Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike won't start - immobiliser or alarm

• 05-09-2016 11:04am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Can't start my Honda Deauville today. Its fitted with what I think is a Laserline alarm. When I turn the key the lights come on as normal but the alarm usually beeps to prompt you to disarm it but there is no sound. Ignition doesn't turn over. Ive checked its in neutral etc etc. Battery is charged as the headlights work etc.

Bike has been idle for 4 days while I was away but no issues last week.

Does this sound like a Laserline issue or the Honda Immobiliser itself?

Any thoughts on how to fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I think its the alarm. I have never ever seen a reliable bike alarm and hear a lot of stories about people being stranded by them screwing up.

Disconnect the alarm from the bike and try fire it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Have you checked the kill switch?

DAMHIK

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks folks. No it's not the kill switch

I'm mechanic illiterate. Is there any easy way to know which wire goes to the battery? I'm not sure where the alarm is fitted. If I disconnect the alarm from the battery though will that not kill the bike completely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if that resets the alarm. Whilst you're in there remake any connections that you have access to.

I have a Laserline alarm on a Honda VFR but it has a fob which I have to use to disable the alarm, then the engine will turnover. My alarm is fitted under the plastic near pillion seat, I remove tailpiece for access. Try starting sitting on bike, stand up, double check the neutral.

I have had some strange scenarios that I have never really figured out..... such as same issue as you and then a recycle the kill switch and bike will start. I have the manual for my alarm on PDF somewhere, PM me for a copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

faceman wrote: »

If I disconnect the alarm from the battery though will that not kill the bike completely?

I would think so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Just as an update. Came home tonight to see if I could disconnect the battery. Before I did anything put key in to see what would happen and everything worked fine. Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

faceman wrote: »
    Just as an update. Came home tonight to see if I could disconnect the battery. Before I did anything put key in to see what would happen and everything worked fine. Weird.

Check the side stand switch. Could be corrosion or a bad connection, it's a weak point on lots of bikes due to its location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If it has a clutch lever switch that could cause the same problem.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement