Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    And they're wrong too Sadie. Many Euro fests on concrete (often on disused airfield runways), little on offer bar the music so no comedy/literature/art, often no choice of beer (eg Heineken only in Primavera & Open'er), poor food options and few get better acts than EP. It's also a hell of a lot more expensive when you factor in flights, accommodation (for some) and the Picnic is great value if you buy early. Non-Irish pals have been hugely impressed with EP and it gets regularly unfairly knocked. Time for us to defend it a little. Unless they announce the Mumfords.

It depends what you're looking for, really. Personally I care not a jot for comedy, poetry and art installations at a music festival.
    Fair enough. I just find that when a festival is exclusively music there's a shortage of places to chill out. Which at EP there's plenty of, the Mindfield and Body & Soul in particular. Maybe I'm mistaken but the food options at such festivals are also pretty limited. But each to his own, there's something different at each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I'm by no means a Kasabian fan but how come so many dislike them? Is it cos their music isn't great or the type of crowd they'd attract or both? Just curious!

For me it's a mixture of the ****ty derivative music, the awful lyrics but mostly the posing and bollocks spouted by the two wannabe Liam Galagher **** who front the band.

kasabian-014-700x600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Fair enough. I just find that when a festival is exclusively music there's a shortage of places to chill out. Which at EP there's plenty of, the Mindfield and Body & Soul in particular. Maybe I'm mistaken but the food options at such festivals are also pretty limited. But each to his own, there's something different at each festival.

I know what you mean, I enjoyed RockNess festival in Scotland in 2010 but there was no chill out areas, reggae areas nor mellow ambient techno areas, which I loved about Body & Soul, EP, Townlands and Scrobarnach festivals.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

For me it's a mixture of the ****ty derivative music, the awful lyrics but mostly the posing and bollocks spouted by the two wannabe Liam Galagher **** who front the band.

The lad culture ****e that they spout always pissed me off, especially because they've got 2/3 good albums and are a very good live band.

Serge Pizzorno can be pretty articulate and interesting when he wants to be, but the Oasis-lite thing they do has always put me off them a little.

That said, I'm a fan of the debut and 'West Ryder...' and there's at least 3/4 good songs on each of their other albums.

The lad culture ****e that they spout always pissed me off, especially because they've got 2/3 good albums and are a very good live band.

Serge Pizzorno can be pretty articulate and interesting when he wants to be, but the Oasis-lite thing they do has always put me off them a little.

That said, I'm a fan of the debut and 'West Ryder...' and there's at least 3/4 good songs on each of their other albums.

1st album is the only one i've given any real time to, couple of passable rehashes on that but nothing outstanding.

After that awful muck like Ezz Eh made me steer well clear of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I remember seeing a performance of Kasabian on the telly at Glastonbury a good few years ago, for some reason I take an instant dislike to front men sporting sleeveless Union Jack tee shirts, its something that goes back with hating Joe Elliot and Def Leppard who also wore these Union Jack tee shirts and I'm not really Republican-minded, it just grinds my gears and I was never fond of Kasabian's music either. It doesn't matter if they get announced anyway will just feck off somewhere else out of listening distance. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

1st album is the only one i've given any real time to, couple of passable rehashes on that but nothing outstanding.

After that awful muck like Ezz Eh made me steer well clear of them.

Absolutely dreadful song.

The latest album wasn't great, even with a few decent songs on it. But if you didn't like them going it, there wasn't going to be anything to change your mind.

Annoyingly, 'West Pauper', their best one IMO, isn't on Spotify so I don't listen very often.

Absolutely dreadful song.

The latest album wasn't great, even with a few decent songs on it. But if you didn't like them going it, there wasn't going to be anything to change your mind.

Annoyingly, 'West Pauper', their best one IMO, isn't on Spotify so I don't listen very often.

It might be true that i ignore anything good they do and the only things i'm interested in about Kasabian are things that will make me hate them more.

Very possible my hatred is irrational, for some reason they just rub me up the wrong way!

Vantastival have just announced:

The Riptide Movement --Kíla --Overhead, The Albatross --Lankum (Lynched) --The Pale -- Corner Boy -- New Secret Weapon -- Cat Dowling -- Orchid Collective -- Mark Geary --

among others.

Lots of lowkey first announcements this year. EP must have hoovered up all the heavy hitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Fair enough. I just find that when a festival is exclusively music there's a shortage of places to chill out. Which at EP there's plenty of, the Mindfield and Body & Soul in particular. Maybe I'm mistaken but the food options at such festivals are also pretty limited. But each to his own, there's something different at each festival.

With European festivals, they start later so it really makes no odds that there's less "side" stuff as you can spend the day exploring the City (or dying with a hangover in your accommodation).

The food options are brilliant at EP though, I'll give it that. Love the crepes and Wok N Roll

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

With European festivals, they start later so it really makes no odds that there's less "side" stuff as you can spend the day exploring the City (or dying with a hangover in your accommodation).

The food options are brilliant at EP though, I'll give it that. Love the crepes and Wok N Roll

The food is top notch at EP. Wok N Roll is great as is the Mexican place.

I try to eat well the first day or 2 of EP cos after that my appetite greatly reduces :pac:

Horses for courses i guess, one of the things a lot of people love about EP is the fact that they can step outside their normal world for a weekend and not have to deal with deadlines or traffic or news bulletins, Garda commissioner or Donald ****ing Trump etc

I can see the attraction of both types of festivals personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It's been a long time since I Wok n Roll..

robert-plant-jimmy-page-led-zeppelin-bw-billboard-1548.jpg

Sorry*

*(not sorry)

I just found that with some Euro fests (Primavera in particular) there's no escape from some or other soundsystems between acts, much soundclash and the food area ain't a mellow place. I hate to sound like a whingeing ninny but after a few days of partying sometimes you just need a few mins to chill. EP, Glasto, Latitude & many others offer that. And hey I realise I'm also showing my age, I can't remember this being a priority in my twenties.

Horses for courses i guess, one of the things a lot of people love about EP is the fact that they can step outside their normal world for a weekend and not have to deal with deadlines or traffic or news bulletins, Garda commissioner or Donald ****ing Trump etc

I can see the attraction of both types of festivals personally.
    Same here, and I'll continue to do both. My points were in response to Sadie saying that on social media after the EP announcement we'll have loads of people saying that EP is shi*e and Euro fests are way better. Plenty of room for all types of gatherings I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I still love their eponymous debut album. Doubt I'll ever get sick of it.

Seen them live a few times and they put on a great show if you like the music. I'd defo go see them if announced at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Would probably toddle along to see what they're like, only have the first album, thought it was meh but some bands are a lot better live than their albums suggest and some music really does improve when played live.

If meh live then I'll go grab a pint and find sommat else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Would probably toddle along to see what they're like, only have the first album, thought it was meh but some bands are a lot better live than their albums suggest and some music really does improve when played live.

If meh live then I'll go grab a pint and find sommat else to do.

Great thing about picnic is that it isn't headliner orientated as such. Always something else on elsewhere to go to

Modest Mouse have announced a 12 date May-June US tour, last date listed as 10th June.

Possible they might hit the European festival circuit after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tomoginns

The Weeknd, Kaytranada, Catfish and the bottlemen, Milky Chance and Skepta for longitude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'm by no means a Kasabian fan but how come so many dislike them? Is it cos their music isn't great or the type of crowd they'd attract or both? Just curious!

Ah I suppose I don't dislike them anymore than other bands I'm not interested in. I would just not like to think of EP spending so much money on a band that I have no interest in. Not sure if Kasabian would attract a young crowd but I'd say Mumford & Sons and Major Lazer would.

Longitude line up is incredibly disappointing but at least it means all of those acts won't be in Stradbally.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭glencurtis252

The food is top notch at EP. Wok N Roll is great as is the Mexican place.

The food is amazing.. I stumbled along a delightful place called barracuda I think and served up a mixture of God knows what but it was amazing.. albeit i ate it fairly drunk on the Sunday nite haha!!

I had to deal with trump at EP last year just saying:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Longitude lineup looks like good news for any ep fans! Lot of acts avoided :)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

I must be in the minority in that I like both Kasabian & Oasis.

6 months to go! :)

Snarky Snark Snark

6 months to go! :)

ahem...
    184 sleeps btw Ladies and Germs.

ahem...

184 sleeps sounds less than 6 months, I think I can deal with that better!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Emmmm...

Snarky Snark Snark

don-t-believe-the-hype-crewneck_design.png

• Advertisement

Advertisement