Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i think i'm most looking forward to Soulwax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wGRN7ZBBYc

anyone not familiar with them, flick through that video

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

i think i'm most looking forward to Soulwax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wGRN7ZBBYc

anyone not familiar with them, flick through that video

Saw that show live in Shine Belfast back in the day, absolutely brilliant, although everyone was there for the later on 2ManyDJs set (which was incredible).

New album "From Deewee" out tomorrow too, plus I wonder if they'll do a few tracks off that Belgica soundtrack which had some great tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You must have been fair off your tits, soulwax is 2manydjs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Some decent bands there like Real Estate at the very bottom of the list nearly :confused:

Interpol are playing the entire TOTBL album

Have been always wanting to see Phoenix but alas I've no tickets.

Aye I know, but they played a Soulwax live set first, then came back on later to do a 2manydjs DJ set, and as with most of my 20s, I was entirely sober :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yeah, there is a difference though, Soulwax is an actual band whilst their alter ego is 2ManyDJs - Record spinning and mixing.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Interpol need to **** off

So much wrong with the statement it's untrue.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Some decent bands there like Real Estate at the very bottom of the list nearly :confused:

Interpol are playing the entire TOTBL album

Have been always wanting to see Phoenix but alas I've no tickets.

Real Estate are oddly ranked, but I guess once all the other stages start filling up with their lineups below it, it'll look higher. Still, they're a big draw for me.

Well at least we didn't get the Coronas... Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Well at least we didn't get the Coronas...     Yet.
    Or Bastille. Could 2017 be a year clear of flotsam & jetsam?

• Advertisement

It's a stellar lineup the more you look at it and I'm not going. Not one for the young ones

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭jimosterberg

I think it's a terrible line up and I usually love EP. Would enjoy a few of the acts but very little there I'd be excited about.

Obviously some are happy with the line up and hopefully they enjoy themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭endainoz

All I know is I'm gonna lose my sh1t when baggy trousers comes on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Rubbish line up. I know about 5 bands on the list. I must be getting old. I've been to mainly rock festivals over the last 17 years (Slane, Witness, Oxygen, EP etc) and that line up doesn't do much for me.

However that stop me getting a ticket last September (bless you loyalty plan!).

And so I decide to listen to the Spotify playlist posted and it's only now I realise who sang that song 'Can I Kick It'. I've been listening to that song for years on video games, TV etc.

So I'm going to watch A Tribe Called Quest for a blast of 90's nostalgia. Thanks!

unkymo wrote: »
    Rubbish line up. I know about 5 bands on the list. I must be getting old. I've been to mainly rock festivals over the last 17 years (Slane, Witness, Oxygen, EP etc) and that line up doesn't do much for me.

And so I decide to listen to the Spotify playlist posted and it's only now I realise who sang that song 'Can I Kick It'. I've been listening to that song for years on video games, TV etc.

So I'm going to watch A Tribe Called Quest for a blast of 90's nostalgia. Thanks!

I'm sure you will make some great discoveries as well. In fact tune into The Beat Goes On on Sunday Night on Today FM, I presume Kelly-Anne Byrne will be highlighting some of the first announcement on her playlist, so you should tune into that too, on from 10pm - 1am. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Well, predictably enough, it's the jets versus the sharks in here tonight, from the 'what a pile of ****e' school of thought to the line up I've always dreamed of merchants. Nobody can look at initial announcements from days of yore and claim this stands up but hey, that's not the point for most of us. Last year was my most enjoyable Picnic despite being completely underwhelmed with the initial reveal. My knowledge of the music world shrinks each year. It's the research involved in the Picnic that keeps me going. I saw 20+ performances I loved at Stradbally last year from people I knew next to nothing about and I'll have the same this year. I'll spend 40 odd hours wandering that beautiful site talking to great people I've never met before and I'll do it all with a smile on my face. A spirit of openess, lads. It'll all work out fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Back in my day...

Oxegen DID have a lot going for it. I saw some great gigs and a looot of great bands over 2 festivals. Kings of Leon, Interpol, Editors, REM, the Verve, the Raconteurs and RATM all at '08, an early career gig from MGMT where the tent was bursting at the seams, etc.

Even other acts that I almost forgot that I have seen - Vampire Weekend, Dirty Projectors, bands that I would give my right arm to see now.

The major downfall that Oxegen had was that there was literally nothing to do other than music. No craft areas, no quirky things to explore and, as such, it attracted a very limited audience - people who were happy enough to drink and listen to music, drink some more.

That's not a criticism as I did it myself too, but EP certainly opened up a whole new world for me in terms of what I expect from a festival. It has a great atmosphere, character, etc whereas Oxegen could have been anywhere. There wasn't anything unique. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it (my first one especially) but I don't miss it either.

Yep, Oxegen was awful like that and it inherited that attitude from Witnness. Stout, lager, curry, chips, sausages, burgers and merchandise. Eat, drink, spend your money and on Monday morning we'll send the security around kicking your tents at 8am. Great line-ups but we were treated like cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

Can people recall when more tickets are usually released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Paleblood wrote: »
    Yep, Oxegen was awful like that and it inherited that attitude from Witnness. Stout, lager, curry, chips, sausages, burgers and merchandise. Eat, drink, spend your money and on Monday morning we'll send the security around kicking your tents at 8am. Great line-ups but we were treated like cattle.

Those security guys were absolute pricks. Stabbing cans and kicking stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Any pink mooners from last year, I know there's generally a separate entrance, but does that change once main arena is closed or how does it work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Well at least we didn't get the Coronas... Yet.

Dude at 3am I'll drink any old beer... I'm not fussy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

CWF wrote: »
    Can people recall when more tickets are usually released?

Eh ........

They're not.

unkymo wrote: »

I don't know how much into hip-hop you are, but Tribe Called Quest's recent album 'We Got It from Here...' (just released last year after 18 years waiting for a new album!) is excellent. Really rare to hear a reunion album that is actually good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

D.Q wrote: »
    Any pink mooners from last year, I know there's generally a separate entrance, but does that change once main arena is closed or how does it work

Closes about an hour or 2 after the main stage finishes, opens at about 12 the next day.
    It's a brilliant perk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

Eh ........

They're not.

Thought I read on this thread that they release more tickets closer to the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

For my own amusement, I sometimes like to rank EP goers in terms of wankerness based on their accomodation. I'm with Owen the sound B+B guy in the village, so I'm way up the wanker list already. Hotel people are bigger **** than me, people with nice tents are barely **** at all but, in my head and never having been anywhere near Pink Moon, I rate them as the biggest **** of all. I don't know why.

I qualify this by admitting I've yet to meet a wanker in Stradbally. Ye're all sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Poorside wrote: »
    Closes about an hour or 2 after the main stage finishes, opens at about 12 the next day.
    It's a brilliant perk.

So how do you get back into pink moon after this time?

Stillill42 wrote: »
    I qualify this by admitting I've yet to meet a wanker in Stradbally. Ye're all sound.

Risky activity when you're not showering for three days tbh

D.Q wrote: »
    So how do you get back into pink moon after this time?

In 2015 you used a Pink Moon entrance which was near the Paintball place, but you have to walk there via Salty Dog, so it's a slight trek, especially if your tent is at the far end of the Pink Moon site too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

MJohnston wrote: »
    In 2015 you used a Pink Moon entrance which was near the Paintball place, but you have to walk there via Salty Dog, so it's a slight trek, especially if your tent is at the far end of the Pink Moon site too.

Yup, main PM entrance stays open 24 hours, so when the main stage closes, leg it back into PM to get your cans and head for a wander.

Advertisement