Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2017 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

mgkelly wrote: »
    We've reached the 'bargaining' stage of the Electric Picnic line-up announcement, then.

Every year - "I mean, there's a few decent acts, but those headliners must not be the headliners. They'll announce someone new in a few weeks and THEY'LL be the headliners."

Like clockwork every year.
    ...like a grief reaction thing?! Very good! 
    Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance - DABDA?
    :)
    And yet we've had the likes of Noel Gallagher, Blur, Sam Smith, The 1975, My Bloody Valentine, Robert Plant, The Killers & others as later announcements in the last five years. Three of which were headlining, at least two subbing. 

More biggies to come!

mgkelly wrote: »
    We've reached the 'bargaining' stage of the Electric Picnic line-up announcement, then.

Every year - "I mean, there's a few decent acts, but those headliners must not be the headliners. They'll announce someone new in a few weeks and THEY'LL be the headliners."

Like clockwork every year.
    ...like a grief reaction thing?! Very good! 
    Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance - DABDA?
    :)
    And yet we've had the likes of Noel Gallagher, Blur, Sam Smith, The 1975, My Bloody Valentine, Robert Plant, The Killers & others as later announcements in the last five years. Three of which were headlining, at least two subbing. 

More biggies to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    More biggies to come!

Biggie hologram appearance confirmed!

Looks like it. Utterly wrong about that and no problem accepting it. 
    I still reckon we'll have another big act for the Saturday and will publicly apologise if wrong again. Let's see what the next two months bring in announcements.
    I'd love if there was a bigger act as I also don't think ATCQ are big enough, less popular than Wu-Tang, Public Enemy, Nas etc like you say, but I can't see it now that they've specifically said they're headlining Saturday, and EP know they can get away with cutting back a bit on headliners and still sell out no bother.
    might get someone on the level of Noel Gallagher again to play before them, but I think Kasabian/Muse are way too big and would have been announced.

Yeah, great though they are I can't see how they'd hold a large Saturday night crowd. They may suffer as George Clinton did when punters expecting a loud and funky end to the Saturday evening left in droves. I'm really looking forward to seeing them but think that late night slot (if it is that) is setting them up to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Effects wrote: »
    Probably R-Word.

no, no no no no, lets not go down this rabbit hole again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

The headliner/sub headliner debate doesn't really matter does it. For example Phoenix were a headline act at Longitude a few years ago. Let's say for example the Saturday night main stage running order was Phoenix > ATCQ > Pete Tong that would IMO be a decent bill. I think over the next couple of announcements EP will pad out the line-up in a similar manner. EP doesn't need the Tier 1 acts on the line-up, it never did, what it does need is strength in depth to cover all the stages. If you look at who is touring this summer and in and around the time of EP it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we would see the likes of Little Dragon, Goldfrapp, Roykskopp, Bloc Party, Justice, Groove Armada, Jagwar Ma, Leftfield, SOHN, Teenage Fanclub, White Lies etc added, and if they continued to add bands of that calibre to the line-up throughout the summer I'd be incredibly happy. I still think there might be a band of the Foals/Kasabian calibre added too. Time will tell.

Snarky Snark Snark

I've never heard of Phoenix, should I have heard of them?

Yes, a few good albums and one great one (Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix). Think you'll recognise some of the tracks from WAP as played everywhere in 2009/2010. Match of the Day used tracks from it, lots of movies, etc. Very decent live act too.

Snarky Snark Snark

Shall investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Shall investigate.

I love the previous mentioned but think their next one 'Bankrupt' is even better.

• Advertisement

Forgot to say they used to be Air's backing band. Occasionally sound like them, but a poppier indie sound. Reckon you'll like them.

Snarky Snark Snark

Nowt wrong with Pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Forgot to say they used to be Air's backing band. Occasionally sound like them, but a poppier indie sound. Reckon you'll like them.

They were a band with the 2 lads from Daft Punk.

This song is amazing!

Yeah, had forgotten that. Impressive credentials, Air & Daft Punk. Personally prefer them to the latter, not the former. A nice addition to EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'd say Phoenix will be one of the biggest acts announced in the next announcement, we are kidding ourselves if we think there will be another headliner as it clearly states who the headliners for each night are. The line up reminds me of 2014, all of the headliners were announced in that initial poster too and then we got acts such as Blondie, Mogwai, Kelis, James Murphy, SBTRKT, The 1975 & Sampha over the next two announcements. I can see there being similar sized acts added again in the next two announcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

I'd say Phoenix will be one of the biggest acts announced in the next announcement, we are kidding ourselves if we think there will be another headliner as it clearly states who the headliners for each night are. The line up reminds me of 2014, all of the headliners were announced in that initial poster too and then we got acts such as Blondie, Mogwai, Kelis, James Murphy, SBTRKT, The 1975 & Sampha over the next two announcements. I can see there being similar sized acts added again in the next two announcements.
    That would be a nice type of an announcement alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

so whats the best camping location() for us 35-40 yr olds?... was in the jimi hendrix a couple years ago and it was a bit messy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

jobless wrote: »
    so whats the best camping location() for us 35-40 yr olds?... was in the jimi hendrix a couple years ago and it was a bit messy!
    Eco campsite if you can get it, Joplin if not. assuming you don't want to splash out for boutique camping.
    basically anywhere that isn't Hendrix or Wilde as they're like Mogadishu these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Was in Joplin in 14. Absolutely perfect. Basically had toilets to ourselves, loads of space, no rubbish. Walk isn't too bad either tbh. Few people I knew were in Hendrix, and we were down there for parts. Don't know how people managed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

I stayed in the Eco campsite and it was excellent, great atmosphere, not a scobe in sight, avoid hendrix at all costs, joplin is supposed to be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Mcbee88

Hello, always creeping on this thread so thought I'd join in the convo. Managed to get a ticket, thrilled :) feel slightly underwhelmed with the 3 headliners, but in saying that will take a dander to all 3 of them. Pleased with the 'smaller' acts announced though. Really really hoping for The Lemon Twigs to be added, they're playing The End of the Road fest, so it wouldn't be outta the question. Teenage brothers and their 2 mates, really like the sound of them-As Long As We're Together song on repeat here at the mo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Janis Joplin without any doubt.

It's a bit of a walk to the main arena but you're only going to be doing that once or maybe twice per day.

Janis Joplin without any doubt.

It's a bit of a walk to the main arena but you're only going to be doing that once or maybe twice per day.
    Fully agree with that. As a general rule the further you are from the main arena the better it'll probably be. I'm in Warhol usually (which is fine) but Joplin's where I'm headed this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

What is the point in holding off announcing other performers if it's already sold out?

nc6000 wrote: »
    What is the point in holding off announcing other performers if it's already sold out?
    Legal contracts, acts having other gigs in Ireland that haven't yet taken place, etc. But those reasons aren't likely to apply to most of the booked acts so no real excuse bar it being the EP tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Hype.

You announce all the acts in one day, your media attention lasts a day or two and everyone forgets about it until the week before the gig.

But if you string it out, you get to do the pre-announcement build-up, the announcement itself and then the post-announcement analysis two or three times over across the whole summer.

And then when it sells out months in advance again next year, you reap the rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BikesKilleen

Eco campsite if you can get it, Joplin if not. assuming you don't want to splash out for boutique camping.
    basically anywhere that isn't Hendrix or Wilde as they're like Mogadishu these days.
    Stayed in Wilde the last 2 years in pretty much the exact same spot each year (right under the only security tower) and didnt have any problems or witness any scobie-ness. All our neighbors we're sound, even sharing a game of volleyball with some on the Saturday. Good times.

Going to get good and bad in every site but yeah, Hendrix is the pits. Stayed there in '14, tents robbed on the first night and a constant sight of "undesirables". I'll never go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mcbee88

Never actually had bother myself in the Hendrix, stayed there the majority of years, we always got lucky with friendly neighbours etc.

Snarky Snark Snark

Mostly PR but not all of it EPs, some bands may have an album on the way and want to self announce to maximise their publicity so don't have festivals announce their dates yet, other bands may have local gigs they want to sell out first, then the festival will be holding some back because f**k you that's why!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Mostly PR but not all of it EPs, some bands may have an album on the way and want to self announce to maximise their publicity so don't have festivals announce their dates yet, other bands may have local gigs they want to sell out first, then the festival will be holding some back because f**k you that's why!

Which is why I'm starting the Gorillaz 4 EP rumour train right here and now.

Advertisement