Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I'd be leaving my friend on their own then. I'll just grin and bear it :L

If it really, really isn't your thing, there is always the option to stay offsite, but you'd need to be looking into that immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Probably a bit off topic but I got a ticket for Christmas and have never been before. I'm just wondering what the crowd is like at this? Are there a load of dodgy skangers? I won't be able to sleep a wink at it if i don't feel comfortable.

I wouldn't say it's a skangy crowd at it, fair enough there are a fair share of people you wouldn't want to camp beside but at a festival with 50,000 people you're going to get a few. I would say you would be very unlucky to end up camping beside a bunch of skangers and it could be easily avoided if you pitch your tent beside a crowd that seem to be decent. The crowd is getting younger each year but there is still a lot of mature people there and I would say 95% are there just to have a good time and not cause any trouble.

I would be surprised if you went with an open mind and didn't enjoy yourself as I think everyone can find some area of the festival they would enjoy. If you really don't want to risk camping beside a bad crowd there is the option of the pink moon campsite , it will cost you extra but could be worth it for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

I wouldn't say it's a skangy crowd at it, fair enough there are a fair share of people you wouldn't want to camp beside but at a festival with 50,000 people you're going to get a few. I would say you would be very unlucky to end up camping beside a bunch of skangers and it could be easily avoided if you pitch your tent beside a crowd that seem to be decent. The crowd is getting younger each year but there is still a lot of mature people there and I would say 95% are there just to have a good time and not cause any trouble.

I would be surprised if you went with an open mind and didn't enjoy yourself as I think everyone can find some area of the festival they would enjoy. If you really don't want to risk camping beside a bad crowd there is the option of the pink moon campsite , it will cost you extra but could be worth it for peace of mind.

Second this. Even the crowd getting younger vast majority are on the annoying hipster side rather than skanger demograph. Healthy amount of pretty blatant recreational drug-taking mind. Avoid certain areas such as the woods in the early hours of the morning & you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Probably a bit off topic but I got a ticket for Christmas and have never been before. I'm just wondering what the crowd is like at this? Are there a load of dodgy skangers? I won't be able to sleep a wink at it if i don't feel comfortable.

I'm in full agreement with Ferris & Tago. In twelve years going I've only had one problem (stolen wallet - but I was greatly at fault for leaving it unprotected in the tent). There are some people to avoid, but realistically less proportionally than out on the town on a Saturday night. There's also some drunken clumsiness but it's never been aggressive from what I've observed and I've not seen a fight in all the years I've gone. Some slightly aggressive security the worst I'd report. The above advice about Joplin (free), Eco-Camping (also free, but limited & must be booked immediately when it opens online) or Pink Moon (expensive) is all good.

There are also options for hotels or B&Bs (for the latter approx 40-50 Euro per person per night if booked early) in nearby towns - Athy, Durrow, Abbeyleix & Portlaoise for example. Should be able to get rooms  if you book soon.Expect to pay 20 Euro each way to and from the festival site in a taxi, inexpensive if travelling with some others. I note that you're there with one pal but you'd usually find others at the B&B headed for the festival so sharing would cut costs.

Finally, there's a reason why EP is popular. It's the greatest arts & music festival this little island has ever had. Plenty of music if that's your thing. But there's also much literature, theatre, comedy, cookery, art and other entertainment. In summary it's just an enormous good-natured & friendly party and very few first-timers come away unhappy. If you go I hope you have a great weekend, as do all other posters here.

I am finally feeling a bit of excitement for the first announcement (thank you posters).

I'm listening to a lot of early and recent Van Morrison, Childish Gambino and
    Martha Wainwright at the moment. I'd be delighted if any of them turned up on the bill!

I'm also listening to Bon Iver a lot but I have my ticket for the Monday of Forbidden Fruit. I just hope it goes ahead as recent dates in Europe were cancelled for personal reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Peesh89

Hmmm just read something suggesting that Ed Sheeran could play picnic.

"Ed’s manager Stuart Camp has given fans fresh hope, stating that Ed will be back to perform in Ireland but possibly not for some time.

“Not in that same period but we will be back on this album run,” he said.."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Jaysus, it was bad enough with Picture this last year. Can you imagine if Ed was announced. The average age would drop a good decade or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Peesh89 wrote: »
    Hmmm just read something suggesting that Ed Sheeran could play picnic.

"Ed’s manager Stuart Camp has given fans fresh hope, stating that Ed will be back to perform in Ireland but possibly not for some time.

“Not in that same period but we will be back on this album run,” he said.."

zero chance. it'll be these 3 arena shows then croke park next summer for the same album tour.

Synode wrote: »
    Jaysus, it was bad enough with Picture this last year. Can you imagine if Ed was announced. The average age would drop a good decade or 2

I'll actually never forget that. I had (and still have) no idea who they are, but we were walking against the tide trying to get to My Lovely Ranch as the hons were rushing into the arena in their droves to get to the main stage. I think I called it the 'Fake-Tan Apocalypse' in my write up of the weekend. It was bizarrely unnerving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

sadie06 wrote: »
    Synode wrote: »

I'll actually never forget that. I had (and still have) no idea who they are, but we were walking against the tide trying to get to My Lovely Ranch as the hons were rushing into the arena in their droves to get to the main stage. I think I called it the 'Fake-Tan Apocalypse' in my write up of the weekend. It was bizarrely unnerving.

They're a local band (Athy) so loads of Kildare/Laois youngsters had bought day tickets solely to see them. They'd also had a number 1 single/EP the previous month. And no, I can't explain the appeal. I'm still stuck in the 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

FF pulled one out of the hat today naming Orbital, would have loved to have them back in Stradbally.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    They're a local band (Athy) so loads of Kildare/Laois youngsters had bought day tickets solely to see them.

I headed to YT straight after posting just out of curiosity. Happy for them that they are doing well, but the kindest thing I could say is that they are inoffensive, and I dug deep for even that.

Perfect name though...I'd much rather picture them than listen to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

I am finally feeling a bit of excitement for the first announcement (thank you posters).

Martha Wainwright at the moment. I'd be delighted if any of them turned up on the bill!

I'm also listening to Bon Iver a lot but I have my ticket for the Monday of Forbidden Fruit. I just hope it goes ahead as recent dates in Europe were cancelled for personal reasons.

They're playing in Coachella in April and a then a few European festivals in the summer so I think it's safe to say they'll be at FF.

They're playing in Coachella in April and a then a few European festivals in the summer so I think it's safe to say they'll be at FF.

Great...always a little worrying when dates start being pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

FF pulled one out of the hat today naming Orbital, would have loved to have them back in Stradbally.

Brilliant at EP in '09

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Brilliant at EP in '09

And 2012 straight after Squarepusher, well caught the last hour of their set.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

One of the best albums of last year - really caught me by surprise too.

But, I'd say we'll be disappointed. I think a lot of people expected him to do the full festival circuit but he's showing up nowhere. Common consensus on the sites/blogs that I read is that its down to filming the new Han Solo prequel, in which Donald Glover has a pretty prominent role.

It has also delayed the second season of Atlanta, his FX-produced comedy/drama, that is well worth a look if you haven't seen it!!

Good shout on Van too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Below is a list of most of the main European festivals that have announced their line ups or at least announced some of their headliners so far. Might give people an idea of who is touring this summer..

I would love to see Arcade Fire & Justice play at Picnic but if the below list is anything to go by it could be too late in the summer for them. Someone mentioned on another thread Arcade Fire could be playing Malahide Castle which might make more sense based on their tour dates.

The acts that seem to be touring towards the end of the summer don't exactly inspire me but that's not to say we will definitely get any of them. I would say The XX are nailed on, and Alt J, Two Door Cinema Club could be pretty likely. Hope to god we don't end up with Major Lazer (which I feel we will) or Mumford & Sons.

Primavera 01-06-17 The XX Arcade Fire Bon Iver Frank Ocean Aphex Twin
    NOS Primavera 08-06-17 Justice Aphex Twin Bon Iver Run the Jewels
    Northside 09-06-17 Radiohead Frank Ocean Bastille The 1975 Run the Jewels
    Parklife 10-06-17 Frank Ocean The 1975 Tribe Called Quest Fatboy Slim London Grammar
    Best Kept Secret 16-06-17 Radiohead Arcade Fire
    Roskilde 24-06-17 Foo Fighters Tribe Called Quest Arcade Fire Justice Moderat The Weeknd
    Open'er Festival 28-06-17 Radiohead The Weeknd Foo Fighters The XX
    Rock Werchter 29-06-17 Radiohead Arcade Fire Foo Fighters Kings of Leon Linkin Park Alt J
    Open Air 29-06-17 Lorde Alt J Justice Biffy Clyro
    Bilbao BBK 06-07-17 Depeche Mode Brian Wilson The Killers TDCC Justice Phoenix
    NOS Alive 06-07-17 The Weeknd Foo Fighters The XX Depeche Mode Alt J Phoenix
    Mad Cool Fest 06-07-17 Kings of Leon Foo Fighters Alt J Green Day Royksopp
    TRNSMT 07-07-17 Radiohead Kasabian Biffy Clyro The 1975 TDCC London Grammar
    Bluedot 07-07-17 Orbital Pixies Alt J Soulwax Warpaint
    Bennicassim 13-07-17 RHCP The Weeknd Kasabian Foals Liam Gallagher
    MELT Festival 14-07-17 Phoenix Die Antword Fatboy Slim
    Colours of Ostrava 19-07-17 Jamiroquai Imagine Dragons Alt J Moderat
    Lollapalooza Paris 22-07-17 RHCP The Weeknd Lana Del Rey Pixies London Grammar Alt J
    Oya Fest 08-08-17 The XX Lana Del Rey Pixies
    Sziget 09-08-17 Kasabian Major Lazer Interpol TDCC
    Boardsmasters 09-08-17 Jamiroquai Alt J TDCC Jake Bugg Wild Beasts
    Flow Festival 11-08-17 The XX Aphex Twin Landa Del Rey Flume London Grammar
    Green Man 17-08-17 PJ Harvey Ryan Adams Future Islands
    Lowlands 18-08-17 The XX Mumford & Sons Alt J Elbow Iggy Pop Editors
    Reading & Leeds 25-08-17 Muse Major Lazer Kasabian TDCC Bastille
    Lollapalooza Berlin 09-09-17 Foo Fighters Mumford & Sons The XX TDCC London Grammar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Glad and shocked to hear the 1975's are doing a standalone gig in Malahide castle, really didn't think they have enough appeal, hopefully it keeps them away ta F**k!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Glad and shocked to hear the 1975's are doing a standalone gig in Malahide castle, really didn't think they have enough appeal, hopefully it keeps them away ta F**k!!

Indeed. Although their album went to No.1 in the US so they're bigger than we think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 llewelynmoss

Does anyone know when the next batch of tickets are on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Does anyone know when the next batch of tickets are on sale?

I'd imagine when the first acts are announced. Usually around mid march.

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    I'd imagine when the first acts are announced. Usually around mid march.

who will the acts be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

showpony1 wrote: »
    who will the acts be?

Bowie, Prince, Daft Punk.

Same as every other year.

Bowie, Prince, Daft Punk.

Same as every other year.

I heard Radiohead might play

• Registered Users Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

According to the FB EP page

"The first acts for Electric Picnic 2017 will be announced the week of 20th March"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Nearly 3 fupping weeks later than last year!

bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Nearly 3 fupping weeks later than last year!

bastards!

Doesn't matter how late, you're still going 😉

i'm now not going cos they are announcing the line up so late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Basis for this lengthy delay? Any ideas?

Is there a show they want to sell out where the band also booked for Stradbally?

Collins?

/joke

Advertisement