Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Paddy2012

Is there any reason in particular why Muse might not headline?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    Is there any reason in particular why Muse might not headline?

Someone posted that their set was too big in a previous year but I would have thought that most festival stages were of a similar enough size.

Think they'd be a great headliner, shows are fairly epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I wonder is Frank Ocean a contender now if he isn't headlining Longitude? Muse are definitely a possibility.

Say there is a strong chance of getting our headliners from the below list (unless we get someone who hasn't announced a tour yet):
    The XX
    Frank Ocean
    Justice
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Foals
    Jamiroquai
    Kasabian
    Muse
    Major Lazer
    Pet Shop Boys

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Muse were announced as a European exclusive on the first reading & Leeds lineup poster. It doesn't say it anymore on the newer line up posters which followed the other headliners being announced but I'd say it still stands so that rules muse out......unfortunately

Snarky Snark Snark

I'd wonder about that, it doesn't say a thing about exclusives on the Reading/Leeds websites plus they're FR setups which would prove useful if they were trying to get them for EP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I know a guy that works/tours with Muse, has done for many years now. A band like Muse HAVE PLAYED EVERYWHERE tens of times so they're always looking for something different, said around 2014'ish Muse are dying to play the EP.

I think Foo Fighters could be a real possibility, look at their tour dates

https://foofighters.com

Snarky Snark Snark

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I know a guy that works/tours with Muse, has done for many years now. A band like Muse HAVE PLAYED EVERYWHERE tens of times so they're always looking for something different, said around 2014'ish Muse are dying to play the EP.

that'd be lovely but does EP rate at all for bands on the tour map? It's pretty small compared to some of the mongo euro fests and I know every band loves to blow smoke up the audiences hole during gigs but would thought that one stage is pretty much the same to another when you're plowing through the same ****e for the n'th time that summer.

that'd be lovely but does EP rate at all for bands on the tour map? It's pretty small compared to some of the mongo euro fests and I know every band loves to blow smoke up the audiences hole during gigs but would thought that one stage is pretty much the same to another when you're plowing through the same ****e for the n'th time that summer.

It wasn't a "your the best audience ever" or "this is our favourite place ever" type of thing, I'm sure their performance wouldn't be any different. I think its more of an addiction to play and "conquer" as many places as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

I'd wonder about that, it doesn't say a thing about exclusives on the Reading/Leeds websites plus they're FR setups which would prove useful if they were trying to get them for EP.

It was on the original poster and they have no other European dates listed. Muse are one of my favourite bands and I'd love to see them play but don't want to get my hopes up for nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I wonder is Frank Ocean a contender now if he isn't headlining Longitude? Muse are definitely a possibility.

Say there is a strong chance of getting our headliners from the below list (unless we get someone who hasn't announced a tour yet):
    The XX
    Frank Ocean
    Justice
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Foals
    Jamiroquai
    Kasabian
    Muse
    Major Lazer
    Pet Shop Boys

Would love to see the XX play. Think saw Interpol released a video saying they'd be playing that got pulled but dunno would they be a headliner or on one of the smaller stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The Weeknd, Mumford & Sons, Skepta and Milky Chance playing Longitude...

Snarky Snark Snark

Eod100 wrote: »
    Would love to see the XX play. Think saw Interpol released a video saying they'd be playing that got pulled but dunno would they be a headliner or on one of the smaller stages.

Interpol were main stage early evening last time, their profile has not risen much since so at best I'd say they'd be EA headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Interpol were main stage early evening last time, their profile has not risen much since so at best I'd say they'd be EA headliners.

EA would suit them so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I think Foo Fighters could be a real possibility, look at their tour dates

https://foofighters.com

A load of shows in July then one the week after EP in Germany?
    would like it to be true but not getting my hopes up.

Snarky Snark Snark

Much as I'd love it, i'd be shocked at Foos if they appeared, expensive and I don't think we've ever really had that sort of rock act on the main stage as a headliner?

(that said, if the price was right, Metallica have done Glastonbury so why not...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Much as I'd love it, i'd be shocked at Foos if they appeared, expensive and I don't think we've ever really had that sort of rock act on the main stage as a headliner?

(that said, if the price was right, Metallica have done Glastonbury so why not...)

I just can't see it either. They have to cost a pretty penny. I'd love if it happened! Tinnitus would last a week rather than the usual couple of days though.

Having said that, Portishead were, I think, the most ear-buzzingly loud I've experienced at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Foo Fighters are dull as ditch water. And probably hugely expensive. I'd prefer 2 or 3 less massive but more interesting bands.

The bass during portishead in 2010 was something else. But I think Daniel Avery last year was louder. I was literally deaf after I got out of the tent.

Snarky Snark Snark

MadYaker wrote: »
    The Foo Fighters are dull as ditch water. And probably hugely expensive. I'd prefer 2 or 3 less massive but more interesting bands.

Horses for courses, I like them but don't think they're a fit and totally agree on the cost issue, likely get 3-4 decent mid-range bands for their fee.
    The bass during portishead in 2010 was something else

2014 shirley? It was utterly fantastic during Machine Gun

The bass during portishead in 2010 was something else. But I think Daniel Avery last year was louder. I was literally deaf after I got out of the tent.

Horses for courses mate. I think Portishead are as boring as ****, yet have seen FF live and they were one of the best live bands ever.

That said, they are headlining Glastonbury so can't see them play here too

• Advertisement

Horses for courses, I like them but don't think they're a fit and totally agree on the cost issue, likely get 3-4 decent mid-range bands for their fee.

2014 shirley? It was utterly fantastic during Machine Gun

2014 you're right. 2010 was Massive Attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭hoodini89

How much would Foo Fighters cost? Upwards of 500K?
    They're a decent band but as previous posters have said I'd rather get a few good mid-range bands instead.

Snarky Snark Snark

hoodini89 wrote: »
    They're a decent band but as previous posters have said I'd rather get a few good mid-range bands instead.

I'd think so but that said, they do play some odd places that would not have the cash to cover it, they're doing summer solstice in Iceland, that's a small festival (around 15k bodies), they must have dropped their pants to do that.

hoodini89 wrote: »

True. The organisers have probably spent enough already on Radiohead and Daft Punk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

A quick gander at who's playing festivals in or around the time makes me think we'll get something along the lines of:

The XX
    A Tribe Called Quest
    The Flaming Lips
    Mogwai
    Laura Mvula
    Jagwar Ma
    Charlotte Church Pop Dungeon
    Bloc Party
    Aine Cahill
    David Holmes
    James Vincent McMorrow
    Mr Scruff
    Liverpool Philharmonic & Bootleg Beatles
    Little Dragon
    Soul II Soul
    DJ Shadow
    Annie Mac

plus possibly a random big hitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

everlast75 wrote: »
    True. The organisers have probably spent enough already on Radiohead and Daft Punk ;)

they saved the budget for Foo Fighters by getting Daft Funk

Longitude did us a solid with that sh!te lineup. Plenty of rubbish avoided thanks to that.

Snarky Snark Snark

Longitude did us a solid with that sh!te lineup. Plenty of rubbish avoided thanks to that.

Baaba Maal is supposed to be a really good performer in his own right, would have been interesting to have him at EP.

The rest of it is just meh or word salad to me (i=old fart)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

As per a few posts back, mogwai in EA a few years ago, deafening. Even more than MBV outdoor.

🔊

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

think they were about the same tbh, mogwai seemed a lot louder but i'd reckon it was as they were in a tent.

they were good but if you're not a massive fan then after a while it just bleeds into a monotonous wall of ****ing noise.

Advertisement