Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much faster are aero wheels? (video)

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I performed a very similar experiment at the IVCA track championships yesterday. My outdoor tubular disc wheel punctured in the warm up, meaning I had to give the 2km pursuit a go with my "spare" indoor rear disc wheel. Unfortunately that 2nd wheel punctured 1400m in and I then had to borrow a bog standard clincher for the re-run. I can confirm I was slower 2nd time round.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

2 punctures would slow down any one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what caused the punctures? maybe the tyres weren't rated for the speeds you were attaining.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

what caused the punctures? maybe the tyres weren't rated for the speeds you were attaining.
    There was at least one (possibly 2) other puncture on the day. Track tyres are notorious for it when the weather is crappy like that. It's possible to pick stuff up on the gravel section around the track and even some of the grass mown in the centre may have some foreign objcts hidden away. Track tubes have little puncture protection, which is why my "best" wheel was the spare yesterday. Alas the more "robust" tyre picked up something (don't know what yet and it's not fully deflated) and then the more "delicate" one went courtesy of a very small glass fragment

2 tubs within about half an hour when I've not had a puncture on the road for about 3 years (I'm sure tomorrow the puncture gods will have their revenge now I've said that!).....

Advertisement