Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the age limit for an e-cigarette in Ireland?

Options
  • 05-09-2016 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I was at a family gathering yesterday and was talking to my cousins. We ended up talking about e-cigarettes because my aunt started using them. Which they were shocked at. They started having an argument about the age limit for them anyway. So to shut them up I told them to google it but we couldn't find anything that gave us a definitive answer. So I said I'd check on here and before anyone says anything about smoking or nicotine I have and will never smoke. I just want to know or else it will annoy me and them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't think anybody else knows either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'm guessing he means is the an limit to legally purchase an ecigarette the same way as there is an age limit of 16 on tobacco products.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 walkingpsycho

I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't think anybody else knows either.

I did some more looking into it and there's no law against under 18s getting e-cigarettes (vape) but stores generally tend not to sell them to under 18s anyway.

Sorry if my question doesn't make sense I'm not great at making sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Yes. Under the TPD regulations Nicotine containing products like e-cigs, gels and lozenges can not be sold to anyone under the age of 18. They cannot be provided to under 18's either so mammy can't buy one for Johnny who want to give up the fags. Poor Johnny has to get gum, patches or the spray if he's over 12. Under 12 he needs a doctor's prescription.
    Under 18 can not work in a shop selling e-cigs only and if working in a shop that sells tobacco or e-cigs as part of the range can not serve them to customers.
    This is now law since May this year. But, there's always a but! The law has not been specifically legislated for so it's currently a grey area in the sense you are breaking the law if you sell to under 18 but their is no act to prosecute you under.
    The actual act is due in November this year and will include all the TPD provisions, 10ml bottles, 20mg limit, warnings and information leaflets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement