Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1.6 HDI turbo failure prevention

• 05-09-2016 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭

I was looking at preventing turbo failure on the 1.6 HDI on Google today and some of the suggestions are to remove the oil filter gauze from the oil feed into the turbo.

The logic is that the oil filter is already filtering out any particles out of the oil and the gauze in the oil feed is more coarse than the oil filter itself so it won't remove anything and just blocks up the flow.

Has anyone done this mod? How has the turbo lasted after it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

We have done loads of them as a preventative measure. Remove the sump and clean it out and replace the oil pump pickup pipe as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

We have done loads of them as a preventative measure. Remove the sump and clean it out and replace the oil pump pickup pipe as well.

For the oil feed, is it just a matter of removing the filter gauze or do you need to buy a modified oil feed pipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

any evidence that there is any intrinsic bad thing about these engines apart from the fact that they need to be driven considerately, serviced on time and given uncontaminated fuel(all of which are probably too much to expect of the average Irish motorist).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

See here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

We have one of these and have put 100,000 miles on it without issue,it had 12000 miles on it when purchased.I change the oil every 7500 miles and use total quartz ineo ecs c2 5w30(recommended oil) and it has never missed a beat.I get mahle filters these are oe.Regular oil changes are critical with this engine imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

737max wrote: »
    any evidence that there is any intrinsic bad thing about these engines apart from the fact that they need to be driven considerately, serviced on time and given uncontaminated fuel(all of which are probably too much to expect of the average Irish motorist).

While this is in part true, it's all to easy blame the average motorist when in fact they were slightly misled from the get go. I'm a big fan of these engines particularily it's smaller sibling the 1.4hdi but weren't the original service intervals
    15k km for severe (driving) conditions and 20k km for mild? problem was most would assume they fitted the mild scenario when in fact nearly everyone fell under the severe criteria.
    Add to this that 10k km is actually reported to be the best interval but only those who actively researched this could know this so it's a bit much to expect Bridie down the road to have the necessary knowledge to second guess PSA and what the initially recomended.
    Couple this with garages selling dodgy diesel which eats the soft injector seals and some indi mechanics not using low ash synthetic oil and it's no wonder the 1.6hdi had reliability issues and these issues extend far beyond just Ireland.
    It's a good engine but customers were misled when it came to how durable it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

I have close to 250,000Km on a 1.6HDi with zero engine problems to date.
    I use the correct oil (C2 5W30) that I buy in 20 litre drums. Some advocate 5W40 but I prefer the slightly thinner 5W30 in this engine.
    I change oil every 10,000Km.
    And, most importantly IMO, I tip in a can of STP or Wynn's Engine Flush and drive the car gently for about 15 minutes before changing the oil.
    Engine Flush is like kerosene, it thins the oil out and it should clear out those filters, pickups etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

deandean wrote: »
    I have close to 250,000Km on a 1.6HDi with zero engine problems to date.
    I use the correct oil (C2 5W30) that I buy in 20 litre drums. Some advocate 5W40 but I prefer the slightly thinner 5W30 in this engine.
    I change oil every 10,000Km.
    And, most importantly IMO, I tip in a can of STP or Wynn's Engine Flush and drive the car gently for about 15 minutes before changing the oil.
    Engine Flush is like kerosene, it thins the oil out and it should clear out those filters, pickups etc.

I have looked at engine flush products in the past but understand that these can damage seals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I have this engine in a Mazda 3. I buy the genuine mazda 5w30 oil C1 low saps oil and oil filter. I drop it every 9500 Km. I have 100K miles on it with no turbo issue.

I had leaking injectors which I got fixed asap as well as new glow plugs fitted. It has not given me any issue to-date which I hope stays the same.

Advertisement