Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Character Reference

Options
  • 05-09-2016 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

I need a character reference for a new job I've been offered.

It cannot come from my current employer/colleagues.

I'm at a loss here. I asked my doctor for one, and she obliged, but the letter I received was minimal and not satisfactory.

I haven't been involved in clubs/societies for years.

I'm not close to anyone who owns a business.

Any ideas on who I could ask?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Why not from your current job? If you can't get one there, that's a definite red flag for your new employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

bpmurray wrote: »
    Why not from your current job? If you can't get one there, that's a definite red flag for your new employer.

No, that's not true. Most employers understand that you might not be in a position to alert your existing employer to the fact that you're looking for a new job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Any team sports coach? Any priest/doctor/garda friend of the family? Any teacher / lecturer that you were close to? Any voluntary organisation that you helped out?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dreoilin

bpmurray wrote: »

Since I've already provided references from my current employer she wants something from somewhere else too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

My old roommate needed one before and I gave him one they sent me a email asked me about him and I said what ever he wonted and after he got the job no questions asked.

So ask someone you lived with it something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you involved in any sort of community organisation at all? Someone there would be the obvious start.

Parish priest / Vicar / Pastor / Rabbi / whatever you're having (if you have even a vague link to one)

GP. Lawyer. Accountant (If you have any of those.)

Former school teacher / principal (depending on how old you are) or university lecturer.

Friend - especially if they happen to be a guard or something.

Neighbour, or someone from the management company of where you live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

dreoilin wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm at a loss here. I asked my doctor for one, and she obliged, but the letter I received was minimal and not satisfactory.

Get in contact with someone from the clubs/societies you were involved in.

They can legitimately endorse your good character using terms such as

"I have known the OP for 10/15/20 years through mutual interests in a sporting/social/community setting and I have found him to be dependable, conscientious and approachable in all our interactions. On that basis I would consider the OP to be of good character and would have no hesitation in recommending them for employment with your organisation.

Should you wish to confirm this you can reach me by email at abc@xyz.internerd or via phone on 0123456789.

Sincerely,

Former acquaintance Blogs"

No need for silly long letters of recommendation. A clear-cut 'Yep' is all they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

College lecturer or secondary school principal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I had a friend provide a character reference for me for my last job even though we had no professional relationship. Why not get a friend to do it? Have you rented recently - maybe a landlord could provide one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

dreoilin wrote: »
    Hi,

Maybe try this:)

https://youtu.be/SoZ41i2dSIw

• Advertisement
Advertisement