Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

1901 and Lisztomania would be their most known tracks. Trying to be cool from their 2013 album too.
    Saw them (not the full set) at Longitude 4 years ago, and thought they were only OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Thought they were great at Longitude. Not as good as Vampire Weekend but better than Kraftwerk, which is no small feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Thought they were great at Longitude. Not as good as Vampire Weekend but better than Kraftwerk, which is no small feat.

I lost my wedding ring just before their set at Longitude that year. Fairly took the enjoyment out of the gig for me so delighted they're playing at EP to see them properly!

I've loved researching the bands on this years line up (having only known a few on the day of the announcement), some absolute belters in there that I can't wait to check out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

New Soulwax album is outstanding. They're going to be one of the highlights

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Dylar wrote: »
    I don't think you can put that on them,  that whole event was a cluster**** of note

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/killarney-festival-of-music-food-the-festival-that-failed-1.2264299

Yeah it was a disaster in terms of organisation and you can't blame Duran Duran for that but they still sold less than 5,000 tickets on a lineup with a lot of other high profile oldie/heritage acts.
    That was mainly due to lack of accommodation (for a non-camping festival) that weekend. Much more expensive than Westport (where it had been for the previous few years) and people wouldn't book without somehwere to crash.
    Duran Duran last played in the Point, and would again. Still a huge draw, and may pull the biggest crowd of the weekend at EP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

On Saturday I was the worst kind of hungover and I decided to stick on Duran Durans greatest hits while stuck in traffic in the sunshine. Bad traffic, got through the whole album and almost cured my hangover. I can't wait to see them play, they have a raaaaake of hits, great for Sunday and wild boys has always been one of my favourite songs.

And I'm not an oul wan ;)

They are bigger than ATCQ to me but then again, I wont pretend to know anything about hip hop.

And for those like me who paid discount price for my ticket last year, is the weekend worth the money - yes! There is an awful lot more than just the music going on and compared to a lot of outdoor gigs and other festivals I've been to (Oxegen/Witness - I'm looking at you) it's really well run. I didnt have to queue at a toilet once, free water, good food, so much to do......... worst part is the severe Tuesday blues back in work the following week ;)

Anyone who went to that horror of a gig in Slane (FFighters) where they confiscated your water along the 4,000 checkpoints they had going in, no food, queues over 30 mins for any kind of food/water/toilet. Worst day ever. But the glutton for punishment I am, still bought tix for GnR.....

Anyway - I love EP and just because someone isn't a 'big artist' doesnt mean they wont be the best gig you've ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dylar

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    That was mainly due to lack of accommodation (for a non-camping festival) that weekend. Much more expensive than Westport (where it had been for the previous few years) and people wouldn't book without somehwere to crash.
    Duran Duran last played in the Point, and would again. Still a huge draw, and may pull the biggest crowd of the weekend at EP.

A huge draw for the over 30s maybe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

To quote that the rap vocal on their "unique" cover of White Lines

"Higher Baby, higher Baby!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

kg703 wrote: »
    On Saturday I was the worst kind of hungover and I decided to stick on Duran Durans greatest hits while stuck in traffic in the sunshine. Bad traffic, got through the whole album and almost cured my hangover. I can't wait to see them play, they have a raaaaake of hits, great for Sunday and wild boys has always been one of my favourite songs.

And I'm not an oul wan ;)

They are bigger than ATCQ to me but then again, I wont pretend to know anything about hip hop.

And for those like me who paid discount price for my ticket last year, is the weekend worth the money - yes! There is an awful lot more than just the music going on and compared to a lot of outdoor gigs and other festivals I've been to (Oxegen/Witness - I'm looking at you) it's really well run. I didnt have to queue at a toilet once, free water, good food, so much to do......... worst part is the severe Tuesday blues back in work the following week ;)

Anyone who went to that horror of a gig in Slane (FFighters) where they confiscated your water along the 4,000 checkpoints they had going in, no food, queues over 30 mins for any kind of food/water/toilet. Worst day ever. But the glutton for punishment I am, still bought tix for GnR.....

Anyway - I love EP and just because someone isn't a 'big artist' doesnt mean they wont be the best gig you've ever seen!

You're doing it wrong, I'll be booking off the Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday this year. A day extra every year past 30 I think!

I am really happy with the line up this year, plenty of acts I'm interested in and I've an interest in seeing all 5 headliners. Undercard is very strong too.

However, I can see where others are coming from being unhappy with the headliners. I don't think we will get any other headliners for the record - but in terms of how big or popular the current headliners are I'd say it's weaker than previous years. Are Tribe that much more popular than Nas or Jurassic 5 who have played lower down the main stage the past 2 years? Duran Duran I would compare to Pet Shop Boys who were subheadliners two or theee years ago. Pete Tong is a strange one to have so high up but I'm sure he will be good craic.

I can see why people think the headliners don't represent good value for money but I'm happy with it. When you factor in the cost of each headliner though I'd say they have spent less on the headline acts than in previous years.

Also, nice one that Phoenix are playing!

I thoroughly agree about the relative weakness of the five main acts, but I think we'll have another one or two biggies. I don't expect Radiohead or the Roses but I think the likes of Kasabian or Muse are likely and some surprises. I'm happy with the line-up but when it's properly fleshed out it could be very good indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I thoroughly agree about the relative weakness of the five main acts, but I think we'll have another one or two biggies. I don't expect Radiohead or the Roses but I think the likes of Kasabian or Muse are likely and some surprises. I'm happy with the line-up but when it's properly fleshed out it could be very good indeed.
    which of the headliners do you see Kasabian or Muse subbing?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Phoenix you little duck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

There is quite a few names to fit yet in the top billing section, I reckon we will get another headliner in the next announcement come May or June.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

The press release clearly states the announced headliners are headlining what stage on what day.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Spaceshanty

Synode wrote: »
    New Soulwax album is outstanding. They're going to be one of the highlights
    Outstanding indeed, Brilliant stuff , its been on repeat since last Friday. It should be amazing live. :-)

which of the headliners do you see Kasabian or Muse subbing?
    I reckon ATCQ will play after the Sat night headliners, as per Chic, Basement Jaxx, George Clinton & others in previous years. A great act, but no more popular than Wu Tang, Public Enemy & others who've had lesser slots in bygone fests.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Phoenix just self confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

MadYaker wrote: »
    I should re phrase that. The headliners aren't necessarily crap. They just shouldn't be headlining, apart from The xx they should all be in afternoon main stage slots or maybe in the electric arena.
    Aye, that's probably fair enough!
    :)

Poorside wrote: »
    I'd agree with that, maybe EP are pulling a fast one and these are the EA headline acts for Saturday and Sunday.

Not a chance, these are mainstage.

Anyone who doesn't think Duran Duran are main stage closers has zero concept of just how massive they were in their 80s heyday (which lasted across several years/albums rather than a wham bam thank you mam).

They might be of more interest to the aul wans but they were one of the biggest beasts on the planet for a good 6-7 years and sold an utter fcukton of albums when album sales mattered (none of this spottifried bollox).

I wouldn't have been a fan at the time as they were not exactly appealing to a teen chap (more the chappettes), but with 30+ years distance, I've no problem admitting they've a **** load of really well put together catchy pop songs and will likely be well worth seeing.
    I still won't go see them, but you are right, they were muy popular in 80's/90's. Can sort of see why they are on.
    Lot of 'ould wans' go to this festival, y'know, folks!!
    ;)

We've reached the 'bargaining' stage of the Electric Picnic line-up announcement, then.

Every year - "I mean, there's a few decent acts, but those headliners must not be the headliners. They'll announce someone new in a few weeks and THEY'LL be the headliners."

Like clockwork every year.
    ...like a grief reaction thing?! Very good! 
    Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance - DABDA?
    :)

• Advertisement

I reckon ATCQ will play after the Sat night headliners, as per Chic, Basement Jaxx, George Clinton & others in previous years. A great act, but no more popular than Wu Tang, Public Enemy & others who've had lesser slots in bygone fests.
    except ATCQ are the Saturday headliners, as explicitly stated by EP.

is this going to be like last year where you claimed all through the summer that Lana Del Rey wasn't headlining?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

As much as I *hope* your wrong, I also think you're wrong too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

is this going to be like last year where you claimed all through the summer that Lana Del Rey wasn't headlining?

'member people were saying LCD wouldn't headline or draw a crowd last year?

Phoenix just posted their summer tour dates, EP is on there, playing Saturday:

giphy.gif
    Have to go see these dudes now. They must be good!!

To quote that the rap vocal on their "unique" cover of White Lines

"Higher Baby, higher Baby!"
    Was gonna say, nearly a case of 'over 50's'.

MJohnston wrote: »

'member people were saying LCD wouldn't headline or draw a crowd last year?
    Not us. And like you I hope I'm wrong about Kasabian/Muse. Foals another possibility, much more preferable.

Looks like it. Utterly wrong about that and no problem accepting it. 
    I still reckon we'll have another big act for the Saturday and will publicly apologise if wrong again. Let's see what the next two months bring in announcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

D.Q wrote: »
    Any particular phoenix songs you'd recommend to get what they're about?

They peaked with the 2004 album Alphabetical.

I still reckon we'll have another big act for the Saturday and will publicly apologise if wrong again. Let's see what the next two months bring in announcements.
    I'd love if there was a bigger act as I also don't think ATCQ are big enough, less popular than Wu-Tang, Public Enemy, Nas etc like you say, but I can't see it now that they've specifically said they're headlining Saturday, and EP know they can get away with cutting back a bit on headliners and still sell out no bother.
    might get someone on the level of Noel Gallagher again to play before them, but I think Kasabian/Muse are way too big and would have been announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I still reckon we'll have another big act for the Saturday and will publicly apologise if wrong again.

Probably Radiohead.

Advertisement