Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman calling to door; TV signal question

Options
  • 05-09-2016 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Asking for someone I know...
    Is there a woman going around Letterkenny asking about TV signals? Someone I know had a woman call to the door, she said she was in the area checking the strength of the TV signal. She was told: "I'm just on my way out, so I can't help you." And she insisted that it would only take "two minutes" and asked to be let into the house to turn on the TV. Again she was told not a good time and the door was closed in her face. She wasn't asked for, and didn't provide ID of any kind. Nor does the person I spoke with remember if she said who she worked for. The person I know found the whole thing unsettling and was wondering if I could shed any light on it.
    Anybody?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd err on the side of it being some form of scam but wind farm operators are sometimes made do signal strength maps before/after construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sounds dodgy to me.

If it was someone official they would normally start off by introducing themselves and showing id. If they didn't I would watch them carefully.

Sounds like a scam where they would keep you occupied in the TV room whilst others sneaked in and did some stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Ring Shaun Doherty. Get a good aul witch hunt up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Someone checking on TV licenses?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭Ericdravancrow

Let local Garda know...she could be out casing houses/ elderly people to rob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Speedwell wrote: »
    Someone checking on TV licenses?
    Again, they would introduce themselves as TV licence inspectors.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A TV signal checker sounds a bit like the wallet inspector to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Nollog

You sure she wasn't just a neighbour?

Advertisement