Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help...Laurel bushes have turned into trees

Options
  • 05-09-2016 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

:eek:

I want to take the height down to about 8 ft . Currently they are about 16ft high.
    If i cut them back will it promote growth further down? See from the pic it's very sparse.

[IMG][/img]zuSwSB2l.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In theory, yes laurel will obligingly sprout from old wood. However that corner looks very shady, so that might create an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

if i was you i would take them out altogether. they grow very tall within a mattter of years. They will bow to the sun in whatever way it can to there could be a huge slant on the top end. Any big wind comes they go down like a house of cards. and once they get a foot hold they are like weeds.
    mind you my experience with them is not in ireland, so my advice to you could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

looksee wrote: »
    In theory, yes laurel will obligingly sprout from old wood. However that corner looks very shady, so that might create an issue.
    In relation to Laurel it's not just theory, in practice they are probably one of the most successful plants at regenerating after hard pruning, if there is an issue, then the time a year isn't ideal, but assuming the wall is 6ft high then pruning it now to 2ft above the wall should present no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

Done deal. Hopefully they fill out again next spring.

[IMG][/img]q071qvih.jpg

Done deal. Hopefully they fill out again next spring.

[IMG][/img]q071qvih.jpg

Good job, given the location of the plants they'll tend to put new growth on from the top, keep the top trimmed regularly and that will encourage new growth lower down where you want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

When you say regularly. ...how often do you reckon and when? Every spring maybe? Want to keep a handle on things from here on in.

When you say regularly. ...how often do you reckon and when? Every spring maybe? Want to keep a handle on things from here on in.

You've done the heavy work now and to reap the rewards of that you should keep on top of it. Two or three times a year should do the trick but you'll have to gauge it yourself, it will only require a light trim, so when there is about 6 inches of new growth at the top of the plants, trim them back to the height you have it now and that will encourage new growth lower down.

Advertisement