Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭stead

Poster clearly says complete line up

"Here is your first round of acts for Electric Picnic 2017!" from their facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭corm500

stead wrote: »
    It's going to be a sell out regardless of if the tickets are bought in January or August. They know this.

And that is reflected in the lineup. Why pay the big bucks for artists when it's gong to be a sell out anyhow. More money for the promoters pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

The more I look at it the happier I am, this just killed off the Oxygenation of EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LimboSlice

They will be most certainly be there, always playing the smaller festival stages.

Missed Overhead the albatross last year because they closed B&S on the Sunday (3am) and due to rain and exhaustion I couldn't force myself out of the tent. Would absolutely love to see them, perhaps a tad earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

kg703 wrote: »
    Well, it's not a bad line up, I guess people will give out (check out all the young ones on facebook going mental its brilliant) but I wouldnt be holding my breath for another big announcement - last year everyone held on for that last announcement and in the end I think the biggest name on it was Bellx1

No jamiroquai though :(

Really thought that would happen

Anyway, I will certainly enjoy it, half the fun of the place is finding random acts to watch

Yeah but we've got Chaka Khan.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Paddy2012

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Very poor headliners in fairness. Undercard solid already though

yep, I'd have expected bigger headliners, but xx/Tribe are great, and underneath is good too.

The xx
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Pete Tong's thing
    Interpol
    Run the Jewels
    Father John Misty
    London Grammar
    Band of Horses
    Soulwax
    Floating Points
    Kiasmos
    Vince Staples
    Mano Le Tough
    Young Fathers
    Car Seat Headrest
    Japandroids
    Real Estate

loads to keep me entertained, before the other announcements.

Yeah that undercard is excellent but I can understand the disappointment. I doubt many people under 30 would know anything by Duran Duran or ATCQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

MattD wrote: »
    The cynic in me says that Phoenix were booked, but once the festival was selling out, EP started cancelling some bigger undercards to get some money back...

Interpol put up a poster on there FB page. It's has Phoenix on the line-up listed right beside them.

Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

siblers wrote: »
    People say that all the time but from my own experience/taste, the initial announcement is usually the best, last 3 E.Ps..bands that were added later to the line up were nothing to get excited about

Weren't Blur in one of the later announcements the year they played?

Looks like room for another headliner or two still there.

Still though Duran Duran at the top of the line up, shouldn't they be on the Electric Ireland stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Poorside wrote: »
    The more I look at it the happier I am, this just killed off the Oxygenation of EP.

Thats very true. All of the chung wans wont be happy with that

Which is fine with me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The headliners are a probably smaller names than I'd expected, but there's a lot of acts in there I'd like to see so I'm ok with the announcement. It looks like a very deliberate move away from a younger crowd to me tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    Yeah that undercard is excellent but I can understand the disappointment. I doubt many people under 30 would know anything by Duran Duran or ATCQ

Duran Duran were to headline that festival in Kerry last year and now are to headline the biggest festival in the country? Lol

And how is that Pete tong sh1te regarded as one of the top acts. Abysmal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Qs wrote: »
    Weren't Blur in one of the later announcements the year they played?

Looks like room for another headliner or two still there.

Still though Duran Duran at the top of the line up, shouldn't they be on the Electric Ireland stage?

Headliners are announced, says it in black and white at the end of the poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Poster clearly says complete line up

"and many more to be announced"

You're on fire today chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Must admit I'm really liking that lineup, but then i bought my tickets ages ago and can't remember how much they cost even. I could do without Pete Tong and Chaka Khan myself.

Kinda hoping a lot of the younger crowd will be put off by that lineup and sell off their tickets (sorry young people!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

"and many more to be announced"

You're on fire today chief.

Gotta leave room for the comedians etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

LimboSlice wrote: »
    Missed Overhead the albatross last year because they closed B&S on the Sunday (3am) and due to rain and exhaustion I couldn't force myself out of the tent. Would absolutely love to see them, perhaps a tad earlier.

They were ok, wasn't blown away but that could have been due to running on empty at 3am Monday morning.

They've been announced for Vantastival already this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It's a crap line up

For comparison see what roughly the same price gets you in lollapalooza this year

https://www.lollapalooza.com/lineup/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Delighted with A Tribe Called Quest but I'm not sure about them as headliners. They have Sunday afternoon/evening written all over them, with a bit of sunshine on our backs. There's a good 7-8 acts there I'm looking forward to seeing, many more to be discovered, and of course there's gonna be plenty of DJs announced to satisfy my late night naughtiness. I'm really looking forward to it.

However.....

There's clearly a different booking policy these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

Ok. I'm still hopeful for Phoenix in 2nd round so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Synode wrote: »
    Are A Tribe Called Quest going to play the late night Saturday slot on the main stage. Can't see that working at all. Which means there's a really big hole there to be filled

That's my thinking, great legacy, but they are not goddamn headliners.

I'm expecting that line up to change a fair bit, there's a lot of fleshing out to do there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Poorside wrote: »
    doubt it, EP has become "piss-up in a field" for most of the new attendees over the last couple of years. from last year:

GECA7wS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It's a crap line up

For comparison see what roughly the same price gets you in lollapalooza this year

Not sure it's a fair comparison though. Cos Ireland's a small market, realistically we're basically relying on acts that are touring UK/Europe around the same time.

That being said I do think if organisers were willing they could get bigger acts. Dunno does that come down to greed or what.

Funny to see it selling out before 1 acts has been named seeing as they struggled to sell out a few years beforehand. Guess the lack of any competition in Ireland between big camping festivals has to help them.

It's a crap line up

No offense but I'm glad that's not the lineup, way too commercial/pop oriented for my tastes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

It's a crap line up

Also crap, just a lot more crap to choose from.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I feel the headliners kinda remind me of the "old school" type of bands (not a bad thing) , I agree none of those acts would appeal to young people and even the undercard bar Rag n Bone Man .

I do feel there is still one more headliner to come beside A Tribe Called Quest although they are headlining Bestival along with The XX .

Either way im happy with the line up glad to see Interpol , Rag n Bone Man , Madness , Band of Horses . Might catch The XX and if nothing else is on ill go see Duran Duran for the some dancing ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

I'm Every Woman is stuck in my head now!

For a particular age Tribe Called Quest are fantastic headliners. Maybe not the same ages that would also say the same for The XX or Duran Duran, but pretty close (I love Tribe and XX myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Last year the lineup was top heavy. Invested too much in the headline acts and the undercard was severely lacking in quality. There were times during the day and/or evening last year where I was struggling to find bands I wanted to see. Even in the tents during headline hours at nightime they had district 8 DJs etc filling the void. It was a poorly executed lineup. I'd much prefer a weaker headline act on the mainstage if it meant stronger acts spread throughout the festival. I think todays lineup is very decent. It'll grow as it does every year but it's a steady start.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Trible called quest will be ****ing excellent mark my words

xx while i do enjoy listening to their stuff are boring headliners ..... just dont think they translate to the festival

line up isnt terrible but im mid 30's so there ya go anyone 25 and under will be gutted

• Advertisement

Trible called quest will be ****ing excellent mark my words

xx while i do enjoy listening to their stuff are boring headliners ..... just dont think they translate to the festival

line up isnt terrible but im mid 30's so there ya go anyone 25 and under will be gutted

The XXs latest album is perfect headliner material.

Advertisement