Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Jenny Greene didn't sit well with some of the obsessive EP freaks on this board because the gig committed the cardinal sin of being popular. The only possible response is therefore to sneer at it and anyone who had the temerity to enjoy it.

It was very enjoyable. It was exactly what it claimed to be. Job done. If it happens again this year I'll definitely go.

Now, resume your mindless and endless listing of bands who might play at EP 2017, no matter how ludicrous it might be.

"I see Depeche Mode are playing in Argentina on the Friday, it's only a 16-hour flight via Madrid, so they're not ruled out yet..."

Etc etc.

Jawohl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Jenny Greene didn't sit well with some of the obsessive EP freaks on this board because the gig committed the cardinal sin of being popular. The only possible response is therefore to sneer at it and anyone who had the temerity to enjoy it.

It was very enjoyable. It was exactly what it claimed to be. Job done. If it happens again this year I'll definitely go.

Pointless advertising an orchestra when they weren't audible. Glad people enjoyed it, but I'd wager the live musicians are unaware that they had zero impact. Missed opportunity, as opposed to the Trinity Orchestra stuff which has worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Depeche Mode announced the US leg of their tour, come EP time they'll be very very far away so scratch them off the wish list.

Surprised they've skipped here and they've only one proper large date in the UK on the tour.

Franz Ferdinand will be doing the rounds in yurp though so could be a likely contender.

Depeche Mode always add on a 3rd leg of arenas after America so pretty sure they will play Dublin and other uk city's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Actually never realised until you said it that it was a very stripped down set up for Muse and it could easily work at EP

I prefer that over pyrotechnics and big props floating around above the crowd. It's not like they haven't got the tunes so they should just let the music do the talking. That video gives me the feels, take me back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Techo wrote: »
    Away from the lineup for a sec but does anyone know if another batch of Campervan tickets come up for sale at some stage? Probably being more hopeful than realistic. Don't suppose anyone has one booked and now can't go? Happy to take if off yer hands!!

Same thing happened last year. There were plenty on toutless the week before. Don't panic, it will happen for you but it will be in the last week probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭bergipau

Techo wrote: »
    Away from the lineup for a sec but does anyone know if another batch of Campervan tickets come up for sale at some stage? Probably being more hopeful than realistic. Don't suppose anyone has one booked and now can't go? Happy to take if off yer hands!!

Same thing happened last year. There were plenty on toutless the week before. Don't panic, it will happen for you but it will be in the last week probably.

No more will be released. I Agree with the above. Every year there is a big panic for camper tickets and the go for crazy money. Wait until the week before and you will pick one up easy. They never post out the camper passes until very close to the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Completely agree but with the reaction she got last year and apparently amazing (I didn't see it) I could see them coming back again and I'd imagine relatively cheap act correct me if I'm wrong??
    most people that I know that went thought it was kind of **** tbh.
    couldn't hear the orchestra at all, and the songs were only ok. I was excited for it but it wasn't that great all really.

the Pete Tong Ibiza Classics one months before it seemed much better, not to mention Jeff Mills and various others who have done similar too. by the way Jenny Greene and 2FM were going on you'd think she invented orchestras playing along to popular music.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

Possibility ..........
    Muse
    MGMT
    Justice
    London Grammer
    Liam Gallagher
    James

😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Graham1978 wrote: »
    Possibility ..........
    Muse
    MGMT
    Justice
    London Grammer
    Liam Gallagher
    James

😊

Kasabian AND Liam Gallagher now rumoured. Ppl will lose their sh*t on here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Kasabian AND Liam Gallagher now rumoured. Ppl will lose their sh*t on here lol

Not really, we had the Liam Gallagher session a few weeks back, it was actually fairly well mannered and ended pretty quickly.

He's announced a few dates, not a massive tour though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Graham1978 wrote: »
    Possibility ..........
    Muse
    MGMT
    Justice
    London Grammer
    Liam Gallagher
    James

😊

MGMT appear to just be booked for festivals in US and Canada, no European dates yet.
    I've never seen them live but would love to for the nostalgic trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭glencurtis252

Not really, we had the Liam Gallagher session a few weeks back, it was actually fairly well mannered and ended pretty quickly.

I mentioned him a few weeks ago definitely see him as a high possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Etc etc.

You're being a bit harsh there, what really drives most mad (me included) is recognition vs talent. Jenny and the RTE orchestra are the perfect contrast of high vs low talent. Look up the track listing of any Ibiza 98 CD, and thats a Jenny Greene show in a nutshell! Dosent require, thought practice or talent, anybody anywhere could have done it!

She exclaimed "that the show was put together in a short amount of time" did **** all! Other than turn up, you might as well be cheering the security guard!! I'D say the poor people in the Orchestra had bleeding fingers with the practice over such a short space of time, barely acknowledged them.

When you put anyone up on a pedestal, (through no fault of their own) it really goes against the grain, most end up completely revolting, where they may have tolerated previously. Jenny is a classic example of this, Mumford and sons being another.
    Id love to see similar minus Jenny!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Wooderson

It was a Tong knock off. Simple. V Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Fatfrog wrote: »
    You're being a bit harsh there, what really drives most mad (me included) is recognition vs talent. Jenny and the RTE orchestra are the perfect contrast of high vs low talent. Look up the track listing of any Ibiza 98 CD, and thats a Jenny Greene show in a nutshell! Dosent require, thought practice or talent, anybody anywhere could have done it!

She exclaimed "that the show was put together in a short amount of time" did **** all! Other than turn up, you might as well be cheering the security guard!! I'D say the poor people in the Orchestra had bleeding fingers with the practice over such a short space of time, barely acknowledged them.

When you put anyone up on a pedestal, (through no fault of their own) it really goes against the grain, most end up completely revolting, where they may have tolerated previously. Jenny is a classic example of this, Mumford and sons being another.
    Id love to see similar minus Jenny!!

Yeah Jenny Greene's show on 2 FM tends to be full of that trancey sh1t really I much prefer Kelly-Anne Byrne, a DJ that really is hard working and really should deserve more credit than Greene.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Snarky Snark Snark

I mentioned him a few weeks ago definitely see him as a high possibility

yes, yes you did, really don't see him as that, his profile is pants, we had the talented brother last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It was pants. I went optimistically, having enjoyed the Pete Tong BBC gig on de telly. No problem with popularity, but this simply didn't deliver the goods. Carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

alastair wrote: »
    It was pants. I went optimistically, having enjoyed the Pete Tong BBC gig on de telly. No problem with popularity, but this simply didn't deliver the goods. Carry on.

Fair enough. Although Pete Tong did his in the Royal Albert Hall and not a tent in Laois, so he had a head start in terms of sound quality and acoustics....

It wasn't some seismic music event, it was a bit of cheesy fun, and I wouldn't expect everyone to enjoy it. Just annoys me when posters start sneering at it and the people who went because it doesn't fit their idea of what EP "should" be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

alastair wrote: »

Fair enough. Although Pete Tong did his in the Royal Albert Hall and not a tent in Laois, so he had a head start in terms of sound quality and acoustics....

It wasn't some seismic music event, it was a bit of cheesy fun, and I wouldn't expect everyone to enjoy it. Just annoys me when posters start sneering at it and the people who went because it doesn't fit their idea of what EP "should" be.
    No sneering. Glad people enjoyed it. I think the issue we have is that it wasn't what we expected and should have been a whole lot better. 
    Take away the CD, take away Jenny Green and just allow the orchestra to be heard. Maybe not so great to dance to, but it could have been a bit special. As it was we were just played Now That's What I Call Ibiza 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'm always curious here, why do festivals never announce on weekends, bar maybe Friday, it always seems to be during the week or mid-week or occasionally a Friday afternoon. All the forums go quiet during the weekend and kick back on the Monday evening, although Efestivals has a bit of life about it.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The goal of the announcement is media coverage, you do better on that announcing midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Don't remember any sneering. It's kinda reverse snobbery to assume people didn't like it just because it was popular, no? And at the time it was treated like some seismic music event, by Greene herself and gushing media. I remember seeing it dubbed as "the gig of the weekend"

Don't remember any sneering. It's kinda reverse snobbery to assume people didn't like it just because it was popular, no? And at the time it was treated like some seismic music event, by Greene herself and gushing media. I remember seeing it dubbed as "the gig of the weekend"

In fairness, while it wasn't the gig of the weekend, the atmosphere in the tent was excellent and they were queuing pretty deep outside to get in. From the Picnic's point of view it was something new. I'd love to see more of that kind of thing -as long as they dont rehash the exact same thing (as they seem to be intent on doing)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I enjoyed it, and if it or something similar was on this year I'd go again.
    It does look like she's been milking it though.
    I'm sure she does more than press play but I can't see what it is.

Snarky Snark Snark

I'm sure she does more than press play but I can't see what it is.

There's probably a fair amount of prep work involved in track selection to balance what the singers can do live vs the orchestra and then arrangements and acoustic setup. Unfortunately for ms green it does make it look like she just rocks up and presses play. I couldn't hear the strings at all from where I was.

That said, de kiddies loved it and loads enjoyed it so what could go to something new will likely be a repeat (esp. if they want to keep RTÉ onboard and happy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

That said, de kiddies loved it

Exactly what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Exactly what I'm talking about.

Why only quote one part of his sentence and leave out the rest? There was nothing sneery about his post at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Do the organisers actually care what RTE think? Is much actually shown on TV? I've never watched it since I'm always at it.

Snarky Snark Snark

MadYaker wrote: »
    Do the organisers actually care what RTE think? Is much actually shown on TV? I've never watched it since I'm always at it.

The amount shown depends on the band but it would be a very valuable reach into homes to help build the brand up further, gotta have the teenagers watching so that they get the desire to go when they're old enough.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »

Builds brand awareness, makes EP the most important event of the Summer. Helps to ensure ticket sales but also helps to generate additional sponsorship revenues.

Advertisement