Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

A quick gander at who's playing festivals in or around the time makes me think we'll get something along the lines of:

The XX
    A Tribe Called Quest
    The Flaming Lips
    Mogwai
    Laura Mvula
    Jagwar Ma
    Charlotte Church Pop Dungeon
    Bloc Party
    Aine Cahill
    David Holmes
    James Vincent McMorrow
    Mr Scruff
    Liverpool Philharmonic & Bootleg Beatles
    Little Dragon
    Soul II Soul
    DJ Shadow
    Annie Mac

plus possibly a random big hitter.

Would love that, but may be a one-off for Festival No 6. Let's hope not as that could be pretty special.

I reckon you're right with many of those plus I'd expect some from Interpol, Arab Strap, Michael Kiwanuka, Ryan Adams, Girl Band, The Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Rag n Bone Man, Circa Waves, Father John Misty, Deerhoof, Real Estate, Let's Eat Grandma, Lambchop and PJ Harvey.

We could have a very decent first announcement in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

and Charlotte...... we wants Charlotte...

rubs legs in lascivious fashion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Would love that, but may be a one-off for Festival No 6. Let's hope not as that could be pretty special.

I reckon you're right with many of those plus I'd expect some from Interpol, Arab Strap, Michael Kiwanuka, Ryan Adams, Girl Band, The Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Rag n Bone Man, Circa Waves, Father John Misty, Deerhoof, Real Estate, Let's Eat Grandma, Lambchop and PJ Harvey.

They seem to be doing a series of shows, just a case of whether it would be cost effective to bring them all over.

Would go down well Saturday afternoon post shower & breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Definitive "worst line-up ever" comment fodder under the Facebook announcement if that's the line up that comes out.

Snarky Snark Snark

Just a couple of those would constitute a very decent weekend before we get to headliners.

(and by headliners I mean the all singing dancing big name main stagers)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Would love Muse and feel the would go down a treat at EP but their stage shows are usually massive and the EP Main Stage is smaller then the likes of Reading/Leeds.

As much as a FF fan that i am , i cant see them doing EP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Cracking selection there, but I reckon Ryan Adams and Girl Band won't be there.

Adams is doing a full Irish tour about a week after Electric Picnic, with shows in Belfast, Dublin (x2) and Cork. It seems unlikely that he'd also rock up in Ireland a week previously.

And Girl Band were billed as an Irish festival exclusive when announced for Castlepalooza, so that rules them out too.

I'd say going off live dates, tours, etc most of the rest are likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Techo

Away from the lineup for a sec but does anyone know if another batch of Campervan tickets come up for sale at some stage? Probably being more hopeful than realistic. Don't suppose anyone has one booked and now can't go? Happy to take if off yer hands!!

Snarky Snark Snark

Techo wrote: »
    Away from the lineup for a sec but does anyone know if another batch of Campervan tickets come up for sale at some stage? Probably being more hopeful than realistic. Don't suppose anyone has one booked and now can't go? Happy to take if off yer hands!!

pretty sure the initial batch was the lot, scrounging time on toutless is going to be your best bet I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

They seem to be doing a series of shows, just a case of whether it would be cost effective to bring them all over.

Would go down well Saturday afternoon post shower & breakfast.

More likely is the Trinity Orchestra doing something or one of the other Irish lots that open the main stage I would've thought.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Lampchop are already playing Body & Soul festival so they might appear at Body & Soul Village at EP too. The Jesus and Mary Chain would be a good bet, DJ Shadow and possibly PJ Harvey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Would love Muse and feel the would go down a treat at EP but their stage shows are usually massive and the EP Main Stage is smaller then the likes of Reading/Leeds.

As much as a FF fan that i am , i cant see them doing EP

They were good at Glasto last year and it looked to me like stage set up they had there could be used anywhere really, they just need to downsize it a bit. I'd be happy if they were on the bill. I'd say their fee is huge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I end up spending so much time thinking about EP and looking at other festivals and who's touring etc that come the initial line up announcement I am usually left slightly disappointed as it doesn't compare to the line up I had built up in my head. In reality though, the first announcement is always just a fraction of the acts that I end up going to see over the weekend and by the time they have had their 2nd/3rd announcements, body & soul, Casa Bacardi, RBMA and the rest I end up stressing over clashes and how I'm going to fit in seeing everyone I want! I'd say a few others on here are the same?

I would say this year will be no different, I would be happy with about 8 acts I'm interested in seeing in the initial announcement.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

MadYaker wrote: »
    They were good at Glasto last year and it looked to me like stage set up they had there could be used anywhere really, they just need to downsize it a bit. I'd be happy if they were on the bill. I'd say their fee is huge though.

Actually never realised until you said it that it was a very stripped down set up for Muse and it could easily work at EP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Get the impression that the accepted business model is to get one v big fish and watch the thing sell out on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hall & Oates announce American tour. A man can dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Wooderson wrote: »
    Get the impression that the accepted business model is to get one v big fish and watch the thing sell out on that basis.

One big stoney, rosey fish hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭glencurtis252

Wonder will Jenny green be playing again.. just seen they announced for marquee and 3 arena gig

Snarky Snark Snark

Wonder will Jenny green be playing again.. just seen they announced for marquee and 3 arena gig

that'd be a waste of a gig slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Wonder would empire of the sun make it over. Their live shows look class

• Advertisement

that'd be a waste of a gig slot.

Completely agree but with the reaction she got last year and apparently amazing (I didn't see it) I could see them coming back again and I'd imagine relatively cheap act correct me if I'm wrong??

Snarky Snark Snark

It was utterly rammed packed, de kiddies loved it, she pressed a button or two and that's about it

yeah, i could see them doing it again.

****ers.

Think they done one just before Christmas as well.. milking it now really

Snarky Snark Snark

Think they done one just before Christmas as well.. milking it now really

WTDnnwE.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

It was utterly rammed packed, de kiddies loved it, she pressed a button or two and that's about it

****ers.
    I didn't get it at all. Maybe the sound was different at the edge of the tent but we couldn't hear the orchestra at all. Which kinda defeated the whole point of it. But the crowd loved it so I guess it was much better closer to the stage. Loved the idea, disliked the execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Completely agree but with the reaction she got last year and apparently amazing (I didn't see it) I could see them coming back again and I'd imagine relatively cheap act correct me if I'm wrong??

Yep they are flogging it, mistakenly believing that this is the saviour of 2fm. That ship is sinking anyway.

However, it was great fun last year and if its on again this year, i'll probably go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Didn't like it - couldn't really hear the orchestra and tbh Jenny acted like she just finished a 2 hour guitar solo rather than 45 minutes of pushing buttons playing other people's well established and crowd pleasing tunes. Got on my ****

From what I seen in the footage it sounded just like the CDs really, if anything really it was probably a cool experience to hear these tracks on a decent sound system.

everlast75 wrote:
    Didn't like it - couldn't really hear the orchestra and tbh Jenny acted like she just finished a 2 hour guitar solo rather than 45 minutes of pushing buttons playing other people's well established and crowd pleasing tunes. Got on my ****

So pretty much a radio set list

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Jenny Greene didn't sit well with some of the obsessive EP freaks on this board because the gig committed the cardinal sin of being popular. The only possible response is therefore to sneer at it and anyone who had the temerity to enjoy it.

It was very enjoyable. It was exactly what it claimed to be. Job done. If it happens again this year I'll definitely go.

Now, resume your mindless and endless listing of bands who might play at EP 2017, no matter how ludicrous it might be.

"I see Depeche Mode are playing in Argentina on the Friday, it's only a 16-hour flight via Madrid, so they're not ruled out yet..."

Etc etc.

Advertisement