Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Stillill42 wrote: »
    For my own amusement, I sometimes like to rank EP goers in terms of wankerness based on their accomodation. I'm with Owen the sound B+B guy in the village, so I'm way up the wanker list already. Hotel people are bigger **** than me, people with nice tents are barely **** at all but, in my head and never having been anywhere near Pink Moon, I rate them as the biggest **** of all. I don't know why.

I qualify this by admitting I've yet to meet a wanker in Stradbally. Ye're all sound.

I'm staying in the Podpads this year, had enough of roughing it with the great unwashed of Pink Moon 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭glencurtis252

Had a bit of a listen to a few I didn't no today.. Michael kiwanuka I will definitely be heading along to see sounds very good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Poorside wrote: »
    I'm staying in the Podpads this year, had enough of roughing it with the great unwashed of Pink Moon 😀

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but they're both in the same campsite ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I could never go back to the campsites after doing Pink Moon the last few years. Worth every penny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Give it until about 50 seconds in.....

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    I hate to be the one to break it to you, but they're both in the same campsite ;)

Yeah, but we Podders are just a better class, the right sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Poorside wrote: »

Straight to the top of the wanker tree with you, Poorside. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

SachaJ wrote: »

Stop all presses, cancel everything else you've got planned, ladies and germs, we have confirmation of white lines in current set lists!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I'm one of the young brigade who (as is the dominant kind of music at the moment) is interested more in the electronic acts and djs rather than bands, though of course there are some bands I'd enjoy!

There are 6-7 acts there to cater for the likes of myself and none of them inspire. We've gone from Huxley, The Magician, Adam Beyer, Chemical Brothers last year (which was quite decent) to BBC radio DJs, and a poor Icelandic techno dj amongst others. It's quite a drop in standard. I view EP as a multi-genre festival, a festival that has something for everyone, I've seen people on this thread say DJs or techno have no place at EP, and the Bacardi stage is a nuisance etc, if you think that there is plenty of other things to occupy you at the festival!!!

Back to main point anyway, so far that line-up is not good enough for any electronic music head IMO. Not sure about the other genres, but that's my take there.

• Advertisement

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Straight to the top of the wanker tree with you, Poorside. Fair play.

Certainly happy I'm not on the bottom of that tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'd be amazed if you couldn't nab tickets for this at face value in the week or two coming up to it. I like the lineup a lot but it just doesn't hold enough sway to convince the average Joe to stay on, especially after an expensive summer where you know you have 250 quid in cash waiting for you at the click of a button.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'm one of the young brigade who (as is the dominant kind of music at the moment) is interested more in the electronic acts and djs rather than bands, though of course there are some bands I'd enjoy!

There are 6-7 acts there to cater for the likes of myself and none of them inspire. We've gone from Huxley, The Magician, Adam Beyer, Chemical Brothers last year (which was quite decent) to BBC radio DJs, and a poor Icelandic techno dj amongst others. It's quite a drop in standard. I view EP as a multi-genre festival, a festival that has something for everyone, I've seen people on this thread say DJs or techno have no place at EP, and the Bacardi stage is a nuisance etc, if you think that there is plenty of other things to occupy you at the festival!!!

Back to main point anyway, so far that line-up is not good enough for any electronic music head IMO. Not sure about the other genres, but that's my take there.

If you want electronic music FF is the place to be, knocked it out of the park this time round.

But I am also one of the people that will attend regardless of line-up, there is a magic to that weekend that is hard found. It's in the atmosphere and the people and the diversity of the crowd almost. But of course, a nice line-up would be ideal too.

If you want electronic music FF is the place to be, knocked it out of the park this time round.

Oh of course I know I could be going a million and one better places to hear electronic music, but EP in general would not be easy for me to miss. A great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,735 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Stop all presses, cancel everything else you've got planned, ladies and germs, we have confirmation of white lines in current set lists!!!!!!!

I think I'll need a few white lines to cope with watching that.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Just listened to it again. Wow! Ya gotta admire their utter & brilliant lack of self-awareness.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Part of me would love to see them on the Main Stage but then i feel the atmosphere in the EA would be unreal.

Looks like Interpol will be up against A Tribe Called Quest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Part of me would love to see them on the Main Stage but then i feel the atmosphere in the EA would be unreal.

Looks like Interpol will be up against A Tribe Called Quest

In one of the big tents I hope and get there really early.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'll just post a few clips of some of the acts, there is some pretty subtle electronica in there. There's loads of other stages to be announced so a lot more electronica to come I'd say.

Floating Points

Kiasmos

Mano Le Tough

Soulwax (OK this is a band but 2ManyDJs DJ's) 2ManyDJs could still get added later to the bill.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

easy choice there, i think Interpol are shíte. no idea how they're so popular with fans and critics

ATCQ all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Cool your jets.

Huxley played the Bacardi Bar. The Bacardi and Red Bull announcements are separate every year. They're never part of the main line up.

In terms of everyone else, well you'll just have to wait for those. Adam Beyer wasn't part of the first announcement last year. You can expect one or two big name DJs to be announced.

You speak about a drop in standards. Been there, done that. What we're getting now is the likes of Adam Beyer, a boring, by-the-numbers techno DJ, to be filed alongside Richie Hawtin, another 'big name' we had not so long ago.

We've had some superb electronic music and DJs over the years. At times I can't quite believe the sheer quality of artists that I danced in front of (in a field I used to walk my dog in!). But those dynamic DJ bookings are mostly gone.

If you want big, bland DJs like Adam Beyer then watch this space, I doubt you'll be dissapointed.

And Kiasmos are two producers, not a single DJ, but as a young man with high standards I'm sure you'd have figured that out eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Just listened to it again. Wow! Ya gotta admire their utter & brilliant lack of self-awareness.

I know! I think they must know how awful it is but its sheer ballsyness in such an utterly tone deaf dire cover just deserves applause. I ****ing love it.

Run The Jewels have so many total bangers, it's outrageous. I think they need to be in the Electric Arena, not on the main stage, for sound reasons.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Run The Jewels have so many total bangers, it's outrageous. I think they need to be in the Electric Arena, not on the main stage, for sound reasons.

And atmosphere wise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Spaceshanty

Disappointed more than most years with the initial announcement, even after lowering my expectations, and I agree with some posters that there has definitely been a shift when it comes to booking acts at the festival, especially the last two years, which might mean it's my 11th and last one. Depending.

Taking out the obvious big A lister acts such as Radiohead, Depeche Mode, QOTSA etc (I know I know, own gig, in the states, not touring yet) there still is a lot of options there that they could have opted for.
    Maybe it's age(37), but last year was the first year I walked around the site looking for someone to go to see, for a few hours at a time. I do go for the crack, but I enjoy music and new bands I wouldn't normally go to see, but last year had huge gaps where they just didn't appeal to me.

I'm hoping for Justice and Foals to add to the top tier of acts in the following announcements, and maybe a handful of one or two of these.

Jamie xx and 2 many djs sets to be added imo.

Leftfield
    Justice
    Massive Attack
    Gorillaz
    Tame Impala
    Foals
    Royksopp
    Royal Blood
    Paul Weller
    Metromony
    The Coral
    Moby
    Two Door Cinema Club
    De la soul
    Jungle
    Jagwar Ma
    Death In Vegas
    DJ Shadow
    Formation
    John Grant
    Steve Mason
    Temples
    Caribou
    The Coral
    Gaz Coombes
    Richard Hawley
    Metronomy
    The Horrors
    James Zabiela
    Jon Hopkins
    Richie Hawtin
    Laurent Garnier
    Trentmoller

Here's hoping , but I won't hold my breathe ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Disappointed more than most years with the initial announcement, even after lowering my expectations, and I agree with some posters that there has definitely been a shift when it comes to booking acts at the festival, especially the last two years, which might mean it's my 11th and last one. Depending.

Taking out the obvious big A lister acts such as Radiohead, Depeche Mode, QOTSA etc (I know I know, own gig, in the states, not touring yet) there still is a lot of options there that they could have opted for.
    Maybe it's age(37), but last year was the first year I walked around the site looking for someone to go to see, for a few hours at a time. I do go for the crack, but I enjoy music and new bands I wouldn't normally go to see, but last year had huge gaps where they just didn't appeal to me.

I'm hoping for Justice and Foals to add to the top tier of acts in the following announcements, and maybe a handful of one or two of these.

Jamie xx and 2 many djs sets to be added imo.

Leftfield
    Justice
    Massive Attack
    Gorillaz
    Tame Impala
    Foals
    Royksopp
    Royal Blood
    Paul Weller
    Metromony
    The Coral
    Moby
    Two Door Cinema Club
    De la soul
    Jungle
    Jagwar Ma
    Death In Vegas
    DJ Shadow
    Formation
    John Grant
    Steve Mason
    Temples
    Caribou
    The Coral
    Gaz Coombes
    Richard Hawley
    Metronomy
    The Horrors
    James Zabiela
    Jon Hopkins
    Richie Hawtin
    Laurent Garnier
    Trentmoller

Here's hoping , but I won't hold my breathe ðŸ‘

That's quite the list, but the vast majority of those have played there before, some of them more than once. Some of them three times! It's time for something new.

Edit: Actually I don't think any of them played three times. I'm getting my festivals mixed up!

Would disagree completely with the two bolded statements. But I'll try and actually get you to enjoy the electronic acts that are there:

As others have pointed out, Soulwax are electronic to the core - they have rock elements in there, but their new 'From Deewee' album is a modern-day krautrock reinvention that couldn't get more electronica-minded. They're similar to the Chemical Brothers in the sense that they're album-oriented, lyrically involved stuff, with the odd full on dancefloor killer in there too.

Check out:
    + Nite Versions Live version of 'E Talking'
    + Transient Program for Drums and Machinery
    + Turn Off The Lights (from their 'Belgica' soundtrack).

Kiasmos are an experimental, techno duo from Iceland (one half, Ólafur Arnalds an award-winning composer with some beautiful minimalist techno and ambient pieces) who generally perform a semi-live show (no less or more live than Chemical Brothers for example). Their music is techno at heart, but is surrounded by layers of absolutely stunning piano/string ambience. I saw them at Body and Soul in '15, with only a little knowledge of Olafur, and they blew me away - trust me if you're looking for music to completely disappear into and just dance, they're it.

Check out:
    + Looped
    + Drawn
    + Bent

Floating Points was at the forefront of a kind of fusion of old-school math-based electronica (like Aphex) with more funky, house-y styles. His music is really varied, so it's hard to pin his style down exactly, but it's noodly, deep, and so interesting. His most recent album 'Elaenia' was an experimental series of almost improvised pieces of electronic-jazz and ambience.

Check out:
    + ARP3
    + Marylin
    + Danger

Mano Le Tough is a local lad who moved to Berlin and got a bunch of music signed to big labels, and then got around to releasing a couple of albums. I guess I'd describe him as more straight up deep-house with some stuff verging on techno.

Check out:
    + I See Myself In You
    + Tempus
    + The Sea Inside

There may be other electronic artists on the lineup already, but I don't know them if they are. However, there will undoubtedly be plenty more added closer to the date, as well as the usual Bacardi/Heineken stage DJs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

As others have pointed out, Soulwax are electronic to the core - they have rock elements in there, but their new 'From Deewee' album is a modern-day krautrock reinvention that couldn't get more electronica-minded.

that album literally hit Spotify 18 minutes ago!
    Mano Le Tough is a local lad who moved to Berlin and got a bunch of music signed to big labels, and then got around to releasing a couple of albums. I guess I'd describe him as more straight up deep-house with some stuff verging on techno.

Check out:
    + I See Myself In You
    + Tempus
    + The Sea Inside

yeah but isn't mano a DJ set? he won't be playing his own stuff so what's the point of listenting to his stuff, which i like, but i hate DJ sets and think they're the stupidest thing ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Rezident

Duran Duran !? :) :pac: :D

Advertisement