Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

kg703 wrote: »
    The Facebook page is actually going to be the highlight of my day

New game - find best quote

I've never been to electric picnic and that's the reason why like who even are them artists like Duran Duran have they not pegged it yet oxygen was way better and always was better than electric picnic it's sh1te and always will be sh1te I'll feel sorry for anyone who bought tickets to go to that ya might aswell drink 3 bottles of vodka in shots maybe then it won't be to bad cause ya won't remember a f**king thing 😂😂😂

i raise you with:

God Gorillaz would be greeeeeeeat... never heard of a quest called tribe

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Paleblood wrote: »
    I love Fleet Foxes' Helpnessness Blues, and now I find out that Father John Misty was the drummer on it and in fact has his own outstanding solo career. That's what I love about the Picnic. One of the names that I scrolled over thinking "who?" is now on my absolute must-see list for the weekend.

I'm surprised you haven't come across FJM before. I think he's played Ireland a good few times and regularly appears on the festival circuit.

But I totally get your point. I 'found' Car Seat Headrest from the Coachella line up poster and now I love them. Check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

everlast75 wrote: »
    TXFM have been banging on for ages about FJM so will definitely line a few songs up to get used to

Are they still going??

Sure didnt they say last year that Sam Smith was also a headliner and Beck few years ago but they both played second last on the main stage

True, Blur were announced later. However, in that year were the original acts announced as Headliners? This year they have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Are they still going??

Sorry - past tense

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

MadYaker wrote: »
    And here we go again boys! Who was it people were predicting last year? Radiohead? Red Hot Chili Peppers? In the end we got Noel Gallagher. I'd imagine a similar status act this year, not quite a headliner but nearly. Not Kasabian or Muse or anyone like that.

I'm happy enough with that announcement. The headliners don't interest me much (Duran Duran wtf?) but the undercard already has loads of quality with more to come. I'm hoping Lorde gets added at some stage and maybe Prophets of Rage. I guess The xx are our Friday night dance headliner? I'd have preferred The Prodigy or Justice. I can already count 10 acts on that poster that I want to see.

I can see Stereophonics getting a similar slot to Noel/Manics this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Guessing Pete Tong is the midnight Saturday act? Hardly going to get a 60 piece orchestra into a tent or on the main stage for an hour.... Was secretly hoping for Leftfield doing Leftism

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Mr.S wrote: »
    I disagree, the last time they played EP was phenomenal.
    yep, one of my favourite EP main stage performances.

Synode wrote: »
    I like the xx. Decent tunes. But there's no way they'd hold my interest at a gig like EP. Unless they're live show is completely different

Their live show isn't much different although the latest album might make the set a little 'livelier'. I've seen them on a main stage and in a tent before. This might sound pouncy, but they are a band you have to engage with live. If you are standing at the back and chatting away then you'll probably get disinterested and wander off. I'd venture into the middle of things and some 'substances' would also increase your enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Duran Duran wtf?

I suspect they will be epic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Ughh, that feeling when you're trying to research a band and the bastards already have 6 albums out.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

**** it, i'm actually delighted with that, there's 16 acts there alone that I'm really happy about.

gonna have a blast!

have 16 on my list too-wanna share yours?!:D:P

Their live show isn't much different although the latest album might make the set a little 'livelier'. I've seen them on a main stage and in a tent before. This might sound pouncy, but they are a band you have to engage with live. If you are standing at the back and chatting away then you'll probably get disinterested and wander off. I'd venture into the middle of things and some 'substances' would also increase your enjoyment.

way more lively with the new album tour.
    some older songs re-worked and made dancier too, eg:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

One positive is that this lineup is definitely aimed at an older crowd. Duran Duran, Chaka Khan, The Pretenders etc, I don't have much interest in them, they were a bit before my time but hopefully it'll turn away the 16/17 year old crowd who shouldn't be there anyway but appeared to be out in force last year especially on Sunday and added to the Oxegen vibe which has been increasing every year. That's partly why I was praying for no Eminem or Major Lazer. It's a very un Oxegen lineup so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RustyDuck

Nothing I'm excited about but plenty I'm happy to go see. I'm sure there'll be plenty more good acts announced like every other year

SachaJ wrote: »
    Guessing Pete Tong is the midnight Saturday act? Hardly going to get a 60 piece orchestra into a tent or on the main stage for an hour.... Was secretly hoping for Leftfield doing Leftism
    that's a good shout. would probably be way too popular for a tent after the Jenny Greene thing, and would make more sense than A Tribe Called Quest and their 1 well-known song closing the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I know nobody here has a crystal ball but.. what's the likelihood of Goldfrapp being added?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Band of Horses
    Father Jon Misty
    Interpol
    Car Seat Headrest
    Japandroids
    Parquet Courts.

Cant complain with that...plus Duran Duran if just for A View to a Kill!

Like many other have said... great undercard ! ... am thrilled with this lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭deeks

I'm fairly thrilled with that announcement to be honest. The undercard is brilliant and plenty more of a similar status will be announced so will definitely have plenty to keep me busy.

If anyone from Festival Republic is reading this can we please have Interpol as an EA Headliner rather than subheadlining on the Main Stage :):) Thank You

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Very happy with that line up! Not what I expected at all but there are a lot of acts there that I haven't seen before and would really like to see. Probably the first year where I will realistically go and see all 5 of the headline acts.

Pete Tong is a strange one to have as a headliner (prob gonna close main stage on Saturday?) but I'd say it would still be an enjoyable gig. Undercard is strong and really looking forward to London grammar, soulwax, kiasmos, floating points, madness, mano le tough. Still more to come no doubt but that is a good start in my book and I am a very happy camper today 😊

Wonder what happened with Phoenix? Seem to remember something similar happening with Chromeo in 2014... they were never included in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

the line-up is a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

showpony1 wrote: »

yeah yeah, flog yer ticket so.

do you actually have a ticket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

showpony1 wrote: »

I'm sure it's a disgrace to those who solely listen to the Top 40 hits and whose favourite bands are KOL and The Killers.

Wonder what happened with Phoenix? Seem to remember something similar happening with Chromeo in 2014... they were never included in the end.
    more thank likely cancelled, that's usually what happens in similar situations. I know D'Angelo was listed on the Glastonbury website for a while last year but never happened.
    could be that they're not officially signed off or being held back for the next announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

RTE must be running off the leaked lineup as they still mention Phoenix:

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2017/0323/861935-the-xx-a-tribe-called-quest-and-duran-duran-for-ep/
    Across the weekend Interpol, Phoenix, Run The Jewels, London Grammar, Rag 'n' Bone Man, Madness, Father John Misty and The Divine Comedy are also set to take to the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭Charlie

For all the Oxygen bashing, it's hard to not look a some of the lineups from when it was at its peak, and wonder where the fcuk are Festival Republic spending their money at EP???

I'm not advocating at all a move to an Oxygen lineup, but with the prices EP charge, something doesn't add up. People will claim that it's a result of big acts not being available for Ireland, but the Oxygen lineups disprove that, massively.

Solid undercard, but the XX aside, those headliners absolutely reek of cheapening out. A headliner should be someone that you'd be paying top whack to see in the Three, not someone who would play the Olympia (Duran Duran, Tribe, Chaka Khan etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Not a bad first lineup... personally would be interested in seeing The XX, Interpol, London Grammar, Madness, The Divine Comedy, Band of Horses, Floating Points.... Duran Duran, Pete Tong and The Pretenders could be fun too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

(Duran Duran wtf?)

In an Ordinary World that would be a Notorious booking, but if we can Hold Back the Rain we'll be partying like we're in Rio, and with the smart phones out the Girls on Film will Come Undone on White Lines, hopefully showing a bit of Skin Trade to all of us Wild Boys at the back, with our beers in the hand, cocks in the pocket and Hungry Like the Wolf.

• Advertisement

I'm sure it's a disgrace to those who solely listen to the Top 40 hits and whose favourite bands are KOL and The Killers.

I think it was showpony who was going on about Calvin feckin Harris a few months back. Says it all really.

Advertisement