Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an post fx card

• 05-09-2016 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im thinking of getting an anpost fx card for my holiday. how long does it take to issue the card and pin? do you get both the day you apply in post office?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    Hi

Im thinking of getting an anpost fx card for my holiday. how long does it take to issue the card and pin? do you get both the day you apply in post office?

Have you looked at revolut rather than AnPost, AnPost's rates are horrible!

Anyhow, if you have all you documentation with you (Passport, Proof of Address) you get the cards and PIN right there and than, they are ready to use as soon as you have them.

You can get 2 cards with one active, the other as backup and both are linked to the same account.

Once home you can register the cards online so that you can see transactions and balances and also change your address if you want.

Once you have the cards you also can do online top-ups via the web from any Debit card.

But once again, the rates are horrible, they might claim it's commission free but you certainly get a bad rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Have you looked at revolut rather than AnPost, AnPost's rates are horrible!

Anyhow, if you have all you documentation with you (Passport, Proof of Address) you get the cards and PIN right there and than, they are ready to use as soon as you have them.

You can get 2 cards with one active, the other as backup and both are linked to the same account.

Once home you can register the cards online so that you can see transactions and balances and also change your address if you want.

Once you have the cards you also can do online top-ups via the web from any Debit card.

But once again, the rates are horrible, they might claim it's commission free but you certainly get a bad rate.

Thanks. Just looked into the revolut card. Looks good. I've applied for one but estimated delivery is two days after we fly. But I'll have it for next trip! I might hold off on getting an post fxcard until day before I go just incase revolut card comes early.

I know rates aren't great with an post. It's the card I want though. I have cash and a credit card but most of my limit will be taken up with car hire deposit so just wanted another card. don't want to use debit card I'll have money for bills in that account and don't want to overspend and have mortgage etc bounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Revolut can send you an emergency card that does not have your name on it faster if required, chat to customer support. But I think that costs extra.

Otherwise the AnPost card is great for the purpose you want it for and you can always to it up via your debit card if for example you loose your credit card and need to use the card more often.

Please be aware that if you use the AnPost card in an ATM you will be liable to Stamp Duty.

Also note that the AnPost card won't have your name on it, it just says "Currency Card" where the name usually is, which can be sometimes an issue in hotels etc.

But otherwise it's a CHIP+PIN card and it should work, sometimes in the US you need to choose "debit" rather than credit for it to work.

Enjoy your holidays.

There is also a larger thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056937192 for some additional tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement