Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraud on Debit Card

Options
  • 05-09-2016 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello, I recently discovered 6 fraudulent transactions on my debit card. The transactions were all for the same sum (3 x €22.19, and 3 x €22.06). The first 3 transactions of €22.19 was carried out on a Friday, and the last 3 on a sunday. Luckily I checked my online account on the same Sunday and noticed the fraudulent transactions, and quickly transferred the rest of my money to another account as I couldn't get through to Bank of Ireland.

I have recently spoken to Bank of Ireland, and my card is now locked and should receive a new one soon. I also spoke to the fraud department who would carry out an investigation.

My question relates to the investigation, would they be able to tell where the transaction originated as I read about a case where someone was hassled (their card was used in Cork, even though they were in Dublin and had the card all along). I am a bit worried I won't get my money back. After researching the fraudulent transaction, I noticed the company is a Malaysian e-pay company. Can you also tell me if the investigation team can see the transaction (what was payed for, and from what IP address)? 

This would put my mind at rest and in that case I should get my money back (I know it isn't much but I can't afford to lose this money). 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sharon

Hi Kiidfresh,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The fraud case will be investigated in full by our Fraud Team, however, the details of the outcome/findings etc. would not be shared. Once the investigation is complete and fraud has been confirmed on your account, the funds will be refunded to your Current Account. 

If you wish to speak with a member of our Fraud Team regarding your case, you can contact the team directly on 01 6798993.

Thanks,

Sharon

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kiidfresh

Thanks Sharon

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kiidfresh

After I handle this fraud on my account, I am switching my Bank away from BOI. The customer service is atrocious, after blowing through €20 top up to finally talk to someone on the phone, I was told that I would receive a text from the fraud investigating team in 48 hours (this was suppose to signal the start of the investigation). 3 days later nothing has happened except when I checked my 365 account online, I was charged extra for converting euros to Malaysian Ringgits.

The service I have received so far is nothing short of poor. A similar situation occurred to a friend of mine with AIB, they received their money back in two days. Having already spent €20 topping up my pre pay phone, I have to spend more just to get BOI to confirm that they have started investigating this fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Helen

kiidfresh wrote: »
    After I handle this fraud on my account, I am switching my Bank away from BOI. The customer service is atrocious, after blowing through €20 top up to finally talk to someone on the phone, I was told that I would receive a text from the fraud investigating team in 48 hours (this was suppose to signal the start of the investigation). 3 days later nothing has happened except when I checked my 365 account online, I was charged extra for converting euros to Malaysian Ringgits.

The service I have received so far is nothing short of poor. A similar situation occurred to a friend of mine with AIB, they received their money back in two days. Having already spent €20 topping up my pre pay phone, I have to spend more just to get BOI to confirm that they have started investigating this fraud.
    Hi kiidfresh,

Thanks for contacting us again here on Boards.

We’re very sorry to hear you feel this way. Please be assured your fraud case will be fully investigated by our Security team and as soon as it is resolved and fraud is confirmed these funds will be credited back to your account.

Each fraud case is dealt with individually but we endeavour to resolve them as soon as possible to avoid further upset.

If you would like to make an official complaint in relation to this, please see our complaints process here.

We do hope that you will reconsider closing your account.

Many thanks

Helen

Advertisement