Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Would he be so different from Outkast, A Tribe Called Quest, Mos Def, Wu Tang? A higher fee for sure, but less than previously and EP can afford it. I'd be happy to see him there.

Can't believe you forgot about Dre....

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

showpony1 wrote: »
    too hipster, needs more mainstream

Too hipster?? C'mon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Would he be so different from Outkast, A Tribe Called Quest, Mos Def, Wu Tang? A higher fee for sure, but less than previously and EP can afford it. I'd be happy to see him there.

That's a pretty stupid comment tbf. Are you saying all hip hop is the same/ attracts the exact same crowd?
    Very few Tribe/Mos Def etc. fans would be enthused about Eminem playing.
    Yes, I'm disagreeing with you and saying I believe that most fans of Tribe & Mos would be keen on Eminem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Do we have an inkling of the release time for the accused and to be slated?

Noon I think, apparently some pre-launch photo opportunity happening at 11.30 am.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Yes, I'm disagreeing with you and saying I believe that most fans of Tribe & Mos would be keen on Eminem.

And I suppose all fans of Metallica love Limp Bizkit?
    If you listen to Kraftwerk you must love David Guetta?
    This is fairly typical of people who only listen to 1 genre of music, that "all rap sounds the same" nonsense.

• Advertisement

This is fairly typical of people who only listen to 1 genre of music, that "all rap sounds the same" nonsense.

Ad hominem & rude, as per your previous comment regarding 'stupidity'. I won't retaliate.

Eminem is an enormously successful and, for me, brilliant proponent of the art of hip-hop. As are Wu Tang, Public Enemy, Nas, Mos Def & others who've played EP before. Thus I don't see him as being out of place there. In terms of popularity we had Outkast recently (who also headlined Coachella the same year) and the festival can afford him. He also has much of a shared lineage with the aforementioned acts and I'd expect fans of theirs to be keen on seeing him.

I'd similarly expect fans of Kraftwerk to want to see Neu or Metallica-heads to catch Slayer. Not much of a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Paddy2012

If only for his first two albums I think Eminem is still pretty credible among most hip hop fans

davywalsh7 wrote: »

Eminem is way more popular than the acts u mentioned there. There's no chance he's gonna be announced tomorrow.
    Outkast headlined Coachella. And I don't expect him to be announced, but it's a possibility as he's playing the smaller Glasgow fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I don't expect him to be announced, but it's a possibility as he's playing smaller fests.

He's undergoing a name change from Slim Shadey to Slim Pickens.

Ad hominem & rude, as per your previous comment regarding 'stupidity'. I won't retaliate.

Eminem is an enormously successful and, for me, brilliant proponent of the art of hip-hop. As are Wu Tang, Public Enemy, Nas, Mos Def & others who've played EP before. Thus I don't see him as being out of place there. In terms of popularity we had Outkast recently (who also headlined Coachella the same year) and the festival can afford him. He also has much of a shared lineage with the aforementioned acts and I'd expect fans of theirs to be keen on seeing him.

I'd similarly expect fans of Kraftwerk to want to see Neu or Metallica-heads to catch Slayer. Not much of a stretch.

Eminem is the most mainstream rapper in the world. His output since about 2004 has been more or less universally derided for being unimaginative and aimed at the lowest common denominator, but continues to sell well. He's a far cry from underground stars like Tribe, Mos Def etc who have never sold millions of albums, nor sold out to court mainstream success. He's closer in terms of popularity to being rated alongside Pitbull than Kano, because he resorts to similar tactics to achieve success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Got one of these yokes for my Xmas, will be using it at the festivals, just come with my own pack of coffee and use in the volunteering, free hot water and milk. A small portable coffee press come mug.

260912_13126_L.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dylar

ATCQ, Nas, Mos Def, Wu Tang etc are all 'golden-era' hip-hop groups. Eminem is completely removed from that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

think the launch was around 3pm last year?

the launch party at the venue was closer to 7, I assumed that where bands where announced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Most definitely not.

Ask any hardcore hip hop fan, Tribe or Eminem? .. there will be no pause in the response.

Dr. Dre has a lot to answer for!

Eminem is the most mainstream rapper in the world. His output since about 2004 has been more or less universally derided for being unimaginative and aimed at the lowest common denominator, but continues to sell well. He's a far cry from underground stars like Tribe, Mos Def etc who have never sold millions of albums, nor sold out to court mainstream success. He's closer in terms of popularity to being rated alongside Pitbull than Kano, because he resorts to similar tactics to achieve success.
    I agree about his post-2004 output, but I'd expect most of his set to be from his early years.
    In terms of most mainstream rapper J Cole & Drake have called to take issue with that.
    Selling millions ain't a crime. Nor a sign of impoverished artistry. We've had Wu Tang, Outkast & Nas in recent years, all of whom have sold well.
    I'd also rate Eminem's first three albums alongside the best of hip-hop in the past thirty years.

Dylar wrote: »

ATCQ, Nas, Mos Def, Wu Tang etc are all 'golden-era' hip-hop groups. Eminem is completely removed from that.
    Eminem recording at the same time as Nas & Mos Def. He recorded with the latter & clashed with the former though there seemed to be mutual respect. The guy probably got too huge, but the material he produced from 1999 to 2004 stands up and would go down very well at EP.

But as others say, I don't see it happening. It's just a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Outkast headlined Coachella. And I don't expect him to be announced, but it's a possibility as he's playing the smaller Glasgow fest.

Popularity in coachella doesn't necessarily relate to popularity here. For example no way do outkast sell out slane here. Anything is a possibility I guess but I reckon his size and demographic of electric picnic rule him out.

I agree about his post-2004 output, but I'd expect most of his set to be from his early years.
    In terms of most mainstream rapper J Cole & Drake have called to take issue with that.
    Selling millions ain't a crime. Nor a sign of impoverished artistry. We've had Wu Tang, Outkast & Nas in recent years, all of whom have sold well.
    I'd also rate Eminem's first three albums alongside the best of hip-hop in the past thirty years.
    Eminem's projected album sales are between 120-200 million. Only Kanye West and Jay Z are in that region as well, and I wouldn't expect either of them to be considered for EP either. All three have undoubted talent but their success is down marketability and knowing who to collaborate with more than simply great song writing.

Popularity in coachella doesn't necessarily relate to popularity here. For example no way do outkast sell out slane here. Anything is a possibility I guess but I reckon his size and demographic of electric picnic rule him out.
    He's playing the 35,000 Glasgow fest. and possibly other medium-sized European fests around then. EP at 55,000 can accommodate him. If the popular Major Lazer and expensive Stone Roses are both being discussed as a realistic possibility for the fest then why not Eminem? He's at least a possibility I think. In terms of headliners I reckon it's only The XX who are pretty nailed on which leaves two slots to be filled by Kasabian/Eminem/Roses/Muse, etc???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

He's playing the 35,000 Glasgow fest. and possibly other medium-sized European fests around then. EP at 55,000 can accommodate him. If the popular Major Lazer and expensive Stone Roses are both being discussed as a realistic possibility for the fest then why not Eminem? He's at least a possibility I think. In terms of headliners I reckon it's only The XX who are pretty nailed on.

I'm done arguing with you. He's not gonna be announced and if you think he is well just wait until tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

It was actually, if you had eclectic taste or an open mind.
    Oh it actually was if my taste was such and such.

I actually have eclectic taste and an open mind so back to you. Something doesn't compute.

Could it be that there's no such place for the word actually when discussing art as it's all down to personal taste?

And I thought I was a musical snob.

Eminem's projected album sales are between 120-200 million. Only Kanye West and Jay Z are in that region as well, and I wouldn't expect either of them to be considered for EP either. All three have undoubted talent but their success is down marketability and knowing who to collaborate with more than simply great song writing.
    I happen to think that the other two are potential future EP headliners also. Probably too expensive at the moment. I'd expect them to cost more than Eminem after their Glasto slots but I'm not sure. The festival is very inclusive in terms of genres (bar metal) and has the money to book at least one big act every year, probably two. I for one would be happy to see any of the three appear there.

He's playing the 35,000 Glasgow fest. and possibly other medium-sized European fests around then. EP at 55,000 can accommodate him. If the popular Major Lazer and expensive Stone Roses are both being discussed as a realistic possibility for the fest then why not Eminem? He's at least a possibility I think. In terms of headliners I reckon it's only The XX who are pretty nailed on.

I'm done arguing with you. He's not gonna be announced and if you think he is well just wait until tomorrow
    As before I said I don't think he will be. But the grounds on which he's ruled out don't hold water. But hey, let's hope for a line-up we're both pleased with tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭glencurtis252

Seen stone roses have been mentioned a couple of times.. are we classing them as a real possibility.. really hope so fingers, legs everything crossed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Placebo playing a lot of festivals this summer to as part of their 20 year anniversary tour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

"Middle of the Road, Mainstream, Hipster, Musical Snob, Personal Taste, Scobes.." - Announcement Bingo the last couple of pages, you'd know it's close. :D

The excitement seems to be making a few of you a little tetchy, play nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

My gut tells me that I wouldn't like Eminem to be announced, probably because of the crowd he could attract. But on the other hand he is one of few rappers that I would really enjoy and without doubt he would attract a massive crowd. I would think he's unlikely either way but who knows at this stage.

Lollapalooza line up came out today, I know it's the other side of the atlantic but plenty of names that have been discussed on here and also plenty of others who would be a great fit.

C7hIEsGXQAEOX2t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dylar

Eminem recording at the same time as Nas & Mos Def. He recorded with the latter & clashed with the former though there seemed to be mutual respect. The guy probably got too huge, but the material he produced from 1999 to 2004 stands up and would go down very well at EP.

But as others say, I don't see it happening. It's just a possibility.

Yeah the timings don't fit exactly, a lazy grouping on my part. I think most people who have explored/know the genre would have more respect for the others in terms of releasing seminal stuff but anyway everyone is entitled to there own tastes!

There's always a couple of hip - hop acts over the weekend and there's a good few around near EP. I hope we get a few from: Danby Brown, Run The Jewels, A Tribe Called Quest, Chance the Rapper, DJ Shadow...

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

I only heard the guy say many fans of Tribe and Mos would like Eminem. As someone who likes all three, who expects Tribe and Mos listeners to have a general interest in the rap genre (in its broadest sense), and thinks that Marshall Mathers is really quite an excellent album (if not quite in Low End Theory territory), I'd see their opinion as worthy of being heard rather than being dismissed as nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Dylar wrote: »

There's always a couple of hip - hop acts over the weekend and there's a good few around near EP. I hope we get a few from: Danby Brown, Run The Jewels, A Tribe Called Quest, Chance the Rapper, DJ Shadow...

RTJ are playing the Glasgow Summer Sessions also, so they're in the area!! Hoping they get announced aswell!

Advertisement