Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

D.Q wrote: »
    Does anyone know, if you're staying in pink moon, can you just buy their early access or do you need to buy through TM as well

Actually, looking at that again, i think it's just the price to get into pink moon early, you might have to pay extra to get into the main site and then the tenner to get into pink moon....

**** that...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Pre-event volunteer, I work the Monday to Thursday, six hour shifts, just managing festival traffic and keeping the one way system going, otherwise it gets messy.  Wristbanded on Thursday evening and free for the weekend, I've stayed in crew camping which although a wee bit of a walk through the hole in the wall is great craic.

Maybe I'm missing the point, but that sounds like four days work for something that can be bought for €160.
    At a guess the craic, experience and build up to the festival are probably pretty priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    At a guess the craic, experience and build up to the festival are probably pretty priceless.

Yep, having volunteered at a number of festivals I wouldn't go to a festival as a paying punter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Actually, looking at that again, i think it's just the price to get into pink moon early, you might have to pay extra to get into the main site and then the tenner to get into pink moon....

**** that...

I think it is very unlikely that you will get entrance to the main site. Campervanners and Caravanners cannot leave the campervan field. There is no access to the main site at all.

The last 4 years I was a campervan person, but my SO sold the campervan (it was hers, not mine) and this year I have a small 2 berth caravan which is yet to get its first outing.

Am actually looking for a decent small festival early in the year for first outing. Does anyone have any suggestions? Vantastival has been pushed back to June bank holiday, so thats hardly early any more.

Anyone know of a good small festival in May?

The music is not so important as long as its not country all weekend!

Snarky Snark Snark

sorry, should have expanded, by main site, I mean main camping sites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Directing traffic for four days doesn't sound like much craic to me, but fair enough, I just underestimated how much volunteering you would have to do to get a wristband. It seems like an enormous commitment for not much return.

Maybe I'm just jealous that I'm too old to have an entire week to give up like that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Yep, having volunteered at a number of festivals I wouldn't go to a festival as a paying punter again.

I've worked festivals for 12 years, and the only one I'd pay to go to is Boomtown, hands down. Volunteering can lead to pretty decent paid work too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Directing traffic for four days doesn't sound like much craic to me, but fair enough, I just underestimated how much volunteering you would have to do to get a wristband. It seems like an enormous commitment for not much return.

Maybe I'm just jealous that I'm too old to have an entire week to give up like that.

I live near Stradbally and drive through it the week the Picnic is on. It honestly looks like good craic. The shop does be buzzing with people coming and going with cans, and lads tipping down for a nice pint of stout between shifts, etc. No doubt there's a lot of hard work going on as well but there's a lovely vibe around the place. Honestly, it's not my kinda thing either. I prefer just arriving and seeing the whole thing up and running. But I can absolutely see why people do it. A 'free' ticket is only part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I've worked festivals for 12 years, and the only one I'd pay to go to is Boomtown

Why out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

7 nights in a tent though! Thats tough going!

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Fatfrog wrote: »

for the tent...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Synode wrote: »
    Why out of interest?

At the risk of going off topic here, boomtown looks incredible. It's looking less and less likely that I'll be able to go to the picnic this year so I'm seriously considering it if I can convince a friend or two to go with me.

Fatfrog wrote: »

I've done many weeks in a tent on the trot. It's fine really, get a good sleeping bag and a good matress and it's fine really. Unless you're old

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Synode wrote: »
    Why out of interest?

Its where people who work at festivals chose to go to not work. Its simply incredible, and I've been to most festivals in uk and ireland over last decade.

Back on topic.

Volunteering is a great option for people at EP, free ticket, work is great fun most the time, alot of perks and also opportunities to work other festivals that previously wouldnt have been viable

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Basicilly

Hey, anyone know when EP tickets will go back on sale? Do they usually sell out these days. Been a while since i was there - pre kids and all that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Basicilly wrote: »
    Hey, anyone know when EP tickets will go back on sale? Do they usually sell out these days. Been a while since i was there - pre kids and all that:)

The first announcement on acts is the week of 20th March so i'm guessing they'll go back on sale then.

It's been selling out earlier and earlier in recent years and will definitely do so again this year so i wouldn't leave it too long after that if you don't want to go down the 2nd hand route. It sold out very early last year and caught a few people on the hop.

Snarky Snark Snark

Mr.S wrote: »
    I've known people to get the wooooooorst jobs at the worst times at EP / B&S though

vuo9k4w.png

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Basicilly

The first announcement on acts is the week of 20th March so i'm guessing they'll go back on sale then.

It's been selling out earlier and earlier in recent years and will definitely do so again this year so i wouldn't leave it too long after that if you don't want to go down the 2nd hand route. It sold out very early last year and caught a few people on the hop.

Thanks a lot Arne!!

Mr.S wrote: »
    I've known people to get the wooooooorst jobs at the worst times at EP / B&S though, so be prepared for that too! Standing in a empty field at 5am in the dark with 1 other person is not my ideal of fun :pac:

But yeah, I've heard mostly good things.

Good few of the production guys for the big promoters have all started as volunteers.

I've had friends who volunteer every year and I wouldn't do it. Unless you're working pre or post festival I would rather stay at home. It's three 8 hour shifts in barely 3 days and at least 2 of your shifts are bound to be at the worst possible time when all you're friends are off getting wrecked and you miss the headliners and all the other good bands that are on late. EP is really not that expensive with the installments and stuff and you have a year in advance to plan for it financially, so I don't understand why people do it tbh, id honesnly rather stay in galway and go on t he lash here for the weekend. Speaking of which its friday boys waheeeey

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yeah the weekend shifts are harder, you might be working the carpark all weekend or a production entrance/exit which can be boring. With the Picnic you have to do the weekend shift the first time round but if you stick with them you can do the pre or post event in the following years, providing you can take holiday leave from your regular work to work a full festival week.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

wristbanding is highly enjoyable work at it, thats where i would have been. Shifts are a mixed bag but you are in a large cluster of people in same boat so craic is had regardless

• Advertisement

Hmmmm I should probably just go to bed instead of posting on boards when I get home from a night out...

The Pleasuresaurus's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Pukkelpop line up out this morning (2 weeks before EP), Mumford & Sons, The XX, Bastille & Editors are the headliners. Also playing are At the Drive in, Interpol, Flume, Elbow, Chance the Rapper, Cypress Hill, Moderat, London Grammar, PJ Harvey and more..

The worrying about Mumford & Sons continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Pukkelpop line up out this morning (2 weeks before EP), Mumford & Sons, The XX, Bastille & Editors are the headliners. Also playing are At the Drive in, Interpol, Flume, Elbow, Chance the Rapper, Cypress Hill, Moderat, London Grammar, PJ Harvey and more..

Fair play to Editors, you can fool some of the people all of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

PJ Harvey please!

A few more names: Flaming Lips, Vince Staples, Migos

Loads of good electronic music acts too - Ben Klock, Joy O, Ben UFO, Rodhad, Gerd Janson...

Would be nice to see some of those booked for EP but based on recent years won't be holding my breath for too many of them

Please not Mumford & Sons, they were sh1te the last time and don't want Kasabian either, I know there is multiple stages and that, so there you go.

PJ Harvey please!

A few more names: Flaming Lips, Vince Staples, Migos

Loads of good electronic music acts too - Ben Klock, Joy O, Ben UFO, Rodhad, Gerd Janson...

Would be nice to see some of those booked for EP but based on recent years won't be holding my breath for too many of them

Max Cooper maybe and Jon Hopkins is touring a DJ set around August too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BlaaEater

Please not Mumford & Sons, they were sh1te the last time and don't want Kasabian either, I know there is multiple stages and that, so there you go.

F*cking double-please on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Max Cooper maybe and Jon Hopkins is touring a DJ set around August too.

Jon Hopkins please, his set in 2015 was exceptional.

One month to go till the line-up is announced, it can't come quick enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Maybe get Mark E Smith back with a bigger collection of bottles?

Advertisement