Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

room_149 wrote: »
    Any comments on this?

This could be done for free at Oxygen & Feile bitd.

Another question on this, if you're staying in pink moon, do you need to buy early entry off ticketmaster AND off pink moon or will one early entry pass suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Never thought about the recording being live, I meant if it was the album version.

Still though, I think I'd know. Maybe if it was a headline act and I was way back. But in a small gig where I'd know the band I'd know, and God would know:D

and.. "what does God say?"

to be fair, I think there are a lot of nerdy people in the electronic music scene and I would say anyone trying to do this type of thing would be caught out pretty soon.

As i said earlier, with most of these live artists, the tune is different each time we hear it and there are plenty of nerdy people who would spot it if the same version was being played across a tour. The shame of being caught out on something like this would be devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

I'm definitely getting one. An extra day at EP - yes, please!

I wonder will there be any music on that night, like something on in Salty Dog? Or will it be just campsite fun? :cool:
    Spoke with a couple of chaps who were at the launch- they haven't heard of anything doing on the Thursday. Might be a few food vans and shops open
    Well worth the €25 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

and.. "what does God say?"

to be fair, I think there are a lot of nerdy people in the electronic music scene and I would say anyone trying to do this type of thing would be caught out pretty soon.

As i said earlier, with most of these live artists, the tune is different each time we hear it and there are plenty of nerdy people who would spot it if the same version was being played across a tour. The shame of being caught out on something like this would be devastating.
    God said "Let There Be Rock". If only he existed.

Ah yeah that's fair enough. I suppose when I go to electronic gigs I don't know the artist that well and I assume most people are there off their heads (like me) and wouldn't notice such things. Very narrow-minded of me I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I wonder will there be any music on that night, like something on in Salty Dog? Or will it be just campsite fun? :cool:

Well worth it, it a bit more mellower but some of the soundsystems tend to be sound checking on Thursday night, Trenchtown normally has a bit of music on and some of the other peripheral areas of the festival like Salty Dog, B&S Village, Trailer Park and the Rave in the Woods. Lighting systems would also be getting checked out too, so a lively enough night before the masses hit.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Well worth it, it a bit more mellower but some of the soundsystems tend to be sound checking on Thursday night, Trenchtown normally has a bit of music on and some of the other peripheral areas of the festival like Salty Dog, B&S Village, Trailer Park and the Rave in the Woods. Lighting systems would also be getting checked out too, so a lively enough night before the masses hit.
    Shouldn't be charging another €25 for it though surely?
    In saying that, I do enjoy a few drinks out in the Campervan site of a Thursday evening before all the madness starts on Friday!!

room_149 wrote: »
    Shouldn't be charging another €25 for it though surely?
    In saying that, I do enjoy a few drinks out in the Campervan site of a Thursday evening before all the madness starts on Friday!!

I'm not doing the posh camping thing though, I'm down for the whole week doing advanced volunteering and stay at the Body & Soul campsite near the GAA place. There is a handy staff entrance there to the festival site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

In fairness, there is a cost in having some of the additional security there the night before. A Salty Dog gig would be a great idea.

I'm too old for four nights

I'm not doing the posh camping thing though, I'm down for the whole week doing advanced volunteering and stay at the Body & Soul campsite near the GAA place. There is a handy staff entrance there to the festival site.
    I know it well- used the jacks & showers in there a couple of times when the water went in the van a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Is miming a word you can use? Well if any of them just pressed a button and bopped around. The fact that you can't actually see what they're at, does it matter what they're doing?

If a band stands there with their guitars and don't play them while the sound comes out I'd be pretty pissed off. If the sound was so perfect that it had to be a recording rather than a live performance then I'd know and also be pissed off.

Does apply to electronic ceoil?

1) It probably doesn't matter to a lot of people as long as it doesn't literally sound like the album. Daft Punk's Alive 07 tour for example could easily not even have been the two lads from Daft Punk on the stage, but the music was constructed in a completely different way to what you'd hear on their albums.

2) A lot of bigger electronic music artists understand the dilemma and introduce other elements into their shows to give the crowd sometime to enjoy. The aforementioned Daft Punk, and The Chemical Brothers both have incredible visual shows happening during their sets which are sometimes worth the price of admission alone. Kraftwerk too, especially with their recent 3D shows.

3) It probably doesn't matter to people because of the experience/atmosphere factor. Compare to, for example, a gig for a band you've wanted to see for your entire life, and when you do get there, the vocals are a bit muddled in the sound mix. You and most people are probably singing along and not really caring about that, not really caring that you're actually hearing yourself most of the time, it's all about the experience of it, whatever that means to different people. That doesn't change just because the music is pre-sequenced.

And yes, things can go wrong with the more involved electronic music performances. One of my favourite artists is Jamie Liddell, and back years ago his live show was just himself, no instruments except for some pre-recorded samples, a loop pedal, and his voice. He'd create these amazing songs just using his voice and a couple of drum samples, and constantly **** up the looping, but then just roll with it and incorporate that back into the song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭stead

If anyone has Apple Music it's worth searching up an artist and see if there's an Apple curated "... essentials" playlist. Tends to have a good mix of the hits and deep cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Two interesting articles on this topic if you want to take the time to read them, one is deadmau5 blowing the lid on the whole 'press play hands in the air DJ', the other is an interview with the Chems tech-y guy about all the gear they need and what they're able to do 'live'

http://deadmau5.tumblr.com/post/25690507284/we-all-hit-play

http://www.soundonsound.com/people/matt-cox-midi-tech-chemical-brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

The Thursday night is a nice idea... I'd love to do it but I'm old and god I need that night in bed!!

Yeah I'm warming to this first announcement, I like the fact that a lot of acts are fresh, who haven't played the Picnic before, of course there is a few returns, The XX since 2012, Interpol, London Grammar, Mano Le Tough and a few others. But a lot of the acts have never played at the festival, but have played the smaller Body & Soul festival. I like the fact Madness is in there, always a fun act to go and see and go ape to One Step Beyond and Baggy Trousers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Paleblood wrote: »
    Disappointed more than most years with the initial announcement, even after lowering my expectations, and I agree with some posters that there has definitely been a shift when it comes to booking acts at the festival, especially the last two years, which might mean it's my 11th and last one. Depending.

Taking out the obvious big A lister acts such as Radiohead, Depeche Mode, QOTSA etc (I know I know, own gig, in the states, not touring yet) there still is a lot of options there that they could have opted for.
    Maybe it's age(37), but last year was the first year I walked around the site looking for someone to go to see, for a few hours at a time. I do go for the crack, but I enjoy music and new bands I wouldn't normally go to see, but last year had huge gaps where they just didn't appeal to me.

I'm hoping for Justice and Foals to add to the top tier of acts in the following announcements, and maybe a handful of one or two of these.

Jamie xx and 2 many djs sets to be added imo.

Leftfield
    Justice
    Massive Attack
    Gorillaz
    Tame Impala
    Foals
    Royksopp
    Royal Blood
    Paul Weller
    Metromony
    The Coral
    Moby
    Two Door Cinema Club
    De la soul
    Jungle
    Jagwar Ma
    Death In Vegas
    DJ Shadow
    Formation
    John Grant
    Steve Mason
    Temples
    Caribou
    The Coral
    Gaz Coombes
    Richard Hawley
    Metronomy
    The Horrors
    James Zabiela
    Jon Hopkins
    Richie Hawtin
    Laurent Garnier
    Trentmoller

Here's hoping , but I won't hold my breathe ðŸ‘

That's quite the list, but the vast majority of those have played there before, some of them more than once. Some of them three times! It's time for something new.

Edit: Actually I don't think any of them played three times. I'm getting my festivals mixed up!
    Foals definitely did. Don't think any of the others but can't be sure. A few acts there I'd welcome (back).

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

The new Soulwax album (out today) is sounding top notch, looking forward to seeing this 'live' ðŸ‘

Outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,736 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Some here might lose their s**t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Any chance that Le Galaxie will play?

everlast75 wrote: »

Well I'm going to the Sunday of that, canna wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

everlast75 wrote: »
    Officially lost.....Orbital & Aphex Twin at the one festival. Well, well, well....!
    :woot:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

Rag'N'Bone was just on Comic Relief which I presume everyones watching and he was unreal !!!

Peter File wrote: »
    Any chance that Le Galaxie will play?

Be very surprised if they don't... them and Donal dinnen always added!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

D.Q wrote: »
    Really starting to warm to the idea of Duran Duran

My older brother was a huge fan when i was very young, i know all their songs note for note. I've spent my life keeping schtum when anyone was going on about how naff they are.

I'm really looking forward to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭stead

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFxEFRK93LCW93ICpEIaK1EjTHEyveXbS

Don't know if its already been posted but EP have a playlist up to give a taste of each of the acts announced so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Did anyone else notice on the spotify playlist that it plays songs by John Grant and bonobo, but they're not listed on the actual list

Did anyone else notice on the spotify playlist that it plays songs by John Grant and bonobo, but they're not listed on the actual list

Wow they would be two great additions. Ive seen john grant a few times now and he's so brilliant. Never seen bonobo but the new album is gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

They're not there now, were you talking about the official EP playlist? Cos if they were definitely there and now are gone, that's a big hint! Those would be two superb additions if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Just after realising that The Pretenders are not the guys who sing 500 miles. Can't tell if I'm disappointed or happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GidCudi

Tune of the day

Floating Points - Nuits Sonores

Advertisement