Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

everlast75 wrote: »
    Duran Duran are not cheap (believe it or not)

Chaka Chan is not cheap.

Besides, you are equating cheap and crap entertainment. You need to look lower down on the poster - dig for some new stuff. If mainstream or big names are your thing, then that is fine too. Ed Sheeran played the EP at one stage you know..

The missus dragged me along... he was brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Paleblood wrote: »
    I love Fleet Foxes' Helpnessness Blues, and now I find out that Father John Misty was the drummer on it and in fact has his own outstanding solo career. That's what I love about the Picnic. One of the names that I scrolled over thinking "who?" is now on my absolute must-see list for the weekend.

Anyone listen to the new album yet? Is it as good as the last one?

The gigs he did in Vicar St for the last one were excellent, should be a shoe-in for the EA.
    Yes, and I liked it though it's not as immediate as Honeybear. And it's long. Reviews are good though, and the live streams I caught from Lollapalooza & Glasto were excellent. He's an absolute must-see for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

BadTurtle wrote: »
    You know a lad is talking out his hole when he calls Run the Jewels something "for the pill heads".

Probably the last place you would want to be if you were in that condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

If you don't know a single act and call it a terrible lineup that says more about you than it does EP. There's a lot of good smaller acts to sink your teeth in to. Half the fun is wandering around seeing a band you barely know during the day too. Personally I'm delighted there's no Sam Smith, Lana Del Rey, Years and Years type act.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It really can't be overstated just how bad that line-up is in terms of the headliners. There's some decent bands further down the bill, but why bother spending money on getting good bands when you're the only show in town and will sell out regardless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

everlast75 wrote: »
    For all those complaining, may I politely suggest (and I am being sincere) that you download the spotify playlist and give it maybe 3 listens.

If you don't discover minimum 3 acts that you have never heard of but now like and furthermore would like to see live, I will be most surprised.

So the same again for the 2nd announcement, and then the 3rd. You'll have plenty to keep you occupied for the weekend then so.

Also, for those complaining, who would you like to see?
    From those touring Europe at the minute: At The Drive In, PJ Harvey, The Kills, Blanck Mass, Royal Blood, Baroness, Seasick Steve, Prophets of Rage, System of a Down............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

It really can't be overstated just how bad that line-up us. But why bother spending money on getting good bands when you're the only show in town and will sell out regardless?

seriously?

London Grammar - daecent, good solid first album
    Divine Comedy - cannot go wrong
    Fr. Misty - f'n A
    Young Fathers - not everyones cuppa but I'll go see them
    Madness - **** yes
    Pretenders - I'll personally buy a packet of sausages to hoof at Ms Hynde if she gets ranty at all
    Duran Duran - will be great fun
    The XX - like their stuff, not seen them live yet, suspicious of it being a bit quiet but ...
    Rag'n'bone man - bit quiet but the album is alright, could be good
    Interpol - happy enough to see them again
    Chaka Khan (chaka mad? chaka real mad!) - legend
    All gone pete tong - last years novelty act likely done right

there just the ones I will try to see so far and that's the initial announcement. gonna be good.

(needs to get the time to listen to the others listed but fun times)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Jeezo everyone's freaking out, its only the first wave of acts dudes, chill, sit down, smoke a joint and have a cup of coffee, loads more announcements to come over time.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Someone on Today Fm saying people in their 20s or 30s would be handing over their tickets to people in their 40s or 50s?! :rolleyes::

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Pretenders - I'll personally buy a packet of sausages to hoof at Ms Hynde if she gets ranty at all

This wins the internet today!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Duran Duran is the type of band you roll your eyes at. But fast forward 6 months and your eyes will be rolling, your jaw will be swinging and you'll wonder what you were worried about.

"Who are these again, boys? These are leeeeethal!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It really can't be overstated just how bad that line-up is in terms of the headliners. There's some decent bands further down the bill, but why bother spending money on getting good bands when you're the only show in town and will sell out regardless?

It can be overstated, because its a subjective thing.

Personally I think A Tribe Called Quest are very likely the best hip hop group ever to exist, Q-Tip is a genuine musical legend, and while sadly there will be no Phife, it'll still be a must see for a huge amount of people. If anyone was ever really into hip hop, Tribe are just one of those huge acts that defined the entire genre. They're definite headliner material.

The XX, I'm not sure I need to argue this one, but they've had 2 stunning albums, and the third and latest is equally great while also reinventing their sound a little. They've a fantastic Irish fanbase, and they're easily headliners.

Duran Duran, I'm not familiar enough with them to talk too much, but they're an extremely well known 'legacy' act, don't play Ireland that often, and have plenty of upbeat songs. I think they're a fair enough headliner too, but that one is arguable.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Someone on Today Fm saying people in their 20s or 30s would be handing over their tickets to people in their 40s or 50s?! :rolleyes::

I could only wish for that to be the case. Would love to see EP reduced in size, with the extra capacity split off to a separate Oxegen-a-like festival a bit earlier in the summer. Something like Longitude, but with camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭demon83

Given that its sold out, I cant see them making any effort to get any other big names added to the lineup. It might screw the touts who are trying to sell tickets on Seatwave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

demon83 wrote: »
    Given that its sold out, I cant see them making any effort to get any other big names added to the lineup. It might screw the touts who are trying to sell tickets on Seatwave :)

You do understand that all "big" names will already have been signed up since last year, they'd still be faffing round with lower tier acts but the mid tier and esp the bigger names have their tours planned usually a year in advance due to logistics / album release schedules etc...

what ever names there are to come are already etched in stone in the contracts and have been for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

We'll get another reasonably big act in June or around then, like Noel last year. Not a headliner though.

demon83 wrote: »

It won't be headliner level names, but they'll definitely add more sub-headliners, because they sold out last year after the first announcement, and still added Noel Gallagher, The1975, and Nas in the second announcement, Bell X1 and The Lightning Seeds in the third one. So, nothing huge, but still some well-known acts to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I'd just stopped short of lighting a candle in the hope that Fr.John Misty would be announced.

As one poster said ....F'n A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

MJohnston wrote: »
    It can be overstated, because its a subjective thing.

Personally I think A Tribe Called Quest are very likely the best hip hop group ever to exist, Q-Tip is a genuine musical legend, and while sadly there will be no Phife, it'll still be a must see for a huge amount of people. If anyone was ever really into hip hop, Tribe are just one of those huge acts that defined the entire genre. They're definite headliner material.

The XX, I'm not sure I need to argue this one, but they've had 2 stunning albums, and the third and latest is equally great while also reinventing their sound a little. They've a fantastic Irish fanbase, and they're easily headliners.

Duran Duran, I'm not familiar enough with them to talk too much, but they're an extremely well known 'legacy' act, don't play Ireland that often, and have plenty of upbeat songs. I think they're a fair enough headliner too, but that one is arguable.
    Duran Duran headlined Bestival a couple of years ago too.
    personally I think they're more of a mid-evening act, but looking at their greatest hits, they do have quite a few well-known tracks.

I wouldn't have said A Tribe Called Quest were really headliner material. great act, but really only 1 well-known track. I think they'll be by far the most sparsely attended headliner not just this year, but for several years. considering Nas and Wu-Tang Clan were both 3rd down the main stage, and I certainly wouldn't think Tribe are better known.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i nearly shed a tear waking up and seeing that lineup, UNREAL! best in years. back to the John Reynolds roots, my mates who haven't been in years all scrambling for tickets again. i was sure it was going in the ed sheeran direction but it did a complete 180. i'd be perfectly happy with not another single act being added

anyone saying it's worst lineup ever, don't bother researching the acts, just sell the tickets to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

mgkelly wrote: »
    This seems to happen in recent years. There seem to be people who are sad enough to go to the bother of designing 'fake' EP posters! What is that all about?!

:'(
    Weird thing is, it wasn't far off in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Mr.S wrote: »
    I disagree, the last time they played EP was phenomenal.

i agree, the xx were great in 2012. but it was a lovely, balmy and dry Friday night. wonder what it'd be like in the pissing rain
    Ughh, that feeling when you're trying to research a band and the bastards already have 6 albums out.

setlist.fm to http://static.echonest.com/SetListener/ to create a Spotify playlist of their recent setlist. no point listening to deepcuts that they'll never play on this tour
    Poorside wrote: »
    The more I look at it the happier I am, this just killed off the Oxygenation of EP.

:)
    I have no shame about all of the Euphoria, Lisa Lashes and Tidy Tracks CDs I bought (and still have in my attic)!

They were my first introduction to DJs, in particular different DJs having a different 'sound', the concepts of editing and remixing, the role of a record label, 'white labels', acetates, etc.

man i loved and still love those CDs. hard house nation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EopwYtgYJGY

it was my friend's older brothers, as i had only older sisters! they were huge around the turn of the millenium in Ireland and the UK but seem to have been deleted from history. surprised even someone uploaded it to Youtube, I got a torrent years back but it was hard work. was close to buying some on discogs :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The headliners might not be as strong as previous years but overall it has been the strongest first announcement for me since I've started going to EP (this will be my 5th). There are a lot of acts on that poster that I can imagine having a lot of fun at, while also some interesting acts musically. There are a good few acts I'm unfamiliar with as well so have lots to discover too!

I'm actually very surprised by the line up as a lot of the acts I was hoping for weren't announced but ones I never thought of have been selected. Jamiroquai and Justice both missing are the biggest omissions but I will get over it, hopefully see them somewhere over the summer! Now to crack open a bottle and read the facebook comments :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Chance to win 2 tickets on today fm in the next 15mins if anyone is after a pair. 7.07 now

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GidCudi

First taste of pink moon last year. Got tickets this morning but Pink moon sold out...nightmare. Do any get put back up for sale after a certain date when people don't pay the full amount or anything? Anyone in the know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

My favourite Facebook comment so far:

"Love how stupid and ignorant the youth are. No need in music in this day. Proper legends playing!! **** off to oxygen oh wait ya can't so just **** off!!"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Really happy with the line up. A lot there to keep me happy and a lot to still research
    This thread is always brilliant for recommendations so keep them coming.

There's enough dance already announced to keep me happy with Mano le tough , soulwax and kiasmos. Can't recommend Mano le tough enough

Would love to see Paul kalkbrenner, royscop and Marc de Marco added next

Wasn't gone on Duran Duran initially but I can already see myself having a moment singing every word to ordinary world and posting back here on the Monday saying how amazing they
    were!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

GidCudi wrote: »
    First taste of pink moon last year. Got tickets this morning but Pink moon sold out...nightmare. Do any get put back up for sale after a certain date when people don't pay the full amount or anything? Anyone in the know?

Have you tried every type of tent? We got a 4 man last week, a lot of the others sold out.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

room_149 wrote: »
    Here's hoping Interpol will be on the main stage again rather than in the Electric Arena. They were great along with the Manics on the Sunday of 2015 outdoors

Would love to see White Lies added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GidCudi

GidCudi wrote: »

Have you tried every type of tent? We got a 4 man last week, a lot of the others sold out.

Sure did mate. Everything sold out. I've emailed them asking is there even a waiting list or something along the lines

Advertisement