Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Paleblood wrote: »
    White Lines

If they murder that song live, then my weekend will be made, that's it, shows over folks, nothing more to see hear, that's as good as it can get (in the most mental deranged fashion going)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Charlie wrote: »
    For all the Oxygen bashing, it's hard to not look a some of the lineups from when it was at its peak, and wonder where the fcuk are Festival Republic spending their money at EP???

I'm not advocating at all a move to an Oxygen lineup, but with the prices EP charge, something doesn't add up. People will claim that it's a result of big acts not being available for Ireland, but the Oxygen lineups disprove that, massively.

Solid undercard, but the XX aside, those headliners absolutely reek of cheapening out. A headliner should be someone that you'd be paying top whack to see in the Three, not someone who would play the Olympia (Duran Duran, Tribe, Chaka Khan etc.)

There's a ****load of other festivals diluting the pool that weren't there in the past.

In the last month Orbital, Moderat, Aphex Twin, Air, Nicolas Jaar, Primal Scream, Bon Iver & Brian Wilson have been announced for other festivals, all of which would have been Electric Picnic fodder a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Duran Duran is the type of band you roll your eyes at. But fast forward 6 months and your eyes will be rolling, your jaw will be swinging and you'll wonder what you were worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I suspect they will be epic
    I'm looking forward to them myself.
    A bit surprised they're headliners though. Didn't they have to cancel an event they were part of a few years ago in killarney cos they only sold 3K tickets?
    In any case they'll be good fun.

Chaka Khan, Pretenders and Madness will also be good.

Very happy with real estate and parquet courts too.

Solid start, and there'll be plenty more to add to that over the next 5 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

I think the line up is pretty good.

Check out Kiasmos if you havent already, they're amazing, were the highlight of B&S a couple of years back.

I'd say 2ManyDJs will be added seeing as they're already there playing as Soulwax, but just as a DJ set and not the full live show they do.

I'm still hoping Jon Hopkins will be added later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

BOHtox wrote: »
    412559.jpeg

I should add: got sent this suggesting it was a leak. I'm not claiming that, it's just what yer man said who put it in my whatsapp. I tend not to believe these things at all. Very good lineup all the same though. I hope the real one is that good

Comment was 12 hours before the announcement, your source was bang on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

BOHtox wrote: »
    412559.jpeg

I should add: got sent this suggesting it was a leak. I'm not claiming that, it's just what yer man said who put it in my whatsapp. I tend not to believe these things at all. Very good lineup all the same though. I hope the real one is that good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Fatfrog wrote: »

Phoenix seem to have dropped off the official poster though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's fair enough to criticise lineup if people aren't happy with it. I don't buy the whole 'but you'll be dancing away to them when it comes round' etc etc regardless of the act, no festival could ever be criticised in anyway then. The under card isn't bad but not as strong as previous years, and held up even when the main eventers were pretty poor like this year. Will see what the added acts will be throughout the next few months. Not a great announcement imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Sandwell

A dire line up, full of middle-of-the-road indie, washed up 80s acts and Topshop dance music. I'd like to see Quest and Vince Staples but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Sandwell wrote: »
    A dire line up, full of middle-of-the-road indie, washed up 80s acts and Topshop dance music. I'd like to see Quest and Vince Staples but that's about it.

you must be solely into top 40 hits according to people on here if you don't like the line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Bit underwhelmed but looking forward to it all the same...wouldn't have minded a bit of Nick Cave, PJ Harvey or Leftfield in there. Maybe we'll get them in the next round?
    I'll probably park the Camper down there on Thursday night & not head back until the Sat to see Interpol and then Q-tip & the biys.
    Hopefully the weather will be better this year- anyone dare make a forecast prediction ;) ??!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

One improvement this year was that the organisers actually announced the Sunday headliner straight away without day trippers having to guess or wait until 1 week prior to see who'll be playing.

Bit of a massive cluster f**k with tickets being sold out prior to the announcement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

showpony1 wrote: »
    you must be solely into top 40 hits according to people on here if you don't like the line-up.

showpony I don't think you understand the Picnic, its always been a retro fest, maybe not as much as Rewind Festival, but will appeal to people in their mid thirties onward, I'm in my early fifties myself. Will probably go for a peek of Duran Duran, I liked what I heard of Tribe Called Quest. Father John Misty, London Grammar, Madness, The Pretenders, Divine Comedy, Fecking SOULWAX!, Run The Jewels, Car Seat Headrest and soul and funk diva Chaka Khan among others. Thats 11 so far which is good going for first announcement.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

LG1234 wrote: »
    I think the line up is pretty good.

Check out Kiasmos if you havent already, they're amazing, were the highlight of B&S a couple of years back.

I'd say 2ManyDJs will be added seeing as they're already there playing as Soulwax, but just as a DJ set and not the full live show they do.

I'm still hoping Jon Hopkins will be added later.

just up my street.... saw John Hopkins 2 years ago at ep..was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I know people are not happy with the initial line up, but I don't think there's ever been a year where everyone liked the initial line up and I'd really worry if everyone was happy.

Look back at previous years and the final line up posters, the under card will double by the time we get around to it, there's a lot of tents to fill and a lot of main stage supporting acts to come, we've not seen anything there that's massively dancey yet.

If the weather is decent this year, i think it could be one of the best yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I know people are not happy with the initial line up, but I don't think there's ever been a year where everyone liked the initial line up and I'd really worry if everyone was happy.

Look back at previous years and the final line up posters, the under card will double by the time we get around to it, there's a lot of tents to fill and a lot of main stage supporting acts to come, we've not seen anything there that's massively dancey yet.

If the weather is decent this year, i think it could be one of the best yet.

Love the positivity!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

+1 on the Kiasmos love. I have seen them twice now, both times fantastic.

Also their debut album is one of my favourites of the last 5 years. An absolute belter of a record.

showpony I don't think you understand the Picnic, its always been a retro fest, maybe not as much as Rewind Festival, but will appeal to people in their mid thirties on ward, I'm in my early fifties myself. Will probably go for a peek of Duran Duran, I liked what I heard of Tribe Called Quest. Father John Misty, London Grammar, Madness, The Pretenders, Divine Comedy, Fecking SOULWAX!, Run The Jewels, Car Seat Headrest and soul and funk diva Chaka Khan among others. Thats 11 so far which is good going for first announcement.

Elements of it have been retro but I don't think it's fair to say it's been a retro fest. When it has been though it's been mostly high quality, I think that's whats disappointing about this years announcement. I already see some trying to shoehorn in that people will enjoy Duran Duran regardless of whether they like them or not etc. I don't think The XX as a headliner fits either, I like them but a headliner doesn't suit them imo. Tribe is the only headliner that seems a good fit and even then a tiny bit underwhelming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 funkybuttmonkey

What are the chances of QOTSA being added later???? That would make the line up a whole lot better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Korvanica wrote: »

Couldn't endorse this enough.

I learned about 10 or so bands last year who were fantastic from downloading the spotify playlist

Corholio wrote: »
    Elements of it have been retro but I don't think it's fair to say it's been a retro fest. When it has been though it's been mostly high quality, I think that's whats disappointing about this years announcement. I already see some trying to shoehorn in that people will enjoy Duran Duran regardless of whether they like them or not etc. I don't think The XX as a headliner fits either, I like them but a headliner doesn't suit them imo. Tribe is the only headliner that seems a good fit and even then a tiny bit underwhelming.

Many of us just don't care about the headliners but glance over it and go straight to the undercard.

Many of us just don't care about the headliners but glance over it and go straight to the undercard.

Absolutely and my previous post mentioned that about previous undercards holding up headliners, just feel even that is not as strong on first announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

showpony I don't think you understand the Picnic, its always been a retro fest, maybe not as much as Rewind Festival, but will appeal to people in their mid thirties onward, I'm in my early fifties myself. Will probably go for a peek of Duran Duran, I liked what I heard of Tribe Called Quest. Father John Misty, London Grammar, Madness, The Pretenders, Divine Comedy, Fecking SOULWAX!, Run The Jewels, Car Seat Headrest and soul and funk diva Chaka Khan among others. Thats 11 so far which is good going for first announcement.

that's grand i understand there will be a mix and i've come to accept the headliners generally won't be for me (obviously it was going to be the xx), for me in previous years there was always the likes of Outkast, 1975, Flume, Mura Masa, Clean Bandit, MK mixed in so there was two or 3 at least each year i knew i'd be looking forward too but just there isn't really any i'm into at all this year. Although having said that i probably viewed the line-up last year the same before did a bit of spotify research and a few were added.

I wasn't actually expecting it to resemble a V-festival line-up as people seem to think here!

I'll go anyway as always as i enjoy things like mother DJs in the body and soul, Attention Bebe in trailor park, random DJs in tents around the place that are all sure to be there and of course the great feeling of drinking cans first thing in the morning guilt free!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

What are the chances of QOTSA being added later???? That would make the line up a whole lot better!!

Too close to metal. We can't be having that. Just throw in Parquet Courts for the third time in about seven years. They play loud guitars don't they? That'll do.

that's grand i understand there will be a mix and i've come to accept the headliners generally won't be for me (obviously it was going to be the xx), for me in previous years there was always the likes of Outkast, 1975, Flume, Mura Masa, Clean Bandit, MK mixed in so there was two or 3 at least each year i knew i'd be looking forward too but just there isn't really any i'm into at all this year. Although having said that i probably viewed the line-up last year the same before did a bit of spotify research and a few were added.

I wasn't actually expecting it to resemble a V-festival line-up as people seem to think here!

I'll go anyway as always as i enjoy things like mother DJs in the body and soul, Attention Bebe in trailor park, random DJs in tents around the place that are all sure to be there and of course the great feeling of drinking cans first thing in the morning guilt free!

Reading this, I suspect that they are more than a few acts on the lineup that you do not know... there are loads of really top notch acts in there... you might need to do a bit of research.

E.g ... Run the Jewels? Car Seat Headrest? Young Fathers? Michael Kiwanuka? Father John Misty. These are all top notch artists and very much of their time.

If these do not appeal, then I do not understand your musical taste which in fairness appears to be somewhat eclectic.

Apologies if I sound patronising. That was not my intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

These were both added in the second announcement last year long with the likes of Nas, the year before Blur, Despacio and FKA Twigs were announced in the 2nd announcement.

It's not the announcement i would have hand picked either but there's some good stuff in there with more to be added, not to mention the B&S lineup which always has a few jems in there.

Don't panic :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Is it too early to complain about the delay for the second announcement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Here's hoping Interpol will be on the main stage again rather than in the Electric Arena. They were great along with the Manics on the Sunday of 2015 outdoors

Advertisement