Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

MadYaker wrote: »
    You're familiar with every act on the poster? That's impressive.

To be fair there does to be a small case of Stockholm Syndrome taking hold around here. We all know that it will be a brilliant weekend regardless but I am inclined to agree that for 240 big ones the lineup really isn't quite up to par yet. That isn't to say that the acts aren't very good in their own right - they most certainly are but for that kind of money you'd expect a bit more in my view.

Considering the festival is sold out and we're all going I'm sure we could get a slightly more constructive conversation going. If we're being truly honest, and aside from the EP experience itself, does anyone think that the lineup represents value for money in any way? I definitely don't - and this is coming from someone who has seen about half of that bill perform live over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The headliners are crap really. The rest of it is good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

The headliners are crap really. The rest of it is good though.

Completely subjective comment. Personally, tho' bit disappointed with XXs recent album, will definitely be there. Intriguing band. Tribe Called Quest - would never have believed would get a chance to see & thrilled. Just add De La Soul now!
    Ok, so I hate Duran Duran (grew up in that era, all the cool kids liked them, but I always despised them - weirdo!), but c'est la vie and "2 out of 3 ain't bad"!
    🀘

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I should re phrase that. The headliners aren't necessarily crap. They just shouldn't be headlining, apart from The xx they should all be in afternoon main stage slots or maybe in the electric arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I should re phrase that. The headliners aren't necessarily crap. They just shouldn't be headlining, apart from The xx they should all be in afternoon main stage slots or maybe in the electric arena.

I'd agree with that, maybe EP are pulling a fast one and these are the EA headline acts for Saturday and Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This line up is shocking looking.

I do hope there are some decent dance acts announced for:

1) Body and Soul area
    2) The forest (Last year it wasn't red bull and the Saturday was rocking techno)
    3) Red bull tropical garden
    4) Those few small stages around where the caravans were? Billy Scurry was on in this spot last year.
    5) Casa Bacardi

So far, for me, that line up is sh1eeeeeet.

So who were ya expecting, you know all the dance stuff gets announced a lot later, I think Bacardi announces some DJs first and a few of the dance stages announce around August, plus there will be other electronic acts added to the main bill too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Pretty dodgy lineup. I wouldn't pay €250 to see a handful of bands, but that's just me, and it's all subjective. There are a few cracking festivals on in Spain, and they're half the price....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Poorside wrote: »
    I'd agree with that, maybe EP are pulling a fast one and these are the EA headline acts for Saturday and Sunday.

Not a chance, these are mainstage.

Anyone who doesn't think Duran Duran are main stage closers has zero concept of just how massive they were in their 80s heyday (which lasted across several years/albums rather than a wham bam thank you mam).

They might be of more interest to the aul wans but they were one of the biggest beasts on the planet for a good 6-7 years and sold an utter fcukton of albums when album sales mattered (none of this spottifried bollox).

I wouldn't have been a fan at the time as they were not exactly appealing to a teen chap (more the chappettes), but with 30+ years distance, I've no problem admitting they've a **** load of really well put together catchy pop songs and will likely be well worth seeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

We've reached the 'bargaining' stage of the Electric Picnic line-up announcement, then.

Every year - "I mean, there's a few decent acts, but those headliners must not be the headliners. They'll announce someone new in a few weeks and THEY'LL be the headliners."

Like clockwork every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

they're clearly the main stage headliners, as per the PR, but 2 years ago they were to play the Killarney Festival of Music & Food, so hardly a superstar booking...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

I think all Irish festivals have dropped the ball by not getting Frank Ocean :)

Snarky Snark Snark

they're clearly the main stage headliners, as per the PR, but 2 years ago they were to play the Killarney Festival of Music & Food, so hardly a superstar booking...

That's not exactly fair, offer anyone a few hundred grand and they'll play any old garden shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dylar

That's not exactly fair, offer anyone a few hundred grand and they'll play any old garden shed.

A gig that was cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.....

Snarky Snark Snark

Dylar wrote: »
    A gig that was cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.....

I don't think you can put that on them, that whole event was a cluster**** of note

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/killarney-festival-of-music-food-the-festival-that-failed-1.2264299

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dylar

I don't think you can put that on them, that whole event was a cluster**** of note

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/killarney-festival-of-music-food-the-festival-that-failed-1.2264299

Yeah it was a disaster in terms of organisation and you can't blame Duran Duran for that but they still sold less than 5,000 tickets on a lineup with a lot of other high profile oldie/heritage acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Can anyone confirm what other boutique camping is in the Pink Moon area? I think Podpads were moved there in the last few years? Our friends are in a Festihut which is in the actual Boutique camping area so want to make sure we don't book something miles away.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

We've reached the 'bargaining' stage of the Electric Picnic line-up announcement, then.

Every year - "I mean, there's a few decent acts, but those headliners must not be the headliners. They'll announce someone new in a few weeks and THEY'LL be the headliners."

Like clockwork every year.

Well some of us are pretty happy with the lineup tbh. Others are pretty happy with it but workin to convince those who aren't that they should be.

Imma just sit back and enjoy it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm what other boutique camping is in the Pink Moon area? I think Podpads were moved there in the last few years? Our friends are in a Festihut which is in the actual Boutique camping area so want to make sure we don't book something miles away.

Cheers

Just podpads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Phoenix just posted their summer tour dates, EP is on there, playing Saturday:

https://www.facebook.com/wearephoenix/photos/a.204177754432.124749.19227674432/10155216519594433/?type=3&theater

AHXYTcs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Sunday tickets on sale on Seatwave from only €450, good god!!!!

Snarky Snark Snark

wtf? Something something utterly ****ing delusional something....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Douche bags buying tickets just so they can try and make a profit. Hopefully get stuck them or sell at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

https://www.facebook.com/wearephoenix/photos/a.204177754432.124749.19227674432/10155216519594433/?type=3&theater

AHXYTcs.jpg

Came in to post same. Damn, was hoping they'd play Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I read that and assumed it was for a weekend ticket and still thought it was a silly price! Hope they get stuck with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Eod100 wrote: »
    I read that and assumed it was for a weekend ticket and still thought it was a silly price! Hope they get stuck with them!

It is a ridiculous price, I was looking at getting 2 tickets for the folks as they were interested in a Sunday ticket. I actually looked at ticketmaster site this morning , EP Sunday ticket page and was redirected to the Seatwave site , where the tickets were priced at €450, unreal price.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I am really happy with the line up this year, plenty of acts I'm interested in and I've an interest in seeing all 5 headliners. Undercard is very strong too.

However, I can see where others are coming from being unhappy with the headliners. I don't think we will get any other headliners for the record - but in terms of how big or popular the current headliners are I'd say it's weaker than previous years. Are Tribe that much more popular than Nas or Jurassic 5 who have played lower down the main stage the past 2 years? Duran Duran I would compare to Pet Shop Boys who were subheadliners two or theee years ago. Pete Tong is a strange one to have so high up but I'm sure he will be good craic.

I can see why people think the headliners don't represent good value for money but I'm happy with it. When you factor in the cost of each headliner though I'd say they have spent less on the headline acts than in previous years.

Also, nice one that Phoenix are playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Great to see Phoenix added.

Already very happy with this line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Any particular phoenix songs you'd recommend to get what they're about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

D.Q wrote: »
    Any particular phoenix songs you'd recommend to get what they're about?

1901 & Lisztomania for starters.

Or just listen to the entirety of Wolfgang Amadeus album.

Advertisement