Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Beastie Boys, Bjork & LCD Soundsystem in 2007 were tremendous, but the Sunday "secret" Beasties show was pretty special.
    That was some year - also had the Stooges, Mary Chain, Good Bad & Queen, MIA, Primal Scream, Sonic Youth, Manics, Fall & many other goodies. Didn't realise how good it was at the time. Got spoiled by 2005 into expecting mega lineups every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Kraftwerk, Royksopp, LCD Soundsytem, Toots & the Maytals (2005). Bjork, Hot Chip, Iggy Pop & the Stooges (2007). Pfunk, My Bloody Valentine, Underworld (2008). 2ManyDJs Loads of my mates came down from Galway so can't really remember who I saw that year(2009). Fever Ray (tripped out tae fcuk), PIL, Crystal Castles and Bloody Beetroots (2010). Jimmy Cliff, Boys Noize, Pulp (2011). Richie Hawtin, Squarepusher, Orbital, Bat for Lashes, Lee Scratch Perry (for all Lee Perry's yarbling he had a beautiful tight band and did some classics like Roast Fish and Cornbread)(2012). Bjork, The Knife, David Byrne and St Vincent, Robert Plant (mind blowing)(2013).  Portishead, Beck, Chic and FKA Twigs (2014).  Jon Hopkins, Blur, Underworld, Tame Impala among others (2015). New Order, Daniel Avery, LCD Soundsystem, King Kong Company (2016).  Whew! that took a while to get through.
    That's a list and a half. Add Tame Impala & The Knife to mine, both class.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    That was some year - also had the Stooges, Mary Chain, Good Bad & Queen, MIA, Primal Scream, Sonic Youth, Manics, Fall & many other goodies. Didn't realise how good it was at the time. Got spoiled by 2005 into expecting mega lineups every year.

Fccccuuuuk forgot about Sonic Youth, they were blinding, amazing stuff.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Not to derail the highlights talk but does anyone have any really quirky Picnic memories?

Remember Scary Eire doing an impromptu gig from the back of a horse box in one of the car parks on the Friday night in 2005 which was brilliant. There were a few bands playing in the car parks that night too(only the campsites were open on the Friday). Stereo MC's kicked off the main stage then on the Saturday.

Remember really enjoying Super Furry Animals acoustic bingo in 2006 too despite being in an absolute state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Robyn 2010 in the early Saturday afternoon probably my favourite set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Beastie Boys, Bjork & LCD Soundsystem in 2007 were tremendous, but the Sunday "secret" Beasties show was pretty special.

2007 was a brilliant year. Not a fan but the feeling in the tent when Erasure did "Sometimes" was something special.

Both Beasties shows will live long in the memory. We were spoiled rotten by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Here's my bakers dozen fave shows from 8 or 9 visits to Stradbally.

1. Beasties
    2. Portishead
    3. Chic '09
    4. Pistols
    5. Grace Jones '15
    6. The Good The Bad & The Queen
    7. Wilco
    8. Gang of Four
    9. Clor
    10. Sonic Youth
    11. Terry Callier
    12. Lemon Jelly
    13. LCD '16

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

..and FKA Twigs (2014)

Was that the year she cancelled due to illness or am I thinking of someone else? Pretty nice list all the same. We must have crossed paths at some stage down there, your list could double for mine those years :pac:

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Was that the year she cancelled due to illness or am I thinking of someone else? Pretty nice list all the same. We must have crossed paths at some stage down there, your list could double for mine those years :pac:

I know she cancelled one of these years so perhaps it was 2015 when I saw her, yep it was actually 2015.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I think she was supposed to play either just before or immediately after Jungle who I definitely did see & probably why it twigged with me.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Gorrilaz would be met with a massive "who?" from 90% of the Longitude crowd.

Well you would just punch the 90% and go ya fecking numptie, you don't know who Gorrilaz is?

This post has been deleted.

Hey man give the Rave in the woods some respect, we had Ben Klock, Joy Orbison, Sunil Sharpe and the like playing there, its what the Picnic done with it in the last year or two that it went to sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

David Byrne and St Vincent, Beck, tune yards(body and souls stage)
    Funny, saw all 3 & couldn't argue. Brilliant! Never really heard of Tuneyards much before.
    Bjork was spine chillingly brilliant.
    808 State rocked in Little Big Tent.
    Slowdive were superb.
    Gil Scott-Heron
    I could go on....!

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

mgkelly wrote:
    Funny, saw all 3 & couldn't argue. Brilliant! Never really heard of Tuneyards much before. Bjork was spine chillingly brilliant. 808 State rocked in Little Big Tent. Slowdive were superb. Gil Scott-Heron I could go on....!

Ooh man that Bjork show was special.
    What a journey.
    Sigur Ros
    Both arcade fire and lcd gigs.
    Amadou and Mariam
    Shamir body and soul
    Razhel
    Beasties
    Portishead
    Chic

Just so so many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

mgkelly wrote: »
    Funny, saw all 3 & couldn't argue. Brilliant! Never really heard of Tuneyards much before.
    Bjork was spine chillingly brilliant.
    808 State rocked in Little Big Tent.
    Slowdive were superb.
    Gil Scott-Heron
    I could go on....!

Martin

Thunderbolt: "May I? Can I? Or have I too often craving miracles?", I thought she was saying marakas, was on good drugs that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

reading these last few comments about highlights over the years. I have been to every EP and for the life of me I have no idea how I missed 808 State and Lemon Jelly ....

Highlights for me:
    All the LCD Soundsystem sets
    Tune Yards also
    Gary Numan
    Beasties x 2
    Underworld Main Stage (about 4 years ago?)
    Edit: First time Hot Chip played

As an aside, I skipped Sonic Youth for Dan Le Sac and Scroobius Pip in some tiny tent somewhere (Minefield maybe) with about 25 other people. I remember him saying how pleased he was with the turn out considering Sonic Youth were on at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

I would love to see jamiroquai at this years festival and think its likely they'll play, pity aphex twin is playing at forbidden fruit, would much rather see him at picnic

Highlights for me, include but not limited to
    Chic
    Yasiin Bey
    Nicky Siano
    Omar Soulyman
    Wu-Tang Clan
    Nao
    Sample Answer (other voices)
    Ben Klock
    Joy O

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Ed Sheeran released his US tour dates - he wont be playing Electric Picnic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,730 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Muir wrote: »

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Muir wrote: »

Dont think Ed was ever going to play EP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

...........and they said that about Sam Smith, so bullet dodged there folks :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Ah but Ed is a way more popular then Sam tbf, Plus the price difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

It was never very likely that Ed would play EP this year, though.
    When they announced his tour dates, including the 3Arena shows, they billed it as an arena tour, which would be followed by a stadium tour next year.
    Glasto is the exception by the looks of it.
    Expect Croker 2018 for Ed, so I'd say EP is off the hook for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Ah but Ed is a way more popular then Sam tbf, Plus the price difference

True but both are excruciatingly ************* :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

EOTR additions today:

Bill Callahan
    Slowdive
    Japandroids
    Pond
    Baxter Dury
    Waxahatchee
    The Moonlandingz
    Moses Sumney
    Timber Timbre
    Alex Cameron
    Daniel Romano
    Blanck Mass
    Allison Crutchfield and The Fizz
    Aldous Harding
    Mdou Moctar
    PWR BTTM
    Jonathan Toubin (DJ)
    The Surfing Magazines
    Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever
    Lowly
    H. Hawkline
    Lowtide
    Tides Of Man

announced so far:
    C6dvE34WQAYH22_.jpg:medium

Home Festival in Italy happening between August 30th till September 3rd, so far Moderat and Liam Gallagher have been announced, watch this space for more acts that may grace the EP stage too. I know Moderat is doing Forbidden Fruit but they have been regular visitors to Ireland what with SiriusModeSelektor and the recent standalone shows in Dublin and at Metropolis festival last year. Once the embargo at Forbidden Fruit is reached, they could still be a late announcement to EP unless they are booked for a festival in the US in the same weekend. Would love to see them back as I missed them in 2009.

http://www.homefestival.eu/it/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LimboSlice

Stormzy the Friday headliner for Longitude. Hopefully this means EP nabbed the XX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭glencurtis252

Stormzy to headline Friday of longitude. I would imagine to many people's delight on here!!

Advertisement