Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridal Makeup

Options
  • 05-09-2016 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭

I am thinking about doing my own makeup for my wedding and looking for recommendations for suitable products, i.e. foundations and powders suitable for flash photographery, waterproof eye makeup, natural looking long-wear lip products etc.

I'm particularly worried about the flash photographery issue!

Has anyone recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Make sure the foundation has no SPF anyhow for no flash back!
    Why don't you get a couple of samples of foundation you think might suit your skin and try them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Oh I will try get a few for sure, hoping for some recommendations! I've got a good bit of time left but I'd like to start getting samples etc. and seeing what works!

I've a few foundations with no spf that I've gotten flash back with, I assume that's the powder then?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

GingerLily wrote: »
    Oh I will try get a few for sure, hoping for some recommendations! I've got a good bit of time left but I'd like to start getting samples etc. and seeing what works!

I've a few foundations with no spf that I've gotten flash back with, I assume that's the powder then?

Possibly the talc if that in it? I don't know much about powders to be honest, not a fan! Mac prolong wear I like but it has factor 10 although I've never noticed flash back in any pics I've had taken with it on! I'm sure someone else will be along with a lot more experience/knowledge then me!

I'd leave your skin type etc in first post so will be easier for people the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

How much coverage do you need?

Estee Lauder doublewear although pricey, has great lasting coverage but it is heavy enough if you are not a fan of that it might not suit..? I use it for weddings when I am wearing tan, it doesn't need powder to set it, and it does last all day! It is quite thick and sets quite quickly so you can't dawdle putting it on :D I have quite good skin, but I get red cheeks when I eat certain things due to intolerances, and at weddings I generally eat what I want so need an extra bit of coverage to make up for my lack or self control haha :)

Yeah I made that mistake at my engagement party, the photos all show white face and tan neck, and my foundation has no spf in it so had to have been the powder!

• Advertisement

EL double wear breaks me out :( and I mean really badly, cistic spots will come up after 10 hours wear kinds thing while its still on!

What is Mac Pro longwear like? Is it very heavy/ cakey? Mac studio tech was an old favourite and is very flattering in photos bit can be cakey up close!

I need medium coverage, I have clinque foundation (beyond perfection 2in1-no spf) i quite like it's but the powder and setting spray I'm not sure about!

Also waterproof or durable smudge proof mascara and eyeliners recommendations please :)

Ahhhh okay I've only ever worn it a handful of times, but I have actually heard about other people breaking out after wearing it alright!

I think prolongwear is what my friend used on my other friend for her wedding and will probably be what she will use on me also... it looked nice not too cakey but I've never worn it myself so I can't judge :)

I recently got a maybelline liquid eyeliner, I'll try find the name of it, its unreal! I wore it out the other night and (stupidly) fell asleep in it and it was still 100% the next day!

Whenever I got my makeup done (its only been like 2 or 3 times) I always felt cakey as I'm not used to wearing so much, but the photos looked fab! so its a toss up :)

I'm going to probably have to take selfies on my own with the flash on to see what causes flashback! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I'm going to probably have to take selfies on my own with the flash on to see what causes flashback! Lol
    Yeah that's probably the best thing to do! Also MAC offer a bridal service where they give you a lesson in application with tips on things like flashback and making foundation last which you might be interested in. Other brands too I'm sure but Mac is the only one I have experience of. If you are going to try the pro longwear suggested above make sure to get a sample as it is known for oxidising and changing colour on some people. If it was my big day I would use Laura Mercier because I love how flawless it can look and lasts very well..... however I'd have someone do it for me as I'd be a nervous wreck! Congratulations and best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

No product recommendations but wanted to suggest getting eyelash extensions instead of using false eyelashes.

Even with waterproof mascara, if you cry or become teary the glue for the falsies will weaken & the lashes will start peeling off at the edges and just generally look awful.

Not sure if you were even planning on wearing false eyelashes but something for you to consider if your so inclined!

What kind of price would they be? It sounds very handy for having as I'll need to look my best the day befor and after ss well

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

My make-up artist used laura mercier foundation for my wedding it has no flashback and my make-up was flawless all day and night deffo worth trying a sample it is full coverage but doesn't feel cakey on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

Bobbi Brown do free Bridal make up lessons, you just have to book in advance and no purchase necessary. It would be handy to pick up tips and tricks. I just wished I lived closer to a BB counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Roughly where are you based GL? I've been wearing eyelash extensions for years and have a girl I go to who's based in North County Dublin if thats any use to you? I think a full set is about €65 or so, then refills (I go every 3/4 weeks) are €25/30 depending on how much work is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mussha

Airbase make up is designed for no flashback etc. That's why it's used o TV so much. Most bridal makeup artists use airbase.
    Www.airbasemakeup.ie/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Dior forever and ever foundation or SUQQU foundation, expensive but worth it and you cant beat Chanel lipsticks, I dont have a budget for Chanel products but I invest in their lipsticks as theyre so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Eyelash extensions go from about 60 - 120. I'm getting them done for my brothers wedding next week and can't wait! Mine are going to cost 60 - its a girl in a local salon.

Obviously the bigger places in the city center etc cost more.

Advertisement