and two from Arcade fire/Gorillaz/Major Lazer/slightly surprising other act.

I think it's too late in the year to get run the jewels, Frank ocean or the Weeknd that I thought would have also been potentials.

St Vincent, Haim and Angel Olsson decent shouts as high up on the lineup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

MattD wrote: »
    To me it's shaping up to be a headliner bunch of xx, Alt-j, two door cinema club and two from Arcade fire/Gorillaz/Major Lazer/slightly surprising other act.

That sounds like a Longitude line-up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

Synode wrote: »
    That sounds like a Longitude line-up

Well most of them have played EP before bar Gorillaz and alt-j...

I just can't see any 'typical EP' acts that are touring or releasing material that would be viable contenders. I assume you're talking more Flaming Lips? At the Drive In? Depeche Mode? Beck again? Possibly...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Major Lazer headlining? Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

16251635_1519588194748002_2636907262681036788_o.jpg?oh=678199838f4197b1ae7ae3ef9a6f4709&oe=591D5A71

Snarky Snark Snark

Now that's just not right, the Vengaboys played in 2015, no way they'd be back again so soon,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Hope Mcgregor and Metallica don't clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭MS291988

woudl love to see the Naked and Famous at EP they are super live!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Gerry Adams reading his favourite tweets?! Id probably go to that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Would love to see Pope Francis' dark techno set playing to a madouvit crowd in Rankin's Wood. Giving out tabs of acid instead of the bread of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Interpol have confirmed an Irish concert in Stradbally for their turn on the bright lights 15th anniversary tour. So we have a confirmed headliner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Good to see we're getting a full band performance from the Real IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Wooderson wrote: »
    Good to see we're getting a full band performance from the Real IRA.

They're clashing with The Man Who Slipped on the Ice on the RTE News. Serious pisser.

Snarky Snark Snark

Peter File wrote: »
    Interpol have confirmed an Irish concert in Stradbally for their turn on the bright lights 15th anniversary tour. So we have a confirmed headliner

Where?

They've the following dates on their site and the announcement video on twatter, no Stradbally listed.
    09/01 – London, UK @ Alexandra Palace
    09/03 – Manchester, UK @ Albert Hall

Unless they're popping over for a nights work down the country, i'd be surprised (we had them in 2015 too)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Good old fashioned lies, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

According to the thin line, in the original post it had Stradbally which was then removed?

Snarky Snark Snark

What's the Thin Line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Peesh89

The Thin Air, I assume..

Advertisement