Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Latitude and Longitude are run by the same people and have shared headliners in the past (I think) so that could be where that idea comes from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

My favourite post-announcement whinge is the 'compared to other European festivals, EP is ****e'.

It very well may be...but I really don't care when I'm there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

sadie06 wrote: »
    My favourite post-announcement whinge is the 'compared to other European festivals, EP is ****e'.

It very well may be...but I really don't care when I'm there!
    And they're wrong too Sadie. Many Euro fests on concrete (often on disused airfield runways), little on offer bar the music so no comedy/literature/art, often no choice of beer (eg Heineken only in Primavera & Open'er), poor food options and few get better acts than EP. It's also a hell of a lot more expensive when you factor in flights, accommodation (for some) and the Picnic is great value if you buy early. Non-Irish pals have been hugely impressed with EP and it gets regularly unfairly knocked. Time for us to defend it a little. Unless they announce the Mumfords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Seathrun66 wrote: »

I'm guessing that is no more reliable than the "rumours" on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Ok man relax lol

• Advertisement

Re efestivals.com

Hi Former Former, they're usually very accurate, won't accept any unsubstantiated rumours (so they'd ignore all of us!) and extremely cagey about putting stuff up. Their reputation depends on it & I've found them by far the most accurate of festival rumours sources. So yes, more reliable. 

Though many posters here are making the point about the 1975 at Malahide thus not Longitude and that makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Why all the hate for Mumford? Their Glastonbury headliner slot a few years ago was very good imo. I'd love to see them live, even if I'm not pushed on their latest album.

Also, any of these touring and/or a possibility would anyone think?
    -Foals
    -The Vaccines
    -Jake Bugg
    - Ben Howard
    - The Last Shadow Puppets
    - Edward Sharpe

EIREDriver wrote: »
    Why all the hate for Mumford?  Their Glastonbury headliner slot a few years ago was very good imo. I'd love to see them live, even if I'm not pushed on their latest album.

Also, any of these touring and/or a possibility would anyone think?
    -Foals
    -The Vaccines
    -Jake Bugg
    - Ben Howard
    - The Last Shadow Puppets
    - Edward Sharpe
    Sorry man. The Mumfords thing is all just subjective taste. I'm not a fan but am aware they'd draw a huge crowd to the main stage and I'd find plenty of alternatives in the tents. But personaly I'd prefer that EP used their large fee elsewhere.

And a fair chance of some of those. Foals have played three times before and it fits in with their schedule. Ben Howard & The Vaccines played in 2012, Edward Sharpe the year before and pretty sure the other two haven't yet so you could get lucky with a couple of those. Hope you're happy with whatever gets announced in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭glencurtis252

EIREDriver wrote:
    Also, any of these touring and/or a possibility would anyone think? -Foals -The Vaccines -Jake Bugg - Ben Howard - The Last Shadow Puppets - Edward Sharpe

The last shadow puppets aren't touring anymore I'd be nearly sure

Must b first time in a while that we don't have much clue of any of the lineup at this stage (apart from Interpol)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Stone roses Saturday night....

D.Q wrote: »
    Stone roses Saturday night....

Where'd you hear that?

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Must b first time in a while that we don't have much clue of any of the lineup at this stage (apart from Interpol)
    Mary Chain & Arab Strap also very likely as doing other festivals that weekend, but not if they don't fancy playing three nights in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

EIREDriver wrote: »
    Why all the hate for Mumford?

ahem....
    And rightly too! Modern Chart act #32 have a couple of good tunes but they don't really fit into the general mode of EP, if the kids want to see that sort of ****e then they should have gone to marley park (or other skanger fest of note).

Most of their stuff is just derivative generic radio guff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A few French festivals still have to announce yet, Cabaret Vert and Rock en Seine which happen the weekend before the Picnic normally, so it should be interesting what crops up in their line ups as there is usually some crossover with the leading up to the Picnic.

Actually Cabaret Vert has released their 2017 line up so Justice could very well end in the Picnic line up.

C5XAh1PXUAAdhM8.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Snarky Snark Snark

hmmm billy ray cyprus hill

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

The last shadow puppets aren't touring anymore I'd be nearly sure

Yeah Turner going back to the grindstone with AM seemingly. Pity they didn't grace EP last year Turner is much better as a front-man when he lets himself go a tad or maybe the louche nature of the LSP tunes make it easier to release his inner pervert.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭MS291988

Bloc Party anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shlots

Gorillaz are finished the new album and in live rehearsals according to as bunch of articles quoting Damon Alburn. Is hope for that within an acceptable range or just pure madness?

Won't let me post a source link... But there was an attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

they haven't announced any festivals at all, and pretty much all the UK/Europe ones have announced their headliners at this stge, so I'd say there's very little chance they'll do EP, probably just stick to their own gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

There was a video posted over on the efestival forum about Mumford & Sons making an announcement tomorrow. Looks like they are definitely going to be at Latitude anyway, would imagine there is a good chance of them at Longitude too then.

Agree with ghostdancer about Gorillas, as much as I would love them it would be surprising if EP was the only festival they played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Maybe its just my hazy recollection, but i didnt think that Damon really felt the love from the crowd when Blur played a few years ago. Hard to see him bringing Gorillaz to it.

Maybe its just my hazy recollection, but i didnt think that Damon really felt the love from the crowd when Blur played a few years ago.  Hard to see him bringing Gorillaz to it.

The crowd didn't seem to know any of the Magic Whip material and chatted all through it. Unfair I thought as I loved the album. 

Albarn loves playing in Ireland though. Big connection due to the Dublin journalist Leo Finlay who helped break them and whose wedding they played at. Can't see Gorrilaz making it though, for all the reasons the other posters have given.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

they haven't announced any festivals at all, and pretty much all the UK/Europe ones have announced their headliners at this stge, so I'd say there's very little chance they'll do EP, probably just stick to their own gigs.

I dunno there is still a headliner slot available for Glastonbury. They could do a couple of festival slots this year before hitting the trail proper the following year ala Arcade Fire. Unlikely but haven't given up all hope yet.

Tago Mago wrote: »

I dunno there is still a headliner slot available for Glastonbury. They could do a couple of festival slots this year before hitting the trail proper the following year ala Arcade Fire. Unlikely but haven't given up all hope yet.
    Seemingly Ed Sheeran.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭A.Gorilla

Maybe its just my hazy recollection, but i didnt think that Damon really felt the love from the crowd when Blur played a few years ago. Hard to see him bringing Gorillaz to it.
    Sure didn't he say he was like 1/16th irish....he loves the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I see that Parquet Courts are playing the end of the road fest Thurs Aug 31st.
    That might see them pop over to EP.
    Here's hoping anyway. Last years album was a cracker.

Snarky Snark Snark

minds can easily be changed by a great big stack of dollar bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm not a Blur fan but everyone in my group thought they were dull last time and some of the group were fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

a few more names added for Electric Fields the same weekend in Scotland:

C5xwCHAWQAAPF6d.jpg

Advertisement