Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

MJohnston wrote: »
    That is Spotifys feature where it starts playing related songs once the playlist has finished, so they're not adding by EP unfortunately.

John grant would be such a good addition to that line up. Wonder what his story is late summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Just after realising that The Pretenders are not the guys who sing 500 miles. Can't tell if I'm disappointed or happy.

That would be the Proclaimers. The Pretenders sing 2000 miles, so they're four times better.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

What happened Phoenix, disappeared off poster??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

I'm impressed with what I've heard of Car Seat Headrest so far. I was a bit intimidated when I heard they'd released 13 albums since 2010! But 2015's Teens of Style (their first album that wasn't self-released) is billed as an introduction to their work, and then there's last year's Teens of Denial. Both albums are a nice jumping-on point, although at 70 minutes the latter album needed to be trimmed back.

I'm very happy with the undercard this year. Each year there's a string of acts I never heard of before, but in recent editions a lot of those turned out to be inch-deep chart fodder (my subjective assessment). But there's real depth to the line-up this time around. If the next announcement is based on the same attitude then we could be looking at a real cracker of a line-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

image.jpg

The state of me in that photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

look at the size of that crowd compared to what it used be like. you'd think they could spend a few quid on some headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

MJohnston wrote: »
    That is Spotifys feature where it starts playing related songs once the playlist has finished, so they're not adding by EP unfortunately.

Ah balls they would have been fantastic additions. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A new Fever Ray album in October so one to keep in mind for EP18. :)

17499133_1144132812361785_6635239727233201482_n.jpg?oh=9af0da949c11778ccf9ac2fa8b86afba&oe=595B042B

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Dub FX is around Europe in Aug/Sept. I'd be hoping he'll make an appearance. Saw him in Warsaw last October and it was a great gig.

So Kelly-Anne Byrne confirmed tonight that her The Beat Goes On Show on Today FM will be looking at the Electric Picnic line up on Sunday night, so that will be a good sampler show for folk not familiar with the line up. Its on between 10 pm and 1 am. :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Robotito

The Jesus and Mary Chain will be added as soon as they get the gig on 7th April out of the way. They were brilliant in '07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Was at the Mura Masa gig in District 8 last night, and happen to bump in to the man himself in the smoking area. He confirmed that he'll be back again to EP this year.

Robotito wrote: »
    The Jesus and Mary Chain will be added as soon as they get the gig on 7th April out of the way. They were brilliant in '07

Was it after or before Sonic Youth they were on.

Edit: Just looked at Nialler's old blog post for the timetables in 2007, JATMC were on just before the Chemical Brothers on the main on Saturday night. Sonic Youth was on Sunday before Iggy and the Stooges.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭stead

zNOE7Lz.png
    Found this amusing.

Fcuk forgot how good Iggy Pop and the Stooges were that year, they were incendiary. Oddly the video plays even though there is no image :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Robotito wrote: »
    Thinking of going to see them in Belfast. Maybe hold off, if gonna be at EP?
    On the other hand, maybe do both!
    Won't help the tinnitus in me left ear, tho'....!

Do you think Ride might be added to EP, btw? Have now missed 2 chances to see since reformed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This is my first picnic, and I have to say that I'm very happy with the lineup so far. Great mix, and a high standard in the undercard. Already found a few gems previously unknown to me, such as Kiasmos (no small part to this thread), and I'm sure I'll find plenty more wandering around stradbally.

Looking forward to a great weekend.

Trying to develop some 'love' for the new XX album. Boy, I'm struggling. Some of the quieter moments are good. I smell too much Jamie XX influence! I really liked the earlier stuff. I feel it maybe comes down to whether or not you like their 'gothic-ness' or their 'electronica-ness'?! I prefer the former, hence I guess I like the earlier stuff. However, will be here nonetheless, to see them.
    On the other hand, & perhaps counterintuitively, I've been checking out 'Floating Points' & 'Kiasmos' - never heard of either until announced for EP17 - and, oh, I like very much! The former are rather 'dreamy', almost ambient electronica. Also a wee bit of free jazz like sounds in there. Thanks to folks for flagging up.

Streaming the Kiasmos album on my phone at present. Hmm, nice!

Particularly remarkable, considering one half of the duo is Ólafur Arnalds, a 'classical' composer, & I was just listening last night to his album of Chopin interpretations w/ Alice Ott. Beautiful stuff.

...I'll witter away to myself here, folks, shall I?!

:P8-)

• Advertisement

...that's not to say I was with Alice Ott, y' understand!
    Tho' on Googling......
    Mrs. Kelly would not be happy!
    Mr. Kelly might be...

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭roll

after a weekend of familiarisation, anyone who thinks the first batch of musicians is crap, is insane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

roll wrote: »
    after a weekend of familiarisation, anyone who thinks the first batch of musicians is crap, is insane

Yup, Spotify is brilliant for this.
    Goat girl was new for me but I think I'll be heading to their set.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Poorside wrote: »

Yup, Spotify is brilliant for this.
    Goat girl was new for me but I think I'll be heading to their set.

Just came across Scum on the Spotify EP playlist that someone here posted. Really liking that song! Definitely going to listen to some more Goat Girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭glencurtis252

mgkelly wrote:
    Trying to develop some 'love' for the new XX album. Boy, I'm struggling. Some of the quieter moments are good. I smell too much Jamie XX influence! I really liked the earlier stuff. I feel it maybe comes down to whether or not you like their 'gothic-ness' or their 'electronica-ness'?! I prefer the former, hence I guess I like the earlier stuff. However, will be here nonetheless, to see them. On the other hand, & perhaps counterintuitively, I've been checking out 'Floating Points' & 'Kiasmos' - never heard of either until announced for EP17 - and, oh, I like very much! The former are rather 'dreamy', almost ambient electronica. Also a wee bit of free jazz like sounds in there. Thanks to folks for flagging up.

Same as myself.. been listening to it over and over and in fairness it is growing on me.. not to the extent I'm overly excited about seeing them.. also after giving it a few listens not so sure the sound of the album will work all that well at an outdoor gig..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That new XX album is my favourite of their 3 tbh, although I do also love the ambient-esque nature of the first two. But bands have to evolve a bit, and I'm kind of glad they tried something different. "Violent Noise" and "Say Something Loving" are two of the best songs they've made though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,244 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This line up is shocking looking.

I do hope there are some decent dance acts announced for:

1) Body and Soul area
    2) The forest (Last year it wasn't red bull and the Saturday was rocking techno)
    3) Red bull tropical garden
    4) Those few small stages around where the caravans were? Billy Scurry was on in this spot last year.

So far, for me, that line up is sh1eeeeeet.

You're familiar with every act on the poster? That's impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

MadYaker wrote: »
    You're familiar with every act on the poster? That's impressive.

To be fair there does to be a small case of Stockholm Syndrome taking hold around here. We all know that it will be a brilliant weekend regardless but I am inclined to agree that for 240 big ones the lineup really isn't quite up to par yet. That isn't to say that the acts aren't very good in their own right - they most certainly are but for that kind of money you'd expect a bit more in my view.

Considering the festival is sold out and we're all going I'm sure we could get a slightly more constructive conversation going. If we're being truly honest, and aside from the EP experience itself, does anyone think that the lineup represents value for money in any way? I definitely don't - and this is coming from someone who has seen about half of that bill perform live over the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,244 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The headliners are crap really. The rest of it is good though.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    The headliners are crap really. The rest of it is good though.

Completely subjective comment. Personally, tho' bit disappointed with XXs recent album, will definitely be there. Intriguing band. Tribe Called Quest - would never have believed would get a chance to see & thrilled. Just add De La Soul now!
    Ok, so I hate Duran Duran (grew up in that era, all the cool kids liked them, but I always despised them - weirdo!), but c'est la vie and "2 out of 3 ain't bad"!
    🀘

Advertisement