Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Ruchie Hawtin has a new show touring festivals and playing U.K. weekend before

I hope 'Ruchie Hawtin' is an Irish tribute act based on Richie Hawtin MK1, complete with bald head and spectacles, and M_nus (;)) the asymmetrical haircut and tech house playlist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

I'm not a huge Kasabian fan but I'd like to see them headline one of the days. A no-nonsense rock band playing late at night on the main stage. Sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

One night in the Olympia sold out next week won't be enough to mean no EP. If anything it makes them more likely in my book.
    Paddy2012 wrote: »
    Yeah, I can't see that being their only Irish date this year. I think they're very likely to play now.

They have a habit of doing small warm-up shows ahead of bigger ones.

They played Cork Opera House before a big show at Marley Park a few years ago, if I recall correctly.

Not saying they'll necessarily play EP because they're playing the Olympia, but I definitely wouldn't rule them on the basis that they are.

The only thing I'd say, though, is that the timing of the announcements would be a bit funny if their standalone gig and their festival slot were announced (and sold out) within a few days of eachother.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Doubt they will be in the first announcement since the olympia date goes onsale the day after EP announce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Doubt they will be in the first announcement since the olympia date goes onsale the day after EP announce

Your probably right, but it probably wouldnt matter if they did. EP will be sold in anhour and they have enough fans in Ireland to sell out a gig after that. I guess the other option is a quick sell out of the Olympia and either annouce a second Olympia gig or one in the Marquee,or both. That would probably rule them out of EP.

I'm not a fan, but i could see myself strolling over for half and hour.

• Advertisement

Your probably right, but it probably wouldnt matter if they did. EP will be sold in anhour and they have enough fans in Ireland to sell out a gig after that. I guess the other option is a quick sell out of the Olympia and either annouce a second Olympia gig or one in the Marquee,or both. That would probably rule them out of EP.

I'm not a fan, but i could see myself strolling over for half and hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭Charlie

Would Flume be big enough to headline? Have a feeling he'll be on the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Charlie wrote: »

I wouldn't think he'd be big enough to headline but say he is likely to be on the line up somewhere. He is playing a lot of European festivals around EP time.

I'd say a few of the following are likely, all playing multiple European festivals in August/Sept and free the weekend of EP.

The XX
    Flume
    London Grammar
    At the Drive In
    Danny Brown
    PJ Harvey
    Car Seat Headrest
    Vince Staples
    George Ezra
    Michael Kiwanuka
    The Flaming Lips
    Major Lazer
    Bastille
    Interpol
    Sampha
    Jagwar Ma
    Angel Olsen
    Julia Jacklin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Mcd accounts press release says 80% of tickets sold. Essentially there are enough tickets for a gig in the point left for the day they go back on sale. They won't last an hour post announcement.

The MCD PR team can send the cheque to me for driving a buying frenzy.

Is that press release up online somewhere? Would be curious to have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Charlie wrote: »

I wouldn't think he'd be big enough to headline but say he is likely to be on the line up somewhere. He is playing a lot of European festivals around EP time.

I'd say a few of the following are likely, all playing multiple European festivals in August/Sept and free the weekend of EP.

The XX
    Flume
    London Grammar
    At the Drive In
    Danny Brown
    PJ Harvey
    Car Seat Headrest
    Vince Staples
    George Ezra
    Michael Kiwanuka
    The Flaming Lips
    Major Lazer
    Bastille
    Interpol
    Sampha
    Jagwar Ma
    Angel Olsen
    Julia Jacklin
    Please make it happen. Was bored by him on his last visit. But that was before Love & Hate which I think is a near-masterpiece. Nice late slot in the EA would be ideal, no main stage repeat if we're lucky.

• Advertisement

Useless exercise number 17. An occasional series. This time I'm putting in my wish list for EP as little else to do until Thursday. Five/six of these turn up and I'm happy. Any others out there with hopeful lists?

Radiohead
    Jesus & Mary Chain
    Interpol
    Michael Kiwanuka
    Lucinda Williams
    Arab Strap
    PJ Harvey
    Leftfield
    DJ Shadow
    The Moonlandingz
    Father John Misty
    The Lemon Twigs
    Nadine Shah
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Mac Demarco

A bonus would be Bastille & Major Lazer being excluded, but I fear that boat has already sailed.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Is that press release up online somewhere? Would be curious to have a look!

It was quoted in the Examiner today along with their results. Just a passing reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Peesh89 wrote: »
    Kasabian announced for Olympia in April..

One night in the Olympia sold out next week won't be enough to mean no EP. If anything it makes them more likely in my book.

was never a huge fan of theirs, but saw them in the SeaPoint in Galway a few weeks before they headlined Glasto, and it was a fantastic gig...really great. So while they wouldnt be my first choice, they have enough to make an ok heqdliner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Useless exercise number 17. An occasional series. This time I'm putting in my wish list for EP as little else to do until Thursday. Five/six of these turn up and I'm happy. Any others out there with hopeful lists?

Radiohead
    Jesus & Mary Chain
    Interpol
    Michael Kiwanuka
    Lucinda Williams
    Arab Strap
    PJ Harvey
    Leftfield
    DJ Shadow
    The Moonlandingz
    Father John Misty
    The Lemon Twigs
    Nadine Shah
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Mac Demarco

A bonus would be Bastille & Major Lazer being excluded, but I fear that boat has already sailed.

Ha, rock solid on the Radiohead still. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Deadmau5 announced as a co-headliner for Bennicassim today, I'd say he is unlikely for EP but I would much rather him than Major Lazer!

Gizabitadat! Deadmau5 would be class

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Went to see Lee Scratch Perry at the Roisin Dubh in Galway last Thursday, a splendid gig, a super tight band and Mr Perry in super tight form, it put me into that summer vibe feeling akin to the Sunday afternoon at the main stage and the Trenchtown craic. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Why are some so sure major lazer will play? I know they're doing leeds and reading, which is also festival Republic, but they're very different festivals and crowds. They're huge & mainstream in every continent now I'd imagine their fee is cossasal, its a case of money that could be used elsewhere. Hopefully they won't play

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Why are some so sure major lazer will play? I know they're doing leeds and reading, which is also festival Republic, but they're very different festivals and crowds. They're huge & mainstream in every continent now I'd imagine their fee is cossasal, its a case of money that could be used elsewhere. Hopefully they won't play
    Shortage of dance acts definitely touring at that time of the year. Only them & Justice doing festivals from what I can see.

Leftfield a possibility but thus far they're only down for Camp Bestival in late July and a band member told me two weeks ago that they'd not yet been booked for Ireland. That may have changed, but I'm thinking of Major Lazer as a big possibility, and unfortunately a far bigger draw for punters than Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Shortage of dance acts definitely touring at that time of the year. Only them & Justice doing festivals from what I can see.

Yeah it seems as if Justice and Major Lazer are the two main contenders for the main stage dance act. Justice are playing at a festival in Italy on the Friday night of EP so if they are playing it would have to be the Saturday or Sunday.

No guarantee they will book anyone as they might end up not even booking a main stage dance act this year like in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

My main hopes for Thursday:
    A Tribe Called Quest
    The XX
    PJ Harvey
    Hessle Audio (long shot?)

3 of these would be success

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Had a dream they did a Glasto-style reveal of the entire bill.

Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem and Moderat topped a bill that had Sigur Rose, A Tribe Called Quest, Interpol, PJ Harvey, Chemical Brothers and about 100 more.

Real life is never going to top that, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 supersonic94

This is a shot in the dark, but Metallica are starting their european tour on sept 4th and they didnt announce an irish gig. I could see them headlining EP on the 1st or 2nd. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭adam240610

This is a shot in the dark, but Metallica are starting their european tour on sept 4th and they didnt announce an irish gig. I could see them headlining EP on the 1st or 2nd. Any thoughts?

Would love this, I'm going to Nos alive as well as Ep, not enough rock or heavy music in nos as I'd like, hope ep isn't completely indie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I would love it but I think it's unlikely. They don't really do festivals anymore do they? I noticed that they had no irish dates alright which I thought was strange. They'd sell out Marley Park or a few nights in the 3 arena no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 supersonic94

They're playing arenas from sept to may in europe and no irish date, they havnt played Dublin since 2009 and its a worldwide tour of a new album, cant see them skipping Ireland again so EP could be a possibility. Have to wait and see I suppose!

IIRC they were asking questions about metal in the EP survey this year. I dont remember that before. Maybe there was a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

If they could afford them then it could be a runner. We do get Glastonbury headliner cast offs a year or two later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

MadYaker wrote: »
    I would love it but I think it's unlikely. They don't really do festivals anymore do they? I noticed that they had no irish dates alright which I thought was strange. They'd sell out Marley Park or a few nights in the 3 arena no problem.

Or the remaining Croke Park slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭glencurtis252

Never really listened to the xx before.. got the new album last week or so with all the talk of them potentionally headlining.. really can't see what all the fuss is about with them to be honest!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Mr.S wrote: »
    The first two albums are great, I really like the new one though.

They're fantastic live as well, the last EP show they did was one of my favourites. But I can see why some don't like them...!

Heard some very good things about one of their London gigs touring their new album recently.

Advertisement